• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

more people are watching a UMG CoD tournament than halo 4 peaks at.

but hey, don't put a ranking system in your game. people aren't really interested in competitive play, even though its generally considered one of the things males look for in games.

and don't worry about things like customer feedback

and don't worry about a spectator mode since nobody will be playing your game let alone spectating it.

aoz5j5x_460sa.gif

Just let it go man and pray 343i get the idea what the audience wants for the sake of the franchise
since GoW is dead and no one cares about fable since fable I.

Madness

The best part about playing Halo 3 again, is seeing just how unnecessary sprint is. Sure it was weird the first match or two, but even playing Valhalla, you see its not needed. I used the mongoose to traverse the area quicker, which was the sole reason why they are on the maps as it is.

The initial push in the Pit is still satisfying as well. Imagine how it'd work with sprint.

Not saying that the movement is good. It's very sluggish and slow, just saying that sprint isn't as needed as people claim. Neither are things like jetpack. I haven't once felt like where is my jetpack to just fly over.

DeadNames

Banned
The best part about playing Halo 3 again, is seeing just how unnecessary sprint is. Sure it was weird the first match or two, but even playing Valhalla, you see its not needed. I used the mongoose to traverse the area quicker, which was the sole reason why they are on the maps as it is.

The initial push in the Pit is still satisfying as well. Imagine how it'd work with sprint.

Not saying that the movement is good. It's very sluggish and slow, just saying that sprint isn't as needed as people claim. Neither are things like jetpack. I haven't once felt like where is my jetpack to just fly over.

I'm honestly shocked 343 brought jetpack back. Jetpack is such a broken armor ability it's not even funny. Completely negates any map control.

heckfu

Banned
I'm honestly shocked 343 brought jetpack back. Jetpack is such a broken armor ability it's not even funny. Completely negates any map control.

The jetpack was my most frequent complaint when switching from 3 to 4 the other night. First, I can't use it because they refuse to help out Bumper Jumper users with AA's that you have to hold down, and secondly, it's cheap as shit on literally every map. I can't tell you how frustrated I've become in literally 2 days of playing Halo 3 and remembering what Halo used to be like.

DeadNames

Banned
The jetpack was my most frequent complaint when switching from 3 to 4 the other night. First, I can't use it because they refuse to help out Bumper Jumper users with AA's that you have to hold down, and secondly, it's cheap as shit on literally every map. I can't tell you how frustrated I've become in literally 2 days of playing Halo 3 and remembering what Halo used to be like.

Really though, the two most complained about armor abilities in Reach were jetpack and armor lock; two ridiculously 'get-out-of-jail-free' cards. 343 toned down AL into, but kept jetpack. Jetpack wouldn't be such a problem if most of the maps in Halo 4 WEREN'T assymetrical pillars.

Madness

But how can they remove it now. It's the one thing I'm most worried about with Halo 5. How they can pull a 180 from Reach and Halo 4 without having the journos or people who actually wanted sprint/jetpack complain.

For me, I want equal starts Halo back, I want no loadouts, no perks, no armor abilities, sprint, flinch. But I just don't think it'll happen.

But how can they remove it now. It's the one thing I'm most worried about with Halo 5. How they can pull a 180 from Reach and Halo 4 without having the journos or people who actually wanted sprint/jetpack complain.

For me, I want equal starts Halo back, I want no loadouts, no perks, no armor abilities, sprint, flinch. But I just don't think it'll happen.

By allowing it to be an option in custom games so those kids that want it can setup custom games, and only allow it in some sort of dbl exp weekly playlist and not actual MM, where the real Halo will be.

So people can ALWAYS play Halo. They can occasionally play weird Halo.

#HireJuices

Hey, it'd fit with the way they approached all their next gen policies.

If Microsoft can 180 out of DRM and Always Online, I expect them to 180 out of Sprints and Armor Abilities.

EDIT: What is the newest System Update on 360 for?

Makes me wonder why they designed the maps, the smaller ones without taking Sprint and AAs in consideration.

Here's a CRAZY idea, why not remove sprint, and make the base movement speed the same speed as sprint was?

Or does 343 still have to conform to generic FPS standards, because people don't buy the game on the name alone? I mean would anyone be like "this game doesn't have sprint so I'm not playing," if you already moved really fast?

Keep sprint. Whatever, it's annoying but it's the least of my concern.

Just remove armor abilities and perks.

Sprint would be less of a problem if it was very quick and snappy. Sluggish animations and basing Halo in a "heavy" world is another design philosophy that I'd change.

Halo 2 should've been undoubtedly faster than Halo 1, not slower.

Madness

By allowing it to be an option in custom games so those kids that want it can setup custom games, and only allow it in some sort of dbl exp weekly playlist and not actual MM, where the real Halo will be.

So people can ALWAYS play Halo. They can occasionally play weird Halo.

#HireJuices

That's actually smart and I didn't think about that. They can keep them to use as part of custom settings and also playlists like rock n rail or camo/pv being used in flood only but keep it away from the core Halo matchmaking playlists.

#HireJuices indeed lol.

DeadNames

Banned
Sprint is a waste of a button. If characters moved quick there will be no need for it.

All I wanted to say in my post is that sprint is the lesser of many evils. I'm not much of an advocate for it, but I wouldn't bat an eye if it were kept in.

Here's a CRAZY idea, why not remove sprint, and make the base movement speed the same speed as sprint was?

Or does 343 still have to conform to generic FPS standards, because people don't buy the game on the name alone? I mean would anyone be like "this game doesn't have sprint so I'm not playing," if you already moved really fast?

Gotta get those CoD babbies somehow dude.
Even after making CoD with shields nobody plays it. lol

____

I feel like a lot of the "sluggish" feelings of the animations comes from the 30 fps. Playing Skyrim in sub 30 FPS then switching to 60 makes EVERYTHING seem much more fluid and crisp.

That's actually smart and I didn't think about that. They can keep them to use as part of custom settings and also playlists like rock n rail or camo/pv being used in flood only but keep it away from the core Halo matchmaking playlists.

#HireJuices indeed lol.

How didn't you think of this? People have been saying this on every forum since the beginning of time lol.. Not to mention how many discussions have been had right in this thread about expanding custom searches and matching people up with what they want to play......

-Sparta kick-

Or does 343 still have to conform to generic FPS standards, because people don't buy the game on the name alone?

Amen.

Also, I'm so damn hyped for Killer Instinct man! I see you in that thread a lot too hahah - Double Helix's transparency with the pre-release coverage along with their plans post-release are what other developers need to start doing. That culture needs to be adopted by the entire industry.

EDIT:
I feel like a lot of the "sluggish" feelings of the animations comes from the 30 fps. Playing Skyrim in sub 30 FPS then switching to 60 makes EVERYTHING seem much more fluid and crisp.

Dexterity. I'm saying a "sluggish" animation as in the time it takes to complete whatever action is being performed.

Reloads need to be faster or bring back backpack reloading and add a section about it in the Advanced Tutorial/Meta Game section. Same goes for the transition to and from Sprint in terms of being able to shoot again; the recovery time.

Also, I'm so damn hyped for Killer Instinct man! I see you in that thread a lot too hahah - Double Helix's transparency with the pre-release coverage along with their plans post-release are what other developers need to start doing. That culture needs to be adopted by the entire industry.

I know ;_;

Killer Instinct was my favorite franchise before Halo came along, and I never thought I would say I'm glad Double Helix is developing it. They're doing such an incredible job.

Madness

How didn't you think of this? People have been saying this on every forum since the beginning of time lol.. Not to mention how many discussions have been had right in this thread about expanding custom searches and matching people up with what they want to play......

-Sparta kick-

No I've been thinking about custom searches for a while, but I didn't think about creating armor abilities and all that stuff but only using them as ancillary mechanics in custom gametypes. I think Ozzy had the right idea for toggles as well so people can match up with who they want etc.

For me, it was either/or, not both. I'm optimistic on Halo 5 being a better game than Reach or Halo 4, but for some reason, I keep thinking we're going to get Infinity slayer 2.0 and I don't know why.

-Sparta kick-

Yea I think that's one of the reasons Halo 3 did so well. In the beginning it was like pure Halo before they made Living Dead and Grifball almost permanent. They had weekly refreshing playlists of different stuff and that kept it fresh if you were getting bored but you could always find real Halo.

I do think Halo 3 had good playlist structure. I just don't like the settings for a bunch of gametypes, I really disagree with a lot of flag return times, match lengths, and objective mixes. DLC restrictions and map selections. Also of course I disagree with the Slayer default starting weapons. It was really close to having GOOD playlist management but yet couldn't quite get there.

Now in Halo people already are given playlists of those custom gametypes so they dont bother making new great stuff. It seems people are just getting bored and instead of creating tons of stuff with custom options (that arent even really there in Halo 4) they are just going to different games.

If that makes any sense.

Question, was there a System Update on Xbox Live today for anyone else, or did my Hard-Drive just give out on me?

My Hard-Drive is giving me an error telling me to format it...

Yea I think that's one of the reasons Halo 3 did so well. In the beginning it was like pure Halo before they made Living Dead and Grifball almost permanent. They had weekly refreshing playlists of different stuff and that kept it fresh if you were getting bored but you could always find real Halo.

I do think Halo 3 had good playlist structure. I just don't like the settings for a bunch of gametypes, I really disagree with a lot of flag return times, match lengths, and objective mixes. DLC restrictions and map selections. Also of course I disagree with the Slayer default starting weapons. It was really close to having GOOD playlist management but yet couldn't quite get there.

Now in Halo people already are given playlists of those custom gametypes so they dont bother making new great stuff. It seems people are just getting bored and instead of creating tons of stuff with custom options (that arent even really there in Halo 4) they are just going to different games.

If that makes any sense.

It's something that has been killing Halo's longevity since CoD took the mainstream crowd away. Imagine if on one end of the spectrum that players were flocking to the custom browser for 110% speed, 3-5 second return for CTF, all these settings that work better for default gameplay while 343 has 100% speed, 30 sec returns, nondroppable flag, etc. and a dying population for Matchmaking, what do you think 343 will do?

Chances are they'll make default MM as the settings that an overwhelming number of people are using for their custom games as default. For this reason alone is why I've been dying for a CGB of some sort or at the very least better filters to find games in MM.

Playlists live and die by their populations, so why shouldn't bad settings? One of the lamest scapegoats Bungie has always used was how people on forums (all of us) are the vocal minority, but we've seen 343 say that same thing. We're a pretty good representation of Halo's demographic if you ask me.

It's probably all that avatar add-ons clogging your hard drive space.

:p
Heh. I lost everything on my Hard Drive, and my Hard Drive won't properly install GTA V's content so I can play. Guess I have to buy a new Hard Drive now... to be honest, at this point I'm pretty much done with my 360. Don't see a need to spend another $100 on a new Hard Drive just to play my 360 for another month till I phase it out for my Xbox One. Just going to try getting my Hard Drive to work again later, if it doesn't, RIP In Peace my 360.

Still, all those purchases and digital content, gone. lol.

Booshka

Heh. I lost everything on my Hard Drive, and my Hard Drive won't properly install GTA V's content so I can play. Guess I have to buy a new Hard Drive now... to be honest, at this point I'm pretty much done with my 360. Don't see a need to spend another $100 on a new Hard Drive just to play my 360 for another month till I phase it out for my Xbox One. Just going to try getting my Hard Drive to work again later, if it doesn't, RIP In Peace my 360.

Just get a 16gb USB stick or two and download the stuff you care about. They aren't that expensive and they are multi-purpose, unlike a proprietary 360 HDD

Madness

Get some cheap usb sticks. Use them to play whatever recent games you have before the shift to next gen. You're getting XbOne right? By then, you'll have your achievements and profile transferred and your saves/purchases already wouldn't have mattered.

Its so simple I dont know why they dont grasp it, just have a ranked "main" playlist at the top. Classic Halo, no bullshit. Build small maps for that.

Then throw all your other bullshit into social. Its not like 90% of the time you aren't playing throwdown on a Forge map anyway.

It's something that has been killing Halo's longevity since CoD took the mainstream crowd away. Imagine if on one end of the spectrum that players were flocking to the custom browser for 110% speed, 3-5 second return for CTF, all these settings that work better for default gameplay while 343 has 100% speed, 30 sec returns, nondroppable flag, etc. and a dying population for Matchmaking, what do you think 343 will do?

Chances are they'll make default MM as the settings that an overwhelming number of people are using for their custom games as default. For this reason alone is why I've been dying for a CGB of some sort or at the very least better filters to find games in MM.

Playlists live and die by their populations, so why shouldn't bad settings? One of the lamest scapegoats Bungie has always used was how people on forums (all of us) are the vocal minority, but we've seen 343 say that same thing. We're a pretty good representation of Halo's demographic if you ask me.

Yea you know one of the problems right now is Bungie (during Reach) and 343i (during H4) are holding onto gametypes then creating the new lists with new settings and keeping both. So they have 2 modes to choose from. After awhile they end up combining them into the same playlists.

Chaos ensues.

Its all too complicated. Not only does it scare the heavy play gamers because they know exactly the one gametype they want and they know some of the time they won't be able to get that gametype. It also scares the low play gamers because they don't know what gametypes have what settings cause they haven't been keeping up.

Where if you keep it all separate and only a single slayer type at one time then its cool you can leave for awhile and you come back and there's one gametype to learn. They play their first game see they spawn with a AR+BR now and they go "Oh that's interesting" and its done they are already caught up. Where you have a few diff gametypes it takes them multiple games to catch up with everything and that could possibly lead to discouragement and loss of motivation to continue playing.

So they really need to create a default slayer gametype stripped down. If the majority of players clearly want something else replace default slayer with the new gametype for instance. If you really want to keep that original gametype you made stick it as something like "Classic Halo 5" and make it a weekly. So these weird new kids who like the first Halo 5 variant can find it sometime.

--

Also regarding playlist updates. In the beginning of Halo 4 there was a ton of updates constantly. While they are still updating quite a bit more than the previous Halo's they seem to be dropping off. I'd really like to see the beginning of the game a bit more stable and the updates ramp up later after awhile. Halo 4's playlist updates seemed to almost create more confusion than the problems they fixed. In-game communication of these changes would help but all we ever see is in-game marketing info. Stuff like: "HEY PLAY THIS SHIT ITS RADDD!!! GO PICKUP SOME DEW FOR DOUBLE POINTS" , When it should read "We're working on fixing map bugs where players can get into the map. If you find any please send a file link to: defendthecasual cause hes going to save Halo!" See the second one fixes Halo, the first one makes you look like corporate douchebags. You really wanna create this open channel with games.

Booshka

Better pray they think 5 million people agree with ya'll.

Maybe they will make the Campaign the same focus tested, watered down garbage that Halo 4 was, but the MP something more like classic Halo MP.

Get those initial Campaign sales from the Casuals that buy Halo for the Campaign only, then leave the MP for the players that actually stick around to keep playing the game months and years after release.

Top Bottom