• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Stop givin me boners ova hear

image.php

=
D
~

PS4 is the vastly more powerful system its going to have performance increasing such has higher framerate and better AA and better textures (if dev's bother to draw higher res) in many if not all multiplatform games. Accept that as a fact.

I still don't give a shit. Xbone for Multiplatform with friends and Exclusives. PS4 when shit I actually give a damn about comes out. If i was that interested in having uber performance from games I'd be playing on a Ultra High End PC with supersampling and 16k resolutions.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't think that guy works for Microsoft, he wouldn't know if it is 720p, he's assuming. I've seen him around a lot, he joined around the time of the Xbox One reveal. Never seemed like an insider to me.

EDIT: Seems it isn't just that guy. Wow. Holy shit Microsoft fucked up badly if fucking CoD can't run at 1080p. It's fucking Call of Duty. Now I'm wondering if developers are just not willing to optimize the S-RAM, or if the Xbox One is really that weak. I just... can't believe CoD will be 720p on Xbox One and 1080p on Playstation 4. (But then again, to be fair I don't think the resolution will be different between Xbox One and PS4 on any other Multi-platform title.)

Mods verify anyone who claims to have info. He's legitimate. No idea if the OS has been fixed (surely one of the biggest corporations in the world can get it sorted out), but it's still a huge deal if consoles ship like that for even just a few days.

Also, rumors have been going around that multiplats are higher res on PS4. Obviously it's just a rumor, but still interesting nonetheless.

Also, rumors have been going around that multiplats are higher res on PS4. Obviously it's just a rumor, but still interesting nonetheless.

It's going to be true because of the massive discrepency in power between the two. That said the average joe won't give a toss and unless you're stuck in that middle section between casual enough to not give a shit and concerned enough to own a gaming pc then it won't matter.

Mods verify anyone who claims to have info. He's legitimate. No idea if the OS has been fixed (surely one of the biggest corporations in the world can get it sorted out), but it's still a huge deal if consoles ship like that for even just a few days.

Ugh, I can understand a title that's pushing the consoles with intense graphics, like Battlefield 4, being lower res on the One compared to PS4, but seriously, Call of Duty: Ghost?

I've already decided to mainly play Ghost on my Xbox One, but if it's better on the PS4, I might as well mainly play it on there. Funny, since my PS4 was only going to be purchased along with an extra Dualshock 4 and Call of Duty Ghost.

It's going to be true because of the massive discrepency in power between the two. That said the average joe won't give a toss and unless you're stuck in that middle section between casual enough to not give a shit and concerned enough to own a gaming pc then it won't matter.

lol I'm venting my disappointment with a school friend of mine while we party chat over GTA V, he responded with "Is 720p bad or something?" lol the average joe doesn't care, I do however :p

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'd say it depends on how it's marketed. If Sony can push their multiplatform games as the superior version, it could stick with consumers. For the hardcore audience, or me at least, it means I'd rather go with PS4 for higher res multiplats and maybe pick up an XB1 if Microsoft makes a solid exclusive.

Madness

Just don't understand how Microsoft can mess up so badly on a lot of things with this console.

With TitanFall having dedicated servers on xbox 360, I'm probably just going to get it for current gen, and then maybe pick up a Destiny PS4 bundle.

Only thing holding me for Xbox One is probably Halo 5 and a Halo 2 Anniversary release. And even then, it's looking grim.

wwm0nkey

Yeah marketing "HEY! Multi-plat games look better on our system and its $100 cheaper" wont really be that hard to do, throw in some stuff about PS+ and ect and there you go, you have an effective ad.

I'd say it depends on how it's marketed. If Sony can push their multiplatform games as the superior version, it could stick with consumers. For the hardcore audience, or me at least, it means I'd rather go with PS4 for higher res multiplats and maybe pick up an XB1 if Microsoft makes a solid exclusive.

I don't think any statements have ever been made in official marketing that even strongly imply one console was more powerful than another EVER.

I mean I could absolutely be wrong being in the UK I have only seen a percentage of advertisment for consoles but I can't see sony coming out and saying "We are much more powerful than the Xbone buy out shit instead". Other than "Play the best version" like Nvidia's "the way it's meant to be played" style advertisments which people won't even give a second thought.

I think public reception will be "Ps4 is more powerful" I heard that when the ps3 launched too and look how the reception to those consoles was by the public. They buy what buddies buy or whats cheapest. In both regards it will be a PS4 this time around, Xbone has the uphill battle but some strong exclusives can change that within a year.

I don't care who wins I just don't want to see Xbone end up like the WiiU

Just don't understand how Microsoft can mess up so badly on a lot of things with this console.

With TitanFall having dedicated servers on xbox 360, I'm probably just going to get it for current gen, and then maybe pick up a Destiny PS4 bundle.

Only thing holding me for Xbox One is probably Halo 5 and a Halo 2 Anniversary release. And even then, it's looking grim.

It's seriously so disappointing. Every week something comes up making me consider making the PS4 my main Next Gen console. If I didn't prefer the Xbox One controller over the Dualshock 4, and love Forza so much, I'd pretty much cancel my Xbox One Pre-Order. I really hope the Call of Duty news isn't true.

wwm0nkey

I don't think any statements have ever been made in official marketing that even strongly imply one console was more powerful than another EVER.

I mean I could absolutely be wrong being in the UK I have only seen a percentage of advertisment for consoles but I can't see sony coming out and saying "We are much more powerful than the Xbone buy out shit instead". Other than "Play the best version" like Nvidia's "the way it's meant to be played" style advertisments which people won't even give a second thought.

I think public reception will be "Ps4 is more powerful" I heard that when the ps3 launched too and look how the reception to those consoles was by the public. They buy what buddies buy or whats cheapest. In both regards it will be a PS4 this time around, Xbone has the uphill battle but some strong exclusives can change that within a year.

Xbox One wont end up like the WiiU.

I want to know what will happen to their partnetship after all this mess, it looks like it will end this year.

MS only have Halo now.

Woorloog

Banned

I doubt Xbone will have that hard time. Perhaps a rough start but then no bigger problems (especially if they manage to push out Kinectless SKU, that combined with Halos would draw me in, probably), though i feel PS4 will still beat it in the long run (i reckon the power differences will be much more visible as time goes, and that may affect Xbone negatively).

I want to knoe what will happen to their partnetship after all this mess, it looks like it will end this year.

If Xbox One sales aren't comparable to Playstation 4 CoD sales, I don't see Microsoft being able to offer Activision enough money to deny early DLC access to the majority userbase this time. Xbox 360 usually barely outsold Playstation 3 versions of Call of Duty, so unless the Xbox One continues to outsell the Playstation 4 sku, or can at least compare to it, no way Activision will continue their contract. Apparently their contract was extended no? It was suppose to end with Black Ops 2, wasn't it? Wonder how long it was extended for.

wwm0nkey

I doubt Xbone will have that hard time. Perhaps a rough start but then no bigger problems (especially if they manage to push out Kinectless SKU, that combined with Halos would draw me in, probably), though i feel PS4 will still beat it in the long run (i reckon the power differences will be much more visible as time goes, and that may affect Xbone negatively).

Kinect-less Xbox One after a price drop for $300-350 is when I will get one

Woorloog

Banned
If Xbox One sales aren't comparable to Playstation 4 CoD sales, I don't see Microsoft being able to offer Activision enough money to deny early DLC access to the majority userbase this time. Xbox 360 usually barely outsold Playstation 3 versions of Call of Duty, so unless the Xbox One continues to outsell the Playstation 4 sku, or can at least compare to it, no way Activision will continue their contract. Apparently their contract was extended no? It was suppose to end with Black Ops 2, wasn't it? Wonder how long it was extended for.

Should be noted that Activision is betting on both sides, no? They clearly, along with Bungie, promote Destiny on PlayStation... Win-win.

Should be noted that Activision is betting on both sides, no? They clearly, along with Bungie, promote Destiny on PlayStation... Win-win.

Speaking of Bungie and Destiny, I still would like to know how Microsoft fucked that one up. Even in the early contract leak for Destiny, it mentioned a partnership with Microsoft. I want to know why Microsoft didn't receive DLC and promotional rights to Destiny. Did they just not want it? Did Sony offer more than Microsoft was willing to pay? I don't know how Microsoft let Destiny, the next big IP by the developers who made Halo, the freaking franchise that saved the Xbox, slip out of their hands.

Microsoft just made mistakes after mistakes these last few years.

wwm0nkey

Uh oh, apparently we've been linked to reddit

GAF crash incoming

Yeah. I'd love to play Killer Instinct, but I'll wait. Or the inevitable Halo bundle.

I assume the Halo Bundle will be around the time of the first price drop....or close enough to the Holidays there will be Black Friday deals.

Defect

Speaking of Bungie and Destiny, I still would like to know how Microsoft fucked that one up. Even in the early contract leak for Destiny, it mentioned a partnership with Microsoft. I want to know why Microsoft didn't receive DLC and promotional rights to Destiny. Did they just not want it? Did Sony offer more than Microsoft was willing to pay? I don't know how Microsoft let Destiny, the next big IP by the developers who made Halo, the freaking franchise that saved the Xbox, slip out of their hands.

Wasn't Destiny supposed to come out on Xbox for the first year then Playstation?

Woorloog

Banned
Wasn't Destiny supposed to come out on Xbox for the first year then Playstation?

The old contract did hint to something like that but it was leaked (might mean changing it?), and it was old (most certainly can... will have changed since then).
It didn't specify next-gen versions for first Destiny for example...

The real question is how much did Bungie pay MS to buy themselves back? Microsoft would have made some real coin out of that deal I'm sure.

Fracas

#fuckonami
"Fuck me next gen Halo is already shaping up to be a serious contender for the best in the series" is still the best post in a Halo thread in months.

blamite

The way I understood it, they ere only obligated to release on 360, with the option to release on Playstation at launch or afterwards if it was feasible to do so. But that contract was pretty old by the time it leaked anyway.

HTupolev

Now I'm wondering if developers are just not willing to optimize the S-RAM
An alternate explaination is that using lower resolutions IS optimizing on a platform with a small SRAM pool. When buffer size starts to incur its own cost, the way to squeeze out the "most performance" (whatever the hell you want to take that to mean) may very well be to use a smaller buffer.

Obviously you need more render output bandwidth to fill bigger buffers, but historically, buffer size has seemed to be a more prominant factor. The Playstation 3's lower GPU bandwidth didn't cause it to lose resolution compared with the 360. And despite the GPU being bandwidth-starved, the original Xbox was the 720p-capable monster of its day.
The PS4 not only doesn't have an issue with memory pool size, it's not horribly outclassed in bandwidth either.

It might not be "we won't bother figuring out how to use XBO's SRAM" so much as "we know exactly how to use the SRAM, which is why our resolutions are reduced."

But guys, 343 "gets it"

I understand how hopeful people want to be, because we think that it couldn't get any worse than Halo 4, and we said the same thing with Reach, and look at that. We need to look at this from a non-objective point of view, and be ready to step away from the franchise.

heckfu

Banned
You guys keep referring to these things. Now what does this mean

One time, in one of the world's best halogaf posts, Ozzy told us all (as if shouting from a mountaintop) that he had actual people send him PMs just THANKING him for defending Halo 4.

When asked to see the PMs he went silent...strange...

But guys, 343 "gets it"

I understand how hopeful people want to be, because we think that it couldn't get any worse than Halo 4, and we said the same thing with Reach, and look at that. We need to look at this from a non-objective point of view, and be ready to step away from the franchise.

ads incoming for halo 5.

Top Bottom