• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Black Ops above Halo 3 makes me want to murder.

Halo 4 above Unreal? What the fuck?

Edit: At least they got Timespliters: Future Perfect in there somewhere, such a good game, and you couldn't even jump!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
About time we get some good Halo stuff on LiveOn3. I hope they start covering AGL and things like that. It's a good show and I already watch it but Halo content would be hnnnggggggg

Blueblur1

Thats Dark Horse design not 343, Palmer development in the comic is pretty fast, she didnt care about being a Spartan then in one page she gets lectured of how to be an Spartan and she instantly believe is a Spartan now, damn.

I would imagine that 343 would have to approve the comic book. Including that cover.

Edit: Oops, forgot I had just posted.

Enfinit

Total copy and paste from Waypoint member Shamona220:

Halo 4 ranks #46 on IGN's list of the 100 greatest shooters.

Halo Reach is #96, Halo 3 is #68, and ODST is #57. Halo CE and Halo 2 have yet to be ranked. Thoughts, feelings, comments?

IGN lists, and any rankings in "video game journalism" for that matter, are always disgustingly subjective.

Thoughts: who the fuck cares
Feelings: I don't fucking care
Comment: why the fuck should I care

Xbox One is coming to Boston next week with Killer Instinct and Forza. I might go, because Killer Instinct. It's also going to a places in Arizona, Florida, and Canada.

If you are in the Boston and Burlington Mass. area, please join us for an exclusive opportunity at the opening of the Microsoft Retail Store in the Burlington Mall on Thursday evening, September 19 at 7:30PM. In addition, I’ll also be at the Microsoft Retail Store in Boston on September 20 to witness you try out your fighting skills with Killer Instinct.

They're giving away free stuff too, and that's always nice. If you live near any of these places here's the link for the full article http://majornelson.com/2013/09/11/xbox-one-tour-road-to-launch/

Total copy and paste from Waypoint member Shamona220:

Halo 4 ranks #46 on IGN's list of the 100 greatest shooters.

Halo Reach is #96, Halo 3 is #68, and ODST is #57. Halo CE and Halo 2 have yet to be ranked. Thoughts, feelings, comments?
Not surprised Halo 4 is above 3-Reach...
343’s debut effort out-Bungies Bungie.

The new Promethean aggressors are wicked intelligent without being unfair.
It is inarguably the finest Halo sandbox yet. Halo 4 feels much more open-ended and organic than Halo Reach’s paint-by-numbers sequences because of its massive scale, scope, and freedom for possibility.

Plus, Halo has evolved, wrapping its multiplayer in an unexpected narrative context.
With Halo 4’s immaculate weapon balancing and gun-for-every-situation combat strategies, it needs only a great crop of multiplayer maps in order to qualify for classic status.
And guess what? 343 packs War Games with 10 mostly stellar stages and three additional Forge-built battlegrounds.

Halo 4 is a masterstroke everyone can and should celebrate. Halo has been rebuilt. It has been redefined. And it has been reinvigorated.
Halo 4 is not only a success, but a bar-raising triumph for the entire first-person shooter genre.

I'm surprised that it isn't #1.

Halo 4 above Halo 3?

What the fuck did I just read? That must of been some good weed.

image.php

Interesting to see the reaction. I'm not a fan of reviews or ratings as I just go on my own personal experience but given missing features/classic at launch and a lack of ranked vs social I don't understand it being above Halo 3 or Reach really, in terms of multiplayer. Campaign for me yes I enjoy 4 more than 3 or Reach or ODST but below Halo 2 or CE.

Fast forward to current Halo 4 multiplayer and it almost requires a double entry to such lists. Turbo/Pitfall/Ricochet/Global Championships final and I feel it deserves to beat Reach and almost equal Halo 3. If all the DLC maps were required, campaign theatre, SPOPS scoring/skulls and Forge systems were all there this would deserve outranking 2, 3 & Reach and a top 10-20 position.

When I look at X1 with dedis, most likely ranked vs. social and the map/playlist experience of 4 I have a gut feel we're going to be in the top 10 of shooters of all time. *crosses fingers and puts on flame suit

Fuchsdh

It certainly belongs above a lot of shooters they placed it under. Then again I'd place all the Halo games above most of those that I've played on that list as well.

Half-Life 2 is going to be something like #1 again, and that's the only choice I really can't fathom. It had no interesting multiplayer, its campaign is tedious gunplay combined with bad physics jumping puzzles, and the most obnoxious example of the pitfalls of silent protagonists. How does its worldbuilding somehow absolve all that?

I didn't really play the first Halo until I got an Xbox in 2003, when I played the Campaign on Normal and dabbled in some XBConnect multiplayer. I didn't really seriously get into multiplayer until March 2005 in Halo 2.

I'm sorry.

I ended up buying a Gamecube w/Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader and Rogue Squadron before it were PHENOMENAL. The Sabre mission in Reach brought me back to those glory days.

I like the new cover better, and it fits in with the Spartan Assault art more. That other cover is pretty bad. I guess you get out of it what you want to see, bondage is a bit... much. It's cartoon'd up for sure.

Do you defend every single thing? No it's not just cartoon'd up, she looks like she's trying to seduce me with those luscious lips and that stare.. If a girl looked at me like that in public I'd go up to them and ask "DTF
UNK
?"

CE should be top 10 (maybe even top 5) and Halo 2 in the top 20. Halo 4 should not be on the list.

Halo 2 will place higher than Halo 1 unfortunately. Can't hate though, Halo 2 was fun even though it was the beginning of the end.

-EDIT-

So I guess Halo 5 won't be like Killzone: Shadow Fall after all..

It certainly belongs above a lot of shooters they placed it under. Then again I'd place all the Halo games above most of those that I've played on that list as well.

Half-Life 2 is going to be something like #1 again, and that's the only choice I really can't fathom. It had no interesting multiplayer, its campaign is tedious gunplay combined with bad physics jumping puzzles, and the most obnoxious example of the pitfalls of silent protagonists. How does its worldbuilding somehow absolve all that?

Yep I've never understood the love for HL2. Yes I played the entire game when it released all those years ago. I even purchased the orange box and literally played it for 10 minutes before I was all starship trooper'd out on the enemies. Sue me I don't like the game.

Halo 2 online even without the campaign beats it. Halo 2 with campaign obliterates it.

One would think Doom would have to be top 5 still. Doom I & II were everywhere for years.

Yep I've never understood the love for HL2. Yes I played the entire game when it released all those years ago. I even purchased the orange box and literally played it for 10 minutes before I was all starship trooper'd out on the enemies. Sue me I don't like the game.

Halo 2 online even without the campaign beats it. Halo 2 with campaign obliterates it.

One would think Doom would have to be top 5 still. Doom I & II were everywhere for years.

Not at all. Half-Life 2 campaign is far better and the multiplayer was actually pretty fun.

Not at all. Half-Life 2 campaign is far better and the multiplayer was actually pretty fun.

Yep I know I have an unpopular take on this game. It's very well made but just not for me.

-EDIT
Interesting they can add skulls to SPOPS missions. Race returns, not that I played it that much but I know it will make a good number of players happy.

Karl2177

This is the first update I've read in weeks and they announce that they are throwing skulls into Spartan Ops. Why is this not available to the players? Why is SpOps still stuck behind the Gold paywall?

FyreWulff

Interesting that Dominion gets sent to rotational playlists.. would have thought a core gametype would get a more solid spot.

At least they're being serious about consolidation this time around.

Blueblur1

Interesting that Dominion gets sent to rotational playlists.. would have thought a core gametype would get a more solid spot.

At least they're being serious about consolidation this time around.

Does anyone really play or even like Dominion? I think the last time I played it was in 2012.

FyreWulff

Does anyone really play or even like Dominion? I think the last time I played it was in 2012.

I liked the concept, needed some tweaking with the weapons drops. I love all objective gametypes
except for VIP, that's not fucking objective
especially ones with quasi-RTS elements.

Optionally, EA can finally port Renegade to a console

Fuchsdh

Yep. My only gripes with it at launch were that there were too many power weapons, rewarding camping, and that having more control points would offer a more competitive game since you couldn't really camp all of them at once and thus the more active and team-focused side would win.

That said, the team that works together still usually wins, and with the Turbo update you only get supplied with utility weapons. "Change the game forever" is the usual bad hyperbole, but it's a fun mode that I'll be happy to have in Objective lists in the future alongside Ricochet, Regicide, and Extraction, which were all very good updates to old Halo objectives.

EDIT: Requiring DLC is pretty bold, but I guess they figure the people who are playing it will shell out (and hey they're some of the best maps, so it can only enhance their experience.) Yay for bringing back rotational playlists--they were sort of a victim of their own success when Snipers and SWAT stuck around.

Bulletin was a nice read!
Was happy to see them contemplating naming Infinity Slayer playlist to Team Slayer.

Our team has blossomed from a few dozen to a few hundred, and it continues to grow at a healthy pace as new people are hired to make sure every team has more than enough resources to do their job, and do it well.
So no bandwidth issues for Halo 5 then? :p

Please continue giving us your feedback, both about Halo 4 and what you’d like to see in the next installment of the franchise. Because, while you may not know it yet, you’re guiding our path for the future.
Please make a gameplay sequel to Halo 3, not Halo Reach/4.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bulletin was a nice read!
Was happy to see them contemplating naming Infinity Slayer playlist to Team Slayer.

So no bandwidth issues for Halo 5 then? :p

Please make a gameplay sequel to Halo 3, not Halo Reach/4.

So remake Halo Reach? Got it

:p

TCKaos

So I have been working on a few Reach conversions which I will be releasing as a "Blast from the past" gametype pack.

I´d like to have some kind of trailer for it (just a few "quick" gameplay cuts with some text over it), anyone with a capture card want to help?

Edit: anyone up for some testing in 15 minutes?

Wahrer said he'd be down for making some tunes on twitter.

Omni

Halo Steamapp IDs were updated again!
Aren't they aupdated automatically?

I would have thought that it they were going to bother releasing the series on Steam, they'd do so around November (going with that yearly schedule that Halo seems to have these days)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Update was cool. I'm glad they're making the tough decisions and consolidating the playlists in Halo 4. I'd love them to do the same for Halo 3 and Reach. Both games are in desperate need of shuffling.

Halo 2 will place higher than Halo 1 unfortunately. Can't hate though, Halo 2 was fun even though it was the beginning of the end.
Agreed. I loved CE and it will always be my favorite Halo game, but I also had an awesome time playing 2 as well.
Nostalgia vs Nostalgia
Perhaps, seeing how I would seriously put GoldenEye for the N64 in the top 10. But that's just because that's what I was playing and spent endless halo-esque hours playing with friends during that stint.

Omni

There's been some yelling at my tv tonight. That Warthog run in CEA on Legendary is really kicking my ass.

I have two bars of health left. At the first corner (straight after entering the Warthog), I've died at least 10 times because of exploding fuel-rods. Other times I'm getting shot out of my Warthog by Sentinels half way through. One time I've rolled it on the last jump and finished with 55 seconds. Three times now I've been killed by the Flood on the final run with around 1 minute 20 seconds left (which could have easily given me the achievement had I not been killed).

Add in random rolls, entering the wrong seat and you have a very frustrated player.

rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2743.gif

Think I'll give it another crack tomorrow

Purplemage

Neo Member
Oh good, I was one of the rarities that actually enjoyed playing the infinity slayer playlist. And then boom comes the paywall. I don't understand how this is a decent idea, with how few people are left playing you want to block off the standard 4v4 playlist?

This isn't gonna make me buy DLC only play less. Great. Now I can bitch with the other people that don't play any more :/

EDIT: I am happy to see decent consolidation for once, and would love to see Reach get the same treatment. But DLC requirement for the main game type is just...ughh.

FyreWulff

I'm going to take a wild guess and they're doing this because a lot of people in there might have Majestic.

But it was also mentioned it's not a one-way decision, and they want data from before GOTY4 comes out and afterwards on DLC adoption. They'll take it off if it has too much of a negative impact.

Top Bottom