• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Computron

Totally forgot about them! Maybe because I only completed the campaign once or twice.

I'd argue that Halo 2 was his best work... But potato potato. ;)

That isn't right...

I mean, they're not shutting down games for windows live. You should still be able to sign in.

I tried two different profiles. It is possible that it is GFWL acting up as I said earlier, and I will triple check with GTA4 PC. The date was set for the end of june though, right?

If you got Halo 2 vista though, check it.

Omni

I tried two different profiles. It is possible that it is GFWL acting up as I said earlier, and I will triple check with GTA4 PC. The date was set for the end of june though, right?

If you got Halo 2 vista though, check it.
he81.png

Works on my end.

Computron

Hmm, GTA 4 seems to be having the same issue on my end as Halo 2. Guess its a problem on my side. Maybe my ports need to be forwarded again.

See if you can still join games in Halo 2.

Computron

She's still kickin'

My bad, I was installing a new router this week and the ports likely haven't been forwarded causing the connection errors.

Its good that we still got it for a bit longer, maybe we should get together tomorrow if its still on, give it one last GAF H2V-Day

Omni

How many multiplayer maps do you think they can fit on a 50GB BluRay for Halo 5?
Technically they could fit well... at least 50 (and that's a somewhat reserved estimate if we were going to judge file sizes by this gen and my memory is correct).

Saying that however, it's not going to happen. Things will be a little a lot less compressed in terms of textures and audio, but I wouldn't expect more content just because there is space left over on the disc. I'd wager that we'll get the same amount of maps that we usually do (they are still on a two year dev cycle after all)

Madness

Discs in 2013 and beyond?

Fuck that shit

You really love digital huh? I don't know, I just don't like paying full price for something I can't physically own. I mean even now, digital versions of Xbox 360 games are more expensive than what you can get at your local Walmart/Best Buy etc.

Plus I like buying blu-ray movies. I can easily see the artifacts and ghosting when watching HD movies etc. Just can't beat disc quality yet.

Another concern is, the fact you can take discs anywhere, no need to worry about licenses, transfer etc. I can understand the convenience of never going to the store to buy games, having to swap out discs etc.

You really love digital huh? I don't know, I just don't like paying full price for something I can't physically own. I mean even now, digital versions of Xbox 360 games are more expensive than what you can get at your local Walmart/Best Buy etc.

Plus I like buying blu-ray movies. I can easily see the artifacts and ghosting when watching HD movies etc. Just can't beat disc quality yet.

Another concern is, the fact you can take discs anywhere, no need to worry about licenses, transfer etc. I can understand the convenience of never going to the store to buy games, having to swap out discs etc.

I mean it's all opportunity cost and that's obviously different for each person.

For me, the convenience of digital copies of games absolutely outweighs any advantages of physical copies. The cost of digital has been coming down as more people embrace digital copies and will continue to do so as more people do.

I'm not saying that the disc drive needs to be abolished all together, I'll watch Blu-ray films and TV shows on an X1.

I just can't hop on the digital bandwagon for consoles. I don't want to deal with upgrading all the hard drives and I feel better about buying physical on a closed platform, seeing as who knows what direction they'll go with keeping things hosted and how BC will end up next gen. PC's gonna be my DD spot, but I still have a soft spot for physical on the console side.

Gui_PT

Has anyone tried downloading Defense Grid?

It's advertised at Xbox's front page as a free gold game but it's still listed at 800MSP

Madness

Has anyone tried downloading Defense Grid?

It's advertised at Xbox's front page as a free gold game but it's still listed at 800MSP

I tried earlier, was still 800 msp, but now that's it's officially July 1st in west coast, should be free. It'll be free today for sure though, they said July 1st.

Gui_PT

I tried earlier, was still 800 msp, but now that's it's officially July 1st in west coast, should be free. It'll be free today for sure though, they said July 1st.

Got a reply on twitter saying "Price is currently showing incorrectly - it's been flagged and should be fixed soon"

Madness

So Halo 3 on the 16th, 1st of next month or 16th of next month?

No one knows now. They heavily implied Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3 would be the first and then they put some XBLA game out.

Major Nelson said while they were mentioned, no date was given, but they heavily implied it when they said and kicking off our program, here are two of the titles in the months to come. Why even say kicking off our program?

I bet they don't release them till a few months later when Halo 4 goes down a bit more, or we get closer to XbOne launch. That way 343 can justify no playlist consolidation saying they've moved onto next console support etc.

I'm not complaining that I can't get the games. I own both, Assassin's Creed 2 is perhaps one of the best games I've ever played. I'm upset because I thought this month, we'd get thousands and thousands of new Halo 3 players and the game could pick up and we can start having regular team slayer matches again. If Fable III got so high, imagine what Halo 3 could have been, top 5 probably.

I just can't hop on the digital bandwagon for consoles. I don't want to deal with upgrading all the hard drives and I feel better about buying physical on a closed platform, seeing as who knows what direction they'll go with keeping things hosted and how BC will end up next gen. PC's gonna be my DD spot, but I still have a soft spot for physical on the console side.
Sums up exactly how I feel.

Omni

No one knows now. They heavily implied Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3 would be the first and then they put some XBLA game out.

Major Nelson said while they were mentioned, no date was given, but they heavily implied it when they said and kicking off our program, here are two of the titles in the months to come. Why even say kicking off our program?

I bet they don't release them till a few months later when Halo 4 goes down a bit more, or we get closer to XbOne launch. That way 343 can justify no playlist consolidation saying they've moved onto next console support etc.

I'm not complaining that I can't get the games. I own both, Assassin's Creed 2 is perhaps one of the best games I've ever played. I'm upset because I thought this month, we'd get thousands and thousands of new Halo 3 players and the game could pick up and we can start having regular team slayer matches again. If Fable III got so high, imagine what Halo 3 could have been, top 5 probably.
I reaaally want to see Halo 3 blow Halo 4 out of the water. Hopefully it happens soon.

But I also don't want to see 343i touch the playlists in 3. Right now, I can play any of the DLC maps whenever I want to. Playlists while rather abundant in number (shouldn't matter too much if the population sky rockets), give great variety. Given what 343i have done with Reach and 4, that's just another thing that they'd fuck up. Probably alone on that one though.

Nebula

Not saying 343 did this, but it would be hilarious if they put some words through to the people making the decisions on what goes free and stopped Halo 3 being released for free. If a game like Fable 3 managed to hit the levels it did, imagine a Halo which was heavily enjoyed having a huge population injection. It would hit Halo 4 hard. Halo 4 hasn't exactly got the population to spare either.

Not going to blame 343 or MS for anything yet, but if 2 months pass and we don't see Halo 3, I will most definitely be blaming one or both of them for it not releasing for free.

willow ve

Not saying 343 did this, but it would be hilarious if they put some words through to the people making the decisions on what goes free and stopped Halo 3 being released for free. If a game like Fable 3 managed to hit the levels it did, imagine a Halo which was heavily enjoyed having a huge population injection. It would hit Halo 4 hard. Halo 4 hasn't exactly got the population to spare either.

Not going to blame 343 or MS for anything yet, but if 2 months pass and we don't see Halo 3, I will most definitely be blaming one or both of them for it not releasing for free.

It has to go free at some point, but that point could also be the month before Xbox One is released. By then they'll use the free Halo 3 as a "get ready for Halo 5 - coming 2014 - by playing the most played Halo game of all time"

Nebula

It has to go free at some point, but that point could also be the month before Xbox One is released. By then they'll use the free Halo 3 as a "get ready for Halo 5 - coming 2014 - by playing the most played Halo game of all time"

A month of Halo 3 before I jump to PS4? Was hoping for more time to be honest.

FyreWulff

Now this is something 343 need to resolve in the next Halo game.

g2efCF6.png

Already was, Halo 3 had poor DLC adoption until Mythic. Mythic finally made it so the majority of Halo 3 MM had DLC. Enough that Bungie was able to mark DLC as optional in most of matchmaking and you'd still get DLC maps on the regular, and this was with Halo 3 not even having a DLC component to it's matchmaking criteria algorithm.

If we had gotten an actual Reach Mythic, I can practically guarantee you it would have started raining Noble, Defiant, and Anniversary maps in MM. Bungie designed a pretty nice DLC matching algorithm for Reach MM, unfortunately Microsoft did nothing to facilitate getting enough DLC adoption for people to notice it existed. It's a shame when they have a known solution to keeping their userbase together, and ignore it.

Striker

It would've been a better choice for sure.

You recall the DLC playlist they did in Reach in its later stages (it had pre-TU settings, some maps like Breakpoint, Highlands, and some others) and it often had 200-400 people in it per night (at least by the population counter, who knows what it really was). Out comes Halo 4 and it's just as bad, if not worse in some cases (Crimson's Free to Play thing popped in some more players, but once people had to pay for it, it fell hard).

FWIW, I did buy Majestic because I had some money leftover on one of my GS cards. The general feeling was they were good, so I did. Never had any interest in buying either Crimson or Castle.

Nebula

I always thought that Halo Anniversary should have included all the maps, and not just the Anniversary maps. Would have given DLC a much larger chance to come up in voting. Not sure why they never made that move though. It would have definitely increased sales given how many people didn't buy the DLC maps.

I guess we won't see anything like that for Halo 4 because we have the Season Pass and there isn't anything to release alongside the maps like ODST.

Fuchsdh

I always thought that Halo Anniversary should have included all the maps, and not just the Anniversary maps. Would have given DLC a much larger chance to come up in voting. Not sure why they never made that move though. It would have definitely increased sales given how many people didn't buy the DLC maps.

I guess we won't see anything like that for Halo 4 because we have the Season Pass and there isn't anything to release alongside the maps like ODST.

I think it was an issue with how they got burned by expectations for ODST, which makes it understandable but still a poorer decision for the players. They could still have offered a voucher code or something to download all the other maps so only Anniversary was on-disc.

willow ve

With the all digital future and steam parallels they keep pushing Microsoft needs to step up and have heavy sales on DLC next gen. And not just three or more years post launch.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Halo 2 iOS would be the weirdest thing ever unless it goes hand in hand with Apple releasing a controller. If that happens it could be cool and it could work well. Imagine having Halo 2 with you everywhere you take your iPad (and controller). I could play MP at work over lunch.

The panel is called "What's Next: Halo 4 Summer 2013"

I'm not really expecting anything besides talk of the FFA tournament and maybe Legendary Slayer (lol).

Halo 2 iOS would be the weirdest thing ever unless it goes hand in hand with Apple releasing a controller. If that happens it could be cool and it could work well. Imagine having Halo 2 with you everywhere you take your iPad (and controller). I could play MP at work over lunch.

RIP my iPhone battery

Fuchsdh

Yeah, makes more sense to be at least a Surface led game, if it even exists.
Might be a rumour that bled over from Spartan Assault that combined with the Halo 2/3 PC rumours.
Seems likely. I do think it's likely Spartan Assault, et al will eventually come to iOS, because as of late Microsoft seems to have a good relationship with Apple, but I do think they're still going to time exclusives, etc, to push their own hardware, which makes sense.

Shadders

EDIT 2: Yup, my bad. Was installing a new router this week and didn't forward the ports.

EDIT: Apparently not?

RIP Halo 2

Again....

Went out without a whimper, nor a bang:

Man, Google Reader also went down today, and Halo 3 will not be getting a stimulus of free Live Gold gamers tomorrow....

...What a day...

:-(

It's still up, you just need to download the patch. : )

(It's not all swanky and automated like Xbox)

Top Bottom