• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

The fuck?
Jun
shows up in that Commander Palmer comic series?

Well damn, looks like I'm going to pick this series up when it is released in hardcover.

I'd wait and see if it develops. Jun's in there for all of two pages. The series isn't bad so far but it's still mostly table-setting, will have to see if the final issues push it somewhere more interesting.

Madness

Sorry about that friend request exwife, my privacy settings don't allow to 'message' people not on my list. Used the friend request to see you playing and joined in progress. Couldn't do it to Tashi since it said his list was full.

7 minutes of Grifball, its kinda like 7 minutes in heaven but its just you in the closet, just standing there. Dieing on the inside. Forever Alone.

good games guys, feels weird playing ricochet on a big map

also got a flagassassination too

ctfdoublesturboflag.jpg

belushy

Banned
Anyone else been having horrible lag in games lately? Seems every single game I've played in the last few days have some sort of lag. Played a game of Haven Ricochet before I rage quit today and all my sniper shots were blood shots and this sword guy ate so many storm rifle shots and he still kills me. And every complex game has been horrible in BTB and it seems like it is always getting chosen now.

Did play a lag-free game of Ricochet on Simplex though. It plays great in my opinion. Dispatch Ricochet is pretty bad though.

Anyone else been having horrible lag in games lately? Seems every single game I've played in the last few days have some sort of lag. Played a game of Haven Ricochet before I rage quit today and all my sniper shots were blood shots and this sword guy ate so many storm rifle shots and he still kills me. And every complex game has been horrible in BTB and it seems like it is always getting chosen now.

Did play a lag-free game of Ricochet on Simplex though. It plays great in my opinion. Dispatch Ricochet is pretty bad though.

Probably something to do with the population. Didnt it hit 17K peak one day? That aint good per playlist. IMO.

Obscured

I feel like I've seen more laggy games, but I hadn't played for a bit, so I might have just been playing horribly after an absence.

Customs looked like a good time.

belushy

Banned
"Check out this shitty map that's going into matchmaking next week..."

The Ark is a good map. You guys just happened to play one of the most frustrating gametypes that has ever been in any Halo game. Not just that but from what I saw the lag in the customs you guys were playing was pretty horrible.

Also forgers put tons of hours into their maps. They work really hard to make it their own and to balance it the best they can. Not sure if you knew but Fated Fire (he was in the customs with you guys) was the one who made the Ark and you guys kind of shitted on it while he was in the party. No one even really gave any constructive criticism about it either.

daedalius

The Ark is a good map. You guys just happened to play one of the most frustrating gametypes that has ever been in any Halo game. Not just that but from what I saw the lag in the customs you guys were playing was pretty horrible.

Also forgers put tons of hours into their maps. They work really hard to make it their own and to balance it the best they can. Not sure if you knew but Fated Fire (he was in the customs with you guys) was the one who made the Ark and you guys kind of shitted on it while he was in the party. No one even really gave any constructive criticism about it either.

Well, unless it was after the game, we were on the other team.

How are you supposed to even give constructive criticism about a map if we're only playing snipers? I mean, unless its only supposed to be for snipers, but that seems like a poor decision.

I fucking hate snipers

belushy

Banned
Well, unless it was after the game, we were on the other team.

How are you supposed to even give constructive criticism about a map if we're only playing snipers? I mean, unless its only supposed to be for snipers, but that seems like a poor decision.

I fucking hate snipers

I hate snipers too, so I understand your point about not really being able to give your feedback on it, and especially if it was your first time playing on that particular map. Though ExWife did just say it was a terrible map; not sure how many times you've played on it though Ex.

Not sure but after the game Fated asked if anyone was spawning in weird places, and someone jokingly said something like "The whole map" and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I know right after that the person gave a real example, but it was really only him who gave any form of feedback.

I hate snipers too, so I understand your point about not really being able to give your feedback on it, and especially if it was your first time playing on that particular map. Though ExWife did just say it was a terrible map; not sure how many times you've played on it though Ex.

Not sure but after the game Fated asked if anyone was spawning in weird places, and someone jokingly said something like "The whole map" and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I know right after that the person gave a real example, but it was really only him who gave any form of feedback.

I've played on it quite a few times. Multiple gametypes, snipers included. The map is just awkward, with little flow to the encounters, excepting the sections on the walls. Those are well made. Asymmetrical maps aren't something we need more of in this game, personally.

The Ark is a good map.

People have opinions and that is yours. Every experience I've had on the map, half the time I'm fighting the sight-lines (which are either too wide open or easy to exploit peek shots, with not much else) or getting shit spawns nonstop. The spawns have improved from previous times when I've played it, but it doesn't make it great. Personally, I don't want to play on it. Aside from Snipers being a horrible gametype in 4, I don't think it was good for anything but perhaps FFA. I played a few FFAs on it before and they played well enough.

I don't know how long you watched the stream, but the party was basically commandeered into a cartographers test session (not inherently bad, but read on). One of the guys' connections (Coldfusion I believe) was making the games nigh unplayable. It got to the point where we weren't there to play with other GAFfers (are those guys on GAF? They can speak for themselves if that's the case) or even test the maps (which is what it had become), but just to "hey check this thing out". It may sound mean or whatever, but after a couple hours, getting shit on by a joke of a connection every game, being used as grudging guinea pigs (half the party groaning at snipers for example, yet it's played), and just having an all-around frustrating time, I just left and we played matchmaking. Turned out a much better experience, sadly.

Also, like I said previously, nobody was going into the game (or the night, really) in the mindset that we were doing serious forge map testing, so I doubt most of us were paying special attention to every problem with the map/gametype as we played and it was more of a feeling of how it works. Being harsh on a map when we're supposed to be just having a jolly time playing with GAFfers is unfortunate, but if we were forced to play Settler and whoever designed that shitstorm was in the party, I'd be just as blunt about it as well.

Or Cragmire...

"It's going to make you beat your dick off!"

That didn't help.

belushy

Banned
Understandable, and I do agree with you with now with how you just described the situation.

And yes don't worry I saw the lag that was going on. That was pretty bad, and I could see it creating quite a tense situation in a lobby, hell I had rage quit from MM earlier because of how bad the lag was.

Sorry if I seemed dickish in that post before, I've just always had respect for the forgers dudes, especially with how much they got shit on in Reach because of the gray pallet and shit framerate of Forge island.

NOKYARD

Sorry about all the map makers filling out the party and naturally inviting all their friends. I got messages from MrGreen and others who didn't join after i told them what was actually going on. Problem is when forgers see Tashi and i in a party they assume we are doing Community Cartographer testing.

Literally laughed out loud :lol

My work here is done.

Yeah, I really wasn't a fan of just testing maps for so long last night. Customs started off great last night then went downhill for a while. I probably could have stayed on for another hour or so but I figured that there was going to be more and more map testing so I opted to end my night.

I didn't feel that any maps were absolutely terrible or anything, but I wasn't really big on any in particular.

And also, I don't want to act like the HaloGaf customs are supposed to be some type of exclusive club or anything, but we had a few guys in there last night that hardly anybody knew. I realize that having 12 people is way more fun than having six, but when most of those are people that cause the rest of us to go "Who is this? Who is that?" over and over isn't really all that great.

I mean, I thought I was the only one doing it, then I'd hear someone like ExWife or Daedilililius asking who they were and knew I wasn't the only one.

I don't mean to just bitch and moan, but something was off last night
wtzgU.gif

Fuchsdh

Yeah I think it's best to leaven the map testing, because if maps have problems it can be really frustrating to play untested stuff over and over again.

A lot of the maps were good in my opinion, but things like poor spawns just made them frustrating (especially the 1-Flag we played, where defenders were spawning right on the flag and attackers across the other side of the map.)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sorry about all the map makers filling out the party and naturally inviting all their friends. I got messages from MrGreen and others who didn't join after i told them what was actually going on. Problem is when forgers see Tashi and i in a party they assume we are doing Community Cartographer testing.

My work here is done.

Yea I wasn't expecting that.

And just for the record I didn't put on any Forge maps for test. I wasn't testing any Cartographer stuff that night. That was all just customs for fun. Sorry that it turned into that after I left.

Yea watching customs was fun for a game (the pit wasnt terrible) then it got into like BTB sized # of players on shitty maps, boring ball games on Valhalla and shitty large forge maps that are all grey. I even saw a really ugly really grey Zanzibar which coincidentally didn't play well at all for Flag. Maybe because theres no longer any element of surprise for flag running, but probably had to do with a million other reasons too.

Why are they forging all this crap? When you can get proven winners like Midship (Onyx isnt Midship it sucks real bad, its terrible) and Warlock!

And did you really play Grifball? Cmon son.

Also HaloGAF is so soulless now. I dont know any of you. HGS.

Madness

Lol, I just didn't know what was going on for a bit. Couldn't hear anyone for a few matches because of privacy settings, came back to join, played a few weird gametypes I'd never done before, on maps I'd never played either. Plus hadn't really played for a long time now and so I lost almost every gun battle and was out shot constantly.

Top Bottom