• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

No Halo 3 update is disappointing.

Looking forward to that PS4 launch tho.

I will see you there.

Was this posted?

amXB2Wv_460sa.gif

Love how GoW3 is struggling in that list and Skyrim would overcome Halo 4 soon.

CyReN

I think you guys are wrong about fans not coming back to Halo. The hype will come back.

Right now with (casual) Halo fans it's:

"Fool me once
Shame on you
Fool me twice
Shame on me."

Reach dented Halo, Halo 4 went full America History X on the rest of the fanbase. My old Halo 2/3 friends are gone, they are all talking about Titanfall. Now these are just my friends but they resemble closely to what the dudebro crowd is out like there.

Obscured

The days of Halo being a major console selling exclusive game are over. I feel like Halo 4 has driven away too many fans for good for it to regain the influence it once had. After Reach, 343 had a chance to bring all of those fans on the fence back, but they "scrapped it" and made Halo: Modern Warfare. I think 343 believes in their design decisions like ordnance, loadouts, and stuff too much to throw them out in Halo 5. It would basically be them saying all their ideas were bad, and I don't see them doing it.

Halo won't be become totally irrelevant, but it's not going to sell Xbox Ones the way Halo 3 sold Xbox 360s.

I wonder if that is true, just based on how well Halo 4 sold after Reach and all of the news of Reach-like things being continued in 4. You can argue that fans wanted to give a new studio a chance even despite how it looked like things that some fans had gripes with continued to exist. Also how many SP-only players still exist? that has always been a large part of the community. Did the SP changes/enemies/story drive those people away also?

The competitive aspect might be dead (but it seems like it could be resurrected, though I'm sure a discussion could be had if reclaiming the existing base can grow an expanded audience, and I know that discussion has occurred and some viewpoints on that are well known but I think there is still meat on that bone ), but I don't know that the franchise is dead. The launch of the next one will be telling for sure.

Halo hype will always bring people to the next Halo. But its retention that really matters.
Matters to us and I'm sure it matters to individuals at 343, but if they get the sales numbers I'm sure from a business stand point they are satisfied.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think you guys are wrong about fans not coming back to Halo. The hype will come back.

Yes of course, it is not like the next Halo will sell bad. But I bet it will again not hold its players by any means. Halo lost somehow its addictiveness ( is this a word? I'm a stupid foreigner ;) )

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yes of course, it is not like the next Halo will sell bad. But I bet it will again not hold its players by any means. Halo lost somehow its addictiveness ( is this a word? I'm a stupid foreigner ;) )

Right but only the game itself can determine if it will have legs.

Its not like the next Halo will come out, people love it but stop playing because "Halo lost its addictiveness" with Halo 4.

And don't think that population isn't important to 343 just because the game still sold like 13 million units or whatever. They want Halo to grow.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Halo 5 will sell, but not nearly as much as 4 (mainly because of install base). If MP is anything like Halo 4, the population will sink like a rock. It's still a relevant franchise, but not what it was. Like you said, it's on 343 to make a game that can do more than sell on launch day.

It also doesn't help that many Halo/Microsoft fans are jumping ship totally.

Tawpgun

They want Halo to grow.

Sure thing. I'm interested to see what they took away from Halo 4. I'm just scared we're in somewhat of a bubble of similar opinions and the truth is that 343 believe the changes they made to the franchise were loved by the majority.

EDIT: THAT FUCKIN COD VID HOLY SHIT.

HALO COPY THAT ASAP.

Finally something similar to Chromehounds War Mode.

Legitimatley makes me want to buy Ghosts.

Computer

CoD on that feature adding grind again. Remember when BO2 was fucking SHITTING on Halo 4 pre-release?

Lets go Halo ONE!

COD stays true the classic game play with every new title. They spice things up by adding new features like clans and spectator mode. Halo copies Cod on all the wrong shit.

Also "but are working closely with Xbox LIVE to ensure that players have a great experience with the Games with Gold program." WTF is this? Its like a cheap way of getting out of a apology to Halo fans. Just make up something so they feel better about the shitty situation. We are not 10 years old here.

belushy

Banned
Good fuckin times damn.

I love the flexibility of party chat but damn did it kill the social experience.

It is kind of crazy, I've seen a lot of party chat hate in the last year. People started realizing how dumb of a feature it is. Sure, it is convienent, but in early Halo 3 I always had matches where every single person has mics. Rarely in Reach and rarely in 4.

CoD 4 and Halo 3 were a damn blast with mics. Dat pre-game shit talk and post-game quit as fast as you can.

Tawpgun

It is kind of crazy, I've seen a lot of party chat hate in the last year. People started realizing how dumb of a feature it is. Sure, it is convienent, but in early Halo 3 I always had matches where every single person has mics. Rarely in Reach and rarely in 4.

CoD 4 and Halo 3 were a damn blast with mics. Dat pre-game shit talk and post-game quit as fast as you can.

It's not a dumb feature, it's just a brutal double edged sword.

I love being able to play different games with friends and still be able to talk. That being said, I also hate how it removed everyone from gamechat. If I'm ever playing a MP game with the same people in a party I always tell them to go into game chat and am always surprised people are against this. SOCIALIZE YOU NERDS!

Booshka

Gears 1 and Shadowrun were awesome without Party Chat as well. Gears trash talk would get pretty ridiculous when players from both teams could talk to each other in death screen. Lot of mid game shit talk.

Shadowrun was just awesome with everyone communicating, planning strategy, and exchanging money. Then everyone could chat in the game lobby before and after the games. Shadowrun just kept going with the same players too, so after a couple games playing with and against the same players you start to build rivalries and friendships.

That Halo 2 post is spot-on, I did all of that shit daily for nearly 2 years straight.

CyReN

To sum up the last 24 hours.

>AGL is most likely doing a Halo 3 event for Indy next month
>Ghost is done with Halo 4 and focusing on other things
>Ninja is quitting Halo and going to CoD

Tawpgun

Also I can't believe other people had those Pre Game Lobby experiences. me and my friends would create gametypes with names like PGL v4. Poking fun at MLG. Or create a gametype like "gamertag is a fag" classic middle school humor.

We would sit in the lobby for hours and just shoot the shit.

Whether you blame it on the changing gaming environment or the quality of the games or both, I think Halo 2-3 was just a better era for Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Also I can't believe other people had those Pre Game Lobby experiences. me and my friends would create gametypes with names like PGL v4. Poking fun at MLG. Or create a gametype like "gamertag is a fag" classic middle school humor.

Whether you blame it on the changing gaming environment or the quality of the games or both, I think Halo 2-3 was just a better era for Halo.

One of my friends had a Wu Tang related GT and once we matched against some guys with Wu Tang related GTs. So during the match we all gathered in a circle and just starting singing Wu Tang instead of killing each other. It was incredible.

I think it's definitely a combination of both. Halo 2 and 3 were both far superior games to Reach and 4. Then combine that with the fact online gaming during those games' peak years wasn't as mainstream you had a much better playerbase and community to play with.

I posted on the old gameinformer.com forums years ago and we had weekly custom games with tons of people during the Halo 2/3 era. We also had nightly matchmaking sessions with up to 16 people sometimes in BTB. You rarely see that kind of stuff anymore, the online community isn't the same as what it was. Party chat, like people have been saying also contributed to this I think.

I'm not really sure if we'll see kind of online gaming ever again. It has become too mainstream and the industry has grown so much and is so much more about getting every dollar possible I think 2004-2009ish will always be remembered as the golden-era of online console gaming.

They forgot how to fix Halo too.

Halo 3

#NeverForget

Fixed. With what happened in Halo 2, Bungie should've fixed all the issues in Halo 3 but they only made everything worse. Without a doubt, Halo 2 was better than Halo 3 on every level except the obvious technical advancements like better graphics, etc.

The days of Halo being a major console selling exclusive game are over. I feel like Halo 4 has driven away too many fans for good for it to regain the influence it once had. After Reach, 343 had a chance to bring all of those fans on the fence back, but they "scrapped it" and made Halo: Modern Warfare. I think 343 believes in their design decisions like ordnance, loadouts, and stuff too much to throw them out in Halo 5. It would basically be them saying all their ideas were bad, and I don't see them doing it.

Halo won't be become totally irrelevant, but it's not going to sell Xbox Ones the way Halo 3 sold Xbox 360s.

Never underestimate the selling power of Halo. 60FPS next gen Halo is going to move a shit ton of consoles.

LOL and the person starts by describing Halo 2.. It sucks that 97% of Halo's population will never understand how Halo 2 began the downfall of Halo gameplay. Matchmaking was a phenomenal experience though at the time, too bad it hasn't changed in about 10 years. Let that sink in. 10. Years. No changes.

I can't wait until my Halo 1 documentary is finally complete. Soon.

Top Bottom