• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

Halo 1 - outsourced the dialogue writing (the writers never even saw the game)

Halo 2 - Blastacular Map Pack was done by CA.

Halo 3 - I dunno.

Halo ODST - The entirety of Sadie's Story was outsourced. Joe Staten recorded the voice of the Superintendent.

Reach - Everything past Noble was outsourced and done by CA.

Of course, they used contractors for the base game themselves. That's industry standard for the most part.

edit: technically Halo Wars sustain was outsourced to Robot Entertainment, but Robot was essentially the part of Ensemble that still wanted to do RTSes. 343 eventually took over Halo Wars after Robot moved on. 343's lone update for that game was fixing a bug with movie playback.
Is that correct? I've been a member of Robot Entertainment's (rather dead) forums since they created their site. From the get-go they were adamant that they had nothing to do with Halo Wars nor the sustain team.

From what I remember, when ES shut down, 343 took over the reigns. RE had nothing to do with the franchise but rather started focusing on small games like Orcs Must Die.

FyreWulff

Is that correct? I've been a member of Robot Entertainment's (rather dead) forums since they created their site. From the get-go they were adamant that they had nothing to do with Halo Wars nor the sustain team.

From what I remember, when ES shut down, 343 took over the reigns. RE had nothing to do with the franchise but rather started focusing on small games like Orcs Must Die.

That'd be weird for Robot to say that.. the Halo Wars website was even changed from Ensemble logos to Robot logos after they took over. There's still an article about Robot constructing a new test room for Halo Wars on the site. There's a whole bunch of other dev blogs from Robot on that site as well.

heckfu

Banned
Holy shit tonight was a blast. Awesome finally getting to meet Tuna after YEARS of being friends and always a pleasure being around Sai again.

Tunavi

Banned
6bDiMoNl.jpg

Madness

Just watched through the Global Championship final match again.

How anyone can say competitive Halo is unexciting I don't know. I knew the outcome and this still had me on the edge of my seat.

Who had ever said competitive Halo was unexciting? Halo is one of the few games that made MLG what it is today. It's one of the most exciting shooters and games to watch competitively. And it's ridiculous just how bad a shape competitive Halo is in, compared to Call of Duty. Hell, Halo is one of the only shooters I like watching other people play.

jem0208

Who had ever said competitive Halo was unexciting? Halo is one of the few games that made MLG what it is today. It's one of the most exciting shooters and games to watch competitively. And it's ridiculous just how bad a shape competitive Halo is in, compared to Call of Duty. Hell, Halo is one of the only shooters I like watching other people play.

I have read so many people who say competitive Halo is dead and boring to watch. I just can't understand it. It's awesome to watch. Certainly better than CoD. It's sad MLG are CoD only now.

Hey everyone, just shut up about

how free DLC makes the game better for those that originally payed full price for both the game and all the DLC because the content is more integrated into their online experience (not completely integrated because storage space is a non-trivial limitation)

because

Microsoft is giving the game away for free

that's right, for free

so long as you have a $60.00 per year subscription

free

GhaleonEB

Halo 1 - outsourced the dialogue writing (the writers never even saw the game)

Halo 2 - Blastacular Map Pack was done by CA.

Halo 3 - I dunno.

Halo ODST - The entirety of Sadie's Story was outsourced. Joe Staten recorded the voice of the Superintendent.

Reach - Everything past Noble was outsourced and done by CA.

Of course, they used contractors for the base game themselves. That's industry standard for the most part.

edit: technically Halo Wars sustain was outsourced to Robot Entertainment, but Robot was essentially the part of Ensemble that still wanted to do RTSes. 343 eventually took over Halo Wars after Robot moved on. 343's lone update for that game was fixing a bug with movie playback.
All correct, but to add some context, Bungie's obligation was for one map pack on Reach, at which point the support/sustain went to 343. So it really wasn't Bungie doing the outsourcing. (I know you know this, just making note of the transition timing.)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I haven't been keeping up with halo for a whole - have I missed much? Has 343 planned a halo 3 playlist consolidation?

No consolidation. However, they're "working closely with Xbox LIVE to ensure that players have a great experience with the Games with Gold program."

Hey everyone, just shut up about

how free DLC makes the game better for those that originally payed full price for both the game and all the DLC because the content is more integrated into their online experience (not completely integrated because storage space is a non-trivial limitation)

because

Microsoft is giving the game away for free

that's right, for free

so long as you have a $60.00 per year subscription

free

Actually the game stays even if your account goes silver also you can buy 1 month of gold for a specific free game if you want, even you can use a friend's gold account on your console and get the game for free too.

Half of a coffee shot!

belushy

Banned
I don't see why you guys are complaining. OG Halo 4 was $60 and GOTY Halo 4 is $40. That represents a decrease of twenty dollars - I could get my car washed or even get four cups of coffee with that. I don't understand why gamers are so entitled nowadays. Everything is advertised as-is and 343 has been nothing but straightforward with us about this release, and now you guys have the gall to complain about discounts? Fucking gamers, man.

Top Bottom