• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

If I own odst do I need to buy all the maps? I can't remember if I even transferred that content to my new xbox or not, but I was wondering.

You just play off the second disc that came with ODST.

Speaking of which, I assume since it's all stuff that was DLC only, installing it to your hard drive won't tank performance like installing Halo 3 would? Or is it the same deal?

FyreWulff

You just play off the second disc that came with ODST.

Speaking of which, I assume since it's all stuff that was DLC only, installing it to your hard drive won't tank performance like installing Halo 3 would? Or is it the same deal?

Same deal. H3 Mythic caches the DLC maps just like the disc maps on Vanilla.

Fuchsdh

tl;dr

They need to go to an F2P model for maps. Sell armor, weapon skins, and visors. Give these in exchange for paying for the maps. Everyone else can just freely download the maps.

This way the population stops being split and people that pay for content can actually play said content. Because it seems DLC hasn't been really working out since people actually had to pay for it. Even Halo 3 didn't hit majority DLC adoption until the Mythic Disc, and the chance to reunify the Reach playerbase was shot to shit with the car crash that was the Reach Anniversary Disc (oh hey, now not only have we split the playerbase with DLC, now we've split it depending on which disc you're playing from!). Could have made it a full Mythic style disc (yes, I know it was to keep it under 60$), DLC adoption in Reach would have exploded. The Anniversary disc still pisses me off, if you couldn't tell. The most ass backwards release in terms of design and commercial intent.

edit: I made these for another thread. Clicking the things will take you to the DLC content.

STP4pWj.jpg

Nice links. For the record I completely agree that ideally, DLC should go free. I think something like the Champions bundle seems like a decent way to do it--you can buy it to get a bunch of cosmetic stuffs and the maps early, or wait maybe a month and all the non-cosmetic stuff is free. I'd rather things get bought that way than microtransactions for individual armor, personally.

I do think it's bizarre that the DLC remains so high, especially since I'm sure it's in Microsoft's financial interest to sell more copies of cheaper content after a point. That's how game prices work in general, so it seems like their somewhat lazy approach to DLC (and the very least, you should be bundling it together so players have a one-stop shop at the end of the day) seems like it's actively hurting them. Then again, I've never seen the numbers.

Booties

Banned
Same deal. H3 Mythic caches the DLC maps just like the disc maps on Vanilla.

I want to play straight from my hard drive, not via the odst disc. It may have a scratch or a crack in it so I don't think it works anyway.

I'm pretty stoked for Halo 3. Gonna feel good to have a healthy population, even if it's only for a couple days

I think it will be awesome. Very excited to play tons of games again. I'm optimistic about how long it will stay alive.

Defect

Halo 3 is the only game I played consistently for 5 years so it's going to be amazing to have the population finally go up.

I hope newcomers play the crazy customs.

No DLC price changes, No Playlist consolidation.

Practically sending this game out to die, Might make the top 20 for a month at most and then drop off again.

Practically sending this game out to die, Might make the top 20 for a month at most and then drop off again.

They are specting newcomers to buy DLC like a cheap form of F2P game since they wont change the DLC requirements in some playlist huh?

Edit: I hope the DLC get a discount price when they launched the game at least

CyReN

I don't think they are purposely doing it, but if Halo 3 beats out Halo 4 on the activity list this will be a first for Halo. It also doesn't help that it's been less than a year.

Either way I just hope they don't look at Halo 4 falling down the charts because of next-gen console are coming out and GTA V. It's because the game has no game lasting features and went away from a working formula.

I don't think they are purposely doing it, but if Halo 3 beats out Halo 4 on the activity list this will be a first for Halo. It also doesn't help that it's been less than a year.

Either way I just hope they don't look at Halo 4 falling down the charts because of next-gen console are coming out and GTA V. It's because the game has no game lasting features and went away from a working formula.

If 343 doesn't get why the game is failing to maintain players after everything fans have said there is no hope for the future of this series.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

It's because of a lot of things.

It's because of a lot of things.

I don't expect 343 to purposely sabotage Halo 4 that said I think we all need to understand once the transition took place all past Halo's are dead as far as MS/343 are concerned. I don't even think it has anything to do with online activity etc, it's an old game that some idiot from marketing thought would be a nice endcap to this gold promotion.

It's not a relaunch, it's an afterthought.

GhaleonEB

I don't think there's particularly much merit to complaining that a game you've either gotten for free or far more than your original investment out of it isn't giving people more free stuff on top of that.

I certainly would have liked a playlist consolidation, and I can appreciate the benefits of a looser DLC policy in all Halo games. But the shit flipping going on here seems a bit excessive.
It's a reflection of how poorly MS has handled the franchise, after the first Halo 3 map pack. When it was announced that Halo 3 was going to be a free game this year, plans should have formed in 343 to get a playlist update out ahead of it, full stop. It's really kind of hilarious that they didn't: they highlight the free games as a major new benefit of Xbox Live.

At E3 they hype Halo 3 as one of the major titles to be included this year.

This giant corporation with a huge division devoted to sustaining Halo can't find time to update the playlists so the people getting the game for the first time have a better experience.

I find that decision utterly baffling, and out of step with the entire idea of making the game free in the first place.

CyReN

It's kinda give and take with the updated playlist though, I saw a lot of people happy because they think 343 could screw up the playlists.

I'm curious if the MLG playlist would have stuck around, it works for my side of the community in someways.

blamite

It's a reflection of how poorly MS has handled the franchise, after the first Halo 3 map pack. When it was announced that Halo 3 was going to be a free game this year, plans should have formed in 343 to get a playlist update out ahead of it, full stop. It's really kind of hilarious that they didn't: they highlight the free games as a major new benefit of Xbox Live.

At E3 they hype Halo 3 as one of the major titles to be included this year.

This giant corporation with a huge division devoted to sustaining Halo can't find time to update the playlists so the people getting the game for the first time have a better experience.

I find that decision utterly baffling, and out of step with the entire idea of making the game free in the first place.
I recall getting the impression that 343 wasn't even aware H3 would be free until the E3 announcement, which just makes this whole thing even more ridiculous. Bad communication in every possible direction.

Weird Deus Ex on steam was a discounted game and you paid for DLC, same went for other XBL third party developer games in the last couple of months and free with Gold. Halo 3 is doing the same as other multiple xbox titles and steam titles with paid DLC.

I agree playlists should have had one final update. I'm over gamers whining about free shit though. Fuck $10, seriously I spend more on lunch or half that on a coffee. Something something value for money & ROI.

wwm0nkey

Weird Deus Ex on steam was a discounted game and you paid for DLC, same went for other XBL third party developer games in the last couple of months and free with Gold. Halo 3 is doing the same as other multiple xbox titles and steam titles with paid DLC.

I agree playlists should have had one final update. I'm over gamers whining about free shit though. Fuck $10, seriously I spend more on lunch or half that on a coffee. Something something value for money & ROI.

SP and MP DLC is way different, one can split a player base and the other can't.

Cosmetic DLC paid and maps for free after a month is the way to go I feel.

Also as for your last statement, some (a lot) people really don't want to spend $12 on a 6 year old game.

The price is not the point, many already own this DLC via the ODST second disc making it free would have been a nice gesture since the majority of Playlists now require DLC in Halo .

If they are making Halo 3 free the intention should be to get people playing it online and get Halo to be relevant again locking people out of playlists is shitty.

Games for Gold is a crapshoot, I have had PS+ for near enough a year at this point heres what I've got for my £30 investment.

(not full list just choice picks)

PS3
Rachet & Clank All 4 One
Little Big Planet 2
Infamous 2
Batman Arkham City
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Limbo
Vanquish
Resident Evil 5
Bulletstorm
Mortal Kombat
Bioshock 2
Quantum Conundrum
Sleeping Dogs
God of War HD
Mass Effect 3
Dead or Alive 5
Okami HD
Thomas Was Alone
Catherine
Hitman Absolution
Ico & Shadow of the Collosus HD
Demon Souls
X-Com Enemy Unknown
Battlefield 3
Saints Row The Third
Spec Ops The Line
Payday The Heist
Mafia 2
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Jack & Daxter Trilogy HD
Assassins Creed 3
Far Cry 3
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
Metal Gear Rising Revengance
Remember Me

PS Vita
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Thomas Was Alone
Rayman Origins
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Lego Lord of the Rings
Jack & Daxter Trilogy HD
New Little King Story
Touch My Katamari
Street Fighter X Tekken
Mortal Kombat
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

The least microsoft could do for games for gold is give away some $10 DLC considering many have been XBL subscribers paying annual fee's of $50 for 5-10 years.

Replying to Stalker:
Some good games in there for sure. What was the DLC like for those? Free or paid?

Games for gold is 24 games free a year, pretty comparable, yes? I picked up AC2, DR2, H3 shortly, Rainbow Six Vegas etc

Look at this hotshot buying 5 dollar coffees.

wwm0nkey

Replying to Stalker:
Some good games in there for sure. What was the DLC like for those? Free or paid?

Games for gold is 24 games free a year, pretty comparable, yes?

Except if you actually read the fine print you would know Games for Gold is ending on December with a "maybe" of it returning at some unknown point in time.

Also no its not comparable, you get around 4 to 5 games a month on PS+ (more if you have a Vita) all at once and not 2 a month and have to wait until the 16th for the next one. Now one thing Games for Gold does do perfectly is if my gold goes out I can still re-download the games.

Replying to Stalker:

Games for gold is 24 games free a year, pretty comparable, yes?

DLC for some of those was lots, Hitman I got all the preorder DLC for example which is about $10 worth of content.

Games for gold might be 24 games a year but

Halo 3
Rainbow Six Vegas
Crackdown

These games don't compare to things like Far Cry 3, Remember Me, Hitman, Metal Gear Rising games released in 2013 not games from 2006-2007

Edit: Typically DLC will go on sale when the game is free.

Pretty solid of Sony with reward for multiple devices owned, if only xbox had a handheld...soon I imagine.

Too right on the game releases being current, amazing to see Remember Me and such on there. How much is PS+ per year?

Nebula

Making the maps free would give every playlist a much needed boost and provide potentially thousands with a fuller Halo experience which they may not have had before. We all know how convincing a game Halo can be, hell we're all still here trying to fix the damn thing today after 2 bad games.

That's potentially thousands having a fuller Halo experience which could lead to them becoming interested in the franchise. They might then buy other Halo games and content, and maybe the products outside of the game. They then gain an interest in the franchise to the point where they look forward to Halo 5 and want to get it.

It can be nothing but a benefit making all the maps free. Not trying to be one of those whiny gamers that wants all the things free either. It would just make better sense for the future games of Halo to do everything you can to pull people in with Halo 3.

Not sure if addressing what Ozzy said made sense, so I made an edit.

Pretty solid of Sony with reward for multiple devices owned, if only xbox had a handheld...soon I imagine.

Too right on the game releases being current, amazing to see Remember Me and such on there. How much is PS+ per year?
Same price as Live.

Live Game Deals & Games for Gold is not even on the same planet as PS+.

Same price as Live.

Nice I briefly owned a PS One and skipped 2 & 3, early next year I'll take a PS4 alongside my X1 day one. Thanks for the PS+ info.

Side note I've always wanted Halo DLC for sale over 3 months then free and required in all playlists. Reach and 4 gave some great DLC maps but rarely get played or high playlist populations.

I just dislike the free entitled side of free shit but you've made me see the Sony delivering better side of things.

Fuchsdh

Same price as Live.

PS+ actually has the potential to do damage next gen, so that's going to force them to step up their game, and they clearly know it (hence this initial attempt).

The reason Microsoft has so many rather poor policies largely has to do with them owning online and doing it better than everyone else. If Sony really follows through on their promises I expect we'll see more positive developments (yay competition). Also, hopefully they take the XBL on One deck-clearing as a chance to change some of their really outdated legacy policies that Fyre has detailed. Worse thing about current-gen is how it still feels like we're in 2007 sometimes.

Anyhow...
A reminder: Halo customs in two hours!

Be there at 9PM EST. Message "Pixelfox" aka Fuchsdhdhdh to get a piece of the action.
Misery loves company

Top Bottom