• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Guys, wait for locobutts to confirm OR support for Prince of Persia, then we can confirm it for Halo 5

Question for the big stinkchilada: why did Neil Davidge get "top billing" on the OG Halo 4 OST (compared to Jinnouchi's one track), but then the Halo 4 Vol. 2 release was basically all Jinnouchi?

you just explained it in your question.

I will agree the H3 pistol is a heap of garbage. I haven't played enough H3 recently to have an updated opinion on it's weapon set compared to more recent entries.

All this talk of CE MP though makes me wish I had a chance to play more of it in it's hey day. I've played under 100 games of CE and basically feel like I can't comment either way on any of it's discussion because of it.

Yeah I always wanted to know two things:
  1. What would Halo be like if Bungie kept the Pistol as the utility weapon over the BR, but still added the BR to Halo 2 as the easier to pick-up-and-dominate weapon?
  2. What if the H1 Pistol had a DMR skin all along, would people even care for the BR?
I'll never know the answer to the first one unless they bring it back, but the second might be the case if the DMR was changed to not be as broken/easy to use. The DMR vs BR pre-4sk in H4 isn't a valid comparison either because the DMR outclassed it in every situation. These weapons need to be balanced more by difficulty of use rather than be built on a foundation that's extremely easy for all players to dominate with. Players need goals and milestones to reach that show their progression of skill with a weapon, not about how much time they play to unlock a shiny new gameplay-altering gadget.

1. What would Halo be like if Bungie kept the Pistol as the utility weapon over the BR, but still added the BR to Halo 2 as the easier to pick-up-and-dominate weapon?
  2. What if the H1 Pistol had a DMR skin all along, would people even care for the BR?
I'll never know the answer to the first one unless they bring it back, but the second might be the case if the DMR was changed to not be as broken/easy to use. The DMR vs BR pre-4sk in H4 isn't a valid comparison either because the DMR outclassed it in every situation. These weapons need to be balanced more by difficulty of use rather than be built on a foundation that's extremely easy for all players to dominate with. Players need goals and milestones to reach that show their progression of skill with a weapon, not about how much time they play to unlock a shiny new gameplay-altering gadget.

To your second point: that makes zero practical sense because it'd be classifying what we know as the "Halo DMR" as a completely different type of weapon. That's like saying "if the CE Pistol was skinned like an Energy Sword all along, would people long for the Energy Sword in future titles?" Besides, people would still care for the BR because the DMR would be severely nerfed in Halo 2 and arguably wouldn't make a substantial comeback until Halo 4, where it'd return as a suitably-powerful support weapon abandoned in favor of the Boltshot.

To your second point: that makes zero practical sense because it'd be classifying what we know as the "Halo DMR" as a completely different type of weapon. That's like saying "if the CE Pistol was skinned like an Energy Sword all along, would people long for the Energy Sword in future titles?" Besides, people would still care for the BR because the DMR would be severely nerfed in Halo 2 and arguably wouldn't make a substantial comeback until Halo 4, where it'd return as a suitably-powerful support weapon abandoned in favor of the Boltshot.

Function/gameplay over everything else. The H1 Pistol functioned nothing like the Sword, so that's a terrible example to bring up.

And lol.

EDIT:
Aren't you talking about skins though? The CE Magnum could look like a flamethrower-wielding narwhal in a banana hammock and it'd still have the same functions / inevitable nerfery in the sequels.

Yeah but comparing two weapons that have the same function/role in the sandbox, which is why I'd be fine with altering the DMR's properties.

Function/gameplay over everything else. The H1 Pistol functioned nothing like the Sword, so that's a terrible example to bring up.

And lol.

Aren't you talking about skins though? The CE Magnum could look like a flamethrower-wielding narwhal in a banana hammock and it'd still have the same functions / inevitable nerfery in the sequels.

Madness

Competitively people would use the H1 pistol over the H2 BR in Halo 2 then. Top players tend to use the best weapon available. As for general population, depends. Would they spawn with the pistol and BR? Most players would tend to use the BR initially until they would start to see the superiority of the pistol. It's just the way people have been ingrained to believe a large rifle, one that fires 3 bullets would theoretically be better.

As for the second part, same idea, though people would probably forgo the BR even more because they have a 'rifle' in their hands as it is.

It's only anecdotal but I found, that even with a superior weapon available, a lot of people tend to pick what is easiest to use. It's why people used dual smg, or use AR in Halo 3.

Obscured

I'm not doubting he's either an insider or a degree removed, who definitely knows things the average gamer doesn't.

But his batting average is certainly relevant. He might be wrong for a lot of reasons--his info is outdated, based on second-hand info (even an insider might not be on the "right" inside), or just plain wrong, happens to all of us. But as Frankie says, confirmation bias is a thing, and it leads to people believing a mountain of bullshit--witness how all these political pundits keep their jobs after making shitty predictions. Freakonomics suggests that an expert barely performs better than someone making random predictions. A large swatch of GAF has its head up its ass when it comes to this.

People saying "OMG CBOAT SEZ THIS WE ALL DOOMED" is a bunch of crock, but I'd rather have statistics to back it up. The entire problem is few people actually grab some salt grains to go with his babble.

This is kind of my take of it as well. Seems like he has info but the assumptions made from that info don't always follow, so it is always interesting to see what is said, but smart to wait and see how it plays out.

Damn this game. I was going to get started on some errands and then decided to start up Halo 3 because I haven't played the campaign in almost 5 years just to see then intro and then decided I needed to finish the first mission and then since it was in just a social slayer game. It sucks you in like no other. I did forget how often people quick at the start a match. What the hell? It is only social slayer, SOCIAL, just play for a bit, relax it will be fine.

Speaking of social/rank split, and reason to ever go into MLG alone? Is it worth it?

Fuchsdh

This is kind of my take of it as well. Seems like he has info but the assumptions made from that info don't always follow, so it is always interesting to see what is said, but smart to wait and see how it plays out.

Speaking of social/rank split, and reason to ever go into MLG alone? Is it worth it?

All I've been playing is Social Slayer since that's where the population is. Dunno what MLG is like.

What are the changes to base gameplay in MLG H3 besides 110% move speed, btw?

Overdoziz

Banned
Well, you're not gonna find any matches with a team so going in solo is the way to go.
MLG is honestly the only playlist in Halo 3 worth going into at this point. All other playlists are infested with AR starts, terrible maps and terrible gametypes.

Nebula

Well, you're not gonna find any matches with a team so going in solo is the way to go.
MLG is honestly the only playlist in Halo 3 worth going into at this point. All other playlists are infested with AR starts, terrible maps and terrible gametypes.

BTB.

BR Starts, Vehicles up the wazoo.

I pull host in it as well :)

Competitively people would use the H1 pistol over the H2 BR in Halo 2 then. Top players tend to use the best weapon available. As for general population, depends. Would they spawn with the pistol and BR? Most players would tend to use the BR initially until they would start to see the superiority of the pistol. It's just the way people have been ingrained to believe a large rifle, one that fires 3 bullets would theoretically be better.

As for the second part, same idea, though people would probably forgo the BR even more because they have a 'rifle' in their hands as it is.

It's only anecdotal but I found, that even with a superior weapon available, a lot of people tend to pick what is easiest to use. It's why people used dual smg, or use AR in Halo 3.

Yeah this is what I'm most curious about because in Gears Judgment for example, most people stuck with the Lancer/Retro/Hammerburst over the Markza even though the Markza was the most accurate, headshot capable and I believe killed the fastest.

When people doubt the Pistol's balance in Halo's sandbox I question if they've ever played other games that have that balance. You can balance a weapon by its difficult of use if it has the fastest kill time potential. It's just that many Halo players are so damn narrow-minded and form mentalities/opinions on the "theory" of something not working instead of trying to test/experience its balance.

I seriously hope there is more transparency going forward during Halo's pre and post release. A great example of this would be Double Helix and Killer Instinct. They're gaining a ton of fan support and will only build upon that momentum in the future, even though the game is only launching with 6 characters! People see where the focus is and how passionate they are for building a competitive fighter. Developers need to start adopting this type of culture instead of the corporate secrecy we've known for so long.

Obscured

I've been lucky and getting a fair amount of BR starts, but I also remember where BRs are so even for AR starts I am typically able to get a BR pretty quickly. So far in all of my games I've only had one Rockets match and one Duals match (Always comes up on Snowbound, why is that?). Not that I want to get my ass kicked in MLG, but it is always good to step it up a bit and if most are in there solo then I'll give it a try.

I'll get on customs tonight for sure. I just have to watch the Wild game from about 6-9 or so central time.

Don't do Omega Journey without me or there will be hell to pay.

IHaveIce

Banned
Don't forget Halo 3 HaloGAF Customs at 7pm Eastern tonight.

Dang I will hopefully be back until then.

GGs guys, So many goood games

The amount of good gametypes we had in Social Slayer was surprising.

Many Team BRs on The Pit or Guardian.

Also 2 flag on Midship <3

Madness

So many quitters and betrayers. Only a few matches of social slayer and social big team. Full of losers just talking shit in mic or quitting right after voting even though it's things like Team BR's. Now realize why 343 disabled friendly fire and why they added join in progress. Also remember why I kept everything on mute after 2010.

Freeser

After playing Halo 3 some more I have developed some thoughts on the direction that 343 should take to Halo 5 multiplayer. Rather than try to alter Halo into a COD/Halo hybrid to attract novice and casual gamers, I believe they need to brand Halo 5 as THE competitive console shooter. With the Xbones cloud servers at their disposal they should offer tournaments throughout the day that players/clans can sign up for to earn digital/real prizes and flair. In order for this to be successful 343 must to go back to the original Halo formula as it best showcases the skills of the gamer.

P.S. This is coming from a non competitive gamer that plays a couple hours a week when after my kid goes to bed.

Fuchsdh

Dual wielding Magnums >>>

How do the H3 magnums stack up against H2? I do remember that feeling first playing through the campaign, picking up a magnum and realizing it did absolutely nothing right at the get-go... and while Halo 3's version didn't have a scope and has a crazy slow RoF it at least *feels* like it packs a punch (even more so than Reach's and 4's, although the latter versions are more useful.)

Fracas

#fuckonami
How do the H3 magnums stack up against H2? I do remember that feeling first playing through the campaign, picking up a magnum and realizing it did absolutely nothing right at the get-go... and while Halo 3's version didn't have a scope and has a crazy slow RoF it at least *feels* like it packs a punch (even more so than Reach's and 4's, although the latter versions are more useful.)

lol nah, the H3 magnum is basically useless. It's ok when dual wielding though, and it's fun.

Dual wielding Magnums >>>

At launch, dual wielding Magnums in Halo 2 was disgustingg. Duals should've stayed powerful but balanced by adding more recoil or reducing aim assist, not by making each individual weapon weaker (ie: dual wielded H3 Magnum took 7 bullets to kill instead of the 5 if single wielded).

Backwards babby game design IMO.

Defect

Halo 5 should have LoL's way of dealing with quitters. Just put them back on the same team if they start searching until the match is over.

Halo 5 should have LoL's way of dealing with quitters. Just put them back on the same team if they start searching until the match is over.

Halo 4 already does this unintentionally.

EDIT: Unpopular opinion time! I know most of the games just have pre-existing music reels going over the credits in the first place, but I have to say Halo Wars has my favorite End Credits track in the entire franchise.

Maybe it's just because of the whole calm-martyesque-halo-space-electro-lounge-orchestral thing it's got going on, but it feels like a legitimate sendoff, which is doubly depressing considering A) Spirit of Fire's pretty much stuck in space forever and B) it was Ensemble's last game.

I actually love the precedent a couple of other companies have made for grouping bad behavior players together. Granted it only works with a large enough player population.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Everytime I get a 4sk with the BR

6MCTPHn.gif

Being able to strafe effectively again is so damn good too. I'll be there for customs. Hopefully my connection keeps up.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the same way. Although I still hate the feel of the H3 be.
Yeah, pretty much every other primary weapon in the history of Halo is better than the H3 BR. Excluding all the Halo 4 automatic rifles, of course.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually love the precedent a couple of other companies have made for grouping bad behavior players together. Granted it only works with a large enough player population.

Yea DotA has player reporting and low priority searching. It's pretty awesome.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What are you guys talking about? Halo 4 already had plenty of characters that used magic.
In Halo 5: Return of the Christ, Master Jesus Space Chief is gonna use his faith biotics to stop the Didact from activating the revelation relays which will allow the four reapers of the apocalypse to assume direct control over the flood spores.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah, pretty much every other primary weapon in the history of Halo is better than the H3 BR. Excluding all the Halo 4 automatic rifles, of course.

I kinda like it though. Aside from something like the rocket launcher, there's no weapon in Halo 3 that dominates the others. The BR's a good weapon to have, but it's a jack of all trades and master of nothing.

TheOddOne

In Halo 5: Return of the Christ, Master Jesus Space Chief is gonna use his faith biotics to stop the Didact from activating the revelation relays which will allow the four reapers of the apocalypse to assume direct control over the flood spores.
DINKLEBERG.

tumblr_loccq1nXh91qmubjzo1_400.gif

OddOne every time I see you're the latest post in this thread I hope it's somehow related to news you found or a linkedin profile of some new developer joining 343.

So what I'm trying to say is, please find some interesting news please haha.

Top Bottom