• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Blueblur1

Dead Space 4

What did he do? I honestly can't remember any 343 devs except for Wheelchair Man, that Kevin guy (who looked like he barely knew anything about the multiplayer mode he was heading up in those early interviews), and Frankie and David. Oh, the Doom art director guy responsible for approving all the 'meh' art in Halo 4.

What did he do? I honestly can't remember any 343 devs except for Wheelchair Man, that Kevin guy (who looked like he barely knew anything about the multiplayer mode he was heading up in those early interviews), and Frankie and David. Oh, the Doom art director guy responsible for approving all the 'meh' art in Halo 4.

He designed the campaign levels or something like that.

daedalius

Ass.

daedalius

Who's the ass? Me or him?

Who do you think?

Lol because he doesn't like the art? Most people would agree it's a downgrade from the Bungie stuff.

Most people would agree that art is subjective.

I'd go for 'mixed bag' rather than 'downgrade' myself. Personally, I rather like most of the new art other than a few things (storm rifle/carbine nonsense, Promethean weapon same-y-ness, etc).

Who do you think?

Most people would agree that art is subjective.

I'd go for 'mixed bag' rather than 'downgrade' myself. Personally, I rather like most of the new art other than a few things (storm rifle/carbine nonsense, Promethean weapon same-y-ness, etc).

We've all seen your art though. I mean yeah, if it's for an original property that's great, but warhammer-looking sci-fantasy shit doesn't belong in Halo despite what 343 might want you to think with Teenage Mutant Ninja Ghost Rider Knights and what have you.

daedalius

We've all seen your art though. I mean yeah, if it's for an original property that's great, but warhammer-looking sci-fantasy shit doesn't belong in Halo despite what 343 might want you to think with Teenage Mutant Ninja Ghost Rider Knights and what have you.

So are you shitting on my art or halo 4 art now?

Either way, fuck you.

Yeah bring back really hard sci-fi style things to Halo, like Hayabusa armor and giant spikey motorcycles.

Fuchsdh

1v1 Arena Art Battle Royale, go.

FYC

Banned
...Well then....

WB has every episode of Halo Legends on their YouTube channel. It's a pretty good watch. Seems like nobody in the GAF thread liked Homecoming, but I thought it was neat.

u4iX

yGBuI.gif

...Well then....

WB has every episode of Halo Legends on their YouTube channel. It's a pretty good watch. Seems like nobody in the GAF thread liked Homecoming, but I thought it was neat.

I bought this on DVD when it came out and watch it from time to time.

The only episode I absolutely never watch is super shitty "The Duel" one, but otherwise I like them all well enough. Prototype/Babysitter/The Package are all fantastic. I'd love to see full-length one hour long films for any of 'em.

Nowise10

I wonder if they'd consider hiring Marcus Lehto... He said on twitter he wanted to stay in the NW/continue with games development. I know people hated Reach, but someone who's been around from the beginning with Halo and has been so integral would surely fit in with 343 better than some random dev from elsewhere.

Marcus Lehto is one of the best developers out their.

he started blogs out revealing he planned on making his own indie game with a small group, but that ended when he tweeted saying he was moving and he sold his belongings in order to move somewhere else to a position he couldn't pass up, but in the end he just couldn't handle moving the entire family, and it was to hard on all of them.

Im curious to learn what that position was, and what he'll be doing in the future. Im sure Bungie would always welcome him back, but Im sure he wants to just move on and go somewhere new.

The only episode I absolutely never watch is super shitty "The Duel" one, but otherwise I like them all well enough.

Yeah, what the hell was up with that? I remember thinking that it looks like they blew their budget on the biggest party of their lives and then pulled an all-nighter with the cheapest Final Cut filters they could find. Is there an actual story behind its quality from the developers or anything?

Also: Nooo! Daedalilililililiius!

Yeah, what the hell was up with that? I remember thinking that it looks like they blew their budget on the biggest party of their lives and then pulled an all-nighter with the cheapest Final Cut filters they could find. Is there an actual story behind its quality from the developers or anything?

Also: Nooo! Daedalilililililiius!

They wanted it to look like a moving water color painting and to pay tribute to ancient Japanese art.

Or something. I didn't like it. They made all of the Elites suddenly Samurai living in ancient Japanese huts and the art style was just so muddled I could not really tell what was happening when the action started.

Wikipedia lists 699 FPS's, probably including some no-budget and mega obscure titles, but even then the top 100 is ~14% of games released. That means Reach isn't in the tenth percentile by my calculations, which I'm sure means something mind blowing or whatever.

Do the math.

TheOddOne

He was Project Lead Designer on Halo 4 -- pretty much up there with Creative Director Josh Holmes. He was one of the first guys at 343 and core to hiring much of the design staff that did other parts of the game. He signed off on a lot of things.

Dax's posted an interview with Warner which tells us a lot of his vision of Halo:
So I got the Halo 4...guide thing. Whatever it is. The book with the MC and the Didact's cryptum on the cover. In the back are interviews with several members from 343 Industries. An enlarged, key quote from Scott Warner – "Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another 30 seconds of fun" – caught my eye, so I read his first. The interview provided some...interesting insights into the development process behind the campaign. I'll post the most fascinating things below:

"And if you were to look at what the big changes from previous Halo games are, it's the introduction of the new race, and our decision to move away from over-emphasizing huge combat spaces – like the ones you see in Halo 3 and Reach – in exchange for bringing some more tight linear environments back into the game. When you go back to the first Halo, there are many fantastic fights, like the one out of Pillar of Autumn, that are really excellent because they are more linear and tight."

"Another area of the game that we explored early on but ended up backing away from, was the idea of having major setpiece moments that didn't interrupt the sandbox."

"We started with the multiplayer first in establishing the overall sandbox balance, and then applied that back into the campaign."

In response to the question of what he would most want to improve for the next Halo:

"Our resistance to change. Now that I've gotten to the end of this, my perspective has changed completely from being very faithful to the original games, to I'd love to do a lot more original stuff. To feel less precious about what existed before, because I think it's inhibited us in some ways. Now, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should."

Edit:

On the thing he's most proud of in the campaign:

"The Prometheans, because we created a brand new race that's interesting to fight against and feels really fresh. Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another '30 seconds of fun.' I think we addressed some of the concerns that existed with the Flood, in terms of them being one-dimensional, and also gave us another tool help avoid player fatigue."

BigShow36

If it was so easy to hit as some post, regarding aim assist/magnetism being so easy you don't even have to aim, then why would that guy miss at all? We were in close-mid range and he had the first shot. Skill aside the online mechanics and gameplay are there to be competitive is my point.

This one guy I knew smoked cigarettes till he was 93. Health issues aside smoking isn't bad for you is my point.

Sai-kun

Banned

"we want to have tight, linear campaign spaces" dude

lmao gso daed/wahrer

Flipyap

He was Project Lead Designer on Halo 4 -- pretty much up there with Creative Director Josh Holmes. He was one of the first guys at 343 and core to hiring much of the design staff that did other parts of the game. He signed off on a lot of things.

Dax's posted an interview with Warner which tells us a lot of his vision of Halo:
In response to the question of what he would most want to improve for the next Halo:

"Our resistance to change. Now that I've gotten to the end of this, my perspective has changed completely from being very faithful to the original games, to I'd love to do a lot more original stuff. To feel less precious about what existed before, because I think it's inhibited us in some ways. Now, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should."
Wow. Don't you just love it when 343 people go all VISIONARY CREATOR on our asses? They were hired to make a very specific thing, not to stretch their creative butt muscles reinventing the wheel.
"Now that we're done with Super Turbo Pac-Man Tournament Edition XP 2014, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should. THESE MAZES ARE RESTRAINING MY CREATIVE SOOOOOUUUUUL!"

IHaveIce

Banned
Ogre 2 looks to be officially back. He is a to3 with Snakebite and Royal 2.
Man 3 washed up players. They could pick up flamesword, I'm sure Ogre 2 can come back on his level but royal 2 and snakebite are really weird in halo 4, what I saw from them was they could not play this game different than Halo 3 or Reach they made so many mistakes that were just done because they acted without thinking about sprinting, new weapons or the non descopeable sniper.

Ogre 2 could get better teammates, he should team with ninja, dersky and ace.. though I understand people not wanting to team with Ninja

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

Wow. Halo 1 had loads of big open environments, more than any other in the series and bigger ones at that. Yes, it had well designed tighter spaces too but you can easily have both. In fact that is what made it such a good game, awesome level design.

How do people who just don't have a clue get these positions. The Halo 4 campaign was far inferior to Halo 1.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member

I personally found the Flood about 10 times as interesting to fight as the Prometheans. Their unique and overwhelming nature was a fun challenge and a nice alternative to the Covenant.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sorry, maybe trying* to convince? But you're missing my point.
My point is that Halo isn't selling consoles to some of the most hardcore Halo fans.
We'll see what happens next year when they reveal the game, maybe that'll bring some fans back, but it is just saddens me a bit to see.

I'm buying both, but there are plenty of folks here who aren't buying the Xbone, or at least not anytime soon.

Halo isn't out until next fall, it makes sense that people that would get an Xbox One just for Halo would save their money or go with the other system until then. I think it speaks more to MS not selling them on things right at launch than it says anything about Halo. Halo being what it is now likely has a bit to do with it, but I'd say you'd need to wait until this time next year to gauge whether those same people are or are not buying Ones.

Top Bottom