• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

I'd love for them to go back to H2 style Cortana. I'm not sure even if you increased the fidelity that the H1 Cortana would be easy to read in terms of expressions and facial movements given the clashing colors and data scrolls.

Digital Cortana is dead. She uploaded her consciousness into an empty clone housed at a secret UNSC base, and Chief is on the move to find her and clothe her naughty bits with his poncho.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So i cant be a part of a community unless i blindly follow the devs? Just because of my opinion on David Ellis (whom i've had words with in the past) and Frankie ( whom says things and the opposite happens) means i cant be a part of this community?

Put your personal relationships with them aside and think clearly. Asking a question like that sounds kinda uppity.

Sorry, GAF has higher standards than that nonsense. Even if they weren't developers, they're fellow GAF members.

Sorry, GAF has higher standards than that nonsense. Even if they weren't developers, they're fellow GAF members.

yeah i agree

jcH6L1O.png

VRVsFEi.png

Since I know HaloGAF is pretty international can you guys tell me if I got the traductions for goal (as in a car race goal) right? I'm perfecting my rocket race gametype and I want to get the navpoints right :)

German: ZIEL
French: OBJECTIF
Italian: SCOPO
Portuguese: BALIZA

IHaveIce

Banned
Since I know HaloGAF is pretty international can you guys tell me if I got the traductions for goal (as in a car race goal) right? I'm perfecting my rocket race gametype and I want to get the navpoints right :)

German: ZIEL
French: OBJECTIF
Italian: SCOPO
Portuguese: BALIZA

Yes.

FyreWulff

A large amount of people in that thread don't even care what was said, they just have some epic heat for Ellis and are walking in the door with their wordbats already out.

Karl2177

A large amount of people in that thread don't even care what was said, they just have some epic heat for Ellis and are walking in the door with their wordbats already out.

It also doesn't help that 70% of gaming side will get up in arms whenever someone criticizes anything Japanese.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Apparently the character Ellis was criticizing is a mute and is tortured at some point?

Jesus.

edit: vvvv yo dawg check your twitter DMs

It also doesn't help that 70% of gaming side will get up in arms whenever someone criticizes anything Japanese.

They're an infallible race of master craftsmen.

Who buy used panties out of vending machines.

I lived in Japan for 7 years, so in case you're wondering the whole Florida / Japan combo is probably responsible for my insanity.

FyreWulff

Cortana was a bit absurd but at least it was a coherent design, and they achieved it in part by bodyscanning a woman so it at least had women influence it's design somewhat

That Quiet character is a woman dressed by a dude and it shows and is a visual trainwreck.

Cortana sucks. Quiet sucks. Gaming sucks. It all sucks. Someone shoot me a pm or email when games start having female characters that don't look or sound dumb.

Nowise10

...Honestly, I don't this this should be an issue at all. If a game designer wants to make a game with a half naked girl in it, go ahead. If a designer wants to make one with a naked, ripped guy as the protagonist, be my guest. You aren't forced to buy it. I don't really understand why others think should censor games and stop, because other people get mad at seeing sexualized characters.

AKA: Let people create games they want to play, and let people buy games they want to play.

...Honestly, I don't this this should be an issue at all. If a game designer wants to make a game with a half naked girl in it, go ahead. If a designer wants to make one with a naked, ripped guy as the protagonist, be my guest. You aren't forced to buy it. I don't really understand why others think should censor games and stop, because other people get mad at seeing sexualized characters.

AKA: Let people create games they want to play, and let people buy games they want to play.

No one wants to censor anything, they just want better reasons and rationalizations for designs. It makes games better too. Designs should be about reinforcing who a character is before anything else. With many characters it's the reverse, especially female ones. Make her sexy, figure out the rest later. Shows when it comes to the story bad.

Fuchsdh

No one wants to censor anything, they just want better reasons and rationalizations for designs. It makes games better too. Designs should be about reinforcing who a character is before anything else. With many characters it's the reverse, especially female ones. Make her sexy, figure out the rest later. Shows when it comes to the story bad.

Agreed. I'm all for all my characters being attractive--I see enough fat ugly shlubs in real life. But when it compromises the characters, you've gone too far. I cannot believe that the MGS chick is supposed to be a sniper, and I see no benefit to her outfit.

Also: for all the time they spent sculpting her body, her face needs some work. Those dead, doll-like eyes...

daedalius

That's a sniper outfit?

Oh Japanese.

There are so many stupid and wrong things in this statement, its hard to know where to begin. Unfortunately the only reason I saw it was because it had been quoted.

FyreWulff

Also where is her spotter

They could have a chance to have an actual character relationship with her spotter outside of what I'm assuming will be "Snake snake snake snake snake".

Even Halo 2 remembered spotters exist!

ApdjxFJ.jpg

(always thought that was a nice attention to detail, even though it's on screen for about 3 seconds)

Also where is her spotter

They could have a chance to have an actual character relationship with her spotter outside of what I'm assuming will be "Snake snake snake snake snake".

Even Halo 2 remembered spotters exist!

ApdjxFJ.jpg

(always thought that was a nice attention to detail, even though it's on screen for about 3 seconds)

Epic trailer ,i remember it : )

TheOddOne

I don't think anybody is going to dispute that. At the same time, everybody is entitled to criticize aspects of games. For example: level design, audio design, feedback, underlying systems, storylines, voice acting etc. All those examples are being put to scrutiny every day, even though most of the people discussing them are not masters at that specific craft and/or has even helped make a less then stellar game. This doesn’t make their opinion instantly invalid. Even the most valid points often come from the least likely places.

The way David engaged it was poor though, but the way it was blown up is kind of hyperbolic and reeks of headline grabbing from the website that pointed out the tweet. The only thing this whole episode has told us that versus mentality is driving a lot of rage antics. Pointing out men who are sexualized is totally missing the point, that is not the norm but is something that happens irregularly. Women being sexualized is something that is more the norm then the exception – which is a problem and is a discussion worth having. If there was a good balance of respectable female characters, then a few sexualized female characters would not even cause that much of a ruckus – but there isn’t enough, that is the underlying problem.

I should really do this in that thread, but people will be pointing at my avatar the whole time to disregard my opinion.

Gaming in 2013.

Actually the first trailer its kinda weird and gives you how Kojima sees the war and guerrilla to something fun.

Seriously, in the first trailer they are in south america, with english signs, with western dudes talking japanese hurting a kid who looks like an US kid but he born in southamerica so he must be white of course! And now the sniper chick using that "suit" in the desert.

MGS is surely a weird game series.

GhaleonEB

To me the bigger issue is the prevalence of that kind of treatment of female game characters, rather than the single instance. It's easy to say just don' buy that one game because of it. That actually rules out a lot of games. There needs to be a change. As Dev said the entire approach is backward and the result is something I find really off-putting.

Which is not to say naked women or whatever don't have a role to play in games. Far from it! Just that I'm weary of seeing this kind of treatment so widespread, across so many contexts.

Not really much in it to be honest. Hopefully what frank says is true and we can expect the competitive community to be looked after better with future titles.

The Halo4GC was amazing to watch HaloGAF was buzzing as was twitter and I was n the end of my seat at the final. I want much more of that.

Primarily however I want a Halo game I'll stay up till 4 in the morning shitting on scrubs with USHaloGAF.

Duji

Spectator mode is pretty much confirmed for Halo 5. Frankie couldn't have come any closer to saying it without completely spilling the beans.

FyreWulff

It's pretty oppressing to be a dev and you have to be on-the-clock 24 fucking 7 because TMZ-style journalism gets everyone's jimmies going.

Same problem where Tim McDev at Bungie goes "I don't like Invasion" and it gets written as "Bungie didn't like Invasion", or Carol McProgrammer goes "I don't like Ironsights" and the headline the next day is "Infinity Ward regrets implementing ironsights".

Being told you can't comment on something because something you were employed to work on doesn't completely line up with what you think in multi-hundred person staffed developer is ludicrous and just shuts down conversation instead of letting the conversation happen.

Most of the people in that thread aren't even interested in debate, it's either people defense forcing Kojima or just trying to get a dig in at Ellis. And in all honesty, if David HAD openly mentioned he didn't like Cortana before, it would have been the same high-school mentality thread with "ooooooooo 343 dev doesn't like what 343 is doing look at dis drama click click gimme hits".

Developers aren't the servants of gamers, they can have their own opinion that doesn't match up with their employer. Gamers want more openness then attack anyone that's open because they've got their identity wrapped up in a game or another developer. How is the situation even supposed to evolve if nobody can say anything?

Kojima thing is such a non issue, it's a fucking videogame character, christ.

Man baby confirmed.

But really I think Ellis is being hypocritical considering how cortana in Halo 4 looks. That said i couldn't care less I've seen worse character design and better.

Ramirez

Man baby confirmed.

But really I think Ellis is being hypocritical considering how cortana in Halo 4 looks. That said i couldn't care less I've seen worse character design and better.

Man baby in this case must have meant people who have far too little time to care about whatever hackjob character design Kojima & company have shit out this time.

Blueblur1

I'd love for them to go back to H2 style Cortana. I'm not sure even if you increased the fidelity that the H1 Cortana would be easy to read in terms of expressions and facial movements given the clashing colors and data scrolls.

Halo 2 Cortana is definitely my favorite. I really like the way they modeled her. Her hair looks especially great, IMO. And while she was "sexier" it wasn't in your face. The graphic fidelity is certainly part of it, of course. Then again you can probably make a hi-res model of Cortana that looks like she's in a body suit as opposed to completely nude like Halo 4's model (with larger, sagging breasts and all). I am not a fan of that thing.

Edit: And as for David's comment, a mountain was made out of a molehill. The shame in it is that he voiced his opinion when he works for a studio who just went up a notch with their own sexualized main female character. Not exactly a smart thing to do but it happens. I hope he hasn't jeopardized his job over this. That would suck.

Halo 2 Cortana is definitely my favorite. I really like the way they modeled her. Her hair looks especially great, IMO. And while she was "sexier" it wasn't in your face. The graphic fidelity is certainly part of it, of course. Then again you can probably make a hi-res model of Cortana that looks like she's in a body suit as opposed to completely nude like Halo 4's model (with larger, sagging breasts and all). I am not a fan of that thing.

Edit: And as for David's comment, a mountain was made out of a molehill. The shame in it is that he voiced his opinion when he works for a studio who just went up a notch with their own sexualized main female character. Not exactly a smart thing to do but it happens. I hope he hasn't jeopardized his job over this. That would suck.

I too loved cortana's lush hair in halo 2. Every now and then I'd smell my monitor because I'd forget I wasn't in the game.

Digital head and shoulders, mmmmmmm.

I actually think Halo 4 Cortana is beautiful. Her face I mean. Her ridiculously banging body almost takes away from that being the she actually looks naked. Her body is modeled in such a voluptuous way it's distracting. Even the shape of her natural looking brea...

...I'll be right back.

Finished reading the interview from gamespot. What i don't get is that they are trying to make it more accessible but Halo was always known as an accessible shooter.

I've been making all sorts of art assets for people as per request, and one of them was too fun not to turn into a halogaf banner.

iuJFKwXVmhszg.png

When Halo |OT19| OddOne OT2: I Don't Think You Understand The Gauntlet Of That Request comes around
in 200 years
, I'll be ready.

I've been making all sorts of art assets for people as per request, and one of them was too fun not to turn into a halogaf.

iuJFKwXVmhszg.png

When Halo |OT19| OddOne OT2: I Don't Think You Understand The Gauntlet Of That Request comes around
in 200 years
, I'll be ready.

lmao at the bugs buggy on the center.

Top Bottom