• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Yes, so Halo 4 is equally as competitive as Halo 2, or rock-paper-scissors for that matter. We all know that anything can be "competitive," but I'm posting under the assumption that we can all make some rational internal conclusions on our own here.

We can argue semantics to make a point, but when the point is asinine, why bother?

Along that line of logic, back to my original post, why would a competitive gamer be excited to play Halo 3 when they can just play Halo 4? They're both competitive, right?

To me it's more about a baseline assumption than a possibility.

BigShow36

What did you unlike about H3?
Details...

Slow kill speed, slow strafe, inconsistent weapons, lack of range on primary utility weapon, too much aim assist, constricted FOV. There are a lot of small things that could have been done better and had precedence for being done better, but those are more enhancements rather than necessities that ruined the experienced.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's not some arcane secret or flawed mechanic that has ruined competitive Halo, it's fundamental gameplay stuff.

Disconect

Neo Member
Slow kill speed, slow strafe, inconsistent weapons, lack of range on primary utility weapon, too much aim assist, constricted FOV. There are a lot of small things that could have been done better and had precedence for being done better, but those are more enhancements rather than necessities that ruined the experienced.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's not some arcane secret or flawed mechanic that has ruined competitive Halo, it's fundamental gameplay stuff.
(True)IFFF you play it today
Dont say it was not the shit in 2007 ;)

Halo 2/3 players are feeling that pain we felt now that Reach/4 changed up the game they loved. The only difference between then and now is that H2/H3 fans have a much louder voice that's yelling at this steadily declining multiplayer franchise.

You can't make the pain go away BigShow; you just have to live with it. Just bask in the hope that we may finally receive an unquestionably better Halo game on the Xbox One. Halo as a franchise was still in its prime back then, but now it's aging. Hopefully 343 knows what they need to do this time around.

Disconect

Neo Member
Halo 2/3 players are feeling that pain we felt now that Reach/4 changed up the game they loved. The only difference between then and now is that H2/H3 fans have a much louder voice that's yelling at this steadily declining multiplayer franchise.

You can't make the pain go away BigShow; you just have to live with it. Just bask in the hope that we may finally receive an unquestionably better Halo game on the Xbox One. Halo as a franchise was still in its prime back then, but now it's aging. Hopefully 343 knows what they need to do this time around.
Now your talking
THE worst thing that happen to Halo was P2P
My point of view

I don't get it either, maybe they realize the game was dead too.

Pro players moving on from Halo, Ghost retiring from Throwdown management, no Bullseye DLC at AGL, money is on Halo 3...
Sad to think that the Global Championship was just a month ago...
I really hope Halo 5 can reignite that competitive passion.

It is nice to see some older pros come back to play Halo 3. I wonder how successful they'll be.

Nebula

That Waypoint hate.

Bnet 4 lyfe

There isn't a next time for me Halo 4 was the last Halo title for me. Unless I hear ridiculously positive reviews about Halo 5/on Xbox One that is. Oh and not 9.8 out of 10 reviews dropped by IGN either, I'm talking players on forums giving feedback.

Disconect

Neo Member
That Waypoint hate.

Bnet 4 lyfe

There isn't a next time for me Halo 4 was the last Halo title for me. Unless I hear ridiculously positive reviews about Halo 5/on Xbox One that is. Oh and not 9.8 out of 10 reviews dropped by IGN either, I'm talking players on forums giving feedback.
Remember what they use to say?
(Believe)

Madness

I don't hate Waypointers.

I hate people with shit grammar.

BJScO1aCAAEP-s1.jpg

Our good friend Speedy lol. There was a discussion on gaming side regarding avatars, how they might not be brought back for Xbox One and people were like did anyone ever spend money on them and someone brought up Speedy's vid on YouTube showing how much he spent without knowing he was a fellow GAF'er.

When the heck was this? Also moment I saw the video got comments 2 hours ago I immediately came here to see if it was linked again. :p

Holy shiitttt. Speedy, what the fuck?
Can't say i'm surprised though.

EDIT: Why in the FUCK would you buy pom-poms, speedy?
It was the first thing I bought in 2009 when the store was added. I thought they were funny.

I probably bought like... 4 more things since that video was made. Hehe. It's pretty fun dressing up my avatar. Hope all items carry over to the Xbox One.

Nebula

When the heck was this? Also moment I saw the video got comments 2 hours ago I immediately came here to see if it was linked again. :p

It was the first thing I bought in 2009 when the store was added. I thought they were funny.

I probably bought like... 4 more things since that video was made. Hehe. It's pretty fun dressing up my avatar. Hope all items carry over to the Xbox One.

More stuff to add to your Bio Speedy.

Haven't they confirmed that Avatars aren't a thing on the XBO?

Those edges, lol. Those fingers are weird as well.

4 fingers is difficult to pull off well, so many cartoons/models just go 3 fingers. It is known. I used to buy avatar crap when points were so low avatar stuffs were the only thing you could buy. Now with points gone I don't see myself buying anything avatar related, unless a very compelling multiplayer avatar based game comes out. A Halo mini game in lobby/match-waiting using your Avatar would be pretty funny.

Apparently MS f*cked Xbone says CBOAT.
And that news makes me worried for the future of the console and the Halo franchise.

I was feeling pretty confident about purchasing the H4 GOTY edition and what a huge disappointment it turned out to be...
I planned on getting the new console and Halo 5 at the same day, but looks like that'll be years until a more powerful version of Xb1 is available and for Halo 5 to be playable at its full potential.

Booshka

And that news makes me worried for the future of the console and the Halo franchise.

I was feeling pretty confident about purchasing the H4 GOTY edition and what a huge disappointment it turned out to be...
I planned on getting the new console and Halo 5 at the same day, but looks like that'll be years until a more powerful version of Xb1 is available and for Halo 5 to be playable at its full potential.

If he is right that there are hardware issues akin to early life 360 and that they are struggling to get to 1080p for most titles, it's gonna be a pretty big deal. Especially since it is 100 bucks more expensive than PS4.

We'll see though.

Madness

At this point, I'd have preferred Sony increase their price by another $100 if it meant a stronger GPU as well. Or XbOne drop the Kinect and use that money to drop price, or beef up the hardware.

1080p/60 FPS gaming should be the norm next gen.

I have zero interest in the XbOne now. Fyre said it best, would rather probably just get Titanfall on x360 to play with the larger user base.

Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary, and maybe a trilogy release is all I care about, and at this point, don't know if it's worth it. PS4 looking more appealing everyday. Will have to hold controller though.

Omni

I don't care for 1080p. I know it's a tired response, but if I really cared about that stuff/was a complete graphics whore I'd buy a PC.

Obviously it's disappointing the X1 isn't more powerful, but the truth is that I can play Halo 3 - a game that isn't even standard HD - and still think that it looks great. The same with Reach. Even if most games on the X1 are lingering around 720 - 900p, that's no skin off my nose.

Has there even been any Mister Chief drawings in the Waypoint updates? Seems odd to put it out now.

Not that I have seen in 2.5 years over there. The article mentions it's MS driven and not Frankie's idea, he didn't have a clue what the back of Mister looked like for MS artists :)

Nebula

I don't care for 1080p. I know it's a tired response, but if I really cared about that stuff/was a complete graphics whore I'd buy a PC.

Obviously it's disappointing the X1 isn't more powerful, but the truth is that I can play Halo 3 - a game that isn't even standard HD - and still think that it looks great. The same with Reach. Even if most games on the X1 are lingering around 720 - 900p, that's no skin off my nose.

My issue is that a games console is usually the middle ground for those who want something that plays games at a decent standard without bothering with the hassle of setting up a PC/buying one. Xbone is looking more and more below average with each thing we hear about it. A decent rig can run games at 720p for cheaper, and with Steam and its never ending sales, why would I buy an Xbone?

It's simply paying more for less, and it's not worth it.

Also Madness, the controller adjustment is going to suck. Might end up looking at a third party xbox style controller myself, providing it doesn't break within a week like the one I bought for my Brothers PS3.

wwm0nkey

Well demo units of the PS4 will be at GS and BB sometime this month (hell maybe by this weekend) so if you want to try the controller out then go for it. I hear it being stretched out REALLY helped the feel of it.

Nebula

Well demo units of the PS4 will be at GS and BB sometime this month (hell maybe by this weekend) so if you want to try the controller out then go for it. I hear it being stretched out REALLY helped the feel of it.

Got to find a place in the UK near myself. Not heard anything yet though. Haven't really looked into it either though.

Good idea.

Hey guys, Halo is mom.

Your daily 'Halo is dead' reminder is brought to you by Daedalius, in partnership with Doritos.

Madness

Yup, plus it's more rounded and supposed to feel very snug in the hand with no awkward angles like the older dualshocks.

The "ergonomics" of it remind me of the Gamecube controller which was very comfortable to hold.

ps4-controller-side-view-playstation-dual-shock-4.jpg

gamecube+side.JPG

Or even the x360 controller too.

xbox+side+view.JPG

Then again, I'd have to play a few matches of Killzone or something on a demo unit, see how it feels, how it would be playing Like Destiny or other shooters and GTA type games.

FyreWulff

I'm not even remotely surprised. I'm not sure if they would've been able to, since the 2nd disc already has an 8 gig install on it, and i'm not sure if they could use a second install disc, maybe FyreWulff can shed some light on this.

They could bundle a DLC install disc in that worked like the Halo 2 map pack disc or the host of other DLC discs that installs the content to you're HDD but to save money they just added DLC codes. It's shitty but its pretty much 6 and 2 3's well it is until the content eventually gets pulled from the market placed and those wanted to have Halo 4 Lan events with DLC can't but people won't want to do that anyway.

(I'm bored) Yeah, the second disc could have been updated to include all the DLC on it if they had the space. Disc 1 doesn't care how the multiplayer content got there, just as long as it's valid content. It essentially loads the existing multiplayer like it's DLC anyway. They could at least make it install Forge Island and save people that download.

But it also depends on what the discs are like. If this is literally the same Disc 1 and Disc 2 that Halo 4 originally shipped with, Disc 1 can't load the later DLC, period, without being updated. In this way, it'd be easier to print codecards than re-cert Disc 1 and Disc 2. The codecards would also force you to be on Live and get the latest update to use the DLC.

I'd be interested to know if putting GOTY Halo 4 disc 1 prompts you for a title update, if anyone has it. Clear out your H4 title update if you already had the game before.

This is still a better solution than the Reach Anniversary disc though, because at least the GOTY version does not split Halo 4's playerbase.

edit: A thought just came to my head. Depending on how much disc space was left on Disc 1, there might not be enough room to include Halo 4's TU on it. Disc 2 would have to have the room to install the title update if it installed all the DLC. Hmm.

FyreWulff

Or you know, heaven forbid a 3rd mandatory install disc with TU and Map + Cosmetic installs.

Good luck getting a third disc without being a JRPG or a Collection :V

Remember, MS's publishing and marketing department prohibited 2-disc 360 games from being less than 60$. Hence why ODST ended up at 60$ and why Anniversary was single-disc. You only get a third disc if MS realllly needs your game for a certain market
Japan

Good luck getting a third disc without being a JRPG or a Collection :V

Remember, MS's publishing and marketing department prohibited 2-disc 360 games from being less than 60$. Hence why ODST ended up at 60$ and why Anniversary was single-disc. You only get a third disc if MS realllly needs your game for a certain market
Japan

Those 50GB Bluray discs are a must at this point, Microsoft not getting in with bluray on the ground floor and backing HD-DVD was a huge mistake.

FyreWulff

Those 50GB Bluray discs are a must at this point, Microsoft not getting in with bluray on the ground floor and backing HD-DVD was a huge mistake.

There were definitely some tradeoffs. The BR drives of the time were slower than DVD in terms of data speed so you had to have a hard drive for caching/installs to counter it. One of the big costs of the original Xbox was the hard drive included with all of them, so they wanted to be able to ship HDDless 360s.

Now though everyone (PS4,One,Wii U) have Blu Ray drives that are faster than the fastest DVD drive. First console generation where everyone has the same storage media. Should be pretty cool.

Madness

One of the biggest reasons HD-DVD failed was because Microsoft didn't back HD-DVD well enough. In the beginning, HD-DVD was the superior format. 30gb as opposed to single layer 25gb blu-ray which still didn't have a finalized profile.

Microsoft played it too safe and essentially handed Sony the format war. In 2006 and early 2007, almost every time someone came in to buy a blu-ray player, I recommended the PS3, not only was it significantly cheaper but upgradeable so that you could get all the updates such as BD-Live, profile 2.0 etc.

HD-DVD also had less risks as well because existing DVD production lines could easily be converted. By 2008, you had millions of ps3 owners and these people all backed blu-ray whereas only a handful of people had the HD-DVD add on. In the end, Sony's format won and now Microsoft lost out in its HD-i interactivity too for Java in blu-ray.

Edit: don't get me wrong, Microsoft was smart here. They rode out the generation using DVD, they didn't lose like Toshiba did, plus they will now adopt blu-ray well after the format war etc. They didn't really have any problem whether HD-DVD survived or not.

Nebula

I'm considering starting commentaries again, at least for a week or two anyway while Halo 3 is free. I got some stuff I'd like to get into a video.

Also it has been 6 months since Paul B made a video.

Every time I come across him on YouTube or on Twitter, I'm reminded that someone who used to be so positive about Halo quit because of Halo 4. He did a good thing though, he saw that he was becoming more negative and frustrated and removed himself from Halo so he didn't contribute negatively to the community.

Wish I could do the same but something holds me to it. I'm not even sure what anymore, but it's there.

Fuchsdh

I doubt the console will get much more powerful. More likely it will drop in price, get smaller and more efficient like this gen. Anyone who thinks the Xbox One won't be "powerful enough" (especially when devs aim for the lower spec) is crazy. (I also doubt the generation is going to last as long as this one.)

Also Cboat is like the perfect political pundit. He gets it wrong a lot of the time but people only remember when he was right.

Top Bottom