• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Cold as ice mate.

7iXIpTG.jpg

I don't know. I just said I only bought Majestic, lol.

Anyone 'round these parts getting GTA5? I had zero interest for that game two days ago, became mildly excited yesterday, and now I'm hyped as hell.

Majestic is really the only one with decent maps. The champions maps are fine too. Crimson's were really bad, and the third pack was so forgettable I can't comment on their quality.

I'll be getting GTA5, I've been finishing up odds and ends in GTA 4 all week.

Tawpgun

GTA V is so fuckin hype. Gonna be playing it until I decide to get a next gen console. Those first weeks of GTA online are gonna be amazing.

m23

I don't know. I just said I only bought Majestic, lol.

Anyone 'round these parts getting GTA5? I had zero interest for that game two days ago, became mildly excited yesterday, and now I'm hyped as hell.

I'll be getting it as well. (Xbox 360 version) Might even be able to grab it on the weekend :)

Fuchsdh

From last night, but thanks. First try tonight and I finished with 20 odd seconds left. Went to the side like you said and didn't get hit at all!

So that brings my total of games that I've completed 100% to four - Halo CEA, Halo 2: Vista, Halo 3 ODST and
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD :lol
. I'd love to finish Halo 3, 4 and Reach off, but multiplayer achievements are all but impossible.
If you're willing to go grab some people on TrueAchievements they're not too hard to boost (at least Reach and 4... Halo 3's lone wolves and map-specific achievements are definitely the worst in the series. I'm not sure the completion is worth the time I put into it :)

Glad to hear the advice helped.

Cool story, Hypertrooper.

How much drugs did you do. #HGS
You are just being jealous that I'm friends with Greenskull!

i cut to around 0:40 to see nerds attemping DDR

smfh get on my level
It was playing DDR the first time. I'm from Germany and we do not have such nerdy stuff here.

says the guy who couldn't play that one song on 2 stations at once like that other guy
Still. I remember when Hitmonchan and I went into Gameworks and saw Sai rocking DDR.

Computer

I do frequently.

Yeah..I'm gonna go with fake.
I do believe that there will be a 32 64 player playlist in Halo 5. Halo has always been about big open battles so why not bring that experience to multilayer. Also its something that Halo has not been able to accomplish yet because of P2P networking.

Fuchsdh

I do believe that there will be a 32 64 player playlist in Halo 5. Halo has always been about big open battles so why not bring that experience to multilayer. Also its something that Halo has not been able to accomplish yet because of P2P networking.
I just don't see how that wouldn't compromise the core Halo experience. I'd love a Battlefront Halo, but I don't want that within my mainline game either.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't really believe that Pastebin entry, but I am almost certain that outside of customs and maybe 1 playlist, 4v4 will not be significant in Halo 5.

FyreWulff

Cloud:
Dedicated Server.
First titel to showcase true power of cloud processing. Massive battles with 100s of AI (calculated by the cloud); massive worlds with dynamic weathher and global lighting (all done in cloud).
And yes, this will need an alway online connection(you dont need a powerful connection, those data pakets are really small)

- Reach supported 40 AI on 512MB of RAM and it's processor. Suddenly you need a cloud for hundreds of AI on hardware with 10 times or more the usuable RAM?

- Every time someone tries to claim a base component of the renderer is going to be shuffled off to the cloud, a kitten explodes. 60fps? Even the smallest packet you could send for lighting would not make the round trip in time for a 60hz update, let alone 30hz. Real time weather? Not sure why you'd need to cloud that, Reach had a decent weather system (see: rain on Alexandria that interacts with vehicles correctly, the ashfall on The Package) and the ability to have bajillions more particles on the One means you have more stuff to make rain etc more convincing. For rain to look convincing it has to collide with things in real time. Cloud rain would always be frames behind and it would look obvious.

Just my opinions though.

The most I'm predicting usage of the cloud and AI involved is for online co-op. If they have dedicated servers, it's more feasible to make the AI asynch, which would let you eliminate button lag (especially in a 60fps game). In lockstep you're only networking buttons, in asynch each AI takes the bandwidth of a normal player, so people aren't hosting 40-man equivalent games off their home connection, so lockstep is required to make things feasible. Bring in dedis, and that's no longer a problem. Plus people could actually join a co-op session in progress..

Nebula

I miss the Grenade Launcher. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I see Cloud controlling stuff that doesn't need to be happening instantly. I can believe weather and light stuff.

BigShow36

Would the Halo Sandbox even work with that number of people?

Not really, even though everyone is always clamoring for it. While I understand the fascination with large-scale multiplayer games, it’s simply not something that actually translates well to gameplay. I think most people have this idealized fantasy in their head of super strategic and epic battles, when the reality is that it simply devolves into a clusterfuck. Flow is the key to an engaging multiplayer experience, and the flow of large-scale combat in videogames is just not there.

Havok

I don't think the primary reason for not increasing player counts is technical, but on the design side.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the thing that makes Halo cool is the frequency of "hero moments" where you as an individual have a great streak and are able to say "I did this cool thing." That can still exist with higher player counts, but the pronoun often shifts sharply toward "We did this cool thing," instead. I think you see this in things like Battlefield where the discrete gameplay units are primarily squads, not individuals. The ability for the individual to overcontribute to a larger effort and feel good about it is something that sets good Halo games apart, and that ability gets more and more scarce as player counts increase.

I think there's a lot of merit to large scale engagements, but I also don't know that I feel it needs to or should go farther than 8v8. The key difference between massive single player encounters and massive multiplayer battles is that in single player, the onus to accomplish the mission objective is almost entirely on you as the player. All of those potential hero moments are all yours, where you cannot make that same guarantee in multiplayer.

Not really, even though everyone is always clamoring for it. While I understand the fascination with large-scale multiplayer games, it’s simply not something that actually translates well to gameplay. I think most people have this idealized fantasy in their head of super strategic and epic battles, when the reality is that it simply devolves into a clusterfuck. Flow is the key to an engaging multiplayer experience, and the flow of large-scale combat in videogames is just not there.

Which is why I believe they need to initially focus on the 2v2 dynamic for Halo 5 gameplay. Make several maps that work very well for 2v2 and can still be fun for 4v4 (ie: Most of Halo 1 maps, Midship, Lockout, etc.), then go from there.

The launch maps and base gameplay need to be stellar.

Fuchsdh

I still don't like the slanted front and back. Makes it feel off-balance to me, although it definitely looks better vertically than horizontal.

The inevitable slim matte One will be the best looking I suspect.
(And please make a white one for consumers thanks.)

Good, I wish they had found him back in Season 2.

Hafþór Júlíus "Thor" Björnsson
Height: 6ft 9inch
Weight: 419lbs

Ser Gregor "The Mountain that rides" Clegane of the House Clegane
Height: Amost 8ft. 7ft 10/11
Weight: 420lbs +

Conan Stevens (season 1 Gregor)
Height: 7ft 1inch
Weight: 320lbs

Ian Whyte (season 2 Gregor)
Height: 7ft 1inch
Weight: 260lbs

He is the closet in terms of build, definitely better than Ian "stand-in" Whyte who seems he was chosen last minuet due to Conan's other commitments and because he was on set regularly for MoCap for the giant(s?). I just wonder if he will have the presence of Conan he was one imposing mother fucker.

1184923_418641514907129_1280668296_n.jpg

1234198_415525641885383_1242893365_n.jpg

Madness

I had a blast playing GTA IV, I can see its limitations and frustrations in hindsight, but it was a great game. First time I was also more interested in the story than just dicking around. Coupled with Lost and Dammed and Ballad of Gay Tony, it was the complete GTA experience.

So excited for GTA V, will go to midnight launch for that. Can't wait to see how they improved the old San Andreas as well.

I wasn't a big fan. I played about ten hours and then stopped. I think (hope) I'll like GTAV a lot more, though.

The player movement and controls were piss. Niko or whatever the fuck his name was moved like he had cement shoes. The melee controls were equally atrocious. The city was a marvel though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I started a HaloGAF Crew for GTAV. If we're not going to play Halo, at least we can play something else together! There were already two other HaloGAF crews from the Max Payne 3 days, but they seemed inactive.

You can also join the larger GAF crew for folks getting the 360 version.

Top Bottom