• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Sync your custom gametypes and custom forged maps to be recreated/playable for Halo 4, 5, 6, & Etc. in Forge Universe. All stored thanks to Cloud service.

And Forge-able Firefight/Spartan Ops Mode.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I don't doubt that they put a lot of time and effort into making this call, seeing as they're consolidating Dominion it shows that. But this isn't Halo 3. There is no alternative such as social slayer.

I hope this goes well, or at least they give the map packs a discount or something. I can't see myself rebuying Halo 4 just for the DLC when there are so many other good games coming out. After Pokemon and GTA I can't see myself having time (or money) to see if the DLC maps are even gonna appear as options for once.

I agree, playing Elite Multi-Team was some of the most fun I've had on Reach.

Point blank sticks ad nauseum

Making Infinity Slayer Majestic required is a big play on 343's behalf.

While matching players who own DLC is heavily weighted during the search phase, we’re seeing reports that some of you are not seeing your purchased maps in matchmaking as frequently as you’d like. As a potential solution to this issue, we are going to make one standard playlist DLC-required (à la Halo 3)

Well, quite honestly, at this point in Halo 4's life, one map pack should be free (a la Halo 3!). Considering the chronic under-nourishment of 4v4 maps in Halo 4 at launch, that should be the Majestic pack. The release of the GOTY edition is not going to ape the One-Nation DLC adoption party that ODST engendered. I can't imagine a scenario where a consumer is sitting on their hands undecided on Halo 4 for 9 months then decides to pitch up full price for the game plus DLC when they can buy it second hand for a tenner. Not in austerity-measure 2013. Not with GTA 5 offering a mind melting amount of content for the same price.

And another thing: Seeing DLC in MM has never been that much of a problem for 2v2 - 4v4 playlists. Where seeing DLC becomes as rare as a pic of Miley with her mouth shut is in the big team lists. I never ONCE saw highlands in BTB in Reach. It's obvious that finding 16 players who all have the DLC, are reasonable ping distances and are a trueskill match is highly unlikely, which makes the pre-planned decision to make 2/3rds of the War Games Pass BTB content all the more baffling.

Point blank sticks ad nauseum

Making Infinity Slayer Majestic required is a big play on 343's behalf.

Well, quite honestly, at this point in Halo 4's life, one map pack should be free (a la Halo 3!). Considering the chronic under-nourishment of 4v4 maps in Halo 4 at launch, that should be the Majestic pack. The release of the GOTY edition is not going to ape the One-Nation DLC adoption party that ODST engendered. I can't imagine a scenario where a consumer is sitting on their hands undecided on Halo 4 for 9 months then decides to pitch up full price for the game plus DLC when they can buy it second hand for a tenner. Not in austerity-measure 2013. Not with GTA 5 offering a mind melting amount of content for the same price.

And another thing: Seeing DLC in MM has never been that much of a problem for 2v2 - 4v4 playlists. Where seeing DLC becomes as rare as a pic of Miley with her mouth shut is in the big team lists. I never ONCE saw highlands in BTB in Reach. It's obvious that finding 16 players who all have the DLC, are reasonable ping distances and are a trueskill match is highly unlikely, which makes the pre-planned decision to make 2/3rds of the War Games Pass BTB content all the more baffling.

I'd like to see 1-2 months pass after GOTY releases then a selection of 4 of the best DLC maps become free and get its own 1 month rotational playlist. BAM!

Omni

1-2 months after the GOTY edition?

Colour me surprised if Halo 4 isn't completely dead by then. So many great titles coming out this fall, as well as the new consoles. By then there will be no point in releasing a free map pack. If they were serious, they'd do it now.

1-2 months after the GOTY edition?

Colour me surprised if Halo 4 isn't completely dead by then. So many great titles coming out this fall, as well as the new consoles. By then there will be no point in releasing a free map pack. If they were serious, they'd do it now.

GOTY is the last grab before next gen, they wouldn't go free up against GOTY. I agree with you though, I think all games DLC should go free 3 months after they release.

Last one for today:

Out BR'd

For me this is part of why I don't understand 100% negative comments about the "current state" of Halo (4) multiplayer. Yes it's hitscan, yes it has assist/magnetism etc but this is online play and here I am from Australia on a USA hosted game but able to out BR an enemy who has the first shot on me.

This is how competitive online play should be handled, LAN/events may be a different story though. I too agree that next gen regional servers should lessen such "assistance" for online fairness.

If anything I feel that that video exposes just how little effort is required to land shots in Halo 4. The reticle is just hovering around his shoulder most of the time and the bullet magnetism does all the work.

Lower aim assist and bullet magnetism and a projectile based BR with a tight spread for Halo 5 please.

Fuchsdh

GOTY is the last grab before next gen, they wouldn't go free up against GOTY. I agree with you though, I think all games DLC should go free 3 months after they release.

I dunno about three months, maybe six seems reasonable for the devs to recoup costs and act as a bigger push. What I think is more important is rolling the DLC up in a single package, discount it if you want. I think a lot more people would jump for the DLC if it's marked "discounted!" and you get two packs for $8 or $10.

As for the population cratering this fall, I doubt it. I imagine most of the players who were going to jump ship to another title have already done so. The game's population has held remarkably steady as of late.

There's been some yelling at my tv tonight. That Warthog run in CEA on Legendary is really kicking my ass.

I have two bars of health left. At the first corner (straight after entering the Warthog), I've died at least 10 times because of exploding fuel-rods. Other times I'm getting shot out of my Warthog by Sentinels half way through. One time I've rolled it on the last jump and finished with 55 seconds. Three times now I've been killed by the Flood on the final run with around 1 minute 20 seconds left (which could have easily given me the achievement had I not been killed).

Add in random rolls, entering the wrong seat and you have a very frustrated player.

rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2743.gif

Think I'll give it another crack tomorrow

Make sure when you reach the final run to the ship, you go outside the barrels. You'll be less likely to be shot there than in between them in the proper "path" to the ship.

DLC required playlists? Thank the Prophets.

That was a good bulletin. I'm liking how the consolidation is shaping up.

That doesn't make sense, who in their right mind would buy the DLC at launch when they can just wait a little bit for it to be released for free?

I love the fact, people are over-reading that Spartan Ops gets Skull support in Matchmaking. Well, 343i finally challenge up SpOps.

CE should be top 10 (maybe even top 5) and Halo 2 in the top 20. Halo 4 should not be on the list.
Well. Halo 4 is a much better shooter than Crysis 2 and other shooter on the list. Halo 4 is a great shooter, but it isn't that incredible good Halo Game. I favor Halo 4 over plenty shooter which came out in the last few years, but the IGN list is shit already because Halo 4 is ranked higher than Halo 3. Seriously?

Aww man, Multi-Team is my favorite playlist. That sucks.
When was the last time you had played Halo 4?

If anything I feel that that video exposes just how little effort is required to land shots in Halo 4. The reticle is just hovering around his shoulder most of the time and the bullet magnetism does all the work.

Lower aim assist and bullet magnetism and a projectile based BR with a tight spread for Halo 5 please.

Isn't that why it took me 5 shots and not 4 though? I didn't hit all 3 burst each time plus the headshot. It's nice to read your specifics referencing a clip hand in hand. I could go a bit less of those two, probably not as much as you'd like to see though.

I dunno about three months, maybe six seems reasonable for the devs to recoup costs and act as a bigger push. What I think is more important is rolling the DLC up in a single package, discount it if you want. I think a lot more people would jump for the DLC if it's marked "discounted!" and you get two packs for $8 or $10.

As for the population cratering this fall, I doubt it. I imagine most of the players who were going to jump ship to another title have already done so. The game's population has held remarkably steady as of late.

Make sure when you reach the final run to the ship, you go outside the barrels. You'll be less likely to be shot there than in between them in the proper "path" to the ship.

Bundle discount would be a good compromise.

DLC required playlists? Thank the Prophets.

That was a good bulletin. I'm liking how the consolidation is shaping up.

That doesn't make sense, who in their right mind would buy the DLC at launch when they can just wait a little bit for it to be released for free?

Let us face it those who pay are early adopters and those who want free would wait. Other bonuses like skins & armour etc could be removed for the free versions too. Fuchsdh's bundle discount sounds more viable though.

Isn't that why it took me 5 shots and not 4 though? I didn't hit all 3 burst each time plus the headshot.

It is, but it still means around 80% of the bullets landed which for me is a bit too high considering the reticle placement when the shots were fired. In theory it's supposed to be three aimed at the torso then a headshot but with the bullet magnetism that high you can do as you did and still be successful. Part of this is a problem inherent with burst fire weaponry, which I still prefer to the point and click hitscan snooze fest of the DMR. CE magnum is the only single shot utility weapon I really enjoyed in Halo because 1) it didn't have a ludicrous 3x scope and 2) you had to lead your shot which leads to more interesting battles and looks like high art in its elegance when a kill is pulled off with minimum shots to kill.

FyreWulff

I viewed Halo 2's DLC and 3's Heroic as buying early access and supporting the developer, and then being later rewarded with an actual playerbase to enjoy the content with.

Which is why I wouldn't see a problem with just pushing the content out to everyone, and slapping restrictions or other funding methods.

- Lock editing the map in Forge to purchasers
- Buying the maps gives you an EXP bonus for games on that map
- Buying the maps lets you activate a double-vote for it on the voting screen (1 hour cooldown)
- Maps come with weapons themed to the map's art. purchasing lets you make your weapon skinned to that skin on every other map, non-purchasers can only pick them up off the map as a 'trial' of the skin
- Cannot upload Forge/screenshots/films made on that map until purchased, but can create them in the meantime

All sorts of ideas to give incentive for buying the maps without giving gameplay advantages.

Computer

It is, but it still means around 80% of the bullets landed which for me is a bit too high considering the reticle placement when the shots were fired. In theory it's supposed to be three aimed at the torso then a headshot but with the bullet magnetism that high you can do as you did and still be successful. Part of this is a problem inherent with burst fire weaponry, which I still prefer to the point and click hitscan snooze fest of the DMR. CE magnum is the only single shot utility weapon I really enjoyed in Halo because 1) it didn't have a ludicrous 3x scope and 2) you had to lead your shot which leads to more interesting battles and looks like high art in its elegance when a kill is pulled off with minimum shots to kill.

The harder the weapon is to use the more satisfying the kill will be. Just like sniping. I would never feel good about a jet pack rocket kill. This is why Halo is in such a bad place.

Nebula

Cortana is on Earth confirmed as Halo 5 story.

Nice to see some consolidation. I want to see what this race playlist has to offer. Hoping it's not Warthogs or maybe a mixture.

TCKaos

Everyone is Cortana. That's why we're all going to get her on our phone. It's a digital/physical/personal manifestation of our inner Cortana.

Trey

People want hitscan. How did Halo PC handle the pistol with online latency?

IHaveIce

Banned
There will be an ARG for Halo 5 running through the cortana app, calling it.

Also Henery while I mostly agree wkth you i can't velieve you are on team bullet travel :(

Tawpgun

People want hitscan. How did Halo PC handle the pistol with online latency?
Terribly. You would have to lead your shots by like 1-2 meters.

That shitshow turned into a bit of a skill in competetive halo PC games but aiming was still super annoying and host had a crazy advantage.

Nebula

HitScan sucks though. It enables people to cross map DMR/BR with ease. Leading shots is way more satisfying, and creates a nice skill gap. With Halo 5 having dedis, this should reduce connection advantages and make bullet travel a lot better than it was on Halo 3.

I don't want more cross map DMR fests. HitScan is part of the problem

Oh good, I was one of the rarities that actually enjoyed playing the infinity slayer playlist. And then boom comes the paywall. I don't understand how this is a decent idea, with how few people are left playing you want to block off the standard 4v4 playlist?

This isn't gonna make me buy DLC only play less. Great. Now I can bitch with the other people that don't play any more :/

EDIT: I am happy to see decent consolidation for once, and would love to see Reach get the same treatment. But DLC requirement for the main game type is just...ughh.
Why don't you just purchase the majestic map pack? All three of the maps are perfect for team slayer.

Boy they really hate Throwdown. Community Playlist Team Throwdown. Second to the bottom on that list. Can't we name it Team Slayer Pro, make is DLC required? I mean there is only like 200 people playing it. Having it be more than just Forge maps would help it.

Anyone willing to have a quick testing lobby tonight?

Gametypes I'll be testing are
Rocket Race, Rocket Hog Race, VIP and Stockpile (renamed Compile)

belushy

Banned
When do you guys think would be the best time to announce the Halo Trilogy Steam release?

Well, they could do something where if you buy the steam trilogy (not just an individual one) you get Halo 5 beta access or something. So maybe at the beginning of the year next year. Didn't bsangel already say we have to wait until next year for an update on Halo 2 online?

edit: To clarify, we'd get a code that we can redeem on Xbone.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
There's been some yelling at my tv tonight. That Warthog run in CEA on Legendary is really kicking my ass.

I have two bars of health left. At the first corner (straight after entering the Warthog), I've died at least 10 times because of exploding fuel-rods. Other times I'm getting shot out of my Warthog by Sentinels half way through. One time I've rolled it on the last jump and finished with 55 seconds. Three times now I've been killed by the Flood on the final run with around 1 minute 20 seconds left (which could have easily given me the achievement had I not been killed).

Add in random rolls, entering the wrong seat and you have a very frustrated player.

rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2743.gif

Think I'll give it another crack tomorrow

OT: I keep hearing that the latest season of Dexter isn't great and this fucking sucks considering it's the last season (haven't watched season 8 at all yet)

I was always hoping a moment like what's in the gif above would actually happen at some point in the show.

Computer

It blows my mind that Halo 4 has been out for a year and it still starts a game 1 against 4. How can a game be this fucking bad? I mean they cant even get basic matchmaking right. RIP Halo 5.

Also Henery while I mostly agree wkth you i can't velieve you are on team bullet travel :(

lol ,'team bullet travel', made me laugh. I know it's a somewhat controversial stance and is contrary to a lot of posters on here with whom I usually agree. I'm just looking at it from an ideal perspective with regards to networking conditions. I've been playing a lot of Halo 3 recently and I've re-evaluated how bad I thought its netcode was. While it's certainly not as good as Reach's was, I think a lot of the issues rise from the fact that the shield feedback system isn't as refined as Reach's/there are no hit markers, you have to lead your shot, there is an unknown variable in the weapons spread and there isn't the instant feedback that the headshot and assist medals reinforce in Reach.

Projectile based weaponry is Halo in its purest form. Halo CE's sandbox and physics are the purest in terms of dev gameplay vision because they are uncompromised by the latter Halo's need to be considerate of P2P networking. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocyYwLCDyCU

With 2014 broadband speeds and dedicated servers promised for Halo 5 I think we can dream a bit broader. A projectile based utility weapon feels more 'real' to me; when I go in Halo 3's theatre and watch from a 3rd person perspective, everything that transpires is an authentic polygonal entity that is 'alive' within the sandbox. Reach's DMR and Halo 4's BR just feel like a box being ticked for a shield to deplete if reticle = red. It's like the enemies in Doom; on the surface the environment appears 3D but circle around a pink demon and it's obvious it's a 2D sprite based image rotating. For some reason I enjoy the shooting aspect of Halo's CE and 3 more than 2, Reach and 4 and I'd venture that it's the bullet leading aspect along with the lower aim assists.

Halo 3's netcode didn't suck, the design was just overly-ambitious for a p2p game in 2007. The amount of simulation and networking in an average match was amazing. I tend to agree that things like hitscan and melee lunge are less-than-ideal compromises necessary for the imperfections in existing game networks.

Booshka

add me to "team bullet travel" (lol) as well.

As long as the netcode can support it, projectile based weapons are definitely the best way to go.

Ozzy's BR gif is laughable too, if that was Halo CE he would have landed maybe 20% of those shots. Bullet magnetism, extremely generous hitboxes, huge aim assist and a burst fire weapon, makes that firefight dumbed down to shit. Sick Out BR though dude.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so Infinity Slayer is requiring Majestic DLC, but no other DLC? That's cool with me, cause Majestic is the only DLC I bought, hah.

Fuchsdh

It is a compliment on your skills. The system sees you're good enough to 1 vs. 4 people.
It would be interesting if the game rewarded you for playing an outmatched game to the end and rewarded you more if you won that game. Obviously the game should avoid that, but quitters happen.

Top Bottom