• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Homeboyd

Fuck $10, seriously I spend more on lunch or half that on a coffee.
ibgK5aPMV0WPgN.gif

Weird Deus Ex on steam was a discounted game and you paid for DLC, same went for other XBL third party developer games in the last couple of months and free with Gold. Halo 3 is doing the same as other multiple xbox titles and steam titles with paid DLC.

I agree playlists should have had one final update. I'm over gamers whining about free shit though. Fuck $10, seriously I spend more on lunch or half that on a coffee. Something something value for money & ROI.

I hate when people whine about buying shit as much as the next guy, but I'd rather pay $15-20 out of pocket to get the DLC freed and a playlist consolidation than be given a completely unaltered turd for free that points me to buying other, slightly more polished turds.

Madness

In about a month or so, the next gen begins. Millions will move on, including a lot of Halo fans, some who aren't even going to buy the next Microsoft console.

It's not about free or $2 or less than coffee at lunch, it's about their "best" and "most loved" Halo game (on Xbox 360) going free and to give fans one last send off.

Microsoft isn't hurting for money, especially on a 6 year old game that is found for less than $5 in a lot of bargain bins. The DLC should have been free for the sole reason that people could play the complete Halo 3 multiplayer experience one final time, remind people of it before the transition to next gen.

I own all the DLC, and I have my ODST mythic disc, but what good is it, if the hundred thousand or more who will probably DL it, won't bother to get the DLC?

Edit: This is their FRANCHISE, this is really the ONLY reason many people buy Xbox consoles. The day they said it would be a free game, I'd have asked around the studio to those willing to be part of a revival team who will update/consolidate playlists, make sure the DLC was free etc. Halo is Xbox and it's just sad how it's being mismanaged.

In about a month or so, the next gen begins. Millions will move on, including a lot of Halo fans, some who aren't even going to buy the next Microsoft console.

It's not about free or $2 or less than coffee at lunch, it's about their "best" and "most loved" Halo game (on Xbox 360) going free and to give fans one last send off.

Microsoft isn't hurting for money, especially on a 6 year old game that is found for less than $5 in a lot of bargain bins. The DLC should have been free for the sole reason that people could play the complete Halo 3 multiplayer experience one final time, remind people of it before the transition to next gen.

I own all the DLC, and I have my ODST mythic disc, but what good is it, if the hundred thousand or more who will probably DL it, won't bother to get the DLC?

Edit: This is their FRANCHISE, this is really the ONLY reason many people buy Xbox consoles. The day they said it would be a free game, I'd have asked around the studio to those willing to be part of a revival team who will update/consolidate playlists, make sure the DLC was free etc. Halo is Xbox and it's just sad how badly it's being mismanaged.

So much this. People like to say that Halo is "Microsoft's Baby" but they've turned out to be pretty bad parents.

I feel like they have good intentions, but they are potentially too corporate for their own good. I would love for Microsoft to just give whatever resources they want, and keep their hands out of the studio process, sustain, creative process, everything. But, that'll sadly will never happen.

Madness

August 2011.

If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox-MS.

Kind of prophetic, the title anyway.

"The good thing about 343 is that they've had the time, through the dev of Reach, working on getting the map packs out, and getting to know the infrastructure and the build systems and everything about Halo. They've also brought in their own talent and their own view so that they can put their own stamp on the franchise. "All in all, 343 are in a position to take over the franchise without missing a beat."

Nebula

"The good thing about 343 is that they've had the time, through the dev of Reach, working on getting the map packs out, and getting to know the infrastructure and the build systems and everything about Halo. They've also brought in their own talent and their own view so that they can put their own stamp on the franchise. "All in all, 343 are in a position to take over the franchise without missing a beat."

Playlist update now.

J10

Banned
It makes sense. Halo was all that was tying me to my 360, as I'm guessing it did/does for a lot of people here. There are no exclusives that Microsoft has that compared to CE-Reach imo.

Project Spark is literally the only thing keeping me with Microsoft right now. Thankfully it's on 360 so I won't need to upgrade in any way to enjoy it.

Halo 4 will be 9.99 next week at best buy. Maybe if you broke or sold your old copy and need a new one, this is a great opportunity to get one.

6Eh1Roi.jpg

Madness

Has a Halo game ever dropped that fast in price?

It was like $29-$34 a month after release... It's just the way the industry is now, prices drop sharply after the first few weeks. I remember even Cliffy B tweeting about it, wondering if it was smart to get more sales in before Christmas.

I even remember Future Shop up here in Canada, selling it for $19.99 barely like 4 months after release.

I think the used games trade is another factor in this. As for whether a Halo game dropped that fast, no, I don't remember Reach dropping as quick.

Yeah message Pixelfox.
Sorry, didn't remember Fuchsdh was PixelFox. I've played with PixelFox before. Are you guys doing H3 or H4?

Computer

Edit: This is their FRANCHISE, this is really the ONLY reason many people buy Xbox consoles. The day they said it would be a free game, I'd have asked around the studio to those willing to be part of a revival team who will update/consolidate playlists, make sure the DLC was free etc. Halo is Xbox and it's just sad how it's being mismanaged.

Our complaints shall fall upon deaf ears.

Overdoziz

Banned
All fun aspects of HALO was removed so the game could defendthecasuals from good players. Removing the skill entrance barrier and ramp to higher levels of play made the game too boring and uninteresting. Removing the ranking system to prevent people from caring enough to even bother cheating instead of just fixing cheating gave nobody any quantifiable measurement of their skill so they could make fun of and motivate others to get better and play ranked games. See "Get a 50 and then I'll 1v1 you BK"

There's just nothing to fucking DO in Halo 4 you turn it on and if you are even a casual player by now you have SR-130. Hitting a CSR50 (CantSeeShitRank) is no harder than it was to get your BPR (BadkidPointsRank) to 100. Nobody wants some stupid mangled conglomerate score of some mathematical recalculation of stats you can already go look up and see if you wanted to, but you dont cause Halo Waypoint is so flashy its bad. Bungie.net vs Halo Waypoint is like Baraka finshing Johnny Cage with the heart rip fatality. Its not even fucking close. Halo Waypoint should be put on a hard drive deleted everywhere else that hard drive should be shot into the sun and then somebody should blow the sun up with a laser just in case there is any remnants of Waypoint somehow left over. Everyone in the world should be forced to have their memory erased on top of that just so they cant remember Waypoint at all during the last few days on Earth until they run out of food, energy and heat and die. All this would still be worth it.

Furthermore they got rid of endless play FF which would have been even better and more progressed to put in Spec Ops, Which was a complete copy of the CoD Spec Ops mode, it wasn't even on the same level, lasted ONE season, and was so boring I never even bothered playing it. How do I know it was boring? I don't, but I care so little about playing it I just can apply neo-Schroedingers cat. So it is both boring and not boring. Except this is the new theory where its just boring because it was made by Three Hundred & Forty Three Industries.

IGN 9.8. = DoritoGate.

Gameplay unlocks can burn for all eternity. Little Rico five year old can shit on me because he has more options available to him? That can fuck right off.

Flinch, RIP Halo. Bring back strafe.

Boltshot. Halo is dead, 10K peaks.

fin.
terrible

Blueblur1

All fun aspects of HALO was removed so the game could defendthecasuals from good players. Removing the skill entrance barrier and ramp to higher levels of play made the game too boring and uninteresting. Removing the ranking system to prevent people from caring enough to even bother cheating instead of just fixing cheating gave nobody any quantifiable measurement of their skill so they could make fun of and motivate others to get better and play ranked games. See "Get a 50 and then I'll 1v1 you BK"

There's just nothing to fucking DO in Halo 4 you turn it on and if you are even a casual player by now you have SR-130. Hitting a CSR50 (CantSeeShitRank) is no harder than it was to get your BPR (BadkidPointsRank) to 100. Nobody wants some stupid mangled conglomerate score of some mathematical recalculation of stats you can already go look up and see if you wanted to, but you dont cause Halo Waypoint is so flashy its bad. Bungie.net vs Halo Waypoint is like Baraka finshing Johnny Cage with the heart rip fatality. Its not even fucking close. Halo Waypoint should be put on a hard drive deleted everywhere else that hard drive should be shot into the sun and then somebody should blow the sun up with a laser just in case there is any remnants of Waypoint somehow left over. Everyone in the world should be forced to have their memory erased on top of that just so they cant remember Waypoint at all during the last few days on Earth until they run out of food, energy and heat and die. All this would still be worth it.

Furthermore they got rid of endless play FF which would have been even better and more progressed to put in Spec Ops, Which was a complete copy of the CoD Spec Ops mode, it wasn't even on the same level, lasted ONE season, and was so boring I never even bothered playing it. How do I know it was boring? I don't, but I care so little about playing it I just can apply neo-Schroedingers cat. So it is both boring and not boring. Except this is the new theory where its just boring because it was made by Three Hundred & Forty Three Industries.

IGN 9.8. = DoritoGate.

Gameplay unlocks can burn for all eternity. Little Rico five year old can shit on me because he has more options available to him? That can fuck right off.

Flinch, RIP Halo. Bring back strafe.

Boltshot. Halo is dead, 10K peaks.

fin.

Bravo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I will take pride in this, same as never hitting Inheritor in Reach, neither game warranted the time needed to do it.

I can't even imagine getting to Inheritor. I put an absurd amount of time into Reach and didn't get close.

At least v5 customs were always fun. MLG Reach is pretty damn good. We had some really great custom matches.

edit: vvv I can't bring myself to finish Spartan Ops. I've done 7 or so chapters, and I have no desire to complete the season.

I still haven't hit SR-130. With next gen starting in a month, I probably never will.

I will take pride in this, same as never hitting Inheritor in Reach, neither game warranted the time needed to do it.

I'm on 129 in Halo 4.

Will I ever hit 130? Unless I play customs all the time, that's a nope.

Spartan Ops? Some missions are pretty quick and gives tons of exp.

I can't even imagine getting to Inheritor. I put an absurd amount of time into Reach and didn't get close.

At least v5 customs were always fun. MLG Reach is pretty damn good. We had some really great custom matches.

edit: vvv I can't bring myself to finish Spartan Ops. I've done 7 or so chapters, and I have no desire to complete the season.

Real talk: I'd honestly say finishing it (on Easy or Normal at least) is worth it because some interesting encounters start showing up near the end, culminating in some downright Halo 3-inspired shenanigans in the final chapter. That being said, do not expect anything fancy beyond the episodic format you're used to. Literally every chapter still ends with the multiplayer victory music and a pelican flying off into the sunset.

Real talk: I'd honestly say finishing it (on Easy or Normal at least) is worth it because some interesting encounters start showing up near the end, culminating in some downright Halo 3-inspired shenanigans in the final chapter. That being said, do not expect anything fancy beyond the episodic format you're used to. Literally every chapter still ends with the multiplayer victory music and a pelican flying off into the sunset.

The 2nd half was definitely an improvement for creative direction, not nessicarily in writing. Some of the encounters are fun at the end, but the entire premise of Spartan Ops doesn't provide a lot of payoff in terms of moving forward with the Universe.
Halsey loses an arm, and the Storm and UNSC both have half a map for Forerunner tech.

Fun games everyone, sorry about the shit host. Don't understand how a single guy from NZ can pull host over a lobby full of Americans but that's halo.

Nebula

Fun games everyone, sorry about the shit host. Don't understand how a single guy from NZ can pull host over a lobby full of Americans but that's halo.

I still don't get why we have yet to have an option to make the party leader also the connection host. Something they should have copied from CoD.

Next gen is supposedly dedis anyway.

FyreWulff

This giant corporation with a huge division devoted to sustaining Halo can't find time to update the playlists so the people getting the game for the first time have a better experience.

I brought this up before, and it's puzzling. MS created an entire division solely for Halo. All it does it Halo. Yet in the run up to Halo 4, they gladly outsourced everything. And pretty much everything since Halo 4 (including it's DLC) has been outsourced. And they still don't have the manpower to handle more than 1 game at once?

Why not have Certain Affinity take over sustain if they don't have the people? It seemed like they wanted complete vertical integration but didn't want to pay for it.

Nebula

I brought this up before, and it's puzzling. MS created an entire division solely for Halo. All it does it Halo. Yet in the run up to Halo 4, they gladly outsourced everything. And pretty much everything since Halo 4 (including it's DLC) has been outsourced. And they still don't have the manpower to handle more than 1 game at once?

Why not have Certain Affinity take over sustain if they don't have the people? It seemed like they wanted complete vertical integration but didn't want to pay for it.

I has a question.

How much did Bungie outsource? I know a few MP maps were outsourced but that's all.

I has a question.

How much did Bungie outsource? I know a few MP maps were outsourced but that's all.

They outsourced a few Halo 2 map packs to Certain Affinity, but i think they did everything else in house.

Well, at this point wasn't Certain Affinity still basically Bungie?
They were still separate. They were created in 2006, and developed the Blastacular Map Pack for Halo 2 in 2007, if memory permits.

FyreWulff

I has a question.

Halo 1 - outsourced the dialogue writing (the writers never even saw the game)

Halo 2 - Blastacular Map Pack was done by CA.

Halo 3 - I dunno.

Halo ODST - The entirety of Sadie's Story was outsourced. Joe Staten recorded the voice of the Superintendent.

Reach - Everything past Noble was outsourced and done by CA.

Of course, they used contractors for the base game themselves. That's industry standard for the most part.

edit: technically Halo Wars sustain was outsourced to Robot Entertainment, but Robot was essentially the part of Ensemble that still wanted to do RTSes. 343 eventually took over Halo Wars after Robot moved on. 343's lone update for that game was fixing a bug with movie playback.

Top Bottom