• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I still don't understand how you CE guys can still discuss a franchise that you consider to have sucked since 2004

Because I've explained many times that I still thoroughly enjoy this silly franchise since there's nothing else like it. It's in my heart, I bleed for this stupid game and want nothing more than to experience peaceful days of rewarding Pistol/strafe battles in a properly balanced sandbox on high quality maps.

The DMR is the closest thing I've got to the Pistol so I'd be 100% ok with removing bloom, making it a 2x zoom, 4sk and reducing the aim assist to what the H1 Pistol was. Why are we balancing the game around an inconsistent burst-fire weapon over a precise, single shot one?

My philosophies have been pretty different from Bungie's, but seeing as how Halo 4 at least somewhat broke that cycle of having better gameplay than its predecessor, I'm willing to give 343 a fair chance on the Xbox One. They just need to cut the nonsense and give us the options for not only a great Halo game, but a great next gen gaming experience.

Halo 3 had more jaggies than marathon, preorder canceled

They're "waiting for the next great installment" aka too bored to bother moving on and as a result spew hot, salty fluids in the hair that is halogaf's conversations

You know how people give you shit about wasting your time when in reality those gifs probably took you 10 minutes? It's the same shit here, I could be taking a dump and posting high quality words of wisdom.

EDIT:
Could you though?

You'll get there one day. Maybe.

Madness

I agree. I mean I loved the hell out of Halo:CE as I'm sure all of us did. It's what brought most of us into this series. But my love for the franchise, only grew with Halo 2 and Halo 3, not diminished.

Sure some design mechanics are iffy, especially when you think of how it affects competitive gameplay, but come on.

Last week, someone wrote they'd rather play/enjoy CoD games than most Halo games post-CE.

FUNKNOWN iXi said:
You know how people give you shit about wasting your time when in reality those gifs probably took you 10 minutes? It's the same shit here, I could be taking a dump and posting high quality words of wisdom.

Could you though?

Dat population

amX58w9_460sa.gif

I guess Halo 5 will be Halo 2, again.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I don't have much to say about Halo 3. It just feels stale to me. I played it a few hours yesterday and today, and it isn't all that fun. I still prefer Reach MLG or Anniversary Slayer above any other currently online Halo. Halo 4 is cool as long as I get a match with decent settings. I haven't played the game in a while and am pretty surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

Also, holy shit, Halo 4 has so many slayer variants now. It's ridiculous. Legendary Slayer, Legendary Slayer BRs, Slayer Pro, Team Slayer, Infinity Slayer -- most of which are all in the Team Slayer playlist, I think? It's a mess.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Eh, I don't have much to say about Halo 3. It just feels stale to me. I played it a few hours yesterday and today, and it isn't all that fun. I still prefer Reach MLG or Anniversary Slayer above any other currently online Halo. Halo 4 is cool as long as I get a match with decent settings. I haven't played the game in a while and am pretty surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

Also, holy shit, Halo 4 has so many slayer variants now. It's ridiculous. Legendary Slayer, Legendary Slayer BRs, Slayer Pro, Team Slayer, Infinity Slayer -- most of which are all in the Team Slayer playlist, I think? It's a mess.

Cuttin' me deep, man

Am I seeing things or are there more people on Halo 3 than H4 right now?

If the number that was posted earlier (Nowise had 25k I think?), then yeah there are more on H3 than H4.

FyreWulff

I would love to multiplay Halo games. Nice to have a variety of gameplay and gametypes. It just became unviable w/o consolidation, since it was no fun to switch away from Reach where I could have 5 games within an hour with minimal downtime to waiting an hour to get one game in 3. While 3 is actually playable again now without feeling like wasting time (except for Actionsack, rip in peace Actionsack) it's not going to last forever, and it's not going to last as long as it could without consolidation.

Had some really fun customs earlier with Ody, Doziz, Dax, Juices and co. Probably helped the host was decent. Bad thing about Halo 3 is going into matchmaking and it chooses a shit-tastic host and you threw a grenade and then the grenade takes two seconds to leave your body and bleeeeeegh. Reach/4's netcode has spoiled me. You just see constant rewinds, unexplainable deaths, and phasing going on during Halo 3 games.

Strange, i know older games that still have working counters.

I imagine those games have the benefit of not being passed between companies, though. 343 also seems to be against making 24 UU statistics publically available for any of the Halo games via Waypoint.

Fuchsdh

I'm enjoying Halo 4 more.

As long as I can manage to get matches with no armor abilities, no perks, and no ordnance drops.

Eh I'd largely agree with you, but it's a matter of fighting against way better players (Throwdown) or being a crapshoot as to what experience you'll get. Still quite fun but heavily inconsistent and I can certainly see why that turns people off. Plus, nostalgia.

People really do, and I have no idea why.

Bungie_logo.png

I can't recall a single person ever saying, "Well this weapon is fun and all but it's stupid that it's a Pistol. Hopefully Bungie makes it crap next game and replaces it with a inconsistent burst-fire weapon."

Bungie put it into people's minds that the Pistol (as a Pistol) was overpowered while promoting this wonderful new weapon that will be Halo's new baby: the BR. It was part of their design; they wanted to change Halo because they weren't too good at it. This goes into the whole mentality of "We don't design the game for the fans. We make the games we want to play." which is perfectly fine except people had the misconception that Bungie actually listened to the fans more than they did.

It's not BS. For those who remember, the Halo 2 BR at launch was complete trash and Bungie had to patch it. Then come Halo 3 and Bungie made it that way again while also taking out hitscan. It's by design to give players inconsistencies and more randomness, while throwing in even more crutches into an already accessible game. Several of these examples..

Perception is reality and all that, so when you have the people who created the game spewing out these comments that don't make any sense during a time when the internet was still in its infancy with social connectivity/interactions, you can understand a little more as to why Halo 1 fans hold that game so closely.

I don't know. I currently don't have any co-hosts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbn6o5tiPds

COMIN' AT YOU LIVE, IT'S 34.3 FM, TOSHI AND THE ZERO

G-G-G-GET OVER HERE

*banshee flight sfx*

TRIPLE KILL! OVERKILL. KILLING SPREE!

*pouring coke into cup full of ice sfx*

TODAY'S HOTTEST HALO NEWS...

BY THE COOLEST HALO DUUUUDES.

*br four-shot sfx*

OHHHH THAT AIN'T FALCO

*mjolnir mix riff*

THIRTY-FOUR-POINT-THREE EFF EMMMMM.

Wake me... when you need me.

TOASTYYYY!

daedalius

COMIN' AT YOU LIVE, IT'S 34.3 FM, TOSHI AND THE ZERO

G-G-G-GET OVER HERE

*banshee flight sfx*

TRIPLE KILL! OVERKILL. KILLING SPREE!

*pouring coke into cup full of ice sfx*

TODAY'S HOTTEST HALO NEWS...

BY THE COOLEST HALO DUUUUDES.

*br four-shot sfx*

OHHHH THAT AIN'T FALCO

*mjolnir mix riff*

THIRTY-FOUR-POINT-THREE EFF EMMMMM.

Wake me... when you need me.

TOASTYYYY!

This post is far more entertaining than the one directly before it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Like Fyrewulff mentioned before, having a pistol as powerful as the one in Halo 1 doesn't work well because it doesn't visually communicate that it's powerful. People won't naturally think that it's worth using until they start using it or get killed by it over and over again. That said, they could've easily just reskinned it as a rifle which is something Bungie tried to do with the DMR in Reach. But then bloom and a 5-shot-kill happened among other things.

This post is far more entertaining than the one directly before it.
Please tell us more about good posts.

Bungie_logo.png

I can't recall a single person ever saying, "Well this weapon is fun and all but it's stupid that it's a Pistol. Hopefully Bungie makes it crap next game and replaces it with a inconsistent burst-fire weapon."

Bungie put it into people's minds that the Pistol (as a Pistol) was overpowered while promoting this wonderful new weapon that will be Halo's new baby: the BR. It was part of their design; they wanted to change Halo because they weren't too good at it. This goes into the whole mentality of "We don't design the game for the fans. We make the games we want to play." which is perfectly fine except people had the misconception that Bungie actually listened to the fans more than they did.

It's not BS. For those who remember, the Halo 2 BR at launch was complete trash and Bungie had to patch it. Then come Halo 3 and Bungie made it that way again while also taking out hitscan. It's by design to give players inconsistencies and more randomness, while throwing in even more crutches into an already accessible game. Several of these examples..

Perception is reality and all that, so when you have the people who created the game spewing out these comments that don't make any sense during a time when the internet was still in its infancy with social connectivity/interactions, you can understand a little more as to why Halo 1 fans hold that game so closely.
I've heard BigShow say he doesn't play Halo PC because it feels off, and that leads me to believe that designing for a 2004 internet infrastructure is what informed many of the gameplay mechanics. Although you do netplay N64 emulators, so maybe that excuse isn't going to fly.

Nothing new. @3:19 MS has been really focusing on Tv, Xbox, App devices for user/player interaction.

Elam Lee: A week-plus after Microsoft launched its more entertainment-focused Xbox One, Elan Lee has been tapped as Chief Design Officer at Xbox Entertainment Studios, the unit run since September by former CBS Inc. No. 2 Nancy Tellem. After starting his career at Microsoft Game Studios as Lead Designer on the original Xbox, he left to co-found and serve as VP of 42 Entertainment, the company behind the immersive “Why So Serious?” campaign for The Dark Knight. After that he launched Fourth Wall Studios, where he was Chief Creative Officer. Based in Los Angeles, Lee will report to Tellem.

From what I gathered what can possibly be gabout Halo Tv Interactivity so far: http://fourthwallstudios.com/about

Duji

Like Fyrewulff mentioned before, having a pistol as powerful as the one in Halo 1 doesn't work well because it doesn't visually communicate that it's powerful. People won't naturally think that it's worth using until they start using it or get killed by it over and over again. That said, they could've easily just reskinned it as a rifle which is something Bungie tried to do with the DMR in Reach. But then bloom and a 5-shot-kill happened among other things.

It's only confusing for newbies in their first few games. But yes, it would definitely be better if they skinned it as a rifle.

We should all lobby for a 2x zoom, 4sk, no bloom, no spread precision rifle with a clip of at least 15 rounds. I really think that would make most people happy. It wouldn't stifle movement by having a ridiculous range, bullets would hit dead center, and the kill time would ideally be a bit faster than the H2 BR. Hitting a perfect 4-shot should be very difficult.

FYC

Banned
Top Bottom