• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

My Halo crew left so anyone here want to play Ranked TS whenever?

Tread lightly dude. I played one game of ranked TS the other day, went up by 6 or so kills, all of a sudden one of the opposing guys starts moving at 500% speed and headshot sniping me through walls with a BR. They're probably revving up the J-tags for Wednesday's revival.

TheOddOne

The Wolf Amoung Us? Interested in feedback if you want to write a little about it.
Great music, voice acting, artstyle and the story arc is very well done. Not much interactivity (it is a Telltale game, so keep expectations in check), but that does not hamper the overall enjoyment.

Here are some FRAP screenshots I made of my playthrough:
jfKX57WWgpPfa.png

jDRvOahD3CTb.png

jup96skCkqZVd.png

jsofA5pqyP1ZZ.png

Great music, voice acting, artstyle and the story arc is very well done. Not much interactivity (it is a Telltale game, so keep expectations in check), but that does not hamper the overall enjoyment.

Here are some FRAP screenshots I made of my playthrough:

It looks like BioLAnds Noirdershock Infinite 2.

Bridging host
In social
In 2013

WOW.

There's still host booting, standby for respawns and network throttling cheating going on too. The last few weeks we've played Halo 3 on Thursday nights we've resorted to customs the host/cheating was that bad.

Halo 3 online sucks in 2013, especially for Aussie parties.

Remember how Reach's population exploded when the Halo 1 Pistol was re-introduced (almost immediately after it was correctly observed by 343 that the Halo 1 Pistol isn't really suited for a balanced sandbox anymore)? No?

Would people want all aspects of the gun? Leading didn't go over well with the Halo 3 BR. Nobody would want to learn how to lead the Halo 1 Pistol again. If you make it hitscan to counter latency, then you might as well go in and fix the bullet spread and bloom bug too. I remember all the bitching that fall damage disappeared in 2 and 3, and when Bungie brought it back for Reach.. people bitched they should take it out again, and it was gone in 4.

People want Halo back. They don't want the Pistol back. 2, 3, and Reach did fine without the H1 Pistol. ODST had a pistol that was even more redonkulus than the H1 pistol, but it worked because it was in a solo/co-op only game. So you could bring back the Halo 1 Pistol for campaign, sure, the fine elements of weapon balance don't matter there. In the multiplayer sandbox, weapons need to communicate their role visually and well, have a role. The Halo 1 Pistol fails at both.

Agreed and solid post mate.

There's still host booting, standby for respawns and network throttling cheating going on too. The last few weeks we've played Halo 3 on Thursday nights we've resorted to customs the host/cheating was that bad.

Halo 3 online sucks in 2013, especially for Aussie parties.

Agreed and solid post mate.

Any game online sucks for Aussies. I assume you were playing ranked? I played Halo 3 regularly for about a month leading up to GTA's release and never saw cheating in Social.

Yeah, kept thinking the whole time I was playing it that (almost) all female characters looked like Elizabeth or at least were made in that style. Not really a complaint though, it fits the noir style very well.

All those girls are elizabeth and that dude looks like John Marston and Hugh Jackman had a baby baptized in cougar's blood.

Any game online sucks for Aussies. I assume you were playing ranked? I played Halo 3 regularly for about a month leading up to GTA's release and never saw cheating in Social.

Both ranked and social, party leader changes things up. Reach and 4 are far better at anti-host bridging and regional host selection/country player matching. All suffer from low populations pools for local Aussie players though, I don't blame the games for that. Being a 50 in ranked objective from Australia in 3 prepared me for population drops in Reach and Halo 4 :)

We've had cheating in both with more prevalence in ranked of course.

Just curious. How many people apart of HaloGAF who are getting a PS4 first, would buy an Xbox One on the spot if Halo 5 was like Halo 2/3?
I'm almost surely getting a PS4 first, with Destiny probably.*

If Halo 5, was really as good as Halo 3's Campaign & Multiplayer (how do you quantify something so subjective), then yes, I would want to play it.
But there is no way to know that before release, at release or even the first few weeks after. It takes time for the hype to settle down and people understand how they feel about each component of the package.

*Pending a lack of PC version unveiling

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just curious. How many people apart of HaloGAF who are getting a PS4 first, would buy an Xbox One on the spot if Halo 5 was like Halo 2/3?

I'd really want an Xbox One, but the more I think about it, I dunno if $500 + $60 for live and another $60 for the game would be worth it.

If there was a bundle or a deal on Black Friday, I'd probably bite. I love Sony's exclusives, but they don't come close to old school Halo. I'd still use the PS4 as my primary console though (especially if the rumors about superior multiplats prove true).

gAg CruSh3r

I will get one sooner or later but I'm not a big fan of Sony's exclusive games. I will be getting a XboxOne first but Halo 5 I will get no matter what. To be honest Halo 2 was the better Halo then Halo 3.

Halo 4 feels a lot better now and I hope they have some kind of feel between Halo 4 and Halo 2. I just want AA gone bring back power ups. Just keep sprint. No ordnance drop (keep only in customs) unless it's weapons drop. Please for the sake of Halo; more and better area maps.

I'm not getting either console right off the bat, but Halo 5 could be CE2 for all I care. It doesn't mean shit if people don't come back to play it. I think that's part of the reason why Halo 4 and to a lesser extent Reach sucked so much; people just started leaving the community.

willow ve

Would have picked it up for Christmas with a true return to Halo. Now I'll wait for a sale or for Borderlands 3. Maybe get it for Destiny. Halo isn't a console mover for me anymore.

Zoolader

I'm having a tough time choosing between a new xboxlive subscription or the new pokeman game. Where are all those stinking xboxlive sub deals when you need them!

Cow

Shout outs to Heckfu and Tunavi and myself for spending 7 hours in line waiting to see an impromptu Atoms for Peace show last night! Pizza and cider! Lots of rain! Pokemon battles! #freespot

respect haha did they just randomly announce a gig?

I will go for the PS4 this time,Halo is the only game I care on Xbox and the Xbone is at $800 no way I would buy the console at that price and most of the services are blocked for Mexico till next year like always.

See you starside Halo, I will wait for a price reduction.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Xbox One games will cost $90 vs PS4 games at $60

I will go for the PS4 this time,Halo is the only game I care on Xbox and the Xbone is at $800 no way I would buy the console at that price and most of the services are blocked for Mexico till next year like always.

See you starside Halo, I will wait for a price reduction.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Xbox One games will cost $90 vs PS4 games at $60

wat

wwm0nkey

Still wonder how bad it will be for MS if the 900p thing is true, it will mean the IQ for PS4 version of games will be better if running at 1080p.

MS is ajusting theirs prices according to the region they are selling the games (RIP Microsoft points) so screw mexico because we pay more taxes even the digital versions are more expensive than the retail game while Sony doesnt care and you can buy their games according the US prices also you can buy the digital version in dollars to avoid regional taxes.

Fuchsdh

is anyone buying an xbox one?

Eventually. I really have no interest in a PS4, even before all this 180 stuff.

Still wonder how bad it will be for MS if the 900p thing is true, it will mean the IQ for PS4 version of games will be better if running at 1080p.

I wouldn't be surprised, and I don't understand why gamers should be either. We were barely getting 720p on many games this gen (I just realized Skyrim seems to shave a few pixels off the top and bottom of my screen) . At worst, we'll have to wait a year or two. But I highly doubt we'll be seeing 1080p60 from all the PlayStation's games, especially later on in the lifecycle. They may simply have more horsepower to hide the fact right now with games that aren't heavily optimized for the hardware.

I have to laugh at all the people doing bicubic resamples of images to simulate upscaling in the other thread. People who want to pretend like the rest of the console wars never showed that graphics ultimately don't matter. Get the console that fits you and shut the hell up.

Whoever gets the Boltshot one is immediately deemed a BK.

Hate me all you want, I love the design of the Boltshot. It does a fairly good job hewing to the Forerunner aesthetic and Forerunner weapons we saw previously, and it was a surprisingly fun weapon to use in campaign.

I'll probably get the inevitable Slim 1TB HD version release that'll be out next year.

In a similar mindset. Dunno if they'll actually have a slim within a year but at least they'll prolly have updated SKUs and should have ironed out any possible manufacturing issues (I doubt we're going to have a RRoD situation on our hands if they feel confident enough to boost clock speeds though. The advantage of a humongous case.)

Also I want a white stormtrooper one.

wwm0nkey

Eventually. I really have no interest in a PS4, even before all this 180 stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised, and I don't understand why gamers should be either. We were barely getting 720p on many games this gen (I just realized Skyrim seems to shave a few pixels off the top and bottom of my screen) . At worst, we'll have to wait a year or two. But I highly doubt we'll be seeing 1080p60 from all the PlayStation's games, especially later on in the lifecycle. They may simply have more horsepower to hide the fact right now with games that aren't heavily optimized for the hardware.

I have to laugh at all the people doing bicubic resamples of images to simulate upscaling in the other thread. People who want to pretend like the rest of the console wars never showed that graphics ultimately don't matter. Get the console that fits you and shut the hell up.

Hate me all you want, I love the design of the Boltshot. It does a fairly good job hewing to the Forerunner aesthetic and Forerunner weapons we saw previously, and it was a surprisingly fun weapon to use in campaign.
Yeah the Dark Soul's images on the other thread are a bit ridiculous, but I think the power differences still do and will matter late in then gen. It could mean 720/30FPS on Xbox and 720/60FPS on PS4. Though like you said, get the console that fits you.

I honestly feel like the Boltshot was too "chunky" for how small it was to be Forerunner tech. If we got another Promethean pistol, I'd rather it be a little bit more skeletal and angular compared to how blocky and thick the Boltshot was. A more fully-realized version of this, for example:

463px-H3-SentinelConstructor.png

Fuchsdh

Yeah the Dark Soul's images on the other thread are a bit ridiculous, but I think the power differences still do and will matter late in then gen. It could mean 720/30FPS on Xbox and 720/60FPS on PS4. Though like you said, get the console that fits you.

It would obviously depend on the developer, but I think most multiplats wouldn't go that route. I dunno if the gameplay ramifications would complicate things, but I don't think it might always be as simple as "well we coded it to run at twice the frame rate". We'll certainly see down the line, though--that will be interesting.

I honestly feel like the Boltshot was too "chunky" for how small it was to be Forerunner tech. If we got another Promethean pistol, I'd rather it be a little bit more skeletal and angular compared to how blocky and thick the Boltshot was. A more fully-realized version of this, for example:

463px-H3-SentinelConstructor.png

Fair point. I think it's got a great silhouette but you're right about the "chunk" (which is sort of odd considering that they didn't make the Forerunner structures or design on a macro scale bulky at all--it's far more streamlined than Bungie's Steelrunner designs.)

Remember how Reach's population exploded when the Halo 1 Pistol was re-introduced (almost immediately after it was correctly observed by 343 that the Halo 1 Pistol isn't really suited for a balanced sandbox anymore)? No?

Would people want all aspects of the gun? Leading didn't go over well with the Halo 3 BR. Nobody would want to learn how to lead the Halo 1 Pistol again. If you make it hitscan to counter latency, then you might as well go in and fix the bullet spread and bloom bug too. I remember all the bitching that fall damage disappeared in 2 and 3, and when Bungie brought it back for Reach.. people bitched they should take it out again, and it was gone in 4.

People want Halo back. They don't want the Pistol back. 2, 3, and Reach did fine without the H1 Pistol. ODST had a pistol that was even more redonkulus than the H1 pistol, but it worked because it was in a solo/co-op only game. So you could bring back the Halo 1 Pistol for campaign, sure, the fine elements of weapon balance don't matter there.

This is why Halo is where it is today, because of this refusal to accept that this mentality is false.

Bold 1: Reach Anniversary was complete crap and it's shocking to see you use the same argument Ozzy did many moons ago. Also funny to see Ozzy like your post lol

Bold 2: You're talking about leading in a game where it's universal agreed that Halo 3's netcode was complete shit on an inconsistent, burst-fire weapon? And who says no one would want to learn the Pistol again.. It's such a satisfying weapon once you get better with it and no other weapon has come close feeling as rewarding.

Bold 3: Yeah people want Halo back, but the there are people who want Halo back. I am one of those people.

Remember, if they did bring the Pistol back it doesn't have to be a weapon you spawn with if it remains anything close to what it was, considering if 343 didn't balance the other weapons properly anyway.

In the multiplayer sandbox, weapons need to communicate their role visually and well, have a role. The Halo 1 Pistol fails at both.

As far as this comment, let's remember we're playing a game and people don't have the memories of a goldfish. After you shoot a weapon a few times, you know what it does. A Rocket doesn't have to be gigantic just like a skill-based precision weapon that has the potential to kill fast doesn't have to be a rifle.

Stop treating your fanbase like idiots.

ALSO, how many times must I say to you people that I understand a complete rip of the H1 Pistol in any current Halo sandbox would be overpowered? Et tu, Fyre?

Blueblur1

I would consider it but would wait for the game to get into savvy Halo fan's hands to confirm. It would have to hit on all the right notes though which has a 99.99% chance of happening, unfortunately. Plus, I'd have to be able to buy an Xbox One without a Kinect.

BigShow36

High skill curves and a 3SK utility weapon you get every spawn does not compute.

Play me 1v1 in Halo CE and we'll fix that programming.

But back to FUNKOWN's post, I personally don't want a weapon like the pistol in a Halo game unless the game had a skill curve that could hold it. Dumping the CE pistol into a game like Halo 2 or 3 would be a disaster; it would become the all-powerful killing machine that ignoramuses currently think it was in CE. The reason the CE pistol worked was because of the entire weapon sandbox and player movement; it simply wouldn't work in any of the "modern" Halo games.

I would consider it but would wait for the game to get into savvy Halo fan's hands to confirm. It would have to hit on all the right notes though which has a 99.99% chance of happening, unfortunately. Plus, I'd have to be able to buy an Xbox One without a Kinect.
did you mean 99.99% chance of not happening?

Top Bottom