• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

FyreWulff

FWIW, I did buy Majestic because I had some money leftover on one of my GS cards. The general feeling was they were good, so I did. Never had any interest in buying either Crimson or Castle.

Majestic is definitely the best map pack for H4, so you didn't go wrong there.

I think it was an issue with how they got burned by expectations for ODST, which makes it understandable but still a poorer decision for the players. They could still have offered a voucher code or something to download all the other maps so only Anniversary was on-disc.

These options would have hurt Reach less:

- only include the code for Anniversary, and no multiplayer on-disc at all. this means everyone with Anni is still guaranteed to have all of Reach's standard maps

- a) let Anniversary load Reach's DLC (it can't) and b) release an 'export' dlc package ala rockband that lets Anniversary have all the Reach disc maps for free.

This option is the best for Reach right now:

- drop support for the Anniversary disc. Everyone who bought it new has a code for Anniversary. Make them redeem it.

Computer

I feel like a dumb ass. I have been hyping up free Halo 3 to everyone in hopes of having people that will actually play Halo with me for a change. I usually defend MS on the shit they pull but this is total bullshit. They knew everyone was talking about Halo 3 being free in July and they did nothing to correct anyone.

With the all digital future and steam parallels they keep pushing Microsoft needs to step up and have heavy sales on DLC next gen. And not just three or more years post launch.

Yeah they've gotten a lot better with prices of games on the platform, but DLC remains a travesty. A Halo 3 map pack (for a game that's closing in on being SIX years old!) is still full price.

-----------------------

DLC for Halo has been and remains to this day an absolute waste of money.

Enfinit

DLC for Halo has been and remains to this day an absolute waste of money.
Yup. I bought the limited edition of Halo 4 and have been playing regularly, have yet to play a single game on any map from the second or third map packs. The problem? None of my friend's have the map packs, nor do they have any interest whatsoever in getting them. How do you interest casual players into spending more than $60 for a game? A couple of my friends didn't even three map packs were released. I guess the blame's on marketing for that?

Mix

Yup. I bought the limited edition of Halo 4 and have been playing regularly, have yet to play a single game on any map from the second or third map packs. The problem? None of my friend's have the map packs, nor do they have any interest whatsoever in getting them. How do you interest casual players into spending more than $60 for a game? A couple of my friends didn't even three map packs were released. I guess the blame's on marketing for that?

Definitely marketing. Halo 3 had kick ass trailers and ViDocs and uit was plastered all around the Dashboard. Halo 4's DLC fell behind the CoD crap and entertainment side :/ Oh well...

EDIT: I'm still looking for a cheaper than dirt hotel in Austin near the convention center... I'm kinda screwed, I fell into financial problems and I can't afford the one my buddy from HBO set up for us :/

Marketing and poor Matchmaking design, You are rarely paired with DLC players and DLC maps shows poorly on the vote section and when it does its against two ragnaroks or Exile, No specific DLC only playlist and lazy achievements.

Definitely marketing. Halo 3 had kick ass trailers and ViDocs and uit was plastered all around the Dashboard. Halo 4's DLC fell behind the CoD crap and entertainment side :/ Oh well...

Dont forget the map pack price reduction after a new map pack shows up and restrictive DLC to play some of the default playlists.

Karl2177

One of the only good flag run I have seen for Halo 4.

Man, I used to see these all the time on Halo 3 and even Reach clip channels.

"So the new CTF really focuses on trying to encourage a little more team play" -Kiki Wolfkill

"In the past there was a lot of dropping of the flag and changing roles, and it led to chaos and confusion on the battlefield unless you had a really, really well-organized team. Now when you pick up the flag, you're 100% committed, and at that point your role is to deliver that flag." - Josh Holmes

Both quotes come from this ViDoc. http://youtu.be/zmOoGucyMNg?t=3m40s

Encouraging team play is more than just player roles on the team. Josh's quote is pretty disappointing, in my opinion. It shows how the game was designed to become less organic. Awesome moments don't come from programmer or designer. Awesome moments come from the player.

"So the new CTF really focuses on trying to encourage a little more team play" -Kiki Wolfkill

"In the past there was a lot of dropping of the flag and changing roles, and it led to chaos and confusion on the battlefield unless you had a really, really well-organized team. Now when you pick up the flag, you're 100% committed, and at that point your role is to deliver that flag." - Josh Holmes

Both quotes come from this ViDoc. http://youtu.be/zmOoGucyMNg?t=3m40s

Encouraging team play is more than just player roles on the team. Josh's quote is pretty disappointing, in my opinion. It shows how the game was designed to become less organic. Awesome moments don't come from programmer or designer. Awesome moments come from the player.

"The new CTF Changes are an absolute joke" -xxjuicesxx

Omni

Originally Posted by xxjuicesxx

"Halo 4 is an absolute joke" -everyone
FTFY
FTFY.

I finished Halo Wars a little while back and I'm left wondering, when are we ever going to get a sequel? Or even a continuation of the storyline? We've got like 3 badass Spartan IIs in old but awesomely designed armour, an AI that's on par with Cortana in regards to quirkiness and a giant ship. That already sounds better than what we got in Halo 4.

Since I'm on the topic and I'm already ranting... I hope they stop with the bipolar emotional Cortana crap in Halo 5. We all know she's coming back *oops, Halo 5 spoiler. Soz guyz*. It's really awkward to watch. Sure that one line in Halo 2 was nice and showed that they cared for each other... but they took it too damn far in Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

FTFY.

I finished Halo Wars a little while back and I'm left wondering, when are we ever going to get a sequel? Or even a continuation of the storyline? We've got like 3 badass Spartan IIs in old but awesomely designed armour, an AI that's on par with Cortana in regards to quirkiness and a giant ship. That already sounds better than what we got in Halo 4.

Well, the chances are better with 343i at the helm than any time previously. Frankie I believe gave me a cryptic noncommittal answer when I asked. But yes, I would love for them to wrap up that and introduce some of the characters back into the greater fiction.

Ghazi

Why would that be surprising, no leaks I mean, technically there already are with the driver and steam database info; but it's much easier to keep something a secret when it's digital only and kept in house.

Madness

Quite embarrassing we need to mod to get 1 flag game types in Halo 4, especially with the abundance of asymmetrical maps.

DeadNames

Banned
What the fuck is up with the modern game design philosophy of "random fun" bullshit? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with everyone spawning the same?

wwm0nkey

So it seems the general consensus on the gaming side thread is that Halo1-3 were the highlight of the series with 2-3 getting a lot of love and Reach/4 were the most disliked.

Interested to see what happens to Halo in 2014.

I wonder what people who say "MICROSOFT WILL NEVER GIVE STEAM LIKE SALES" are saying now. Wonder what they said during the last... 4 sales Microsoft has done?

So good, Borderlands 2 for $10, cheapest I've ever seen it. Haha can't wait for Next Gen, Xbox One launches in November, and December is the holiday sale, which is always good. Hope to pick up games like Dead Rising 3 for $40 through Xbox Live during the Xbox One's holiday sales.

Seriously Microsoft became amazing when it comes to sale.

J10

Banned
So it seems the general consensus on the gaming side thread is that Halo1-3 were the highlight of the series with 2-3 getting a lot of love and Reach/4 were the most disliked.

Interested to see what happens to Halo in 2014.

In 2014 they add a third perk slot to loadouts and remove shields. Nothing stops this train.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
:( Far Cry 3 is only 1360 MSP in the sale, but I only have 430.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait to see the prices for the other games.

Maybe I'll get Bulletstorm or something.

I wonder what people who say "MICROSOFT WILL NEVER GIVE STEAM LIKE SALES" are saying now. Wonder what they said during the last... 4 sales Microsoft has done?

So good, Borderlands 2 for $10, cheapest I've ever seen it. Haha can't wait for Next Gen, Xbox One launches in November, and December is the holiday sale, which is always good. Hope to pick up games like Dead Rising 3 for $40 through Xbox Live during the Xbox One's holiday sales.

Seriously Microsoft became amazing when it comes to sale.
That's great and everything...but why is it that when I go to the XBL Marketplace homepage I can't see which games are on sale? Is there a sale hub, or do I have to go searching for which games are on sale?

m23

That's great and everything...but why is it that when I go to the XBL Marketplace homepage I can't see which games are on sale? Is there a sale hub, or do I have to go searching for which games are on sale?

Pretty dumb way they're promoting it. We have a thread where people are posting the sale prices of the games......

The sale isn't starting till tomorrow, just the prices accidentally go up a few hours early. Tomorrow you'll see an ad on the dash indicating what's on sale and what's not.

Edit: tomorrow I guess.

Max Payne 3 is $10 right now, might pick that up. Tom Raider hasn't hit its sale price for the week ($30 right now). I'll probably pick that up when the sale price hits.

Perfect Dark Zero is $3, lol Fyrewulff inbound!

m23

Edit: tomorrow I guess.

Max Payne 3 is $10 right now, might pick that up. Tom Raider hasn't hit its sale price for the week ($30 right now). I'll probably pick that up when the sale price hits.

Perfect Dark Zero is $3, lol Fyrewulff inbound!

Max Payne 3 is so worth $10.

Ghazi

I'm really hoping BioShock Infinite hits $20 because that'd be a steal since I've yet to play it and I haven't watched any YouTube commentaries of it like I had planned in doing.

Top Bottom