• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

I hope Major Nelson releases a new Xbox Live top games list soon. It's obvious that Black Ops II will be dethroned by the juggernaut that is GTA V, but I wonder where Halo 4 is, especially with the Champions DLC released and the soon to be GOTY edition.

Nebula

I hope Major Nelson releases a new Xbox Live top games list soon. It's obvious that Black Ops II will be dethroned by the juggernaut that is GTA V, but I wonder where Halo 4 is, especially with the Champions DLC released and the soon to be GOTY edition.

With the games coming out in the near future, I'll be amazed if Halo 4 even sits in the top 10.

add me to "team bullet travel" (lol) as well.

As long as the netcode can support it, projectile based weapons are definitely the best way to go.

Ozzy's BR gif is laughable too, if that was Halo CE he would have landed maybe 20% of those shots. Bullet magnetism, extremely generous hitboxes, huge aim assist and a burst fire weapon, makes that firefight dumbed down to shit. Sick Out BR though dude.

What's laughable is you think a 10+ year multi-50's player would only land 20% of CE pistol shots, be a little more elitist could you?

Once again if all of your points are true how could the other player miss at all, given first shot and close range?

Some time in the future I'll post a series of BR snippets for a wider range of discussion. I guess you missed my post, replies to Henery or video comments that the video was less about my skill in that engagement and more a short fresh video content piece to create discussion. It did create some good discussion, your post excluded of course.

Anyhow you keep being a dick, don't mind me and the fact I've never claimed to be pro or the best BR out there.

BigShow36

What's laughable is you think a 10+ year multi-50's player would only land 20% of CE pistol shots, be a little more elitist could you?

I would bet good money that you would land less than 20% of your pistol shots in Halo CE if you played a good player right now.

Not trying to be a dick, but 10+ years playing a game with aiming as easy as Halo has had doesn't prepare you for a game like Halo CE. It's not that you're bad or anything like that, it's that you simply can't practice for a game with a high aiming skill-gap by playing games with low aiming skill-gaps.

I would bet good money that you would land less than 20% of your pistol shots in Halo CE if you played a good player right now.

Not trying to be a dick, but 10+ years playing a game with aiming as easy as Halo has had doesn't prepare you for a game like Halo CE. It's not that you're bad or anything like that, it's that you simply can't practice for a game with a high aiming skill-gap by playing games with low aiming skill-gaps.

AWWWW SHIT!

g0BXnSv.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Here's a story. I got an Xbox and CE in 2003, a year before Halo 2 came out. I played the shit out of it with my friends but never against the level of competition I did online in later Halo games. I never knew the glitches, the spawns and on and on. Fast forward to this summer when I went to Seattle for the Halo 4 weapon tuning. We setup some Xbox's at Bravo's place and played some 2v2's. It was me, Bravo, Ghostayame and another Halo community member. (Okay Halo player)

I never got my ass kicked so bad in Halo in my life. Bravo and Ghost still play on a semi regular basis but they also played competitively back in the day. It took me until the 2nd day until I was putting up respectable performances in CE. I was re-learning jumps, learning the spawn system from scratch, learning weapon spawns, grenade physics and damage radii. The hardest part for me, for some reason was getting the pistol timing down. I kept subconsciously shooting it like the slower pistols in the more recent Halo games.

I think I'm better now at CE than I ever was because of all the Halo I've played throughout the years and have done so at a high level. However, I still don't know enough about the game and am not familiar with it enough to hang with the big dogs.

I think what has drawn me to Dota and Starcraft 2 in the past few years is that feeling of progression and improvement in actual gameplay. It not something I've seen in a long time with Halo. I was about as good as I was going to be at Halo 4 the instant I picked it up. (Besides learning spawns and maps). Especially these days because I don't have a team anymore to play competitively with (I miss that so fucking much)

BigShow36

Here's a story. I got an Xbox and CE in 2003, a year before Halo 2 came out. I played the shit out of it with my friends but never against the level of competition I did online in later Halo games. I never knew the glitches, the spawns and on and on. Fast forward to this summer when I went to Seattle for the Halo 4 weapon tuning. We setup some Xbox's at Bravo's place and played some 2v2's. It was me, Bravo, Ghostayame and another Halo community member. (Okay Halo player)

I never got my ass kicked so bad in Halo in my life. Bravo and Ghost still play on a semi regular basis but they also played competitively back in the day. It took me until the 2nd day until I was putting up respectable performances in CE. I was re-learning jumps, learning the spawn system from scratch, learning weapon spawns, grenade physics and damage radii. The hardest part for me, for some reason was getting the pistol timing down. I kept subconsciously shooting it like the slower pistols in the more recent Halo games.

I think I'm better now at CE than I ever was because of all the Halo I've played throughout the years and have done so at a high level. However, I still don't know enough about the game and am not familiar with it enough to hang with the big dogs.

I think what has drawn me to Dota and Starcraft 2 in the past few years is that feeling of progression and improvement in actual gameplay. It not something I've seen in a long time with Halo. I was about as good as I was going to be at Halo 4 the instant I picked it up. (Besides learning spawns and maps). Especially these days because I don't have a team anymore to play competitively with (I miss that so fucking much)

Brings a tear to my eye. I loved Halo CE for that reason; you could always improve, you always felt engaged and every player you encounter actually felt like a unique player with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Booshka

Praise the Sun. Against good players you missed all the fucking time in Halo CE with the Pistol, because it wasn't stupid easy and there was an actual strafe and strict hitboxes.

The 3-shot Cross map Pistol killing all game long is some bullshit myth, people that didn't even put real time into Halo CE say it. Almost in an attempt to explain away how stupid easy it is to shoot in every other Halo, because it was supposedly so common to 3-shot in Halo CE. As a result, the kill times were too fast, the sandbox was marginalized, or whatever terrible excuses I have been reading for nearly 9 years of bad Halo. If you are playing in matches with good players, you are missing a lot, most of your kills taking at least 5 shots to kill.

So Battlefield 4 and COD ghosts season pass are up in the marketplace with cross platforms options, Kinda nice to not double charge the people who will buy the same game for this gen and the next one.

Omni

So Battlefield 4 and COD ghosts season pass are up in the marketplace with cross platforms options, Kinda nice to not double charge the people who will buy the same game for this gen and the next one.
Ooh. May have to buy the BF4 one. I was - and still am - very satisfied with the value I got with BF3 premium.

Madness

Lol, I used to hate playing against good players. I'd miss a lot or get like one or two shots in before I'd get killed.

Pistol was easy to use but incredibly difficult to master. That's what made CE so much fun though, huge skill gap and you challenged yourself to get better.

J10

Banned
I was under the impression that CE levels of autoaim and bullet magnetism would make for a shitty online experience due to internet networking conditions never comparing to a LAN. So which online enabled Halo thus far had the most preferable aim assistance? Halo 3?

Boom! Dat Truff Bomb Is Glorious
If I had to choose a Mp from past to current Halo in terms of Skill.

Halo CE > Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 2 / Halo 4

Booshka

I was under the impression that CE levels of autoaim and bullet magnetism would make for a shitty online experience due to internet networking conditions never comparing to a LAN. So which online enabled Halo thus far had the most preferable aim assistance? Halo 3?

Shadowrun's aim assist mechanics are extremely similar to Halo CE and it works fine online. I'm pretty sure Shadowrun is a tiny bit more generous with bullet magnetism and hitboxes, but it's very close to Halo CE's mechanics. There is even bullet travel time, so leading shots is necessary for long ranges. Shadowrun also has a big learning curve and a huge skill ceiling/gap. So, for the mass market casual shooter crowd, it was probably better that Halo has been dumbed down over the years.

A better way to say and yes I would be seriously out of practice in CE, I don't pretend to believe I'd stack up against pros that regularly play CE either. Even out of practice within a few games I'd be hitting far better than 20%. That's 1 in 5 shots hitting and 4 out of 5 shots missing. Sure keep telling yourselves it takes that much skill. I somewhat agree with the skillgap but don't pretend it's a 1 in 5 to hit shots level of skill.

This is the perfect way to be mature and explain your point of view, nice post and I enjoyed reading it mate. I doubt I would have performed at your level in those conditions against those players. Sounds like lots of fun and reminds me of lugging around your OG xbox to play LAN all weekend. I was never a fan of splitscreen but played a ton against my older brother and his friends too.

Praise the Sun. Against good players you missed all the fucking time in Halo CE with the Pistol, because it wasn't stupid easy and there was an actual strafe and strict hitboxes.

The 3-shot Cross map Pistol killing all game long is some bullshit myth, people that didn't even put real time into Halo CE say it. Almost in an attempt to explain away how stupid easy it is to shoot in every other Halo, because it was supposedly so common to 3-shot in Halo CE. As a result, the kill times were too fast, the sandbox was marginalized, or whatever terrible excuses I have been reading for nearly 9 years of bad Halo. If you are playing in matches with good players, you are missing a lot, most of your kills taking at least 5 shots to kill.

Sure you missed against better players and in general it'snot like you 3 shotted every single time. Hoewever it's not to the extent of missing 4 out of every 5 shots as you posted either, that's exaggerating a bit mate to make an insult and I called you on it. I do somewhat disagree with the 3 shot across map though, on maps like Hang Em High it was often enough that it degraded every single match into pistols. Even when it wasn't 3 shots 4 was usually all it took and by 5 they were dead. Perhaps on other maps the 3 shot was far less likely due to map design so I can agree more with other maps I suppose.

I literally only picked up the plasma rifle and circle strafe attacked out of growing sick of pistol fights. It stayed much the same with Halo 2/3 BR and now we basically have 4 returning to the BR dominance once again. I'm fine with that but I do prefer to play with the DMR myself and I do enjoy the AR from time to time too.

Is the CE sandbox the best ever? Not to me, yes I agree the weapons/melee/movement was at a large skill gap level and difficult to master. Would it play as well online? No way. Pros even won't play Xlink/Xbconnect due to the issues with latency. Food for thought.

When one factors in all the other skill gap elements such as movement, feinting, baiting, weapon management, decision making, reflex, team skills, map nuance familiarity and more then there is still plenty of skill gap to be had. Most of which never even enter into game mechanics. It's all in the players/teams head and execution.

Finally, Halo 1 discussion again.

Carry on, but first allow me to post a pic for a nostalgic stroll down memory lane:

NSX5ya9.jpg

(my name was "10 sens." ingame lol)

RIP 2001-2004. RIP 3 years of nonstop Halo 1 action. RIP H1 Plasma Beast Rifle. Why Bungie, why? And now 343..

-EDIT-

You can still play on xb connect right?

Yep, some really good players still go on too.

belushy

Banned
Oh, so MS isn't encrypting the HDMI signal on the One. This is good.

Wasn't this pretty much confirmed a few months ago when Microsoft said that we'd still be able to record with capture cards?

edit: I think the HDMI encryption is only for Netflix and other stuff like that so people can't record movies and shows.

yea i got a big dick too tho

There is a difference between backing up your own skill level (confidence) and just being a dick (arrogant or elitist) about things mate. I only post silly stats like that in reply to give "weight" to skill based arguments. Note my original video post didn't have anything about mad skillzzz for teh xxxMLGZzzzxxx ;)

Defect

Swat and Living Dead amirite?

I've never played CE multiplayer but I've seen competitive play and I'll also take Booshka and Bigshow's word for it taking way more skill.

Enfinit

There is a difference between backing up your own skill level (confidence) and just being a dick (arrogant or elitist) about things mate. I only post silly stats like that in reply to give "weight" to skill based arguments. Note my original video post didn't have anything about mad skillzzz for teh xxxMLGZzzzxxx ;)

1v1 me bk

Fuchsdh

Wasn't this pretty much confirmed a few months ago when Microsoft said that we'd still be able to record with capture cards?

edit: I think the HDMI encryption is only for Netflix and other stuff like that so people can't record movies and shows.

Yeah, but apparently the PS4 is entirely encrypted like the PS3.

Yeah it's just to prevent you from doing illegal stuff, like firing up HBO on you Xbox and streaming their shows out to people.

Swat and Living Dead amirite?

I've never played CE multiplayer but I've seen competitive play and I'll also take Booshka and Bigshow's word for it taking way more skill.

Nope objective, slayer and doubles. Try doing that from Australia on a USA non-hitscan dominated game like Halo 3. I have so many Aussie friends from Halo 3 that are so much better than me in almost every slayer department but could never get a 50 due to the host dominance of Halo 3, that and rank lock/glitching at 49. The poor bastards I know a good number who even made second accounts to go for their 50's and still didn't make. Sadly most of them would annihilate me shooting or slayer wise. Christ I'm not even the same player I was back then, these days I play a lot less and care a lot less. My BR these days isn't what it used to be, I know that more than any of you do from one clip of me playing.

I don't disagree with those fellas CE has a large skill gap but it's not so crazy that I/others who are less than 1% like pro players would only land 1 in 5 shots. Where is the common sense?

1v1 me bk

For $200K? ;)

Purplemage

Neo Member
Why don't you just purchase the majestic map pack? All three of the maps are perfect for team slayer.

Well, haha, can't a guy be broke? Bills are paid, just not much leftover for gaming. I've already taken care of Pokemon for myself and that was about the only gaming related treat I can have at the moment.

Certainly I may purchase it in due time, but who's to say where the populations gonna be in a couple months?

BigShow36

Sure you missed against better players and in general it'snot like you 3 shotted every single time. Hoewever it's not to the extent of missing 4 out of every 5 shots as you posted either, that's exaggerating a bit mate to make an insult and I called you on it. .

I can't speak to your skill level since I have never played with you in Halo CE, but an average player would miss probably close to 80% against a good player. Combating the strafe of a good player in Halo CE is unlike anything you will experience in any other Halo game (and that's out in the open with no cover). Combine the misses outside of a pure gun battle and 80% isn't unreasonable. I have very extensive experience with a lot of different players in Halo CE, and based on that, I would bet that someone who hasn't played CE in 10+ years would miss a lot against a good player.

I do somewhat disagree with the 3 shot across map though, on maps like Hang Em High it was often enough that it degraded every single match into pistols. Even when it wasn't 3 shots 4 was usually all it took and by 5 they were dead. Perhaps on other maps the 3 shot was far less likely due to map design so I can agree more with other maps I suppose.

Again, based on my experience, this is just flat out wrong. TSK across map is not common against competent opponents. The reason Hang Em' High "degraded" into pistols was because the pistol was the dominant mid-range weapon. What else would people use across map on HeH? The AR? That isn't a bad thing. Just because one weapon was used prolifically doesn't mean there was no strategy or variety in the game. The variety and excitement in one pistol-on-pistol shootout is better than what I get from an entire match in any other Halo game. I would argue that the pistol and shooting skill gap allowed for more strategy and variety in playing styles than all the other weapons of other Halo games combined.

It's not what a weapon looks like or how it's projectiles act that create variety, it's what the weapon allows the player to do that creates variety. The pistol was the ultimate facilitator of skill, both mechanical (shooting) and strategic.

For $200K? ;)

Yes, and I'll pay your airfare.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of long matches... just completed a 1-hour BTB flag match on Hemorrhage with the HBO folks. 'Twas fun. The saved film itself is 64 megs... didn't realize they could get that large.

As for maps in CE degrading into only-pistol fights, that's partially also because a lot of Halo 1's maps just aren't that great. Hang 'em High is a poor map, but I've got plenty of fond memories of it.

BigShow36

As for maps in CE degrading into only-pistol fights, that's partially also because a lot of Halo 1's maps just aren't that great. Hang 'em High is a poor map, but I've got plenty of fond memories of it.

Which speaks to another point; strong weapon sandboxes that enable the player enhance map design while shallow weapon sandboxes that restrict the player hinders map design.

Everyone wonders why maps seem to have gotten worse and worse; look no further than the weapons. Even the worst maps of Halo CE (Chiron, Boarding Action) were still a lot of fun to play around on because the weapon's provided the depth and variety. Give the player a skill-dependent weapon that can strike from different distances and angles and compliment it with unique role-specific weapons, and suddenly maps open up in terms of their playability.

When the sandbox forces players into certain ranges in order to be effective, never giving them a tool to create their own variety, they must rely solely on the design of the map in order for it to be playable. Rather than relying on the players creativity and ability, suddenly the geography of the map is the sole determinant in how effective a player is and what options they have available. It's very difficult to design maps that play well under those settings.

This post is offensive. And plus, most people will disagree with me (until BigShow says it weeks later) but if you take Halo 1 gunplay and put it in Guardian, The Pit, Haven, wherever the hell you want.. the game would be infinitely more fun than that map in its corresponding game.

Side Note: Grenade throwing being so heavily based on momentum is not only silly (considering we're Spartans), but it's just not as fun. Bring it back to Halo 1/Murder Miners level of power/precision.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Was Crimson that bad?
I don't know. I just said I only bought Majestic, lol.

Anyone 'round these parts getting GTA5? I had zero interest for that game two days ago, became mildly excited yesterday, and now I'm hyped as hell.

Omni

Make sure when you reach the final run to the ship, you go outside the barrels. You'll be less likely to be shot there than in between them in the proper "path" to the ship.
From last night, but thanks. First try tonight and I finished with 20 odd seconds left. Went to the side like you said and didn't get hit at all!

So that brings my total of games that I've completed 100% to four - Halo CEA, Halo 2: Vista, Halo 3 ODST and
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD :lol
. I'd love to finish Halo 3, 4 and Reach off, but multiplayer achievements are all but impossible.

Top Bottom