• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

J10

Banned
Maybe they will make the Campaign the same focus tested, watered down garbage that Halo 4 was, but the MP something more like classic Halo MP.

Get those initial Campaign sales from the Casuals that buy Halo for the Campaign only, then leave the MP for the players that actually stick around to keep playing the game months and years after release.

I think they stopped calling it the Reclaimer Trilogy in case the next one bombs and they want to can the franchise. Seems possible given how much they're probably going to spend versus how little of an install base the Bone is going to have when it releases. I dunno what it's gonna take to make Halo a system seller again; the old style fell out of favor, and the new style didn't keep people interested. Maybe it doesn't have to be. Maybe they can subsidize a high-quality low-population Halo title with Titanfall and CoD sales to keep HaloGAF happy.

Disconect

Neo Member
APvrCpU.png

copy this
I miss this lobby.
Hope to see a remake in 2014
RRXYYRRXYY

Fuchsdh

I just imagined Flagum on Terminal, I almost puked.
That's a hell of a gag reflex.

As for who is the "real" Halo player, that's a pretty asinine question. How about just accepting that you would tweak the game so it benefits you and that not everyone or not even a majority might enjoy the same thing?

Heh. I lost everything on my Hard Drive, and my Hard Drive won't properly install GTA V's content so I can play. Guess I have to buy a new Hard Drive now... to be honest, at this point I'm pretty much done with my 360. Don't see a need to spend another $100 on a new Hard Drive just to play my 360 for another month till I phase it out for my Xbox One. Just going to try getting my Hard Drive to work again later, if it doesn't, RIP In Peace my 360.

Still, all those purchases and digital content, gone. lol.

Grab a cheap used hard drive from gamestop.

Off topic, but this PlayStation ad...oh man.

So great. I think all the Brits on here will revel in the nostalgia, pretty much everything is spot on.

I miss these times with friends.
It's seriously a beautiful commercial. Made me so happy and excited for the PS4. First bit of Sony Advertising to make me excited for November 15th when I get my PS4 :p I'm going to go ahead and say I don't think Microsoft will be able to top that commercial. Hehe. Probably the best advertisement coming out of this generation. Unless of course Microsoft throughs out their own well made "For the Gamers of 2001!" video. Or you know, Halo 5 BELIEVE campaign. :p

Kind of strange, Their system is out in almost a month, and Microsoft hasn't started advertising the Xbox One yet, they need to kick it into overdrive now.

Edit: Has a Halo game since Halo 3 had any big marketing campaign? ODST was decent... I remember seeing some tv ads for Reach, and I remember some for Halo 4, but none of them had as big as a push as Halo 3, if I recall right.

TheOddOne

"Mister Chief is a terrible idea that snowballed out of control, and now we’re stuck with it, like the internal combustion engine or Justin Bieber."

Hahaha
"Predictably, after I exposed him to the world, I got a lot of confused, angry, even erotic responses."

Pics or it didn't happen.

Awww yisss, Mister Chief is back! Something as little as this identifies with Halo's glory days, so it's nice to see 343 tap into that B]

I think they stopped calling it the Reclaimer Trilogy in case the next one bombs and they want to can the franchise. Seems possible given how much they're probably going to spend versus how little of an install base the Bone is going to have when it releases. I dunno what it's gonna take to make Halo a system seller again; the old style fell out of favor, and the new style didn't keep people interested. Maybe it doesn't have to be. Maybe they can subsidize a high-quality low-population Halo title with Titanfall and CoD sales to keep HaloGAF happy.

People don't really believe this, do they? Halo will always be a system seller. All they have to do is drop some footage with the right wording like "back to basics" or "that classic feel" or "no Jet Packs off spawn or Camo AA's" and people will go batshit crazy.

Power-ups need to make a triumphant return along with a better way to implement equipment in place of AA's. Jet Packs in MLG Reach worked better, for example.

----------

From this thread:
Grimløck;86871430 said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/21/killzone-shadow-fall-your-questions-answered/

@MrFredchr: Why did you choose to remove XP and levels?
STH: Levels are part of the game, as completing one of the 1,500 Challenges increases your rank. However, we felt XP was less about skill and more about time, so we designed a new system with a greater emphasis on skill.[

@Fishrock123: Any news of vehicles in the multiplayer?
STH: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer will not have any vehicles (such as Exoskeletons or Jetpacks) at launch. We wanted to ensure that player-created, custom Warzones work on all multiplayer maps, and the inclusion of vehicles would have introduced too many new variables and exceptions to guarantee this.

It seems more developers are starting to move past that CoD mentality of unlocks and time-grinding for multiplayer.

Perks and gameplay-altering unlocks deserve to burnnnnn. Keep that nonsense out of Halo, along with AA's off spawn that drastically break the flow of combat like PV.

@BucktownzFinest: Since there are Warzones to join, does that mean there’s no standard matchmaking?
STH: Not sure what you mean by standard matchmaking, but when you select a Warzone, the game will then look for a suitable match to join.

This person was probably referring to playlists on top of these search parameters, something Halo could absolutely benefit from. The whole "separating the population" belief doesn't hold much weight with me personally because I'd much rather choose the gametypes/settings I want to play than to either put up with terrible MM settings or to stop playing altogether.

When you have searchable Custom Games, communities and groups can be formed to regularly play together without the tedious nature of setting up games over a forum. Halo 1 never had Matchmaking, but it had a thriving community that allowed for a constant flow of games. I enjoyed that shit for 3+ years nonstop and even after MM came out for Halo 2 I still wanted something similar, not as a replacement but as supplemental.

Even with Halo 4's population as low as it is right now searchable Custom Games would be leagues better IMO, especially in terms of building relationships with people you've never met before. I'd still be playing regularly if that was the case as there is more room to build ongoing relationships with people who are always playing.

And while on the subject, they could build a system for crews like what GTA V did. Make an app that sends notifications to everyone that you're about to host a game or to send invites; the potential is limitless as long as you can be a little creative and take into consideration what the competition is achieving.

EDIT: Look at these people mentioning Halo as nostalgic for Xbox. You can't possibly sit there and think "Oh, Halo is dead.. it won't sell systems in 2014."

Fuchsdh

I, uhhh... wat
The picture was bizarre, but it's your response to it that made me lol.

Agree with Halo still being a seller. I dunno if it will ever be *the* shooter to own... But I'm also not sure any single game will take that mantle. CoD is going to wane, it's just a matter of when--Titanfall might be the game that starts the decline. But I can't see any games currentt on the market taking the crown, either crossplat or exclusive.
lol Killzone?

I wish speedy would tell me his money making secrets.
Have a really shitty minimum wage job and work 25 hours a week. Then have no bills to pay since you're still a minor, and prioritize video games over other things. Also save your small amount for months. :p

Well... Actually I pay my own Cell Phone bill, that's the only bill I have. So aside from that $150 a months, the rest is spending money.

Speedy Blue Dude used Leech off Parents.

It was super effective!
My parents don't buy me anything anymore, I don't like them buying me things when I make my own wage. I stopped leeching off them this year. :p They only pay for things I personally can't pay for, like they paid for my recent root canal and my crown. If I can pay for it, I pay gladly. I paid for my new $400 glasses a few months back.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Matchmaking in Halo 3 is currently faster than in Halo 4. For me, at least.

Damn.. Definitely going to drive a H3 Warthog when I get home today. Driving that thing with a competent gunner was one of my favorite parts of that game.

Standoff:
  1. Spawn
  2. Get in Warthog with a gunner ready
  3. Immediately drive to Bubble Shield to hold onto it just in case the Hog needs to be saved - RIP OP Equipment
  4. Dominate.

daedalius

That's a hell of a gag reflex.

As for who is the "real" Halo player, that's a pretty asinine question. How about just accepting that you would tweak the game so it benefits you and that not everyone or not even a majority might enjoy the same thing?

We believe that the best of Halo is not all in Halo 4. We believe that the best of Halo is in these small Halo 3 towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real Halo, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-Halo areas of this great nation.

dalVlatko

I suck at Halo 3 now :(

Went negative every game I played but still ended up winning most of them. Maps and gametypes in Team Slayer suck but it was fun playing a good Halo game again.

Coux

Neo Member
I suck at Halo 3 now :(

Went negative every game I played but still ended up winning most of them. Maps and gametypes in Team Slayer suck but it was fun playing a good Halo game again.

The different button layouts always mess me up. I know I can change it, but I always forget.

heckfu

Banned
This advert really hit the nostalgia nerve in me, hearing Crash Bandicoot at the beginning and watching PS1 Tekken. My Gawd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw&feature=youtu.be

Sony kills it with the adverts, Microsoft REALLY need to hit back with an advert showing Halo 1, then Live with Halo 2 before showing the 360 with Halo 3 and then transitioning to Halo 5 with classic gameplay.

Will never happen.

Yeah that's one of the best gaming adverts of all time. Kudos to Sony.

wwm0nkey

This advert really hit the nostalgia nerve in me, hearing Crash Bandicoot at the beginning and watching PS1 Tekken. My Gawd:

Sony kills it with the adverts, Microsoft REALLY need to hit back with an advert showing Halo 1, then Live with Halo 2 before showing the 360 with Halo 3 and then transitioning to Halo 5 with classic gameplay.

Will never happen.
Remember the old PS3 launch ads? Good thing Sony got their act together.

wwm0nkey

lolol what the fuck is this assault on the senses?

Saw that ad when I came down with something really bad and I legitimately had nightmares lol

Also for those who are getting the PS4 and were still worried about the controller, Adam Sessler did a great video about it and addressed the sticks being on the same level turned out to not be his issues with the controller like he thought it was with the PS1-3 controllers.

Will never happen.

They even showed RE4, an "exclusive" game from the gamecube.

I admire how they gathered the third partiers companies to theirs ads to support the PS3 and now the PS4, I sincerely believed MS would do that instead of sony but well.

Will never happen.

Daaaaaamn.

On the flip side, XBO's attempt at recreating this will probably be something like this:

*awful licensed music from your favorite trending pop-rap mish-mash artist starts playing*

*camera pans to living rooms across the globe where various customers are playing their One - from the typical american dream with 2.5 kids who'll use kinect, babbies who love to buy that crazy new cod, fat wizards who are dying to get their hands on the latest Mass Effect, some particularly affectionate male hipsters who are just totes in love with the indie scene that microsoft has, and the 18-35 male demographic who play while watching the big game and also they are at buffalo wild wings*

*shows some basic UI junk*

*cut to Kinect Dickbutt Superstars and exclusive Kinect Ultimate Dance Dingos 2014 footage*

*CoD stuff with frame drops*

*whatever the people who make Ninja Gaiden are limping to the barn with*

*lol indies*

*TitanFall, Forza, whatever the fuck else, also a snippet of the Halo 5 stuff which is marked nowhere in the ad as promotional footage and not in-game*

LIVE IN THE NOW

LIVE IN THE FUTURE

XBOX ONE

32 / 11 / 13

One of the RUL staff guys posted this today...I couldn't disagree more.

http://draxattack.blogspot.com/2013/10/combat-evolved-halo-3-to-halo-4.html

He's right, though. Halo 3 may be a good game but releasing a relativistic Halo 3 (or even a Halo 2 or Halo CE) successor wouldn't get 343 anywhere. We'd love it and I'm sure the competitive crowd would too, but when Jimmy McNuggets plays it and there's no exp-based unlocks or QTEs, there's going to be hell to pay when soccer moms rally at Target trying to get returns.

heckfu

Banned
He's right, though. Halo 3 may be a good game but releasing a relativistic Halo 3 (or even a Halo 2 or Halo CE) successor wouldn't get 343 anywhere. We'd love it and I'm sure the competitive crowd would too, but when Jimmy McNuggets plays it and there's no exp-based unlocks or QTEs, there's going to be hell to pay when soccer moms rally at Target trying to get returns.

I can't remember who said it (and there's no way it would ever, ever happen) but I think a brilliant idea would be to release the game with the campaign including the jetpacks and the beep boops (that's scientific jargon for armor abilities) and have multiplayer be Halo in the classic sense.

It's hard to define the 'classic sense' but a start would be no armor abilities and no sprint.

Booshka

I can't remember who said it (and there's no way it would ever, ever happen) but I think a brilliant idea would be to release the game with the campaign including the jetpacks and the beep boops (that's scientific jargon for armor abilities) and have multiplayer be Halo in the classic sense.

It's hard to define the 'classic sense' but a start would be no armor abilities and no sprint.

Maybe they will make the Campaign the same focus tested, watered down garbage that Halo 4 was, but the MP something more like classic Halo MP.

Get those initial Campaign sales from the Casuals that buy Halo for the Campaign only, then leave the MP for the players that actually stick around to keep playing the game months and years after release.

Yea, and it won't happen.

nillapuddin

As someone who owned every Playstation, probably over 50-60 games, and was fully in those "moments" .. that commercial did nothing for me...

I didnt feel any connection to that kid, his friends, or the fact he still lived with his mom

well, I did have one emotion,
jealousy

The Sony commercials never really invoke anything from me, I guess my 22 y/o male sports fan/tech geek mentality just isnt in the demo for these commercials ..wait, what

As for the lack of Xbox commercials, idk, I consumed about 10 hours of football over the weekend and only saw 1 playstation commercial, whatev's

...anyways

need more haloz, attempting to play halo 3, lag makes it unplayable..

Halo 3 MP, Theory vs Practice: The game.

Top Bottom