• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

BigShow36

Skill gap was huge. Auto aim was way turned down in Top Gun and the dogfighting kill times were short.

top-gun-high-five-o.gif

The video at the top of the bulletin wasn't an "ad" per se, but a promotional video advertising the upcoming Ricochet Forge Contest with some RvB guys talking, and it autoplays when you load the page so adblock plus wouldn't do squat.

As soon as I load the Bulletin, a 15-second Verizon ad plays; then the RvB video plays. You'd think 343 would be able to host the RvB video somewhere without having to stick an advertisement in front of it.

Maybe adblock would kill the Verizon ad, but I assume you're right about it not turning off autoplay. Just an annoying detail though - it's not the end of the world.

As soon as I load the Bulletin, a 15-second Verizon ad plays; then the RvB video plays. You'd think 343 would be able to host the RvB video somewhere without having to stick an advertisement in front of it.

Maybe adblock would kill the Verizon ad, but I assume you're right about it not turning off autoplay. Just an annoying detail though - it's not the end of the world.

Looks like an embed from BlipTV which I believe Rooster Teeth use for their video hosting. Most likely this means no control by 343i and they left the hosting to be done by Rooster Teeth's standard business operation for hits/stats/referrals/upload control etc.

Ads do suck though, when is the Internet getting TV style regulations for ad times vs show times per hour? Too many times on YT you load an ad for 20 seconds to watch a clip for 40 seconds and then do it again.

my bad, and I guess i've incriminated myself as a filthy ad blocker!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why can only people who actively like something comment?

Explain that one Deadly. You just mindlessly defend Halo when it doesn't need to be. The game still sells millions and it's very obvious how much Halo devs/management have shat on their fans over the years.

Because you'll offend Cyclone, Dadalious, and Fuschesshhshchch.

Come on now Ram/Fun,

You all really still think I care that much about Halo 4 that I'd actively try to dissuade people from speaking against it? Hell, I speak against it. It's not a true Halo game (more true for MP), and I've played it maybe 3 times in the past 5-6 months. Not something that typically happens with Halo for me.

My comment about BigShow stemmed from my understanding that he continues to read the bulletin for a game and company he clearly hates. Not that he can't do that, I just found it odd. I barely read those bulletins as someone who plays a bit of 4 still here and there, so someone who hates the game reading it made me chuckle. But he said he doesn't read it, so......

Carry on. I don't have an OddOne or Plywood gif to finish this.

I find that odd as well, but I'm curious what you mean by "indulging in." I don't play Halo, I don't read the bulletins, the only "Halo" thing I do now is pine for better days on here, and that's on rare occassions these days.

I was under the impression that you had, and that's why you were commenting on it. My mistake there. I have nothing against you BigShow, I just like to argue, which tends to create issues.Should have been a lawyer.

Donuts...

Wharer! Draw something.

Wondering if 343 are using a whole new type of engine that they need to build the next Halo game from the ground up OR it's an evolution to the Reach 2.0 engine?

If you read a few interviews about Frankie discussing Halo 4 Dev process and also the rest of the trilogy (now Saga), they "Evolve" the current engine by stripping a lot of the existing code and adding new and improved code to revamp it. Using new artistic tech. tools to create realistic characters and animations. The graphics and art design for Halo 4 is awesome. I can't deny that.

They're using all new tech including the Xb1 architecture to tap into its power. Maybe they had to upgrade to a whole new engine to work with.. But assuming they've been on this project since 2011 till 2014. Very possible it's Reach 3.0 Engine + XB1-Steroids.

Rebuilding an engine from scratch is really hard work, hence it's a big deal when companies do it (Next gen Madden) or why most companies just use Unreal or whathaveyou. I expect we would hear if Halo 5 or whatnot is completely revamped.
Halo 2: Anniversary running on UR3.

Fuchsdh

Rebuilding an engine from scratch is really hard work, hence it's a big deal when companies do it (Next gen Madden) or why most companies just use Unreal or whathaveyou. I expect we would hear if Halo 5 or whatnot is completely revamped.

Adblock on that video player causes a 90-second waiting screen to discourage use of adblock. It's annoying, but it's less time to just watch the ad.

BigShow36

I was under the impression that you had, and that's why you were commenting on it. My mistake there. I have nothing against you BigShow, I just like to argue, which tends to create issues.Should have been a lawyer.

No need to appologize, that's why I'm here; to have conversations and arguments with people who agree and disagree with me on what Halo should be. Trust me, nothing anyone says to me on here offends me.

Anyone up for some quick headhunter testing, I finally came up with how to show the number of skulls being carried on your waypoint and I'd like to test it.

belushy

Banned
Wharer! Draw something.

Seriously. I stalk the Drawing a Day thread and he has posted some pretty awesome stuff.

Also, is anybody getting "Database Error" every time you click a thread or any button on the site, really. All I have to do is refresh and the page loads but it is getting quite annoying having to do that.

Tawpgun

Gaming needs more female protagonists. It's crazy how little representation women get in games as the main hero.

It allows us to have a constant view of their ass while playing.

synth92

Neo Member
Yup, sucks because the newest version is much better and bug free, it even has rays and shit when you capture a beacon (flag).

The same thing happened to me with Race. I know how it feels, man especially when someone claimed they made it, but fortunately it's almost never a major issue considering most people don't know about it (and I'll make sure it stays this way).

Your gametypes are amazing and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. :)

So the folks at 343 wanted to change all the voice actors or did I hear that incorrectly?
This was rumoured early on last year, we talked about it here, as well as other industry mentions hinting at a big AAA game sequel re-recording all of its audio because of fan input.

So not surprised, and in fact impressed that 343 ultimately made the right decision.
I'd love the hear the original takes and hear 343 talk about it one day.

When are we going to hear more stuff about the next Halo game?
I'm ready for a new cycle of hope and despair
We have no idea, they have been exceptionally quiet. January/February I'd guess for anything substantial [a trailer and magazine reveal]

Gui_PT

This was rumoured early on last year, we talked about it here, as well as other industry mentions hinting at a big AAA game sequel re-recording all of its audio because of fan input.

So not surprised, and in fact impressed that 343 ultimately made the right decision.
I'd love the hear the original takes and hear 343 talk about it one day.

That's pretty cool, I haven't heard about this. Glad they made the right decision.

Thanks for the reply.

Real talk: how much more accepting would you have been of Halo 4 had it been explicitly labeled as a reboot?

It'd still be a sequel, though. Sort of like how Predators was designed as both a sequel and a reimagining.

Real talk: how much more accepting would you have been of Halo 4 had it been explicitly labeled as a reboot?

It'd still be a sequel, though. Sort of like how Predators was designed as both a sequel and a reimagining.
It's far too similar to be labelled a reboot.
It'd be considered a bit of lie if they tried to frame it as such.*
Halo 4 is trapped in an awkward stance of trying to continue it's legacy / be as good a Halo game as it's legacy and still do new things both mechanically and narratively.

Unfortunately, the quality of the individual bits isn't where it needed to be. It's still an impressive piece of software in many aspects, but not ultimately in the right ones (e.g. I'd much rather have been disappointed with the graphical quality rather than the gameplay or art design)

*See numerous reviews where criticsm was levelled for playing too safe

The same thing happened to me with Race. I know how it feels, man especially when someone claimed they made it, but fortunately it's almost never a major issue considering most people don't know about it (and I'll make sure it stays this way).

Your gametypes are amazing and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. :)

A wild synth appears, didn't know you have an account here man ;)

FyreWulff

I remember once that someone tried to claim to NOKYARD that they created the standard grifball map (on Sandbox)

He proceeded to go around the map with their friends and tell them to delete blocks and find spawn zones and their exact dimensions before they even looked at them.

NOKYARD

I remember once that someone tried to claim to NOKYARD that they created the standard grifball map (on Sandbox)

He proceeded to go around the map with their friends and tell them to delete blocks and find spawn zones and their exact dimensions before they even looked at them.

I still have the film of that. The best part was when i deleted the floor piece we were both standing on. He fell to his death and i was left standing on a small hidden piece which was used as a patch.

Fuchsdh

Gaming needs more female protagonists. It's crazy how little representation women get in games as the main hero.

It allows us to have a constant view of their ass while playing.

Yeah I searched Remember Me because I'd heard about it but never seen a shot before the above, and the ass-in-your-face cover art is a bit over the top (though I guess the 'back to the camera, profiled face' stance is pretty universal.)

And I think Ricochet is overall more enjoyable than Assault (at least in that it's more differentiated from Flag). Would be fun to see it in a BTB context though.

Top Bottom