• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

TheOddOne

Halo will likely never regain its multiplayer prowess it once had, because there are too many great games out there to just to stay with one – and they do a much better job trying retain their audience. People will buy the next Halo though, but even less people will stay for the long haul. Which means DLC maps will show up less, because the population is so minuscule. Which in turn leads to the game not fully supported, because why cater to such a small base. “Doing it for the fans” will not be some excuse that will be used in the future when profits are declining.

Halo is dad.

Halo will likely never regain its multiplayer prowess it once had, because there are too many great games out there to just to stay with one – and they do a much better job trying retain their audience. People will buy the next Halo though, but even less people will stay for the long haul. Which means DLC maps will show up less, because the population is so minuscule. Which in turn leads to the game not fully supported, because why cater to such a small base. “Doing it for the fans” will not be some excuse that will be used in the future when profits are declining.

Halo is dad.

This isn't a fair post. People are ready for a dominant Halo again, 343 just has to take the proper steps to ensure maximum success potential by making map packs free and charging for other DLC.

If you want your community to grow and continue playing your game for an extended period of time, these decisions need to be made from the top down. It has to be part of the culture at 343; Halo's keyholders need to step their shit up and get over nickle and diming fans.

Also, transparency. There are many ways to bring Halo back to the top with the unlimited potential of next gen tech.

heckfu

Banned
Jeeeeeesus that CoD clan video. That is something we all wanted before Halo 4 AND they did the mobile support correctly (IMO) in making it not necessary but something just adds to the experience.

belushy

Banned
Speaking of barns, when did the Halo 4 leak happen again? Was it before or after that GameInformer leak? Just trying to found out when there are chances new leaks for H5 could start up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Speaking of barns, when did the Halo 4 leak happen again? Was it before or after that GameInformer leak? Just trying to found out when there are chances new leaks for H5 could start up.

First official screens/info - March 2012
Game Informer - April 2012
Barn vid - May 2012

An internal beta was going around then in the spring/summer of 2012 also, if I remember right.

Halo is dad.

The worst thing about this is Halo 3 was doing everything Call of Duty is just now doing in 2007. It was the most played game on Xbox Live for two years, there was no reason to fix anything because it wasn't broken. If they had just kept the classic Halo formula instead of changing things so much with Reach, Halo would still probably be in the same position it was 3 years or at least close to it. 343 looked at Reach and the fact it wasn't as successful as Halo 3, and said, it must because because it's not enough like Call of Duty. The real problem was Halo wasn't like Halo anymore. The damage Reach and to a greater extent 4 have done to the series is probably pretty significant, because many of the kids/people on Xbox Live weren't around for Halo 2 or even Halo 3. They don't know what a good Halo game is, their only memories of Halo are playing a watered-down Halo(Reach) and a Call of Duty game with a Halo skin(Halo 4).

Tawpgun

One of my friends had a Wu Tang related GT and once we matched against some guys with Wu Tang related GTs. So during the match we all gathered in a circle and just starting singing Wu Tang instead of killing each other. It was incredible.

I was heavily involved in the machinima community in Halo 2. RIP online weapon lowering.

But we would go into matchmaking and go up to people with lowered weapons and just talk lol.

Sofa King

Just a thought, but why not make Halo 5 a 70 dollar game that includes all DLC maps to be released in the future? Add in silly weapons skins/ Spartan skins that can be purchased with real money to get lost revenue from DLC (which can't be that much with the populations of the DLC playlists when they were released). Hell, flaming helmets would sell for 5-10 bucks on their own, and they would move a lot more units than The Pit did. Give us a Sgt Johnson head to purchase and it would probably do the same.

DLC would be accessible to all, and wouldn't cause the grief it does now. People who like the franchise would be happy because they don't have to justify the DLC purchase/Season pass because of fear that they will never get to play with what they paid for. You would be likely to keep the casuals keeping their games longer knowing that more free content is on the way.

Thoughts?

Absolutely man. He really nailed the experience completely, all the way from ranks to meeting people and just shooting the shit.

Yes, yes, and a 100 times yes! No party chat, smack talking with out people being bitch about it, BTB, glitches, and much more!

I guess I understand why the praise for a new Halo with Halo 2 settings, I joined Halo 2 MM pretty late so missed a big part of the experience.

I see it every week, and every week it's the same response here. Halo 4 is dropping, which sucks for Halo but should we be this surprised about it every single week? :p

Nobody is surprised, I think it's just a frustrating/disappointing reminder for many of us of how much our favorite franchise has fallen.

Computer

My predictions for Halo 5. They are going to split Halo into 2 types of games. One side of it will be the old school Halo with no sprint and small arena maps. The other side will be Halo meets Battlefield with all ordnance drops and sprint you know and love. This could work to please everyone.

My predictions for Halo 5. They are going to split Halo into 2 types of games. One side of it will be the old school Halo with no sprint and small arena maps. The other side will be Halo meets Battlefield with all ordnance drops and sprint you know and love. This could work to please everyone.

Been sifting through pastebin?

Computer

I don't think you could get that in a single game without compromising both halves though.

If they did it would be the only shooter ever to have the best of both worlds. Halo 5 has to go big. MS is going to throw money at this game like none other. They want this game to push the Xbox One. I think MS would sell a shit load more consoles right now if 343 randomly dropped a Halo bomb on everyone before November 22. Something like a Starry Night trailer and all this Halo is dead stuff would get hit by a hype train.

ded frandchize

Hyperbole comes into focus. Multiplayer population issues sure, campaign relatability issues without scoring/theatre sure thing but the entire franchise? Fuck off with that mate.

FuD, books, tv series, global champs, comics, figures, merchandise, community art blah blah. Franchise is alive and well. FFS.

I'll take this "dead" franchise profit and wipe my ass with hundred dollar greenbacks thanks.

I think you guys are wrong about fans not coming back to Halo. The hype will come back.

Agreed, good games draw players, crowds etc. have we forgotten GC so quickly. Have we forgotten 60fps, dedis blah blah.

Sucks no 3 playlist updates though.

Hyperbole comes into focus. Multiplayer population issues sure, campaign relatability issues without scoring/theatre sure thing but the entire franchise? Fuck off with that mate.

FuD, books, tv series, global champs, comics, figures, merchandise, community art blah blah. Franchise is alive and well. FFS.

Agreed, good games draw players, crowds etc. have we forgotten GC so quickly. Have we forgotten 60fps, dedis blah blah.

Sucks no 3 playlist updates though.

Just go ahead and apply already...

http://www.microsoft-careers.com/go/343-Industries/190537/

Ozzy the GC drawing viewers had nothing to do with Halo.

With that much money on the line for anything 1v1 there would have been tension and viewers. Even watching people play Rock Paper Scissors would have gotten a ton of viewers.

What bad Halo 3 news? Matchmaking being shutdown? PC port confirmed that will never happen?

No Steam release and the Halo 3 XBL servers are going to get taken down a week or two before Christmas due to some bandwidth issues that they haven't gone into detail about.

Madness

Have you not seen my posts about this already? Founded family company and not going into gaming industry even though I would love it.

Funny I distinctly remember pros coming out of woodwork, imagine if GC was team based next time, gasp!

Next time, you won't even have a fraction of the sales for XbOne that you had for Xbox 360. Don't know if you realize but even longtime Xbox and Halo fans are going PS4 only.

So Halo 5 not only has that working against it, but the fact Destiny will be out by then too. I liked what they did with GC, but it was more along the lines of what Halo COULD be, instead of what it actually was.

Plus, when you have a live stream on the dashboard, call it World Championships, I'd watch. Doesn't correlate to players.

I see it every week, and every week it's the same response here. Halo 4 is dropping, which sucks for Halo but should we be this surprised about it every single week? :p

What's not surprising is how you've spun Halo 4's position every time either. Even before I joined, I'd be lurking and read how Halo 4 is still the #2 shooter, how it's only #3 because of kids in Minecraft spending hours and hours, how it's #4 because Soccer is globally loved, etc.

Halo 4 is #13 not even a year from launch and with a new GotY edition out. Ahead of it are multiple shooters, some nearly 2-3 years old, a GTA game nearly 5+ years old, some shitty free rpg. What will you say when probably within the next few weeks, as it nears the 1 year launch mark, it's beaten by fucking Skyrim and even possibly Modern warfare 2, a game nearly 4 years old.

CyReN

400 people playing Halo 3 MLG. 117 people playing Team Throwdown.

GG.

Well that's a given since everyone is switching in the competitive community. This post sums it up nicely.

343 knows what we want from Halo at this point. We've spent a year telling them.

By jumping back to Halo 3 we're sending a stronger message to the developers than any forum posts could- that we simply will not play their game if they don't make Halo what we want it to be. Jumping back to Halo 3 also doesn't mean we're cutting ties with 343- it just means we don't like their game.

Ghost put in countless sometimes thankless hours into this game, and because of it we got about a year of competition out of Halo 4. That is honestly an outstanding achievement considering how awful the game is. Unfortunately, its pretty clear that everything we can do to make the game more competitive has been done. NS isn't coming. Descope, flag juggling, no glitched KOTH, etc isn't coming. I think the entire community has more or less agreed that its time to jump ship and play a Halo game we'll enjoy. It's not a reflection of dissatisfaction with v5, its a combination of dealing with over a year of a terrible game, no more big tournaments happening, and Halo 3 becoming free being a real option to push an old Halo game ahead of H4 in population.

If that doesn't send a message to 343 and Microsoft that the new direction of Halo is a failure than nothing will. And sending that message and hopefully securing the future direction of the next Halo games is FAR more important than continuing to attempt to support a game that's on its last breaths.

I don't think you could get that in a single game without compromising both halves though.

Well in the past they were compromised anyway. Every game you have some sort of mechanism to nerf the utility weapon at long range so it'll work in Big Team, making it more awkward for close quarters. Spread, bloom, and flinch are all trying to avoid turning Big Team into Big Team Snipers (anyone that can see you can kill you easily), but add irritating effects to Arena style gameplay. I'd much rather have them balanced separately, with most if not all armor abilities and perks confined to the "Battlefield: Call of Halo" side of the game with a more focused arena experience elsewhere.

IHaveIce

Banned
There are people who don't have Ozzy on their ignore list?

But thanks for those Halo 2 links... I can't even describe how I miss these days.

But also Halo CE days, we were 4 guys, everyone had their Xbox and their Halo copy, we just played 2v2s whole nights. Or invited more friends and made super splitscreen parties.

But Halo 2 changed everything, yeah the gameplay was for some people worse, for me it wasn't. And online was just the best thing I could imagine back then, friends of me that weren't really big on the Xbox( because well here in Germany the OG Xbox didn't run that well) were so surprised when they played the first time at my place or at the others. Most got a Xbox too later on or bought a 360. We then were a big group of people for Halo 2 customs and Halo 3 customs.

It was fantastic, the only bad thing of this era was that I lost my gamertag or it got stolen. I can type it in wherever I want it doesn't find anything about it. No Bungie data or Xbox data. :(

stef t97

What really annoys me about the competitive scene is that they never commit to completely boycotting an entry to the series. Look at the CoD scene on PC, the competitive community as a whole (mostly) has made a decision to stay with CoD4 Promod while giving new entries a chance on launch. Meanwhile on every Halo launch the community has tried to make something of the new game than staying with what worked.

TheOddOne

This isn't a fair post. People are ready for a dominant Halo again, 343 just has to take the proper steps to ensure maximum success potential by making map packs free and charging for other DLC.

If you want your community to grow and continue playing your game for an extended period of time, these decisions need to be made from the top down. It has to be part of the culture at 343; Halo's keyholders need to step their shit up and get over nickle and diming fans.

Also, transparency. There are many ways to bring Halo back to the top with the unlimited potential of next gen tech.
Sorry for the late reply, I was out training.

I feel that it is a pretty fair post. Halo has lost three key identities with Halo 4: An adventure campaign (See my long rant about it), a skill based stripped down multiplayer and a feature rich toolset. All of those elements made Halo a standout among other titles, and could at one time be labeled as innovative features. We have seen the campaign bogged down, the multiplayer being turned into something that it never was or should be and a toolset that is barely even there. How does any of those squandered fundamental core elements invoke any trust in future installments?

Yes, you could say that I’m being too cynical – because I’m not looking at the aspects leading to those elements being squandered. Of course there are development realities that just contributed to a less then stellar product. That is just how things are, I know that because well everywhere I have worked we have had to sacrifice something small for it not to hamper to overall product. The thing is that you have to keep those sacrifices as small as possible, or even replace it with something better or something that soothes the pain. With the industry rapidly churning out games, I feel that games will stop trying to be the “whole” package. And why would developers not release a stripped down game? Non regular players see the superficial stuff (pretty graphics, shooting), play the game and sell it – and the game turns a profit by the sheer virtue of being a complacent product. And seeing how much Halo 4 was gutted, you can’t help but feel that it will go even further in that route.

CoD fundamentals have not changed, most if not all features from older games are intact and on top of that you get new features. That is what I call bang for your buck. As much as people see Activision as the boogeyman, they sure do a lot to keep attracting players. If you analyze their strategies you notice that they are not being complacent with their position, they are actively trying to get more players to play their game. You know why Activision gets less flack if they do something bad? They do more good than bad. You know why 343i gets so much flack even when they do something decent? They have done more bad then good. People don’t want to hate really hate 343i, but when you have done 60 things terrible; nobody is going to praise you for doing 1 thing good. That sentiment will stay for a while, and 343i has to respect that and well to be blunt: deal with it.

Halo will not magically be up there with franchises that consistently do more good than bad going into next gen. Their places on secure, so much goodwill built in years. Well, you could say that I’m not asking 343i to do better, I’m asking them to go above and beyond. I mean that is the most positive thing I can say right now. I will give it to them for outright announcing 60fps and Dedicated Servers out of the gate, though.

Top Bottom