• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Edit: tomorrow I guess.

Max Payne 3 is $10 right now, might pick that up. Tom Raider hasn't hit its sale price for the week ($30 right now). I'll probably pick that up when the sale price hits.

Perfect Dark Zero is $3, lol Fyrewulff inbound!

That stuff, along with DVDs and movie releases goes out on Tuesdays in theUS at least.

Ghazi

Ah. Well, enjoy kiddos. I pretty much exclusively play 3rd party games on PC now so Amazon, GMG and whatever Steam has planned is enough for me.
What is this mystical "PC" you refer to?
lol I'd do PC if I could afford it, it makes me sad too because a lot of my friends around my age have actually been getting gaming pcs and all that jazz. Not to mention that most exclusives that interested me on consoles have fizzled out, nothing can replaced Nintendo handhelds though.

Omni

Anyone have a link to which games are on sale and how much they are?

hsNX7Xs.png
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610636

I think I'm gonna wait for Forza Horizons in this sale. Hopefully it is cheap

It suddenly occurred to me that in Halo 4, no one seemed to care what MC did at the end of Halo 3. I mean, in Halo 2 there was a whole scene taking place at an awards ceremony.
So underwhelming now that I think about it. Sure you have that one scene with (forgot his name... umm... I don't even know. How embarrassing. The one guy who is likeable in the campaign) but it was very lacklustre. And I know they were kinda pre-occupied story-wise, but they could have even threw something in there at the end of the game.. (the Spartans saluting was hardly satisfying)

There's my rant for the day about Halo 4!

Madness

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610636

I think I'm gonna wait for Forza Horizons in this sale. Hopefully it is cheap

It suddenly occurred to me that in Halo 4, no one seemed to care what MC did at the end of Halo 3. I mean, in Halo 2 there was a whole scene taking place at an awards ceremony.

So underwhelming now that I think about it. Sure you have that one scene with (forgot his name... umm... I don't even know. How embarrassing. The one guy who is likeable in the campaign) but it was very lacklustre. And I know they were kinda pre-occupied story-wise, but they could have even threw something in there at the end of the game.. (the Spartans saluting was hardly satisfying)

One of my biggest peeves from the start. In the original games, most humans just seeing a Spartan became excited, here you have Chief and no one gives a shit basically. Here is a man who saved potentially the galaxy. He eradicated the flood, ended the Prophet-led covenant threat, saved humanity from extinction. And no one gives a shit. You get a small blurb like 'did you say forward unto dawn', 'heh, thought you'd be taller' etc.

Just shows 343 wants you to pretty much get over Bungie Halo, as quick as possible. Look what they've turned Halsey into. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some way to ruin the arbiters character too.

And it all makes no sense. They've been able to do all this in a period of 4 years from the brink of extinction, Earth nearly destroyed, all major colonies including military might Reach destroyed.

Can't wait to see the story of Spartan Assault. Will be interesting to see how Palmer goes from ODST to commander of all Spartans in less than 3-4 years. Training, augmentation etc.

Fuchsdh

We've got 3 now if you want to play

Sorry got roped into a "Community" marathon.

One of my biggest peeves from the start. In the original games, most humans just seeing a Spartan became excited, here you have Chief and no one gives a shit basically. Here is a man who saved potentially the galaxy. He eradicated the flood, ended the Prophet-led covenant threat, saved humanity from extinction. And no one gives a shit. You get a small blurb like 'did you say forward unto dawn', 'heh, thought you'd be taller' etc.

Just shows 343 wants you to pretty much get over Bungie Halo, as quick as possible. Look what they've turned Halsey into. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some way to ruin the arbiters character too.

And it all makes no sense. They've been able to do all this in a period of 4 years from the brink of extinction, Earth nearly destroyed, all major colonies including military might Reach destroyed.

Can't wait to see the story of Spartan Assault. Will be interesting to see how Palmer goes from ODST to commander of all Spartans in less than 3-4 years. Training, augmentation etc.

Well, I can also see it from the attitude of "people aren't really going to know what happened", but I think that's a weak excuse. Everyone and their dog knows Chief is a badass so having characters react to that doesn't really become a confusing plot point.

The original meeting with the Infinity crew was IMO poorly written but much better in terms of sentiment. It gave us some marine awe with the Chief, some Lasky bonding, and a bit more in terms of narrative punch.

Also, I really wish they played up more of the awe stuff in the hangar, which is the only place you really get it... considering the captain has basically said to apprehend that crazy Spartan, you can kind of assume everyone's just sitting by because they believe him and are willing to let him go, but it's sort of a lost moment.

One of my biggest peeves from the start. In the original games, most humans just seeing a Spartan became excited, here you have Chief and no one gives a shit basically. Here is a man who saved potentially the galaxy. He eradicated the flood, ended the Prophet-led covenant threat, saved humanity from extinction. And no one gives a shit. You get a small blurb like 'did you say forward unto dawn', 'heh, thought you'd be taller' etc. .

When should the ceremony have happened? Halo 4's story takes place around a few days, (I'd say 3 days.) Furthermore the crew of Infinity has to deal with other stuff. Infinity gets sucked into a unknown planet with hostile inhabitants and the foe everywhere. Why should they pay attention what the Chief did before? First contact scenario. Get out of the area. And at the end, Chief departs from Infinity to hinder the Didact. (Furthermore Del Rio gets suspended for not aiding the Chief at Requiem.)

But why is there no ceremony for the Chief at the end of Halo 4? Why should there be one? The Chief lost the only being, he trusted. His closet friend. An inappropriate moment to honor the Chief's actions. And we did not know when the Epilogue takes place. Directly after? A day after? A week? When?

Omni

When should the ceremony have happened? Halo 4's story takes place around a few days, (I'd say 3 days.) Furthermore the crew of Infinity has to deal with other stuff. Infinity gets sucked into a unknown planet with hostile inhabitants and the foe everywhere. Why should they pay attention what the Chief did before? First contact scenario. Get out of the area. And at the end, Chief departs from Infinity to hinder the Didact. (Furthermore Del Rio gets suspended for not aiding the Chief at Requiem.)
That's all fair enough. A ceremony as such would be inappropriate at the time. However, you'd at least expect that there would be some reaction though... I mean, they just stumbled upon the guy - who was presumed dead - that single-handedly saved humanity and ultimately, the galaxy.

and no one even goes as far to bat an eyelash. Except Lasky. Who delivers a single line and never mentions it again.

But why is there no ceremony for the Chief at the end of Halo 4? Why should there be one?
Because he saved the galaxy from being wiped out by the Halo rings. He also ended the UNSC-Covenant War and stopped the Flood from eating everything. Also stopped the Didact. Pretty obvious that one.
The Chief lost the only being, he trusted. His closet friend. An inappropriate moment to honor the Chief's actions.
Okay, and? How is that relevant? Award ceremonies still happen when people die... and like you said, there is no date on the epilogue. It could have taken place weeks after the end of Halo 4 for all we know.
And we did not know when the Epilogue takes place. Directly after? A day after? A week? When?
Why does that matter anyway? Nothing was stopping 343i from implementing some recognition of his prior actions in there as well as the "being a machine' speech by Lasky (if they were intent on telling us that story).

Imagine this. And I just thought of this then so is a little really, really rough.

Epilogue scene opens. Chief is at an awards ceremony on the Infinity. He walks up to the stage to get medal x and we hear a speech by Lord Hood. Probably something inspirational acknowledging the sacrifices that have been made... blah blah blah (visual flashbacks as he says it. Sure they could put in some Johnson love there too... maybe even Keyes). We see MC get said medal or whatever and then we get a flashback of his final moments with Cortana. Scene cuts back to Chief and he's alone gripping the AI cartridge, staring at Earth. Then Lasky comes and says his speech about soldiers not being machines... blah blah blah.

Even something like that would be decent, IMO. Whatever the case, they had plenty of opportunity to do something... but they didn't. And looking back on it, it all seems underwhelming the way it was handled.

Madness

GTA V has an 8 gig install. Not too bad, and I'm kind of glad that it'll help improve visuals a bit.

Been playing the hell out of Red Dead, I retract what I said. I got used to the controls a bit. Loving the setting now, very beautiful use of landscapes. Can't imagine what Rockstar can achieve next gen.

They should really release a GTA V next gen version with the inevitable pc version.

One thing I don't get, why does the ps3 also require an 8 gig install if it has a 50 gig blu ray versus a 9 gig x360 DVD?

Fuchsdh

GTA V has an 8 gig install. Not too bad, and I'm kind of glad that it'll help improve visuals a bit.

Been playing the hell out of Red Dead, I retract what I said. I got used to the controls a bit. Loving the setting now, very beautiful use of landscapes. Can't imagine what Rockstar can achieve next gen.

They should really release a GTA V next gen version with the inevitable pc version.

One thing I don't get, why does the ps3 also require an 8 gig install if it has a 50 gig blu ray versus a 9 gig x360 DVD?

Blu Rays have really slow read times, especially the early drives in the PS3.

m23

Snagged Borderlands 2. Bulletstorm for $3 is super tempting.

Bulletstorm was a stupid/fun game. I borrowed it off someone for the Gears 3 beta, but I was surprised by the fun I had. $3 is really not that bad. If nothing else interests me during the week I may end up buying it.

FyreWulff

This has always bothered me... why Tuesdays?

I always assumed since .Saturday/Sunday is generally time off, Tuesday gave enough time for trucks/trains/etc to ship out stuff monday morning and get it to stores by that night.

I think MS goes with Tuesday because their company is built around Patch Tuesday from Windows, and it just sort of carried over to the Xbox division. And everyone is still sleeping in on Monday from their Sunday hangover.

Risen

I always assumed since .Saturday/Sunday is generally time off, Tuesday gave enough time for trucks/trains/etc to ship out stuff monday morning and get it to stores by that night.

I think MS goes with Tuesday because their company is built around Patch Tuesday from Windows, and it just sort of carried over to the Xbox division. And everyone is still sleeping in on Monday from their Sunday hangover.

All makes perfect sense from the producer's perspective... as a consumer, I just want what I want when I want it. Tuesday releases suck.

Old habits die hard. As far as music goes, the short answer is Billboard charts. They're released on Wednesday, so a Tuesday music release gives a full week of sales before it gets rated. And like Fyrewulff said, distribution also plays a big factor. I used to work for a music distributor back when it was actually relevant, and we would ship orders out on Thursday for a Tuesday release.

Shadders

I paid full price for Bulletstorm and regretted it, because it's pretty shallow and the over-the-top nature was pretty grating, I reckon if I'd only paid £3 for it my opinions would be wholly different. Great price.

I paid full price for Bulletstorm and regretted it, because it's pretty shallow and the over-the-top nature was pretty grating, I reckon if I'd only paid £3 for it my opinions would be wholly different. Great price.
I agree with this sentiment, paid £25 for it and it's not worth the money, but at these prices you can't complain really

no bullets hans

Neo Member
Well, I can also see it from the attitude of "people aren't really going to know what happened", but I think that's a weak excuse. Everyone and their dog knows Chief is a badass so having characters react to that doesn't really become a confusing plot point.

This is how I always interpreted it. Even in the Bungie games, most of the NPCs just call Chief "a Spartan." They don't know who he is or that he's even "the" Spartan. You have to figure (if you're going to do so realistically) that most of those guys are probably no longer active (if they're even alive because lets face it...all those games are super destructive if you're not a fully armored super bad ass). The Infinity is an exploration vessel, not a war ship, so you wouldn't have it staffed with war veterans who'd fought the Covenant w/ Master Chief. It's probably filled with young people who joined up after the war was over who wouldn't have known about the insurrectionists and the reason the Spartans were made anyway.

I guess all I'm saying is that there's no reason to assume people "back home" would know about Master Chief or all the things he did during the Halo games, so there's no reason to expect them to react a certain way when he shows up on Requiem, 4 years later.

This is how I always interpreted it. Even in the Bungie games, most of the NPCs just call Chief "a Spartan." They don't know who he is or that he's even "the" Spartan. You have to figure (if you're going to do so realistically) that most of those guys are probably no longer active (if they're even alive because lets face it...all those games are super destructive if you're not a fully armored super bad ass). The Infinity is an exploration vessel, not a war ship, so you wouldn't have it staffed with war veterans who'd fought the Covenant w/ Master Chief. It's probably filled with young people who joined up after the war was over who wouldn't have known about the insurrectionists and the reason the Spartans were made anyway.

I guess all I'm saying is that there's no reason to assume people "back home" would know about Master Chief or all the things he did during the Halo games, so there's no reason to expect them to react a certain way when he shows up on Requiem, 4 years later.

Kinda sad the Spartan IV recuits dont know about the previous spartans even consider them as a Myth

Even when they make good decisions like bringing Bravo and Quinn into the multiplayer fold, it's marred by the fact that they have to play cleanup from some extremely poor initial design decisions.

Oh, well. Here's to hoping Halo 5 is absolutely nothing like how 4 started out.

Even when they make good decisions like bringing Bravo and Quinn into the multiplayer fold, it's marred by the fact that they have to play cleanup from some extremely poor initial design decisions.

Oh, well. Here's to hoping Halo 5 is absolutely nothing like how 4 started out.

See I dont know about that. Why aren't Bravo and Quinn making enough noise to say HEY WERE JUST NOT GOING TO PUT REGICIDE INTO BTB SKIRMISH.

Isn't Bravo the playlist manager?

Its fucking crazy these decisions arent being shit on the instant they are uttered. How can a bad decision go so far?

Is Bravo the playlist manager? I thought Kevin Franklin was still the Grand Poobah, but I honestly don't know. There's still a lot to be desired from the multiplayer team, but it's clear that they've made big strides to make the game play better. I can't fathom why 343 can't seem to get objective playlists right, though.

Tawpgun

Bulletstorm was some of the most shooter fun I've ever had. Great ride. Hilarious.

If anyone wants to play the coop mode lemme know.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is Bravo the playlist manager? I thought Kevin Franklin was still the Grand Poobah, but I honestly don't know. There's still a lot to be desired from the multiplayer team, but it's clear that they've made big strides to make the game play better. I can't fathom why 343 can't seem to get objective playlists right, though.

Somebody somewhere dropped the
flag
ball.

It's actually a group of people - Kevin and Quinn Del Hoyo work with Bravo on feedback and implementation loops and there are other folks working on the tools.

I believe it was a retail tradition of sorts with its roots in shipping distances and weekends and so on (and there are theories it also had to do with record industry music reviews, as well as stores cleaning on Mondays and doing sales on Tuesdays). I might be wrong, but it's definitely when a lot of systems are set up to accept new stock etc.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-dvd-movies-come-out-tuesday-6150284.html

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Bulletstorm is a lot of fun, everyone should buy it for 5.00. Plus the online passes are free for EA games now. No excuse not to.

Why would you need an online pass when it's 5 bucks on the Xbox Marketplace? :p

Starting the Campaign. Even though I'm playing on widescreen mode, there's still letterboxing. D:

Top Bottom