• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Dunno why they really bothered another slightly cheaper redesign of the 360, but at least it's not the piece of crap the Super Slim is.

Hnnng those GIFs.. I lied.. Spotty netcode or not, I'm playing some Halo 3 this week.

The analog sticks are much smoother, they don't have much resistance when you control them.
I thought that aspect felt really nice, but I know there are others who prefer the resistance.
I personally think it would make precision aiming easier, but I only played Forza, and I'm not sure there is an FPS at the Area One event :(

The sticks were kind of indented at the top which I noticed helped me grip the sticks better when I pushed/pulled them to the extreme angles.

I thought the outside texture of the sticks felt really nice, not sure how long it'll last, but it felt great :p

The sticks seemed just slightly smaller, but it didn't affect me at all.

Gosh, the controller felt so good when I picked it up.
I read reactions that described it as feeling much more solid, and I didn't really understand that, until I held it.
The weight felt good. It fit in my hands so well, the handles provided a grip that felt really natural.

Again, my only complaint was that I felt like I needed to readjust my grip to reach the bumpers, but I think that's just because I wasn't really familiar with the controller.
I also read some complaints about the trigger and bumper sitting flush to each other, I honestly wasn't bothered by that at all, didn't even notice it at the event.

I believe I posted similarly at the time, but to reiterate, I agree with your initial impressions on the X1 controller. The only question mark is the odd bumpers, which I kind of assume we'll get used to their placement and size. Overall, controller feels really good and the triggers are great.

I'd just wished I'd gotten my hands on the PS4 controller at the time, as I've never liked dualshock controllers. Not that big of a deal though, if I pick up a PS4 at some point, I know what I'm getting it for.

-----------

Tashi you get that BF4 or I'll come at you like a spider monkey!

Or something

Zoolader

I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back and it's incredible the influence it had on the original Halo. Also another gif., I needed to see an Alien splatter after those movies.

10222021926_4860bbaf43_o.gif

You might be led to believe that it was the sticky flying across the gilded grain sands and bonding with the enemy spartan who was aboard his mammalian companion as the magnum opus of this gif, but in truth it was the celebratory t-bagging that solidified and engraved this moment.

That was like poetry, thank you.

FyreWulff

A sudden psychology-related thought came to my head just now:

I wonder if 7 on the 7th is going to make people stick around until at least November 7th (zomg 11/7), and if 7 on the 7th is going to see the highest population it's had since it debuted on that day :lol

I also wonder if 343 was able to increase the not-have-to-PTT limit to 8.

Fuchsdh

I've always wondered how I'd feel if they made the Xbox controller's bumpers sit *below* the triggers as opposed to above. I imagine that there are lots of people out there like me that prefer to actually use our index fingers on the triggers, and thus shifting them down would make it easier to hit them without compromising shooting.

Halo 4 has Sprint so it feels familiar to CoD, you dont have to worry about weapon timing (ordnance) and player spawns (infinite respawn). Learning the maps, power weapon timing and player spawns is just too hardcore, players might get too good and stomp on noobs.

I love how all the defining attributes of Halo were stripped out for H4 because that shit is just too unique and archaic.

All fun aspects of HALO was removed so the game could defendthecasuals from good players. Removing the skill entrance barrier and ramp to higher levels of play made the game too boring and uninteresting. Removing the ranking system to prevent people from caring enough to even bother cheating instead of just fixing cheating gave nobody any quantifiable measurement of their skill so they could make fun of and motivate others to get better and play ranked games. See "Get a 50 and then I'll 1v1 you BK"

There's just nothing to fucking DO in Halo 4 you turn it on and if you are even a casual player by now you have SR-130. Hitting a CSR50 (CantSeeShitRank) is no harder than it was to get your BPR (BadkidPointsRank) to 100. Nobody wants some stupid mangled conglomerate score of some mathematical recalculation of stats you can already go look up and see if you wanted to, but you dont cause Halo Waypoint is so flashy its bad. Bungie.net vs Halo Waypoint is like Baraka finshing Johnny Cage with the heart rip fatality. Its not even fucking close. Halo Waypoint should be put on a hard drive deleted everywhere else that hard drive should be shot into the sun and then somebody should blow the sun up with a laser just in case there is any remnants of Waypoint somehow left over. Everyone in the world should be forced to have their memory erased on top of that just so they cant remember Waypoint at all during the last few days on Earth until they run out of food, energy and heat and die. All this would still be worth it.

Furthermore they got rid of endless play FF which would have been even better and more progressed to put in Spec Ops, Which was a complete copy of the CoD Spec Ops mode, it wasn't even on the same level, lasted ONE season, and was so boring I never even bothered playing it. How do I know it was boring? I don't, but I care so little about playing it I just can apply neo-Schroedingers cat. So it is both boring and not boring. Except this is the new theory where its just boring because it was made by Three Hundred & Forty Three Industries.

IGN 9.8. = DoritoGate.

Gameplay unlocks can burn for all eternity. Little Rico five year old can shit on me because he has more options available to him? That can fuck right off.

Flinch, RIP Halo. Bring back strafe.

Boltshot. Halo is dead, 10K peaks.

fin.

GhaleonEB

no way

BWT9paFIIAEhHAx.jpg

ps: if you need help tashi hit me up on skype.

I was about to make a post about how Halo 3 map packs really should go free, if 343 isn't going to bother with updating the playlists, but this makes it clear Microsoft made Halo 3 free in hopes if selling more of them. Sigh.

Great post, The Henery.

I was about to make a post about how Halo 3 map packs really should go free, if 343 isn't going to bother with updating the playlists, but this makes it clear Microsoft made Halo 3 free in hopes if selling more of them. Sigh.

Great post, The Henery.

They could still make the playlists into with and without dlc. The separated every other community into 2, might as well do it here too.

But that would require a playlist update.

Ya, thats what i hate about MS. I find it so ridiculous that in order to get some customer service from these companies you must complain. Why cant they just take initiative. Why must we have to complain every single time to get anything worth wile. The game is 7 years old for Christ sakes, give the fucking dlc with the game. God damn.

Fuchsdh

Ya, thats what i hate about MS. I find it so ridiculous that in order to get some customer service from these companies you must complain. Why cant they just take initiative. Why must we have to complain every single time to get anything worth wile. The game is 7 years old for Christ sakes, give the fucking dlc with the game. God damn.

It's a free download.

It's a free download.

Its a free download thats also borked if you go and try to play it online. Thats about as useful as charging for MP thats on the disk after you bought a game. Either you make as many playlists for the people who dont have the DLC than those who do, or you give the dlc with the rest of the game.

But "giving" away a 7 year old game that your then stuck still having to buy dlc for to have it work properly online is screwing people over plain and simple.

I don't think there's particularly much merit to complaining that a game you've either gotten for free or far more than your original investment out of it isn't giving people more free stuff on top of that.

I certainly would have liked a playlist consolidation, and I can appreciate the benefits of a looser DLC policy in all Halo games. But the shit flipping going on here seems a bit excessive.

Giving free shit doesn't excuse terrible execution.

Did they ever wonder that maybe giving the dlc and giving people a "full" Halo3 experience would get them interested in maybe trying the next one and thus, selling more dlc for that? With great customer service, youll get your money one way or another and wont piss off the community in the process.

Fuchsdh

I don't think there's particularly much merit to complaining that a game you've either gotten for free or far more than your original investment out of it isn't giving people more free stuff on top of that.

I certainly would have liked a playlist consolidation, and I can appreciate the benefits of a looser DLC policy in all Halo games. But the shit flipping going on here seems a bit excessive.

Its a free download thats also borked if you go and try to play it online. Thats about as useful as charging for MP thats on the disk after you bought a game. Either you make as many playlists for the people who dont have the DLC than those who do, or you give the dlc with the rest of the game.

But "giving" away a 7 year old game that your then stuck still having to buy dlc for to have it work properly online is screwing people over plain and simple.

There's plenty of options in the hoppers that don't require you to have DLC. Screwing people would be MS releasing a game for free except requiring you to buy DLC to actually play any of the multi component, and that's clearly not the case here.

There's plenty of options in the hoppers that don't require you to have DLC. Screwing people would be MS releasing a game for free except requiring you to buy DLC to actually play any of the multi component, and that's clearly not the case here.

Ill delete all my paid dlc and get back to you on that.

Seems to border on calling us "entitled".

Giving Halo 3 away for free isn't Microsoft doing us a "favour".
Not only has Halo 3 depreciated in value to where it can double as an ineffectual frisbee, this is their slow attempt to compete with the much more generous Playstation Plus. That's all this is.

There have been a few good arguments as to why this is more significant than something that should be blown off because we're getting it for "free", and what it seems to say about 343's priorities [or how hamstrung they're tied from above] in general.

FyreWulff

Regardless if base Halo 3 is still free, it was absurd that Mythic 2 was still 10$ in the first place (and still is, I guess it won't drop until the 16th). Microsoft hasn't permanently dropped DLC prices on a Halo game since Mythic 1.

They really should all be 2$ at most if they insist on sticking to the policy of achievements being tied to paid DLC.

Yeah, I know you guys essentially gave away Mythic 2 with ODST, and probably want to maximize the income from the non-Mythic stragglers. All you're really accomplishing is game bleedout as people don't want to buy DLC that costs as much as the game, and is useless by itself (Mythic 1 and Mythic 2 need to both be bought to enter playlists that require them), and then leave, reducing the urge by remaining players to buy DLC, and eventually bottoming out. People that paid for the content can't play the content they paid for.

Hell, Reach's DLC is full price still. Halo Wars DLC is still full price. The DLC playlists in that game are completely dead. The DLC costs more than the base game! Every time Reach DLC reqs were added to a playlist, it tanked. Even Halo 4 Team Slayer got tanked by a Majestic requirement and that was a map pass map pack.

Great post, The Henery.

It should be noted that MS actually did a free Gold Weekend where everyone on Live could download the free Gold game... for Might and Magic. They want people to pay for Gold to get Halo 3. So they couldn't even muster just giving base Halo 3 away in hopes of selling DLC.

I'm not a fan of the Killzone series but I like who Sony is giving people the new maps for Shadowfall for free. 343/MS needs to pay attention to that.

Tired of DLC maps being pretty much useless since Halo 3.

FyreWulff

tl;dr

They need to go to an F2P model for maps. Sell armor, weapon skins, and visors. Give these in exchange for paying for the maps. Everyone else can just freely download the maps.

This way the population stops being split and people that pay for content can actually play said content. Because it seems DLC hasn't been really working out since people actually had to pay for it. Even Halo 3 didn't hit majority DLC adoption until the Mythic Disc, and the chance to reunify the Reach playerbase was shot to shit with the car crash that was the Reach Anniversary Disc (oh hey, now not only have we split the playerbase with DLC, now we've split it depending on which disc you're playing from!). Could have made it a full Mythic style disc (yes, I know it was to keep it under 60$), DLC adoption in Reach would have exploded. The Anniversary disc still pisses me off, if you couldn't tell. The most ass backwards release in terms of design and commercial intent.

edit: I made these for another thread. Clicking the things will take you to the DLC content.

STP4pWj.jpg

Karl2177

Do the Mythic disc and the campaign disc have separate title IDs? If I have the Mythic disc in my tray and the Games for Gold version on my HDD and go to recent games, which one will it boot up?

Computer

I don't care that a game that cost less then 5 bucks at Game Stop is going to be free. I don't need the free game. I own multiple copy's of Halo 3 as most Halo fans do. I also own all the DLC but is it is linked to older gamer tags. The only thing I was looking forward to was a boost in Halo 3 popularity because I want good matchmaking. Bad matchmaking is the only reason I am not playing H3 right now. As soon as every one finds out that you are limited to 3 playlist unless you buy 6 year old DLC for around $18.00 everyone will just go back to playing GTA 5. I could pick up a used copy of ODST for like 3 bucks with all the DLC included. This nickle and dime shit is ridiculous and a insult to long term Halo players.

FyreWulff

Do the Mythic disc and the campaign disc have separate title IDs? If I have the Mythic disc in my tray and the Games for Gold version on my HDD and go to recent games, which one will it boot up?

Nope. It'll boot up Mythic, I believe. Same thing where having GonD Reach and the Anniversary Disc will result in you loading the Anniversary disc if it's in the tray.

Booties

Banned
If I own odst do I need to buy all the maps? I can't remember if I even transferred that content to my new xbox or not, but I was wondering.

Top Bottom