• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Finally. Been loving Halo 3 lately so any population boost will be appreciated. Will 343 be the amazing, we'll-love-and-care-for-all-the-Halo-games-like-they're-our-own company they promised they would when they told us they were just getting started? A playlist consolidation is now or never for Halo 3.
I think you're being way too optimistic.

Nebula

Finally. Been loving Halo 3 lately so any population boost will be appreciated. Will 343 be the amazing, we'll-love-and-care-for-all-the-Halo-games-like-they're-our-own company they promised they would when they told us they were just getting started? A playlist consolidation is now or never for Halo 3.

I'd love to see DLC go free or have a significant price reduction for at least a week to go alongside making Halo 3 free. Something like 75% reduction perhaps.

But yeah, I'm not expecting much, if anything, alongside Halo 3 being made free.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of 343 being good stewards to older Halo games feels like a joke now.

Halo 4 was that "Do or Die" game in my eyes. Reach was the huge knockback that the franchise needed to recover from. Halo 4 set it back even further. Recovery at this point would be a miracle.

It's most likely going to sell well though, which is all that seems to matter when it comes to Halo.

I would agree with you if Bungie made Halo 4, but 343 being a new developer wiith their own mistakes to make is why I think they should, just this once, be given the benefit of the doubt.

But if in the next Halo we still don't have some of the obvious fixed, then they don't deserve to be in charge of Halo. Bungie lost that right with Reach, despite it also being their last Halo game.

FyreWulff

MS policy doesn't let free DLC get you achievements, with very few exceptions (or the free content is gated behind Gold)

Best one can hope for at this point is everything becomes the price Legendary is now, 2$.

MS policy doesn't let free DLC get you achievements, with very few exceptions (or the free content is gated behind Gold)

Best one can hope for at this point is everything becomes the price Legendary is now, 2$.

Horrible policy thankfully with the way achievements are next gen (ability to update at a whim) it shouldnt be an issue.

FyreWulff

Horrible policy thankfully with the way achievements are next gen (ability to update at a whim) it shouldnt be an issue.

As an aside that shit was always possible, and MS should have allowed it before. The only thing that prevents it from occurring on the 360 is policy. Not anything technical.

It was always silly that games had a finite amount of achievements they could have. Steam-style achievements that can just be added and don't have to be rationed out of an imaginary points pool are much more forward-thinking and flexible.

I'm still waiting for the catch with the One post-ship achievements adding.

I think you're being way too optimistic.

I think you're right

The idea of 343 being good stewards to older Halo games feels like a joke now.

It does now, yes. They obviously thought they were capable of it at the time. I remember being very impressed at their stated intention to maintain older titles and it was obviously over-reaching in retrospect. Fyrewulf rubbished it on sight, him of little faith. He was right though!

Nebula

So I went on Bnet on an old second account just to check out some stats and I apparently have a bunch of Halo 2 games (around 3k) around 2006. The account isn't even older than Halo 3 though. Guess my data got merged with someone else when I changed my gamertag?

So many Rumble Pit games as well. Like all this person played.

Ghazi

I came into the stream kinda late, what do you mean left Halo?

Well, I joined a little late as well, but he and the others (Richie Heinz, Enable, etc.) came to the final conclusion that Halo is completely dad for now and Enable said he's going to CoD or something like that.

I'm still a little confused from it as well, so take my perceptions of it with a grain of salt.

belushy

Banned
Not surprised. I think maybe 9 pros actually made plans to go to the next AGL tournament. Doubt it will be more than that, if that at all, for the next AGL.

Not just that but 343/Virgin/M$ not announcing a new tournament really shows these Halo pros it isn't worth it anymore.

Maybe Halo 5....

He used to be super 1337 mlg pro skillz, then he became washed up and is now a fucking funny broadcaster for Halo (apparently used to be) and CoD now.

Well, I joined a little late as well, but he and the others (Richie Heinz, Enable, etc.) came to the final conclusion that Halo is completely dad for now and Enable said he's going to CoD or something like that.

I'm still a little confused from it as well, so take my perceptions of it with a grain of salt.
I took it as they just gave up on Halo 4, not Halo itself....

DeadNames

Banned
wow cod so skill amazing how do they get kwad feeds idk ppl just seem to walk into da gun lol

CoD is more or less on it's gradual decline. CoD ghosts looks boring, uninspired and the multiplayer looks even more frustrating due to bullshit like leaning out of corners. As if Black Ops 2 map design wasn't bad enough with all the headglitching...

Ghazi

https://twitter.com/Scandhi
Not surprised. I think maybe 9 pros actually made plans to go to the next AGL tournament. Doubt it will be more than that, if that at all, for the next AGL.

Not just that but 343/Virgin/M$ not announcing a new tournament really shows these Halo pros it isn't worth it anymore.

Maybe Halo 5....
Yeah, it sucks. Some of these guys haven't been paid yet from that Virgin tournament either
I took it as they just gave up on Halo 4, not Halo itself....
I could see that.

https://twitter.com/Scandhi

Yeah, it sucks. Some of these guys haven't been paid yet from that Virgin tournament either

I could see that.

They way it seemed like to me, is that they had hope in Halo 5, which is where I'm at too.

Halo 5, at the very least will be better than Reach, with the 60 fps, dedis, spec mode and likely ranking system, it could have the same gameplay as Halo 4, and it would last twice as long as Halo 4 at the very least. The main problem of Halo 4 was that there was nothing to play for after you hit SR-130, which people did in a month, mixed with the fact that the gameplay was not fun, is what killed it. Quinn, Bravo, and Josh Menke will save Halo.

I'm not Team SLRP, i'm just being realistic.

Booshka

Ghandi should hand deliver a 12 pack of Charmin toilet paper to 343i. Tell them all to get shit on like only he could do it.

gAg CruSh3r

RIP Halo.

mFFVIRp.gif

Not yet.

Just looking at what they've changed in Matchmaking since release gives me hope for Halo 5. They took out random global ordnance while adding on-map weapons, reduced the frequency of Infinity in all relevant playlists, released more arena-sized maps, added an actually different gametype (Ricochet), and took out all but one single-objective playlist, implemented 4-shot BR (but 150% SAW is absurd). If they keep going in that direction, I think it actually might be okay.

But they also have recently done dumb things like make Legendary AR's and Beam Rifle slayer (and buff the SAW in Turbo, wat), so I'm not Ozzy-ptimistic, just sort of hopeful.

Just looking at what they've changed in Matchmaking since release gives me hope for Halo 5. They took out random global ordnance while adding on-map weapons, reduced the frequency of Infinity in all relevant playlists, released more arena-sized maps, added an actually different gametype (Ricochet), and took out all but one single-objective playlist, implemented 4-shot BR (but 150% SAW is absurd). If they keep going in that direction, I think it actually might be okay.

But they also have recently done dumb things like make Legendary AR's and Beam Rifle slayer (and buff the SAW in Turbo, wat), so I'm not Ozzy-ptimistic, just sort of hopeful.

Someone get Wahrer and add this to the official unofficial HaloGAF dictionary.

Fuchsdh

We have a dictionary?

I take it "Get Fuchsdh" is in there?

The proper spelling is clearly "fuchdhdhdhdhdh".

What capture systems do people here have? I've got a Blackmagic, but the damn thing doesn't come with any compressed codecs with their default software so I can't capture lossless HD without dropping frames left and right. Damn things worthless except for analog conversions right now. Urgh.

What capture systems do people here have? I've got a Blackmagic, but the damn thing doesn't come with any compressed codecs with their default software so I can't capture lossless HD without dropping frames left and right. Damn things worthless except for analog conversions right now. Urgh.

Blackmagic Media Express? Should have a choice in the settings Capture File Format AVI Motion JPEG. That is compressed video right there.

If you cant capture quick enough you either don't have a fast enough harddrive, a working hard drive, or your system is incompatible.

Do you have internal or shuffle? I think the shuffle needs a certain chipset or may have issues.

FyreWulff

You need a beefy system to use a Blackmagic. That's just how it rolls.

If you want to avoid the host machine problem, you have to get something external.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leRMTFyp47c

Capture this with the Blackmagic Pro. and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YuJGXsRe0 with ptbi running on top.

edit: and as juices pointed out, the avi motion jpg is what you want. the other option needs a really fast hard drive

Do you have internal or shuffle? I think the shuffle needs a certain chipset or may have issues.

I got a Shuttle first. The BM Shuttle is a good way to make one hate USB3. It might be a standard, but when you need a specific freaking motherboard family with a specific damn chipset, you can tell USB3 is still not matured.

Had to return it because all I got was a black screen and Thunderbolt capable motherboards are $TEXAS$ because Intel refuses to let any of them not be display-capable (and their USB3 support is crap because they want everyone to adopt Thunderbolt). Thought I had the right chipset and turned out it was a slightly different version number that wasn't compatible.

Ryaaan14

Banned
People are still busy talking about quitting Halo instead of moving on with their lives. lawl

Still waiting on Halo 3 PC or Halo 5 nuggets.

Mabef

Banned

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR around somewhere. I had to get some skeevy software to get it to run on my mac, but it works fine for capturing. Never used it for streaming.

The Destiny symbol looks like a tampon logo to me, for whatever reason.

You can test your hard drive speed with a billion programs. Like this one: http://thesz.diecru.eu/content/parkdale.php

You can also download VirtualDub. A great free recording/capturing +MORE program. Its scary and a ton more complicated but its incredibly more versatile and powerful. Especially if you are INSANE and truly want to capture uncompressed video (You better have a really fast really large Hard Drive and CPU) A few seconds will be like 10GB and the files will look INCREDIBLE. It comes with a few more codecs too for compression and you can set all the options you can ever dream of. I think it may have a hard drive test program within too but I couldn't find it, haven't used it lately cause BME is working fine for me ATM.

Blackmagics are very finnicky though. I still cant get my passive HDMI throughput to work (I did once, I think its something with it ending the signal too soon or signal timing) so I have to split from my Xbox to my PC + Monitor instead of Running the Xbox to my computer then out my computer to my Monitor. Also there seems to be some timing issues with sound and video coming apart after long periods of streaming, although they've said they have fixed those issues with updates. So I say this as a shot in the dark, most people know this but dont use the disc the hardware came with. Download the newest support drivers from the website.

Ptbi is great too and will let you use your computer + monitor to play Xbox and you can use post processing effects like Anti-Aliasing while playing your games with very little input lag.

Combine PTBI with a Xim Edge keyboard.mouse piece and you can turn Xbox into a completely PC experience. Although the adjusting and setting time may kill you from stress and wear.

Live Gamer Portable, with the limited use I've given it so far it's damned near perfect capture in full 1080p, 60fps and no frames dropped. Elegant and simple is what I wanted. I had already grown to love AverMedia products from past experience anyhow.

Forgoing USB3, and having to have a laptop to do captures around, I simply purchased a fast write 64Gb SD card that inserts into the LGP as that's enough to capture my snippets/games. It also means the "portable" title and use remains intact without the need for a laptop or PC at all. I'm taken back at how well this thing captures. Just hit the big ol' button to start then hit it again to stop. BAM. I'm yet to give the streaming a go but it's just a button press away direct to TwitchTV. Of course if you want to plug it in to a PC via USB that option is there too.

I got a Shuttle first. The BM Shuttle is a good way to make one hate USB3. It might be a standard, but when you need a specific freaking motherboard family with a specific damn chipset, you can tell USB3 is still not matured.

Had to return it because all I got was a black screen and Thunderbolt capable motherboards are $TEXAS$ because Intel refuses to let any of them not be display-capable (and their USB3 support is crap because they want everyone to adopt Thunderbolt). Thought I had the right chipset and turned out it was a slightly different version number that wasn't compatible.

I've got a shuttle, works great. The issue was mobo and card manufacturers making stuff that's compliant with the protocols and whatnot, but not necessarily hardware that meets the max "standards" of the protocol, in this case, bandwidth (lol not enough bandwidth lol). So for the shuttle, you needed a mobo/card that supported the full speed specs of USB3 on the local bus, at least 5 Gbps (preferably 6) dedicated.

Most modern mobos are fine with this now, but a couple years back (or if your hardware is of similar age), you had to pay attention to what you bought to be sure.

Fuck it, this is technically HaloGAF-relevant. I made an emblem for our GTAO crew:

03e9ee4226233867882f80bcc862056e31320f51_512.png

It features zero bloom, X's on death and OG teams. Wahurrurur does what 343 indon'tstries

PNut

Banned
Oh no not ghandi!

He quit playing a long time ago. Dude is a good caster. He should stick to COD full time though if he wants work.

Like i've said before Halo's going down like the Titanic. Most have jumped ship already and moved on. I just can't play any other video games and have fun. It's Halo or nothing. So I just play whatever Halo game my last remaining Halo friends are playing when I sign on. Sometimes it's Reach, on occasion Halo 3, but mostly Halo 4.

I'm going down with the Halo ship and my few remaining friends that still play it. Games like DOTA and LoL are too nerdy and Asian kids run it. COD is a poor mans FPS and popular with the fat, mouth breeding causal American type and prepubescent teens. The people you see wearing sport's team jerseys in public play COD. Casuals that want easy gameplay.

Destiny won't be much different either.

Halo had a good run.

RIP

Madness

Eh, Halo 3 going to be free soon. Should be nice to get a final few games in with the population bump before next gen comes.

Top Bottom