• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Just played Ricochet with this lovely Australian fellow had six controllers signed in (4 on the other team) and was boosting kills. Pinnacle of humanity, this one.

http://i.imgur.com/avqu7fN.png[/MG]

Daedalius and I proceeded to make him betray enough to get booted...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tw2Rt9V.png[/MG][/QUOTE]

Oh man, my ones are never as inventive.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2bYhBd8.png

FyreWulff

And once again the every Pistol kill is a 3SK myth props its ugly head up.

There has been more out-shooting on Halo CE on XBC with its insane latency and unique lag than pretty much all other Halo's combined. Very rarely are engagements a fight to who can 3SK first, usually takes 5 or more shots to get the kill.

XBC has more consistent lag though, due to it's LAN emulation. Halo PC's leading changing depending on your ping, to the point they had to duct tape a beep sound onto the game to let you know the bullets were landing, made it more frustrating than fun.

When balancing a weapon, I'd consider the highest level players. Highest level aren't going to be fucking up their 3SKs often, if at all.

Jesus Christ. Old and NEW headsets to require an adapter? Come on.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...required-for-new-headsets-not-out-until-2014/

Sorry if this is old...

smh MS

Oh man, my ones are never as inventive.

2bYhBd8.png

Dat prose.

~Ray Bradbury

Fracas

#fuckonami
Fuck MS, i really want to support you, but you're making it hard for even me now. If i could get a modded controller for the PS4 with asymmetrical sticks, I'm out.

Titanfall isn't really worth it to me anymore, because i'd rather play Planetside 2 on the PS4 (which is F2P).

There will be a plethora of third party PS4 controllers with asymmetrical sticks, although many people who hated the DS3 are loving the new controller. Titanfall will be on PC, 360, and probably PS4 in a year.

Tawpgun

MS shitting the bed with their customers again. Classic.

I'm still undecided on console too. I wish I could just drop the cashmonies for both

There will be a plethora of third party PS4 controllers with asymmetrical sticks, although many people who hated the DS3 are loving the new controller. Titanfall will be on PC, 360, and probably PS4 in a year.

All I know is that there is no way i'll get Xbox One at launch, it's going to be a nightmare. I'll wait until later next year when I hear more about Halo 5 and they iron out all the kinks. And there is a lot of kinks.

belushy

Banned
I'll probably buy an XBox One if they have a Halo 5 Special Edition one like with Halo Reach. Halo 5 also has to actually look good for me to do that though.

FyreWulff

I'll probably buy an XBox One if they have a Halo 5 Special Edition one like with Halo Reach. Halo 5 also has to actually look good for me to do that though.

I just wanted a Slim in the Halo 3 360's color scheme damnit

Why did they shy away from green for the newest model :(

Nebula

I went to a few game shops today but none had a PS4 controller I could get my hands on. I did see a PS4 though and it looks a lot smaller than I expected. Looked good though.

Also 3rd party controllers blow. I had an Xbox styled one for my Brothers PS3 and the analogs stopped working after a week.

I went to a few game shops today but none had a PS4 controller I could get my hands on. I did see a PS4 though and it looks a lot smaller than I expected. Looked good though.

Also 3rd party controllers blow. I had an Xbox styled one for my Brothers PS3 and the analogs stopped working after a week.

I once picked up a third party OG xbox controller.

My friend broke the d-pad as result of checking the yardage from the ball to pin in Tiger Woods 2004.

THE YARDAGE.

Just played Ricochet with this lovely Australian fellow had six controllers signed in (4 on the other team) and was boosting kills. Pinnacle of humanity, this one.

Don't give me that nonsense.. You don't score the last cap in CTF to boost more kills!

XBC has more consistent lag though, due to it's LAN emulation. Halo PC's leading changing depending on your ping, to the point they had to duct tape a beep sound onto the game to let you know the bullets were landing, made it more frustrating than fun.

When balancing a weapon, I'd consider the highest level players. Highest level aren't going to be fucking up their 3SKs often, if at all.

So explain to me how professional Halo 1 players still can't land consistent 3sk's on LAN.

Fyre, did you even play the game outside of PC? Your H1 ignorance is killingggg me..
softly.

FyreWulff

So explain to me how professional Halo 1 players still can't land consistent 3sk's on LAN.

Fyre, did you even play the game outside of PC? Your H1 ignorance is killingggg me..
softly.

I've played in hardcore tournaments in Halo 1 Xbox and somehow I'm ignorant?

Nah. I'd say it was more the limited talent pool. To play Halo 1 in a hardcore manner, you needed multiple Xboxes, know how to set up a LAN, etc. Halo 2 onwards, you had to play against the rest of the world, and you only needed your own Xbox. I used to think I was hot shit in my area, then Halo 2 came out and I had to play people outside my region that had better opponents to play against. #1 is only as good as #2 will push them. The thing that sucked about it is since I invested more time in playing 2 online, I basically pulled away from local friends who played Halo in skill level, because my skill level got pulled up by having a wider talent pool to play against and get better against.

Additionally, it'd be pretty braindead to not account for megajerks (people exploiting the sandbox/mechanics to the fullest) in your sandbox balance. If your gun can kill in X shots, the balance should account for that.

Finally, the need to run asynchronously means bullet magnetism and rewinding will always be a thing, cleaning up any quirks of being TOO accurate with frame relay (Halo 1's networking model). You can fire the BR in Halo 3 early in double digit frames and still be awarded a hit. This is needed to make the whole asynch puppet show feel like it's real.

BigShow36

While I agree the PC version is much improved over the CE console version I'm really not talking just about the min. kill time. I'm explaining how that relates to playing online with latency and reaction times compounding each other.

Well shots-to-kill is irrelevant if you don't also consider the time-to-kill. The SAW takes more shots to kill than the DMR does, but it kills more rapidly.

There is so much more than just a 3SK e.g. awareness, team work, use of cover etc. When you look at the current sandbox do we really need the return of a 3SK pistol? No we do not. Could the weapons (bullet magnetism or aim assist) and movement (strafe acceleration) use a little more tweaking so dodging at long-extreme ranges is better along with improved dodging a strafe buff gives? Yes.

No one ever said the 3sk was all there is to skill. The point is that a faster game with a deeper shooting skill-gap actually enhances those other skills. Later Halo may seem like they have more teamwork, but that's simply because teamwork is the ONLY skill.

It's the online factors that make me not want a 3SK min. I also disagree about fighting against 1v2, with the other factors above you can turn the tables on multiple attackers.

Look at it like this:
4SK min.
solo = 4SK min. with average 5-7SK.
2 team shooters = 2SK min. with average 3-4SK
3 team shooters - 2SK min. with average 2-3SK

3SK min.
solo = 3SK with average 4-5SK
2 team shooters = 2SK min. with average 2-3SK
3 team shooters = 1SK min. with average 1-2SK

When you look at it like this you can see just how often you're going to be dealing with a 2/3SK kill time. Now add the online latency in and by the time you're shot once and attempting to flee or counter attacked you're now down two shots. All of a sudden the min kill time for who sees who first is down to 1/2SK.

These numbers are completely irrelevant without any context. The average player DID NOT have an average 4-5 shot kill in Halo CE. That's simply wrong. And if we're talking about any Halo game with a 4 shot kill BR, the average player killed in 4-5 shots simply because the weapons were so damn easy to use.

The bottom line is, if you have 2 or more people shooting at you, you are at a severe disadvantage in any Halo game. The difference is that in Halo CE, you actually had a chance to make the other players miss and fight back. If you got the drop on two players in Halo CE you could, with skill, take one of them down before they both had a chance to turn and teamshot you.

Nebula

I forgot to mention that one of the shops I was in had 2 Halo 4 Limited Editions for £12 each. It's rare I find any limited editions of any game, no matter how crappy and there's 2 Halo 4 ones in one shop.

Also my Xbox is making a weird buzzing noise and in more controller news, my right analog is starting to slow turn. It's like they're forcing me to go next gen here.

I forgot to mention that one of the shops I was in had 2 Halo 4 Limited Editions for £12 each. It's rare I find any limited editions of any game, no matter how crappy and there's 2 Halo 4 ones in one shop.

Also my Xbox is making a weird buzzing noise and in more controller news, my right analog is starting to slow turn. It's like they're forcing me to go next gen here.

Or you could save $250-350 and just by a decent new controller.

Caja 117

And his K/D is still only 1.41 after all that boosting? wat

And What do you expect? The other 4 controllers signed in is a team of four and they are really hard to kill.

But Seriously, this is what happens when there isnt a real reward for wining. Not to mention you can see your KD ratio in the player card, which doesnt help IMO.

lol BigShow, how many times must you explain that? It's like it either doesn't stick with people or they just don't want to believe it.

I've played in hardcore tournaments in Halo 1 Xbox and somehow I'm ignorant?

My bad if I offended you, but was just going off your posts. Also, what tournaments? National ones or local? This could be anything from a couple local tournaments to getting exposure on a nationwide level which is a huge difference. How about XBC? Only asking because you're using that as your experience with the game; how extensive is that experience?

Nah. I'd say it was more the limited talent pool. To play Halo 1 in a hardcore manner, you needed multiple Xboxes, know how to set up a LAN, etc. Halo 2 onwards, you had to play against the rest of the world, and you only needed your own Xbox. I used to think I was hot shit in my area, then Halo 2 came out and I had to play people outside my region that had better opponents to play against. #1 is only as good as #2 will push them. The thing that sucked about it is since I invested more time in playing 2 online, I basically pulled away from local friends who played Halo in skill level, because my skill level got pulled up by having a wider talent pool to play against and get better against.

Additionally, it'd be pretty braindead to not account for megajerks (people exploiting the sandbox/mechanics to the fullest) in your sandbox balance. If your gun can kill in X shots, the balance should account for that.

Finally, the need to run asynchronously means bullet magnetism and rewinding will always be a thing, cleaning up any quirks of being TOO accurate with lockstep (Halo 1's networking model). You can fire the BR in Halo 3 early in double digit frames and still be awarded a hit. This is needed to make the whole asynch puppet show feel like it's real.

What's all this about? My argument was simply that not even pros can land consistent 3sk's on LAN even to this day. Last LAN I went to was Summer 2012 to play with a lot of old school players that wouldn't be as known to anyone here except for DMAQ and Puckett, but no one was consistently landing 3sk's even though these guys played H1 regularly. The competition in that game is still insane, after all these years. I don't see how anyone could agree with what you're saying if they've actually played the game for an extended period of time.

Has nothing to do with the talent pool or anything else. A 3sk is a 3sk and if you've been playing the game for over 10 years but still can't land a 3sk consistently on LAN, what does that tell you? Not that the person sucks, but that the weapon is difficult to be perfect with.

The average player DID NOT have an average 4-5 shot kill in Halo CE. That's simply wrong. And if we're talking about any Halo game with a 4 shot kill BR, the average player killed in 4-5 shots simply because the weapons were so damn easy to use.

The bottom line is, if you have 2 or more people shooting at you, you are at a severe disadvantage in any Halo game. The difference is that in Halo CE, you actually had a chance to make the other players miss and fight back. If you got the drop on two players in Halo CE you could, with skill, take one of them down before they both had a chance to turn and teamshot you.

^
Halo 2+ killed this with its requirement to teamshoot often to be an effective team. Dead were the days of a powerful individual making POWER plays (unless they had a Rocket) to drastically change the flow of a match.

EDIT:
Even if people can't hit 3 shots reliably enough, my points remains: the rest of the game should be balanced as if that weapon is being used perfectly, or else it will fall apart at potentially highest level play.

As others have pointed out, the game should be made and tested as if the biggest, most perfectly playing asshole is playing the game. Or you end up with stuff like the 3x Zoom 85% DMR on big open maps, the Reach/4 Banshee, BXR, or Halo 1's double melee.

And my point is if the OGRES can't land consistent 3sk's, then what is your point? As BigShow just explained, the 3sk count means nothing without the context of its surrounding gameplay mechanics.

Also, the double melee in H1 was risk/reward because you needed a Grenade. If you weren't spot on with your placement, you'd die too. This happens a lot in later Halo games (melee/'nade before you die) but the main difference is that it took 3 melee's to kill someone in Halo 1. As a result, I see it as an advanced tactic that worked because of the surrounding gameplay mechanics.

FyreWulff

What's all this about? My argument was simply that not even pros can land consistent 3sk's on LAN even to this day. Last LAN I went to was Summer 2012 to play with a lot of old school players that wouldn't be as known to anyone here except for DMAQ and Puckett, but no one was consistently landing 3sk's even though these guys played H1 regularly.

Even if people can't hit 3 shots reliably enough, my points remains: the rest of the game should be balanced as if that weapon is being used perfectly, or else it will fall apart at potentially highest level play (as long as underlying engine issues aren't responsible for dropping hits or crap like that)

As others have pointed out, the game should be made and tested as if the biggest, most perfectly playing asshole is playing the game. Or you end up with stuff like the 3x Zoom 85% DMR on big open maps, the Reach/4 Banshee, BXR, or Halo 1's double melee.

Booshka

Even if people can't hit 3 shots reliably enough, my points remains: the rest of the game should be balanced as if that weapon is being used perfectly, or else it will fall apart at potentially highest level play (as long as underlying engine issues aren't responsible for dropping hits or crap like that)

This makes no sense, no game is designed like this. User error must always be accounted for, even at the highest levels of play, players will always make mistakes, miss shots and execute poorly, often. It's like you want the game to be designed with aimbot in mind. If you land every shot, every nade and execute every input perfectly, I still would say Halo CE is the most balanced, because every weapon (sans Needler) is incredibly lethal when used properly.

I understand your point of design as if a high level player is playing, but most of the issues of balance for later Halo games is that executing is just too easy.

I'm glad we have these discussions on here because it exposes the common misconceptions of Halo 1's gameplay design that an overwhelming number of people seem to have. It really puts things into perspective how little of Halo's fanbase experienced that game at its full potential in its prime.

What a shame. My baby will never get to experience the joys of XBL ;[

Unless CELive has absolutely perfect netcode, I can't see it transitioning well. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but a lot of Halo 2's "innovations" were deliberate workarounds to having to deal with debatable netcode. Fun fact: the Energy Sword was borked with fall damage in Halo 2 because the ridiculous lunge registered as movement, or more simply, falling in another direction. Players would kill themselves pretty much every time they swung.

Speaking of fall damage, when they thought the world was ready for it over live and Reach came out, keep in mind that you had to pray for a good connection if you had a map taller than Reflection. Fall damage and bad lag caused some Portal-esque loops where you'd teleport from, say, the top of the Spire to the ground ad infinitum until you slammed into it enough to get killed by the fall ten times over.

Karl2177

I'm glad we have these discussions on here because it exposes the common misconceptions of Halo 1's gameplay design that an overwhelming number of people seem to have. It really puts things into perspective how little of Halo's fanbase experienced that game at its full potential in its prime.

What a shame. My baby will never get to experience the joys of XBL ;[

I love the hipster argument. "You just wouldn't understand" "I played real Halo before you did" "You just don't understand Halo"

BigShow36

Unless CELive has absolutely perfect netcode, I can't see it transitioning well. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but a lot of Halo 2's "innovations" were deliberate workarounds to having to deal with debatable netcode. Fun fact: the Energy Sword was borked with fall damage in Halo 2 because the ridiculous lunge registered as movement, or more simply, falling in another direction. Players would kill themselves pretty much every time they swung.

Speaking of fall damage, when they thought the world was ready for it over live and Reach came out, keep in mind that you had to pray for a good connection if you had a map taller than Reflection. Fall damage and bad lag caused some Portal-esque loops where you'd teleport from, say, the top of the Spire to the ground ad infinitum until you slammed into it enough to get killed by the fall ten times over.

I've never asked for CE live, nor do I expect it. All I want at this point is to get skill-based shooting back with faster kill times. That's it. That will solve so many problems.

Dedicated servers. Microsoft's flagship multiplayer franchise. Add those two things together and you get priority.

Not to mention, all we really want is to bring the skill-based fun back to Halo; and that could start by adding weapons with a similar design philosophy to CE.

I love the hipster argument. "You just wouldn't understand" "I played real Halo before you did" "You just don't understand Halo"

I try not to say those things, but it's true in this case; not about Halo in general, but about CE. Some of the comments people make don't make any sense, especially if you've played the game for an extended period of time against high level players.

It's similar to players who pretty much started with Reach/4 who justify the Jet Pack's existence as an AA off spawn; no matter what they say, they're wrong in the context of optimal default Halo settings. Nothing you explain will convince them otherwise unless they've actually put in the 9 years of gaming with the previous games, which obviously isn't a reality at this point.

Oh man, I wanted to say this too. We are soulmates, Karl.

If you wanted to say it, say it. Don't be scared. I was waiting for someone to finally make that post..

EDIT:
I've never asked for CE live, nor do I expect it. All I want at this point is to get skill-based shooting back with faster kill times. That's it. That will solve so may problems.

Oh man, I pretty much just said this too. We are soulmates, BigShow.

lol

Mabef

Banned
Halo 5's sandbox should be pro-pipe spawns, with mid map OS and sniper pickups. No other weapons.

There, I've solved the skill gap.

Woorloog

Banned
It's similar to players who pretty much started with Reach/4 who justify the Jet Pack's existence as an AA off spawn; no matter what they say, they're wrong in the context of default Halo settings.

Define default Halo in a way that is not "My ideal Halo". Or that is not "Same as Halo CE".
You probably cannot. You can define default Halo CE, default Halo 2 and so on... but Halo 2=/=Halo CE=/=Halo 3=/=Reach, right?

Define default Halo in a way that is not "My ideal Halo". Or that is not "Same as Halo CE".
You probably cannot. You can define default Halo CE, default Halo 2 and so on... but Halo 2=/=Halo CE=/=Halo 3=/=Reach, right?

Don't look too deep into it. All I meant by that is regardless of opinion, Jet Pack AA's off spawn are not good for optimal default Halo settings.

And by default Halo settings I simply mean when you first start up a Team Slayer game, what are the settings? Equal starts, etc.

Halo 5's sandbox should be pro-pipe spawns, with mid map OS and sniper pickups. No other weapons.

There, I've solved the skill gap.

Depends on which Halo Sniper you're talking about ;]

Mabef

Banned
Too much of a good thing is never the real answer though.

Look at what happend to Sprint.

Never again.
Hmm okay I can design around this. So how about instead, half the players spawn with pro pipes and the other half spawn with armor lock (to counter the pro pipes) and swords (because Halo needs CQC). But don't worry, the swords don't have lunge because they're medieval now. You swing them around directionally, like Mount and Blade. If you're really good you can slice grenades as they fly through the air, deactivating them. This technique would require much skill.
So you want to make it Tribes?
No jetpacks, obvs.

EDIT: But srsly,
It's a shame they felt that the Sticky Det was a worthy replacement. Not nearly as much skill involved in using it compared to the Pro Pipe.
Yes. Not to mention, the arc of the sticky det seems so unnatural to me. The bullet travels really slow and falls even slower.

Something about being "underused". Of fucking course it was, for it was rare and usually placed somewhere away from the common routes (like the dead-end bathroom in Powerhouse)...
Best weapon ever.

Oh that was another one of those comments that doesn't make any sense. I should start keeping a record of "Halo Devs Say the Darndest Things."

Hmm okay I can design around this. So how about instead, half the players spawn with pro pipes and the other half spawn with armor lock (to counter the pro pipes) and swords (because Halo needs CQC). But don't worry, the swords don't have lunge because they're medieval now. You swing them around directionally, like Mount and Blade. If you're really good you can slice grenades as they fly through the air, deactivating them. This technique would require much skill.

Sounds like Bungie describing the H3 Magnum as skillful and on the same level as the BR.

Yes. Not to mention, the arc of the sticky det seems so unnatural to me. The bullet travels really slow and falls even slower.

Press RT - Sticky Detonator (sticks to all surfaces, press again to detonate)
Hold RT - Grenade Launcher (bounces, release to detonate)

This is the best of both worlds IMO.

Top Bottom