• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

TvBMkLb.png
Is that a spartan?

Well demo units of the PS4 will be at GS and BB sometime this month (hell maybe by this weekend) so if you want to try the controller out then go for it. I hear it being stretched out REALLY helped the feel of it.

Is why I am getting PS4 and rolling with that for a year. Let MS sort this thing out.

Fuchsdh

Very cool sounding. I'll have to test it at HBO customs. Constantly surprised at people's ingenuity. Still have to figure out how they made the driverless Warthogs in that Jurassic Park mode we played.

I'm considering starting commentaries again, at least for a week or two anyway while Halo 3 is free. I got some stuff I'd like to get into a video.

Also it has been 6 months since Paul B made a video.

Every time I come across him on YouTube or on Twitter, I'm reminded that someone who used to be so positive about Halo quit because of Halo 4. He did a good thing though, he saw that he was becoming more negative and frustrated and removed himself from Halo so he didn't contribute negatively to the community.

Wish I could do the same but something holds me to it. I'm not even sure what anymore, but it's there.

Props to him. I don't see the point in raging at something you hate or that frustrates you to such a degree. You make a louder statement leaving it behind.

And what do you commentate?

Nebula

Holy shit, BRs on Guardian first game. Halo 3 is so gooooooood.

Sorry about the disconnect. Internet went down and apparently Virgin Media are doing some stuff to the streets cable box so I might be dropping off often.

And what do you commentate?

Not sure what you're asking me. That sentence has my baffled and I don't know why :(. My YouTube channel is RRAAAAAWWWWWWWR if you want a look/listen, there are a few Halo 4 vids w/ commentary near the bottom of my uploaded videos.

I had a channel prior to that one with a lot more content but I wanted a fresh start because I got a HDPVR (was using a dazzle before.)

Holy shit, BRs on Guardian first game. Halo 3 is so gooooooood.

Even with all of its problems, if Halo 3 had a 2x 4sk ZB DMR I would've liked it a lot more. That BR + netcode combo was just too much crap.

It's just too bad that those maps had Halo 3 gameplay; any map in Halo 3 + Halo 1 gameplay = more fun than it was in Halo 3. I believe in bad gameplay before I believe in bad maps, although obviously that's not always the case. Halo needs its winning formula again and there is one true way to blow people away:

If 343 revealed multiplayer with this in your hand:
Halo_CEA_Magnum.jpg

I'm not crazy. People will go batshit insane if they release a montage of sexy Pistol action. There is this inner feeling we all have, whether you're aware of it or not, that involves this weapon associating with Halo's identity; this is how you save Halo.

Booties

Banned

Nope.

Even with all of its problems, if Halo 3 had a 2x 4sk ZB DMR I would've liked it a lot more. That BR + netcode combo was just too much crap.

It's just too bad that those maps had Halo 3 gameplay; any map in Halo 3 + Halo 1 gameplay = more fun than it was in Halo 3. I believe in bad gameplay before I believe in bad maps, although obviously that's not always the case. Halo needs its winning formula again and there is one true way to blow people away:

Halo_CEA_Magnum.jpg

I'm not crazy. People will go batshit insane if they release a montage of sexy Pistol action. There is this inner feeling we all have, whether you're aware of it or not, that involves this weapon associating with Halo's identity; this is how you save Halo.

I haven't had any bullshit games with netcode, but I remember. A DMR would be great in Halo 3, but I still love it the way it is.

FyreWulff

Halo_CEA_Magnum.jpg

Remember how Reach's population exploded when the Halo 1 Pistol was re-introduced (almost immediately after it was correctly observed by 343 that the Halo 1 Pistol isn't really suited for a balanced sandbox anymore)? No?

Would people want all aspects of the gun? Leading didn't go over well with the Halo 3 BR. Nobody would want to learn how to lead the Halo 1 Pistol again. If you make it hitscan to counter latency, then you might as well go in and fix the bullet spread and bloom bug too. I remember all the bitching that fall damage disappeared in 2 and 3, and when Bungie brought it back for Reach.. people bitched they should take it out again, and it was gone in 4.

People want Halo back. They don't want the Pistol back. 2, 3, and Reach did fine without the H1 Pistol. ODST had a pistol that was even more redonkulus than the H1 pistol, but it worked because it was in a solo/co-op only game. So you could bring back the Halo 1 Pistol for campaign, sure, the fine elements of weapon balance don't matter there. In the multiplayer sandbox, weapons need to communicate their role visually and well, have a role. The Halo 1 Pistol fails at both.

Remember how Reach's population exploded when the Halo 1 Pistol was re-introduced (almost immediately after it was correctly observed by 343 that the Halo 1 Pistol isn't really suited for a balanced sandbox anymore)? No?

Would people want all aspects of the gun? Leading didn't go over well with the Halo 3 BR. Nobody would want to learn how to lead the Halo 1 Pistol again. If you make it hitscan to counter latency, then you might as well go in and fix the bullet spread and bloom bug too. I remember all the bitching that fall damage disappeared in 2 and 3, and when Bungie brought it back for Reach.. people bitched they should take it out again, and it was gone in 4.

People want Halo back. They don't want the Pistol back. 2, 3, and Reach did fine without the H1 Pistol. ODST had a pistol that was even more redonkulus than the H1 pistol, but it worked because it was in a solo/co-op only game. So you could bring back the Halo 1 Pistol for campaign, sure, the fine elements of weapon balance don't matter there. In the multiplayer sandbox, weapons need to communicate their role visually and well, have a role. The Halo 1 Pistol fails at both.
Agreed, but I still want a 3sk/5sk utility weapon. Either a Human or Covy themed weapon. No more new promy weapons.

Sai-kun

Banned
Shout outs to Heckfu and Tunavi and myself for spending 7 hours in line waiting to see an impromptu Atoms for Peace show last night! Pizza and cider! Lots of rain! Pokemon battles! #freespot

TheOddOne

900x900px-LL-a514bf4b_clapping.gif

LOLok.

About the pistol, since most people consider the definitive Halo (in terms of multiplayer), Halo 2, since most of the multiplayer sandboxes have been based on that game, the pistol wouldn't work, plainly because of the Halo2/3/4 health system, its too quick of a kill time. But then you might rebuttal that a no aim-assist system would solve this problem. Actually, no it wouldn't because Halo 1/Anniversary and Halo 2/3/4 are basically two different franchises in terms of multiplayer. Halo 2's system was meant to be more fast-paced and not nessicarily more skill orientated, while Halo 1 was more a test of skill, but not something to play online, especially with the bad connections back in the day.

FyreWulff

Agreed, but I still want a 3sk/5sk utility weapon. Either a Human or Covy themed weapon. No more new promy weapons.

It needs to sit somewhere in that sweet spot of utility where you can do stuff off spawn, but still need to find/use/secure better weapons (and therefore get rewarded for getting those better weapons), defend yourself, but also reward teams that teamshoot.

A 3SK weapon that does that would shoot so slow it'd be more irritating to use than the Halo 3 Pistol. A good utility weapon is probably going to be somewhere in that 4-5-6 SK range.

Also for some reason I just remembered that Elites were 6SK in Reach. They deshield on the 5th shot from a DMR or Magnum. I wonder how many people noticed this in Invasion.

After LANing Halo CE a few weeks ago, I've realized that game is really only good when you're playing 1v1 or 2v2, anything more is a mess.

343 needs to build off Halo 2/3.

Scrap all the new stuff from Reach/4 and go back to what worked best.

TCKaos

Also for some reason I just remembered that Elites were 6SK in Reach. They deshield on the 5th shot from a DMR or Magnum. I wonder how many people noticed this in Invasion.

I did, but I think that's because all I did was play Invasion. It was my favorite gametype and it got treated like shit with no substantial update until just before the release of Halo 4, with maps that don't really play that well in my opinion.

I'd pay good money for a Halofield spin-off where you play as a Spartan or Elite in massive teams in huge, objective based games.

Promethean weapons would be fine if they could come up with better designs. 3-second flashbacks in Halo: Legends had more interesting weapons than Halo 4 did.

I think the context of the 3sk is that it would actually be pretty hard to land those three shots, so minimum kill time is significantly less than average time because people are going to be missing shots most of the time. I think that would be an interesting dynamic to try (fingers crossed for real custom games options in Halo 5one), but I'm not sure it would survive the fuzziness of online play and seem pretty random.

FyreWulff

I did, but I think that's because all I did was play Invasion. It was my favorite gametype and it got treated like shit with no substantial update until just before the release of Halo 4, with maps that don't really play that well in my opinion.

Cartographers pushed for an update to that forever and we finally got it and put it together. A bit sad that you didn't like all the maps for it.

Probably should have set it up so Boneyard, Spire, or Breakpoint were guaranteed to show up in slot 1 though (went to play it recently, it was a bit heavy on only offering forge maps)

Fuchsdh

Cartographers pushed for an update to that forever and we finally got it and put it together. A bit sad that you didn't like all the maps for it.

Probably should have set it up so Boneyard, Spire, or Breakpoint were guaranteed to show up in slot 1 though (went to play it recently, it was a bit heavy on only offering forge maps)

Invasion turning into a slaughterfest the final round is what turned me off, Forge Maps or no. Dominion and Conversion don't quite scratch the same itch but I feel like there's less "drown the enemy in our blood" on the attacking side.

TCKaos

It might not be the maps so much as the fact that the playerbase has been much less than optimal for obvious reasons after Halo 4's release. I've yet to complete an entire 6v6 match on the new maps.

FyreWulff

Invasion turning into a slaughterfest the final round is what turned me off, Forge Maps or no. Dominion and Conversion don't quite scratch the same itch but I feel like there's less "drown the enemy in our blood" on the attacking side.

Yep, that was definitely an issue with teams just killgrinding in phase 3. Dominion has less of it, I think, because the game perpetually moves forward towards the victory condition regardless if you're just barely holding on to the points or are steamrolling the other team. You can't prevent yourself from winning.

In Invasion, if you're dominating you can just turn phase 3 into a kill ratio boost session, because the win condition isn't moving forward without your furthered input.

Perhaps they should have invisibly run Phase 3 as a Slayer match in the script, and if the other team is at +30 or +40 it ends the round on mercy rules.

Karl2177

Yep, that was definitely an issue with teams just killgrinding in phase 3. Dominion has less of it, I think, because the game perpetually moves forward towards the victory condition regardless if you're just barely holding on to the points or are steamrolling the other team. You can't prevent yourself from winning.

In Invasion, if you're dominating you can just turn phase 3 into a kill ratio boost session, because the win condition isn't moving forward without your furthered input.
I know that Invasion was pushing the limits of what Megalo could have done at the time, but it would theoretically be possible to have the final phase be a 50 point limit where capturing the core netted 50 points or each kill being worth a point.

heckfu

Banned
I think I'm actually excited to play Halo 3. I didn't love it (I haven't really loved a Halo game since 2, but 3 is an easy favorite of the ones released since 2008) but it'll just be nice having the old crew online again.

CyReN

I think I'm actually excited to play Halo 3. I didn't love it (I haven't really loved a Halo game since 2, but 3 is an easy favorite of the ones released since 2008) but it'll just be nice having the old crew online again.

I'll be on tonight if you want to play.

Halo 3 should be free later tomorrow night also for those waiting.

Booties

Banned

It's gonna be tight. I got thursday to myself. so pumped.

Top Bottom