• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Tawpgun

At least allow a venue for classic halo at launch. And allow the damn options for it.

Perhaps splitting the player base between dirty infinity lovers and the classic halo master race would be better

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This advert really hit the nostalgia nerve in me, hearing Crash Bandicoot at the beginning and watching PS1 Tekken. My Gawd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw&feature=youtu.be

Sony kills it with the adverts, Microsoft REALLY need to hit back with an advert showing Halo 1, then Live with Halo 2 before showing the 360 with Halo 3 and then transitioning to Halo 5 with classic gameplay.

Will never happen.

Oh man, right at my fucking heart. Jeeeez. That Gran Turismo race countdown. God damn, so many races.

CyReN

One of the RUL staff guys posted this today...I couldn't disagree more.

http://draxattack.blogspot.com/2013/10/combat-evolved-halo-3-to-halo-4.html

I spent COUNTLESS hours playing it. I reached Brigadier Grade 3 and a highest level of 46. I was pretty dang good at it.

58630627-lol-reaction.gif

I can't remember who said it (and there's no way it would ever, ever happen) but I think a brilliant idea would be to release the game with the campaign including the jetpacks and the beep boops (that's scientific jargon for armor abilities) and have multiplayer be Halo in the classic sense.

It's hard to define the 'classic sense' but a start would be no armor abilities and no sprint.

Agree, let the flashy things for campaign and less usage of AA in MM.

As someone who owned every Playstation, probably over 50-60 games, and was fully in those "moments" .. that commercial did nothing for me...

I didnt feel any connection to that kid, his friends, or the fact he still lived with his mom

well, I did have one emotion,
jealousy

Woot, He wasnt living in a dorm or something since so much people were walking on his room?

I feel like that guy had the same mentality as Bungie/343 devs when working on Halo Reach/4.

How about instead of copying shit, BE CREATIVE and come up with some new ideas that could possibly be industry standards going forward??

He's right, though. Halo 3 may be a good game but releasing a relativistic Halo 3 (or even a Halo 2 or Halo CE) successor wouldn't get 343 anywhere. We'd love it and I'm sure the competitive crowd would too, but when Jimmy McNuggets plays it and there's no exp-based unlocks or QTEs, there's going to be hell to pay when soccer moms rally at Target trying to get returns.

The hell with them then. If they won't play Halo because it doesn't have XP unlocks, then they're most likely going to quit eventually anyway and shift to a game that will always do it better, CoD.

Why are we catering to these people? There was no reason to cater to the CoD crowd because the increase in sales comes from a growth in popularity with the Halo brand, not because of some stupid perks.

Booshka

http://cdn.meme.li/i/460x/nelr4.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

MLG Pro, Old Spice Swagger, Boost Mobile using, Dr Pepper Gaming House winner shits all over your Brigadier General 3 Level 46 in probably BTB or TS.

Whats your highest placement at an event scrub, I got Top 64 at 8 different events and Top 32 at one Bic FFA. I am the shit, don't act like you are good, get shit on trash.

MSG me for 50's and 3 months on my friends list. 1600 points and/or a 3 month.

Madness

See that was what I meant a few pages back. If 343 do decide that a return to 'classic' Halo is needed, you'll have guys like that complain and post videos and rally followers saying Halo has gone back ten years in FPS design. I just don't understand how you can put in hundreds of hours of Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3 gameplay and then say that the formula is old, that Halo needs sprint and loadouts. That's not what Halo is.

I really don't envy the job 343 has for Halo 5.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey the Beyond crew, sup guys.

Heckfu, Karl and I are on Halo 3 right now playing Team Slayer. The bubble shield and regen frustrations are coming back

Fuchsdh

This advert really hit the nostalgia nerve in me, hearing Crash Bandicoot at the beginning and watching PS1 Tekken. My Gawd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw&feature=youtu.be

Sony kills it with the adverts, Microsoft REALLY need to hit back with an advert showing Halo 1, then Live with Halo 2 before showing the 360 with Halo 3 and then transitioning to Halo 5 with classic gameplay.

Will never happen.

That's funny, because I would say that was a terrible ad. It did nothing for me, it was overly long, needlessly complicated from a cinematographic standpoint, and didn't actually do a good job at the nostalgia-creation game. I had a PS1 and it still didn't feel targeted anywhere near my realm.

If we're going nostalgia, Microsoft's IE ad hits far more high notes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qii34pPG8JM

And if we're just talking games, I do think that their launch "Jump In" 360 ads generally worked on a broad level that still targeted gamers--they didn't take themselves too seriously, and they abstracted out some of the intangibility of the best parts of the platform into something that worked outside of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

The "Michael" ad is one of the few PlayStation ones that I think is on the same caliber.

So heres my views:

Draxattack article is stupid. Madden doesnt update game really. CoD doesn't update game really. They change a little while remaining true, and adding new features and updating graphics. New maps. All these things keep games fresh. You don't need to change the gameplay for something that WORKED. AND BY FUCKING GODDAMNIT IM POSITIVE HALO WORKED.

(I commented over at the article)

Also LoL at "IM PRETTY DANG GOOD I HAD A 46" has to be a troll article imo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Don't fix what isn't broken. Iterate and build upon what works. Juices knows his stuff.

There's a reason that Halo 4 was the bestselling and then least played Halo game.

He's right, though. Halo 3 may be a good game but releasing a relativistic Halo 3 (or even a Halo 2 or Halo CE) successor wouldn't get 343 anywhere. We'd love it and I'm sure the competitive crowd would too, but when Jimmy McNuggets plays it and there's no exp-based unlocks or QTEs, there's going to be hell to pay when soccer moms rally at Target trying to get returns.

Completely disagree. Jimmy McNugget buys it on the name, has no idea about the ins and outs of its MP design like your typical Halogaffer. He'll complete the campaign and then give multi a few tries. If he finds a game with organic depth and fun shit to do in BTB without getting plasma pistoled every 3 seconds he might stay. Halo 4 is the only Halo with gameplay altering EXP unlocks and has performed dismally in its first year. If 343 haven't seriously reconsidered their MP design after Halo 4 bombed on player retention then they'll never crack this franchise.

See that was what I meant a few pages back. If 343 do decide that a return to 'classic' Halo is needed, you'll have guys like that complain and post videos and rally followers saying Halo has gone back ten years in FPS design.

They are a tiny minority who should be ignored. We know they are a minority because the Halo that is teeming with the 'progressive' horseshit they love has the worst player retention the franchise has seen, around a 5th of the population Reach had after 12 months. Halo 4 is peaking at 15000 players; BTB in Halo 3 probably had 15000 for itself after a year. A significant portion of Halo 4's 15000 probably dislike the changes but just can't shake the Halo habit.

It is not fun to play on an uneven battlefield. People want equal starts. If I see AA's in Halo 5 it's fucking OVER.

That's funny, because I would say that was a terrible ad. It did nothing for me, it was overly long, needlessly complicated from a cinematographic standpoint, and didn't actually do a good job at the nostalgia-creation game. I had a PS1 and it still didn't feel targeted anywhere near my realm.

If we're going nostalgia, Microsoft's IE ad hits far more high notes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qii34pPG8JM

And if we're just talking games, I do think that their launch "Jump In" 360 ads generally worked on a broad level that still targeted gamers--they didn't take themselves too seriously, and they abstracted out some of the intangibility of the best parts of the platform into something that worked outside of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

The "Michael" ad is one of the few PlayStation ones that I think is on the same caliber.

I'm not a fan of the Sony advert, very stereotypical and drawn out for what it is. Hey who said Sony wasn't going for the entertainment/living room :)

I prefer this Xbox One advert, no dubstep anywhere and all about the games.

daedalius

Halo 3 IS dated. Even at the time it felt sluggish and unrepsonive. I was never able to get into H3's mp. Halo 4 feels good, it just has a bunch off extraneous stuff.

I disagree with the game needing to adapt, though.

Legendary H4 seems pretty great imo.

I certainly wouldn't have minded them leaving out perks and AAs (thrustpack all the time, no sprint!)

Hey the Beyond crew, sup guys.

Heckfu, Karl and I are on Halo 3 right now playing Team Slayer. The bubble shield and regen frustrations are coming back
If only we could get Saucey to post in this thread, then, we'd be one big happy Halo family!
Legendary H4 seems pretty great imo.

I certainly wouldn't have minded them leaving out perks and AAs (thrustpack all the time, no sprint!)

Legendary was pretty good, except for Sprint and Flinch.

nillapuddin

I would buy Halo 4 "Legendary" settings: The game

picking starting weapons doesnt affect me, if you want a DMR over BR, fine, its 2013, you deserve it.

wwm0nkey

picking starting weapons doesnt affect me, if you want a DMR over BR, fine, its 2013, you deserve it.

No, DMR really should just be an on map weapon, the range of it fucks up map flow a lot. Not as bad as Reach but still bad.

I think out of all the proposed gameplay changes, the thing I want the most is the DMR to be scrapped. Ever since Turbo came around there's just no point to using it over the other big three (BR / Carbine / LR). It seems pretty dumb that the UNSC gets two starting weapons in favor of the Covenant / Promethean ones, especially when the Light Rifle does the DMR's job even better post-update.

FyreWulff

Agree with the disagreement. I hate this idea that just because a game came out X years ago, it's fun auto-expires. [BARROW ROLL TAKES A DRINK] is still a fun game. Halo 3 can't be called antiquated, it came out SIX YEARS AGO. Plenty of FPSes already had sprint. People literally do not know what the fuck they are talking about if they think having sprint has anything to do with a game's success.

Madness

What does this even mean? A DMR is far superior to a BR especially if it has zero bloom. You ultimately dominate at large distances.

Where's that pic someone showed of the difference in reticle range for 2x scope and 3x scope. A DMR could cross map at ease and is a mini sniper.

Now some people like that it's such a capable and deadly weapon, but the fact you move like a turtle in relation to the firing means you have very little chance at evading any shots. This is probably why BigShow and others talk about why increased movement and strafe speed is needed. Couple that with the increased auto aim and magnetism and you have what we had at launch, very little map movement and guys just pinging each other at a distance.

Booshka

What does this even mean? A DMR is far superior to a BR especially if it has zero bloom. You ultimately dominate at large distances.

Where's that pic someone showed of the difference in reticle range for 2x scope and 3x scope. A DMR could cross map at ease and is a mini sniper.

Now some people like that it's such a capable and deadly weapon, but the fact you move like a turtle in relation to the firing means you have very little chance at evading any shots. This is probably why BigShow and others talk about why increased movement and strafe speed is needed. Couple that with the increased auto aim and magnetism and you have what we had at launch, very little map movement and guys just pinging each other at a distance.
The insane bullet magnetism, aim assist, huge hitboxes and slow player speed and strafe is the real problem. Having an accurate mid-long range powerful weapon is not going to destroy map flow if it takes considerable skill to kill a player quickly. Halo has long enough kill times that you can move around pretty well without getting merked, your shields will drop, and you will be at a disadvantage, but you won't outright die in most cases.

Bring back the skill in shooting, and we can have a powerful precision weapon without it breaking map flow. Being able to shoot back and win a fight after getting hit in the side or back is not something that happens anymore. You just put your head down and try to look for cover, because you know you are gonna keep getting shot. You don't have the tools of skilled movement to avoid fire, the ability to turn around, knock them out of scope, land some perfect shots and overtake the battle. You just have to stick your head to the floor and hope your back will tank the shots they will most certainly keep landing.

JDHarbs

I can't help but feel like half of Halo 4's problems
and Reach's to a lesser extent
would be solved by bringing the Magnum back.

JDHarbs

Armor abilities, sprint and flinch would be gone by bringing back the Magnum? Your logic is flawed, sir.
Well, not completely gone, but better. The Magnum's faster kill times would definitely help make sprint more balanced. Flinch would still be an issue, but the faster kill times and range of the Magnum would help when going up against a sniper, and less shots to kill means less time dealing with the mechanic. I'll give you armor abilities still being an issue though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help but feel like half of Halo 4's problems
and Reach's to a lesser extent
would be solved by bringing the Magnum back.
The default movement speed and crap jump height would make a three shot kill weapon to much of an issue.

Edit: Anniversary Slayer gets movement kinda right. Like... 30% right.

Top Bottom