• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Blueblur1

Wow. Don't you just love it when 343 people go all VISIONARY CREATOR on our asses? They were hired to make a very specific thing, not to stretch their creative butt muscles reinventing the wheel.
"Now that we're done with Super Turbo Pac-Man Tournament Edition XP 2014, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should. THESE MAZES ARE RESTRAINING MY CREATIVE SOOOOOUUUUUL!"

An excellent post that is smart and funny. Cheers.

HitScan needs to go, especially with the promise of dedicated servers for Halo on Xbox One™.

Power Weapons that already have it should keep it though, unless 343 feels like making it rain Power Weapons again.

Oh and strafing/movement needs to play a much larger role in Halo on Xbox One™.

Go play Halo 3 for a few days. I'm willing to bet money you'd come back saying that hitscan should stay. It is SO MUCH BETTER than the bullet travel junk.

The better solution is to nix the DMR and rely on the BR and Carbine. They're not nearly as effective from a large distance so players can feel safe moving about the map and snipers wouldn't get pinged like crazy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm okay with bullet travel in games like Battlefield, but I can't say I'm a fan of the mechanic in a faster paced game like Halo. Aside from energy weapons or rockets, bullets should go where I shoot them imo.

Defect

I like bullet travel in Halo. Halo 5 pls

Go play Halo 3 for a few days. I'm willing to bet money you'd come back saying that hitscan should stay. It is SO MUCH BETTER than the bullet travel junk.

I still play Halo 3 a lot. I enjoy leading shots. The only problem is the netcode but matches are still great and much more enjoyable than Reach and 4.

Elite_Comparisons.jpg

Seriously?

Blueblur1

I like bullet travel in Halo. Halo 5 pls

I still play Halo 3 a lot. I enjoy leading shots. The only problem is the netcode but matches are still great and much more enjoyable than Reach and 4.

The matches are great. Leading shots and old netcode are not.

Leading shots in Halo was stupid. People complained it about it when the game was active and its still stupid today.

Next people are going to say we need dual wielding and AR starts as default back.

I really like how you think. I want this kind of Halo!

HGS

Thanks mate, there's a few omissions but only so much time to put things together.

Here's the article: http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=14347

I do think that they provide the only decent justification for a three-shot burst, though, in that having a weak but accurate single bullet will ping snipers and finish off far players, but the weapon's efficacy in actually bringing down far players is dramatically reduced by up to 2/3rds, plus bullet travel time. It's a decent compromise, and I think with better networking conditions should work far better.*

*I'm assuming ignoring the dedis that any Peer networking game on the XB1 would be dramatically better than the 360 given that they won't have the same bandwidth restrictions.

Thanks for the article, I remember that one, it does state "like hitscan" at close range so it's an approximation at close range. Still with good server networking and regional matching it could provide the competitive close-mid range battles while keeping leading and variation for long-extreme. I'd never want to return to the host advantages of Halo 2/3 though, which is why I favour hitscan mostly. Oh and the pinging snipers is the best bit, no real damage but ping them. In Reach & 4 I never felt like I'm pinging snipers but just destroying them out right at almost any range due to the long range accuracy of the DMR, I still love it though, it's a guilty pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DeZUg9HiY

How would something like this work for future FPS games? Could something like this be utilized for future Halo games?

An interesting idea, Next Gen Indie FPS Confirmed ;) The issue would be getting more than just that "portion of the game" working. They'd have to do vehicles, netcode etc all tying into the physics philosophy. Too much for something like Halo to redevelop in engine I think. I also wonder how performance would go when you start looking at more detailed models, environments and all that. Most likely it would go the way of voxels, great in isolated theory but very poor in game development/run-time reality.

FyreWulff

I liked the Halo 3 elites most myself, reminded me of viking/nordic warriors. They even made the Arbiter's armor look more middle-age than futuremetalsheen in Halo 2. Talk about combat and war like nobles. They were also your allies, so it fit.

Halo 1's elites were meant to be scary, and have the most anime look to them. That americanized, Aeon Flux-ish anime appearance. They look punk. If you kind of look at the H1 elite above, it looks like he's wearing a jacket and alien leather jeans.

Reach's felt like a midpoint between Halo 3's noble appearance and Halo 1's scary appearance.

Also, in multiplayer, Elites just had so much more character and life to their animations. Spartans are all methodical and to the point, the Elites are always showing off and seem like they're having fun in battle.

I don't know where to place the Halo Wars Elites.

tl;dr:

Xfe97kSl.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
WTF @ people wanting bullet travel in Halo. People were doing backflips when the hitscan BR was announced for Halo 4, and now yall want to go back.

miyamotowinduwaika.jpg

Nebula

An excellent post that is smart and funny. Cheers.

The better solution is to nix the DMR and rely on the BR and Carbine. They're not nearly as effective from a large distance so players can feel safe moving about the map and snipers wouldn't get pinged like crazy.

I played Halo 3 enough to realise that it was crap host that made bullet travel and shot registration a problem. With Halo on Xbox One having dedis, that issue should pop up a lot less.

The return of leading shots and a strafe being potentially more effective sounds great to me.

I played Halo 3 enough to realise that it was crap host that made bullet travel and shot registration a problem. With Halo on Xbox One having dedis, that issue should pop up a lot less.

The return of leading shots and a strafe being potentially more effective sounds great to me.

The shit was still a problem on LAN too.

Omni

WTF @ people wanting bullet travel in Halo. People were doing backflips when the hitscan BR was announced for Halo 4, and now yall want to go back.

miyamotowinduwaika.jpg
I imagine a big part of that is due to the fact that we knew that the game was P2P. Hitscan weapons on P2P are so much more reliable than those with actual projectiles. I had so many games in Halo 3 that were frustrating because my BR shots weren't 'detected' because of slight lag due to shitty hosts.

Now that we're getting dedicated servers, why not? There won't be any "host advantage" or any real downside.

edit. all this has been said. should have read more of the page, hah

FyreWulff

Fun fact: in 3 onwards, Halo engine hitscan is actually still "real" (kind of weird to say that in a video game sense) projectiles. They just travel the max distance they're programmed to in one frame.¹ Well, at least for sure in 3 and Reach. They could have done stuff to it in 4.

This allows them to still do all the cool stuff like physics interaction and bullet bounce, etc, while having it function 99% the same way classical hitscan does, and also works to minimize client advantage in normal hitscan (ie, sweepsniping in Halo 2)

Sources
1. Jonnyothan HBO post

Fun fact: in 3 onwards, Halo engine hitscan is actually still "real" (kind of weird to say that in a video game sense) projectiles. They just travel the max distance they're programmed to in one frame.¹ Well, at least for sure in 3 and Reach. They could have done stuff to it in 4.

This allows them to still do all the cool stuff like physics interaction and bullet bounce, etc, while having it function 99% the same way classical hitscan does, and also works to minimize client advantage in normal hitscan (ie, sweepsniping in Halo 2)

Sources
1. Jonnyothan HBO post

I always respect your input mate. Question on this, is it client side registration or host? If 1 frame and host still then would latency not affect the outcome? Isn't he talking about Halo 3 there?

To me that portion appears to be the hitscan difference, client side registration over host/server registration, irrespective of frames or processing. I'm curious about facts'n'details is all :)

Blueblur1

Written by Brian Reed. The same person responsible for all the horrible Spartan Ops dialogue (and the story arc in general, right?). And its about Palmer. No thanks.

An effective strafe would be more than welcome but never leading shots. You are mad, sir.

Thought of the day...calling X1 Kinect stances in Halo baseball cards.
Please be true and allow literally any stupid pose, it would be worth it for shits n giggles

Gui_PT

So now we go from an awkward sitting-with-guns-while-astonished pose to the coy bondage vibe? Jesus, way to give girls a hero, 343.

Don't care if this gets me in trouble. This character design is disgusting. The industry should be better than this.

Industry full on man babies. Ugh.

Omni

Eh.. Dead zone on controller thumbsticks has gotten huge. I have at least a few mm of leeway with them... Which is surprising becuase it's one of the decent controllers with the transforming d-pad. Didn't happen with any of my old controllers.

Not sure whether to deal with it for another couple of months or buy a new one. Ehhh

Except CE used a single shot weapon where Halo 3 used one with a spread and had enough randomness to gunfights. Dedicated servers are not going to cute all the Halo online woes - at the very least if they remove hitscan for a primary weapon, it should absolutely go to single shot.

The shit was still a problem on LAN too.

A projectile based BR with a tighter spread. It was a problem on LAN (very infrequently) because the spread was both wide and random. Contract the spread and it'd be fine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Elites look terrible and uninspired just like everything in the game.

Hyperbole everywhere.

So now we go from an awkward sitting-with-guns-while-astonished pose to the coy bondage vibe? Jesus, way to give girls a hero, 343.

I like the new cover better, and it fits in with the Spartan Assault art more. That other cover is pretty bad. I guess you get out of it what you want to see, bondage is a bit... much. It's cartoon'd up for sure.

I like the new cover better, and it fits in with the Spartan Assault art more. That other cover is pretty bad. I guess you get out of it what you want to see, bondage is a bit... much. It's cartoon'd up for sure.
It's the look on her face, the position of the head and body that evokes "oh my, I'm all tied up, whatever will you do to me?" (and bondage is not my particular cup of tea). I'm sure it's just artist interpretation and I already have an animosity built up for the worst regular character in the Halo franchise, but maybe Dark Horse wants to pull in the Danger Girl fanbase.

Omni

They have dedicated servers though
So will Halo 5.

One achievement away from finishing Halo CEA. Just the Warthog run on legendary with a minute left. Usually I finish at ~59 seconds (not even kidding). So frustrating, hah. If it was on heroic I could do it! Its just too intense on legendary... I'm always making silly mistakes

Fotos

One achievement away from finishing Halo CEA. Just the Warthog run on legendary with a minute left. Usually I finish at ~59 seconds (not even kidding). So frustrating, hah. If it was on heroic I could do it! Its just too intense on legendary... I'm always making silly mistakes

Do you drive through the Foe-hammer scene or do you stop? If you go it saves you around 7 seconds I think.

Fuchsdh

Written by Brian Reed. The same person responsible for all the horrible Spartan Ops dialogue (and the story arc in general, right?). And its about Palmer. No thanks.

An effective strafe would be more than welcome but never leading shots. You are mad, sir.

It's not bad so far, but so much of it has been set-up for the third issue.

Omni

Do you drive through the Foe-hammer scene or do you stop? If you go it saves you around 7 seconds I think.
I usually stop because RIP Foehammer.

Never have bothered to keep going before... but might as well give it a go, I guess. I think the timer stops in any case... But the additional velocity from not slowing down may make up the additional second I need

Computer

Yeah. Games like Battlefield are unplayable

I play battlefield just fine. Bullet travel didis and all. Even since reach you constantly get pinned down from long distances in maps and it makes the gamy play shitty. Dont say its because of the DMR because the BR can do this as well. Bullet travel creates a wider skill gap with weapons so that not every noob in the game can land shoots on you from anywhere. Look a BTB and how bad it plays.

Top Bottom