• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Not sure if FW800 is a good enough connector. Best I've seen for real-world speeds is 90-100MB/s, but I defer to you in these matters, yea or nay-- FW800 SSD w/ 16MB cache--good enough for lossless HD?

FW800 is about 3-5% slower than USB3 but thunderbolt is faster than them both. Firewire has a clean sustainable data transfer though so as long as you capture direct from the source you should be able to achieve lossless HD e.g. no hubs or off tape. Try DV-AVI, technically not lossless but visually will provide the results of lossless and allow greater storage due to smaller file sizes.

Not sure if FW800 is a good enough connector. Best I've seen for real-world speeds is 90-100MB/s, but I defer to you in these matters, yea or nay-- FW800 SSD w/ 16MB cache--good enough for lossless HD?
I capture to a SATAIII 7200rpm for most everything. Captures lossless with no frame drops. The 6gbps bandwidth is the key.

Fuchsdh

FW800 is about 3-5% slower than USB3 but thunderbolt is faster than them both. Firewire has a clean sustainable data transfer though so as long as you capture direct from the source you should be able to achieve lossless HD e.g. no hubs or off tape. Try DV-AVI, technically not lossless but visually will provide the results of lossless and allow greater storage due to smaller file sizes.

That's my problem, I'm stuck with 422 or 442 lossless via Blackmagic.

Going to reinstall Final Cut and see if I can export a smaller production codec to my current FW7200 hard drives and save myself some coin thataway. We'll see by tomorrow.

I capture to a SATAIII 7200rpm for most everything. Captures lossless with no frame drops. The 6gbps bandwidth is the key.

Yeah that was the other thing I was thinking of, I've got SATA on several of my HDDs, problem is there's no good SATA option for the mac mini (I've got a SATA card on my tower.) This is what happens when people buy you gifts--it's never *exactly* what you're looking for...

Madness

Halo 2 was most played for me (multiplayer wise), Halo CE perhaps the most I've ever played campaign and 2-4 player splitscreen/LAN.

On a related note, reading some tweets to bsangel, seems like she acknowledges a lot of mistakes were made, they're still learning etc. Do you think they'll take it to heart? For me, it's not so much the 'post launch' support as opposed to making sure the game is solid at launch. Launch night, day, week, and month is the most important.

Seance

Banned
I played more Reach than any video game in my life. I... I'm not sure what that means but I think it means something. It might mean nothing.

But it might mean something.

Or nothing.

tittiesprinkles

It means you ought to feel a deep and burning shame each and every day of your life for wasting your life on such an atrocious Halo.

Halo 2 was most played for me (multiplayer wise), Halo CE perhaps the most I've ever played campaign and 2-4 player splitscreen/LAN.

On a related note, reading some tweets to bsangel, seems like she acknowledges a lot of mistakes were made, they're still learning etc. Do you think they'll take it to heart? For me, it's not so much the 'post launch' support as opposed to making sure the game is solid at launch. Launch night, day, week, and month is the most important.

This reminds me, I was reading those tweets and someone told her the problem was Halo 4 was built with too much of a competitive focus and not enough of a casual focus. I lol'd.

I probably spent my most time in a Halo game on Halo 3. Competitive could go either way between 3 and Reach, but I played so many custom games in 3. 16 player custom infection = so gud. Omega Journey = absolutely amazing.

If anyone here ever played Omega Journey, you know those feels when you know you can't knock down the cement block in time but keep trying just in case. Such great memories.

pete1zbxbo.gif

I probably spent my most time in a Halo game on Halo 3. Competitive could go either way between 3 and Reach, but I played so many custom games in 3. 16 player custom infection = so gud. Omega Journey = absolutely amazing.

If anyone here ever played Omega Journey, you know those feels when you know you can't knock down the cement block in time but keep trying just in case. Such great memories.

pete1zbxbo.gif

Shit man.. I wish Halo figured out its Custom Games issue because I missed a lot of great gametypes in Halo 3, probably the same for Reach.

I just had no incentive to set up Custom Games after doing it for 3 years in Halo 2. The impact this has had on Halo is greatly understated IMO and to see MM be pretty much the exact same structure as it was since 2004 is incredibly disappointing.

Shit man.. I wish Halo figured out its Custom Games issue because I missed a lot of great gametypes in Halo 3, probably the same for Reach.

I just had no incentive to set up Custom Games after doing it for 3 years in Halo 2. The impact this has had on Halo is greatly understated IMO and to see MM be pretty much the exact same structure as it was since 2004 is incredibly disappointing.

I've been saying this since Halo 2 and it really would be the perfect setup and I don't know why Bungie/343 never/hasn't done it. Matchmaking for ranked multiplayer and server browsers for custom games/social games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've definitely played Reach the most. Halo 3 is a pretty distant second, but only because I wasn't into gaming for most of its heyday.

pete1zbxbo.gif

THAT FUCKING MAP.

so many
good
memories.

It's why I've missed out on so many custom games in Reach and 4. Only a few of my friends still play Halo and they don't really custom game. Except for Gaf, I suppose. It is really disappointing that they haven't created some type of search function or something, I agree.

THAT FUCKING MAP.

so many
good
memories.

It was just so fantastic. The other day when Gaf had a Halo 3 customs night I wanted to get on just in the hopes of convincing everyone to play it at least once. I ended up having a date night with my gf instead and while I had fun, IT WASN'T OMEGA JOURNEY.

Hopefully gaf can get together sometime and play it. It's worth booting up the game just for that, IMO. So good.

Fuchsdh

It's why I've missed out on so many custom games in Reach and 4. Only a few of my friends still play Halo and they don't really custom game. Except for Gaf, I suppose. It is really disappointing that they haven't created some type of search function or something, I agree.

It was just so fantastic. The other day when Gaf had a Halo 3 customs night I wanted to get on just in the hopes of convincing everyone to play it at least once. I ended up having a date night with my gf instead and while I had fun, IT WASN'T OMEGA JOURNEY.

Hopefully gaf can get together sometime and play it. It's worth booting up the game just for that, IMO. So good.

Is love to do another custom games night for 3. I've only played mini games in 3 once at a LAN. The customs group i play with at HBO does 4 and Reach alternating only.

Fuchsdh

Just play LOL bro. I thought it was nerdy and dumb as hell too but its pretty fun once you get into it.
I can barely keep up with DoTA and I've played that off and on since 2003. Trying to learn new heroes is simply too much of a hassle a this point, although I've heard grand arguments about which is "better".

It's happened. Halo 4 is dead.
I still plan on getting the Goty edition.
Sad to see Halo being that low so fast...
It feels like all other games are outshining it.

Not only that. The game isn't as "Competitive" as previous halo games generated before. Neglecting this just shows what's happening now. 343 KNEW they were doing this from the very start. Why? Why would they just throw it all away like that? Who does that? It's illogical.

Halo 5 Believe

no FOTUS for the masses though haha get shit on

i paid several hundred dollars too much for halo 4 RIP me
After the Reach Legendary edition, I made the decision to never buy anything other than the actual game from a publisher. The book was cool, but not worth the extra money for my tastes. The statue is still in the box in my garage (sorry, GUI), so definitely not worth the extra money. The fact that I accidentally got it on release night for the standard $60 price is beside the point; I was completely ready to spend the money.

Game-themed xbox? Nope, not unless the previous one breaks.

Anyone from 343i:

When you are done fooling around in denial, let me know.

It makes me laugh in real life if you think anyone from 343 would actually hire you.

But gatdamn at those numbers. Say the reasons you will why Halo 4 failed, no focus on competitive, no ranks, shitty maps, shitty sprint, shitty game types (with a few exceptions), it all boils down to the fact that this game is not fun. And it feels like a chore to play it to even the most devoted Halo fan, so why the fuck would a causal keep playing it.

It makes me laugh in real life if you think anyone from 343 would actually hire you.

Hey, Juices totally commented on a Gamasutra article once.

But gatdamn at those numbers. Say the reasons you will why Halo 4 failed, no focus on competitive, no ranks, shitty maps, shitty sprint, shitty game types (with a few exceptions), it all boils down to the fact that this game is not fun. And it feels like a chore to play it to even the most devoted Halo fan, so why the fuck would a causal keep playing it.

Yeah, I feel like Halo 4 is lost in the middle. It's too casual to appeal to people who want a competitive challenge, but it's not casual enough to compete with Call of Duty for your average dudebro.

Edit: yay top of page

I dont think they will. I think they should.

Gui_PT

I remember seeing they made a KOTH playlist and thinking "let's give it a go, I remember having tons of fun in Halo 3 KOTH"

Join in, get a match in the Pit and think it's going to be great

As soon as the match starts... Jetpack, camo, thruster whateverit'scalled

I had to quit. It's just too annoying and random and frustrating and wgodjÇDGKLJfgdfgdfsdGSDGFGDFG

Ok I'm calm now

So now I'm playing Mass Effect again

DeadNames

Banned
Was that Destiny video multiplayer? If so, I really can't see myself playing it. It just looks like (bar Halo 4) CoD in space and armor abilities. The oversaturation of ADS and sprint this gen has just turned me off from Destiny completely.

Was that Destiny video multiplayer? If so, I really can't see myself playing it. It just looks like (bar Halo 4) CoD in space and armor abilities. The oversaturation of ADS and sprint this gen has just turned me off from Destiny completely.

It was co-op.

We still haven't seen PvP multiplayer

Top Bottom