• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Dont forget the motion sensor and its insanely splash damage

This is good right?

Guess its more like if you are comfortable to heard them say everything in their spanish like "Taitan" or "Marinees" instead of "Titan" and "Marins".

I personally dislike it and was confortable with the latinamerican voices in Halo. ( The recent ones were okay I guess)

Never forget "Erredosdedos" for R2D2 and "Trecepedos" for 3CPO

FyreWulff

Press RT - Sticky Detonator (sticks to all surfaces, press again to detonate)
Hold RT - Grenade Launcher (bounces, release to detonate)

pUQyBlD.gif

FyreWulff

Man Pefect Dark XBLA looked so nice. Shame everyone ditched it :(
(Make that a free game with gold too!)

4J tweeted out that they finally released it for Japan's XBLA.. last week :lol Probably not going to go free for a while. The matchmaking would probably still be dead with 4J's horrible playlist implementation.

Seriously.

An FPS with team modes where you cannot search as a team. You can't take parties into matchmaking. (And other issues) You have to all go in by yourselves and hope you get put into the same game.

And in private games online, you can't even choose which team you're on. You can only select your team in offline splitscreen. 4J did not do a good job with the online implementation (netcode is good, though)

wwm0nkey

4J tweeted out that they finally released it for Japan's XBLA.. last week :lol Probably not going to go free for a while. The matchmaking would probably still be dead with 4J's horrible playlist implementation.

Seriously.

An FPS with team modes where you cannot search as a team. You can't take parties into matchmaking. (And other issues) You have to all go in by yourselves and hope you get put into the same game.

And in private games online, you can't even choose which team you're on. You can only select your team in offline splitscreen. 4J did not do a good job with the online implementation (netcode is good, though)

Yeah 4J really did mess that up but I would still happily play FFA with my friends though!

One game I wish I played more of back in the day.. It's a shame because I know I would've LOVED that game with all the crazy shit it had; laptop gun, aliens, bots, etc.

An age old question though; Goldeneye vs PD. DAT 007 'nade launcher though! Reach's version is the only one that's ever come close to replicating that sort of fun.

One of the things that killed Halo Wars' longevity IMO. They should've allowed parties of 2 to search for 3v3s, but also get matched with another party of 2.. you know, like the two Halo games before it lol.

One of the things that killed Halo Wars' longevity IMO. They should've allowed parties of 2 to search for 3v3s, but also get matched with another party of 2.. you know, like the two Halo games before it lol.

I think you could?

I played 2vs2 with my friend or you were saying against another group of two?

FyreWulff

It was kind of annoying, but for Wars I saw what they were doing. They didn't want teams stomping randoms, which in an RTS that can either be over fast or a slugfest, you don't want that mismatch. I think the team v team / randoms vs randoms separation is probably a reason why Wars matchmaking is still alive even now. The coordinated teams only play coordinated teams, and randoms play randoms and you're all at a similar skill level.

They should have had an FFA mode of some sort, though.

Well shots-to-kill is irrelevant if you don't also consider the time-to-kill. The SAW takes more shots to kill than the DMR does, but it kills more rapidly.

No one ever said the 3sk was all there is to skill. The point is that a faster game with a deeper shooting skill-gap actually enhances those other skills. Later Halo may seem like they have more teamwork, but that's simply because teamwork is the ONLY skill.

These numbers are completely irrelevant without any context. The average player DID NOT have an average 4-5 shot kill in Halo CE. That's simply wrong. And if we're talking about any Halo game with a 4 shot kill BR, the average player killed in 4-5 shots simply because the weapons were so damn easy to use.

The bottom line is, if you have 2 or more people shooting at you, you are at a severe disadvantage in any Halo game. The difference is that in Halo CE, you actually had a chance to make the other players miss and fight back. If you got the drop on two players in Halo CE you could, with skill, take one of them down before they both had a chance to turn and teamshot you.

If you read my post instead of riding your 3SK assumption you'll see most of what I'm talking about regarding context is online latency. CE will never port directly to online unless quantum computing/Internet becomes a reality. As for game mechanics and changes throughout the series way over 50% of what is tweaked or altered is to make online play appear real. It's all an estimation and smoke and mirrors to appear like a smooth LAN game.

Time to kill is exactly what my posts are all about, when you make such a short kill time in the average or even further the min. kill time then online play become unfair.

I call BS on just CE solo play, the same applies in any Halo, you can simply get the drop on teamwork and grenade to finish 2 players off. You can bounce a grenade off a wall or leave a plasma around a corner when being pursued by 2 attackers etc. You can tip the balance by controlling/getting a power weapon etc.

As for average players, I would class my brother as an average Halo guy, even he played hundreds of games of CE, 2 & 3 with a little Reach and now doesn't really play games anymore. The point being he would easily kill in 4-6 shots with the CE pistol on maps like Battle Creek, Hang 'Em High, Damnation or Longest. I also had no issue in those kill times and both of us would frequently enough kill in 3SK too.

I'm glad we have these discussions on here because it exposes the common misconceptions of Halo 1's gameplay design that an overwhelming number of people seem to have. It really puts things into perspective how little of Halo's fanbase experienced that game at its full potential in its prime.

What a shame. My baby will never get to experience the joys of XBL ;[

A bit elitist don't you think mate? Take a look at my gamertag history and see how much experience I have with Halo multiplayer. It's a shame CE statistics aren't available as you'd have a better appreciation for just how much CE I did in fact play.

Unless CELive has absolutely perfect netcode, I can't see it transitioning well. The gameplay mechanics are solid, but a lot of Halo 2's "innovations" were deliberate workarounds to having to deal with debatable netcode..

This man gets it. Aside from mechanics online factors are the most detrimental to gameplay, skill and fairness. Don't even get me started on how many times I've died due to network prediction connecting a melee I dodged or a plasma I had already side stepped etc.

Does anybody still play Halo 4?

Yes indeed, for me the netcode and host selection is on par or greater than Reach and therefore the most enjoyable. When I combine the turbo update I enjoy CTF and ricochet. Now if we could take map design from CE/2, filters from Reach, toggles from BF3, dedis from Halo X1, firefight from ODST, custom in game characters from Reach etc. we'd really have the best title yet in next gen Halo.

It was kind of annoying, but for Wars I saw what they were doing. They didn't want teams stomping randoms, which in an RTS that can either be over fast or a slugfest, you don't want that mismatch. I think the team v team / randoms vs randoms separation is probably a reason why Wars matchmaking is still alive even now. The coordinated teams only play coordinated teams, and randoms play randoms and you're all at a similar skill level.

Yeah that's definitely what they were going for, but it's not something I would've left out of a game. Options >

That's also something that could be fixed for Halo Wars 2 by adding in a search filter.

A bit elitist don't you think mate? Take a look at my gamertag history and see how much experience I have with Halo multiplayer. It's a shame CE statistics aren't available as you'd have a better appreciation for just how much CE I did in fact play.

Wasn't singling you out, more talking in general. And if what you say is true, then I don't see how you could ever compare Reach's Anniversary Pistol to CE's lol

EDIT:
Ah, I get it that wasnt possible right? I think they only patched some rushes in MM but never touched that issue since they focused more in competitive settings than casual matchmaking.

Yeah I think the HW team did a great job with that game post-release. Surprising to not see a sequel after this many years and after receiving success both critically and with its fanbase.

Halo Wars got about 4 or 5 title updates from Robot after release. They were pretty aggressive about rebalancing it. Although quite a bit of each update is "goddamnit we have to nerf Anders AGAIN"

Warthog rush and Cryo Bomb killstreaks for Halo 5.

Searching for 3v3s as a party of 2. You should be able to get partied with one random, while getting matched up against a team consisting of another party of 2 + 1 one random.

EDIT:

Yeah that's definitely what they were going for, but it's not something I would've left out of a game. Options >

Ah, I get it that wasnt possible right? I think they only patched some rushes in MM but never touched that issue since they focused more in competitive settings than casual matchmaking.

FyreWulff

Halo Wars got about 4 or 5 title updates from Robot after release. They were pretty aggressive about rebalancing it. Although quite a bit of each update is "goddamnit we have to nerf Anders AGAIN"

Anyone here got any spare XBL trial codes?

It's not for me, but a friend. I didn't have any left to pass on to him.

Could you please PM them, if you have any. Thank you for your cooperation.

Shit's going down in this thread

-CoD: Ghosts might be 720p on Xbone, 1080p on PS4
-Apparently Xbox One's OS crashes often
-Maybe more? I dunno.

What in the hell is going on

edit: even the mods are freaking out. what
I don't think that guy works for Microsoft, he wouldn't know if it is 720p, he's assuming. I've seen him around a lot, he joined around the time of the Xbox One reveal. Never seemed like an insider to me.

EDIT: Seems it isn't just that guy. Wow. Holy shit Microsoft fucked up badly if fucking CoD can't run at 1080p. It's fucking Call of Duty. Now I'm wondering if developers are just not willing to optimize the S-RAM, or if the Xbox One is really that weak. I just... can't believe CoD will be 720p on Xbox One and 1080p on Playstation 4. (But then again, to be fair I don't think the resolution will be different between Xbox One and PS4 on any other Multi-platform title.)

Top Bottom