• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

Yeah, Doom as number 2 is pure nostalgia. It's barely playable now. But hey, I marginally liked Half-Life so thank god that beat HL2. I wonder if they just throw darts for the final ones, or they strategically pick for drama.

Doom is basically what started shooters. It not being #1 or #2 would be a slap in the face. The list isn't about the best shooters NOW, but the best shooters in history and those that really contributed to the genre.

Some of their choices are laughable though. Black Ops did nothing more for shooters than say World at War which is also what started their Zombie mode. And yet it's rated so high.

Fuchsdh

Doom is basically what started shooters. It not being #1 or #2 would be a slap in the face. The list isn't about the best shooters NOW, but the best shooters in history and those that really contributed to the genre.

Some of their choices are laughable though. Black Ops did nothing more for shooters than say World at War which is also what started their Zombie mode. And yet it's rated so high.

I'm going by their criteria, which do list historic importance and "contemporary" quality, but also mention "modern quality (does it hold up?)" The answer to Doom is a resounding no.

(I'm also not really sure what influence HL2 has had on the genre as a whole, just because I can't really such much that's been aped. The idea of infinite weapons is dead for the vast majority of shooters. Silent, story-integral protagonists seem on their way out. Zombies? Done long before. Puzzles? Don't really exist in most FPS games, and for good reason.

JDHarbs

I'm going by their criteria, which do list historic importance and "contemporary" quality, but also mention "modern quality (does it hold up?)" The answer to Doom is a resounding no.

(I'm also not really sure what influence HL2 has had on the genre as a whole, just because I can't really such much that's been aped. The idea of infinite weapons is dead for the vast majority of shooters. Silent, story-integral protagonists seem on their way out. Zombies? Done long before. Puzzles? Don't really exist in most FPS games, and for good reason.
I enjoyed HL1 more than HL2. The whole thing felt like it was building up to an amazing climax that never really came. I enjoyed the puzzles, but the only time I had fun with the gunplay was the unstable gravity gun sections. Its overrated in my opinion, but I can understand why some hold it up so high. I'm just glad the true better game got #1 this time.

Yeah, Doom as number 2 is pure nostalgia. It's barely playable now. But hey, I marginally liked Half-Life so thank god that beat HL2. I wonder if they just throw darts for the final ones, or they strategically pick for drama.

It does not matter if it's barely playable now[which i disagree btw] you need to take into account what it did for the genre as well.

Glad to see Halo 1 rank so high on most of these lists. Such a shame what happened with Anniversary.. Maybe it was for the best because that still leaves the door open for dedicated servers B]

Nowise10

I've never played Half-Life, but I did play Halo Life 2 and all its episodes and thought it was really enjoyable.

Their was a few section that were a chore, but I would really really love to see Episode 3 or Half Life 3.

Half-Life 1 was fun, Half-Life 2 was meh, at best.

If you guys haven't, you should download the Black Mesa Source mod, it's a remake/reimagining of the original game, it's really good.

Half-Life is just from a different era and it has a different type of gameplay philosophy. If you cannot fathom not blowing something up every 30 seconds or less, it's going to be like walking into Full Metal Jacket expecting Expendables.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
misc%20bb.jpg
lvd2pUX.png

Nowise10

Its Halo:Reach's birthday today.

3 exact years ago we we're all getting home from the midnight launch and enjoying life <3

I like reach

Omni

I'm randomly watching Angel (that show about the vampire), and the voice actor for the Didact comes on. Or at least I think it's him. So weird, hah

FyreWulff

3 exact years ago we we're all getting home from the midnight launch and enjoying life <3

I like reach

Food for thought: under the previous cadence, we would have still been playing Reach as the mainline active Halo game right now. We probably would have been waiting for Halo 4 to release a week from now.

Everything around Reach is a ball of yarn we're going to spend unraveling for quite some time.

I'll be on Reach today.

edit:

Xs4SU1H.jpg

Gui_PT

I don't understand the love for Half Life games

I'M SORRY

Edit: About customs. Are they going to fun or filled with tryhards that camp with camo+shotgun like in Reach customs?

Blueblur1

I don't understand the love for Half Life games

I'M SORRY

Edit: About customs. Are they going to fun or filled with tryhards that camp with camo+shotgun like in Reach customs?

Now that you said it, I'm gonna make sure to kill you repeatedly with camo and the shotgun. :)

Computer

I like reach
Reach was the demise of Halo. I was addicted to Halo befor Reach. I lost interest even befor the Bata was over. That's when I knew Halo was in trouble.

Omni

Three years since Reach? Wow. I can still remember picking the Legendary edition up from the store.

Overall it was a great game. Sure there were some questionable aspects to certain gameplay additions, but the sense of community was far greater than what we see now in Halo 4, IMO. I could log onto Live almost every weekend for a while there and just hop into some crazy custom games. Or grab a friend and play some Firefight - not because we were trying to boost up to the next rank, but because it was fun (something which Halo 4 seems to be lacking these days).

Plus BTB in that game was pretty damn solid (before the inclusion of those monotone "Heavies" forge maps, of course) and going in with a couple of friends was just stupid fun (CTF/Assault on Bloodgulch = awesome). And Invasion, while horribly unbalanced, was interesting in itself

I suddenly feel the urge to play Reach, :lol. Dat nostalgia

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HaloGAF Customs will begin around 9PM Eastern

Figured we would mix up gametypes too instead of just Ricochet

Yeah Reach had issues for sure, bloom, movement, bad maps, armor lock, but overall it was a better and more complete package than Halo 4. Halo 4 does some things better than Reach, but as whole I would take Reach every time.

Of course any of the first three Halo games take a big dump on both though.

Ah, Halo Reach it was my first Halo game I played it non stop both multiplayer and campaign, really enjoyed the altenative ways to advance in campaign and its ability to edit your Noble 6 to appear on the cutscenes.

The multiplayer without counting the armor lock was great, I get a little confused about the DMR's recoil but I have fun playing. Oh the losses in Reach were terrible, terrible indeed.

JDHarbs

Its quite amazing to witness the amount of love sky-rocket for the previous Halo game after the latest one releases. Reach was ripped to absolute shreds during its lifespan, and nowadays I'm often seeing the exact opposite. I really don't get this.

Ah, Halo Reach it was my first Halo game I played it non stop both multiplayer and campaign, really enjoyed the altenative ways to advance in campaign and its ability to edit your Noble 6 to appear on the cutscenes.

The multiplayer without counting the armor lock was great, I get a little confused about the DMR's recoil but I have fun playing. Oh the losses in Reach were terrible, terrible indeed.

Damnit man, I am sooo sorry to hear this :|

I wish I had a time machine for you.

Nowise10

Its quite amazing to witness the amount of love sky-rocket for the previous Halo game after the latest one releases. Reach was ripped to absolute shreds during its lifespan, and nowadays I'm often seeing the exact opposite. I really don't get this.

I never thought it was terrible I played it almost every single day, but I do see what you mean. Campaign was the best one Bungie made though.

CoD 4. What a joke. The game that started the modern military shooter craze and removed all semblance of challenge, skill and complexity from the FPS genre. Bravo.
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is justified. Yes. it started it trend and that's why it is one of the important shooter games. Because you don't like it, it doesn't mean you can diminish its influence. And the campaign was breathtaking... Well for the first playthrough.

Karl2177

It's because you realize what the game did right, instead of obsessing with what is wrong. That being said, if you ignore Firefight, I still dislike Reach.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is justified. Yes. it started it trend and that's why it is one of the important shooter games. Because you don't like it, it doesn't mean you can diminish its influence. And the campaign was breathtaking... Well for the first playthrough.

I'm not diminishing its influence. It had a huge influence, just in a terrible way. Halo Reach and Halo 4 are largely poor games because of the success of CoD.

Personally I found the single player a bit boring, but nevertheless with a game like CoD thats only half the game when so many emptyheads get it just for multiplayer.

Top Bottom