• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I'm excited for 60 FPS and dedis, too, but c'mon. Without knowing more context, that statement sounds pretty ridiculous.

Each to their own. When I've had to deal with USA host for most games, even now in 4 or Reach with region matching I'm excited about dedis more than any game mechanics. Even when we organise a full Aussie party it's still a crap shoot for host and game quality. I am especially excited that Microsoft have a Sydney Azure datacentre now and are completing a Melbourne Azure datacentre before Halo X1 launches. I live in Melbourne, for reference.

It's great you guys focus on mechanics so much, you generally have solid connections in game (2/3/Reach/4) so you just don't have the same experience that international players do, primarily speaking about Australia. Imagine almost every time you outplay an enemy or team you still end up dying from a bullet/grenade they never should have got off, or a sticky you dodged 200ms ago, or shoot a rocket only to kill yourself in the back, or literally can't use a teleporter (2/3 & a bit in Reach) due to latency etc you get very sick of competing on an unfair playground. That's not even taking into consideration host cheating, again dedis are magnitudes better at reducing cheating and increasing game quality. What's that? You want rank to be in game and mean something? How about the accuracy of statistics that dedis provide over fucked stats from P2P/host migrations/cheating etc.

Regional dedis with how I think they're going to be implemented are more than enough for me to put Halo X1 in the contender category. The visual quality, animations, voice acting etc of Halo 4 and the story for me has me excited for campaign. In terms of what dedis could do for SPOPS/firefight input latency again I put Halo X1 into contender class.

Overall if you look at the post being mentioned what part of those 15+ points doesn't have you excited for Halo X1 exactly?

One time, in one of the world's best halogaf posts, Ozzy told us all (as if shouting from a mountaintop) that he had actual people send him PMs just THANKING him for defending Halo 4.

When asked to see the PMs he went silent...strange...

Ban bait, the truth is out there.

Basically theres a few important questions we need to decide if Halo 5 is going to be good.

1. Who has the pull at 343i, are they their own company or is M$ ultimately making the decisions saying "Here's what we want. Lets chase that CoD shit" Or is 343i solely making the games design decisions. How influential are the players there? Frankerlin Kevins, Joshy James Homes, Quinn De la Hoya and Bravery.

2. Is 343i a company that assesses facts and makes decisions based on facts. Or do they illogically move forward with projects.

Clearly Halo sells well. Clearly Halo 4 MP is the least enjoyed MP statistically. So using these facts they must go back to previous iterations.

I think if the answer to 1 is 343i, and the answer to 2 is Yes, then Halo 5 has a chance. If any other answers are involved, its an immediate fail.

Basically theres a few important questions we need to decide if Halo 5 is going to be good.

1. Who has the pull at 343i, are they their own company or is M$ ultimately making the decisions saying "Here's what we want. Lets chase that CoD shit" Or is 343i solely making the games design decisions. How influential are the players there? Frankerlin Kevins, Joshy James Homes, Quinn De la Hoya and Bravery.

2. Is 343i a company that assesses facts and makes decisions based on facts. Or do they illogically move forward with projects.

Clearly Halo sells well. Clearly Halo 4 MP is the least enjoyed MP statistically. So using these facts they must go back to previous iterations.

I think if the answer to 1 is 343i, and the answer to 2 is Yes, then Halo 5 has a chance. If any other answers are involved, its an immediate fail.

I still want to know this for the other Halo games.

Huh a US centric wrestling clip in response to a Halo veteran posting about online fairness. What else would I expect...

And what if MS didn't want massive player retention for Halo 4 to sell consoles/subscriptions for Halo X1? If they made a perfect game and everyone played it for years why would we "need" to buy into X1?

Take a look from the business standpoint; the later Halo 3 DLC uptake, Reach anniversary/DLC uptake and then think what profit do they actually derive from sustained population or sustaining a game already released? Besides goodwill, in fact even when they sustain a game faster than any before it and do a back flip on the launch settings they get spat on. Take a look at Reach TU/Ann. now tell me they didn't make a real attempt to bring classic Halo back (at least 70% with that Reach engine). What of Halo 4 turbo and later DLC?

Again when you ask those questions not as a hardcore competitive Halo veteran but from a business viewpoint the answers are pretty clear. Now they're on a track to host global tournies in a great format, have the experience of the engine, are moving to dedis/60fps and brought the lore back into a manageable state...hmmm and people wonder why I'm excited for Halo X1.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Random question. On the XB1 and PS4, will we be able to see people on our friends list when they're playing on the 360 and PS3/Vita? Both next gen systems migrate friend lists over, right?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Huh a US centric wrestling clip in response to a Halo veteran posting about online fairness. What else would I expect...
wat

I get that you're excited for new dedicated servers, and I agree, as that is definitely a game changer for online play. My post had absolutely nothing to do with that though.
Shit... this is what CBOAT has been talking about. I'm still gonna drop money down on XB1 & Halo 5 if 343 really put their all into it.
I'd be really, really tempted, but I don't know if I can throw down what would amount to ~$650 for a good Halo game. I'd rather have multiplats on PS4 (if they turn out to be higher res anyway), and Microsoft's exclusives have never really interested me. I'd wait for a price drop and even then, the console would just be a Halo machine to me.
Random question. On the XB1 and PS4, will we be able to see people on our friends list when they're playing on the 360 and PS3/Vita? Both next gen systems migrate friend lists over, right?
I think so

Defect

Xbox One will show your 360 friends too.

I don't think the Ps3 shows my Vita friends since I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure it'll be there for Ps4.

Karl2177

And what if MS didn't want massive player retention for Halo 4 to sell consoles/subscriptions for Halo X1? If they made a perfect game and everyone played it for years why would we "need" to buy into X1?

wait

Are you saying that Halo 4 was shit so people would buy an X1 instead of a 360? That's some fuckin' delusional shit.

guys you don't get it

us muricans grill burgers and have coney island hot dogs and hate those shifty meggsicuns, those borin'-as-hayul canadians and do nothing but muddin' and watch wrasslin' fer pleasure

a-course we ain't doin' this arguementamifyin' thing right

Fracas

#fuckonami
And what if MS didn't want massive player retention for Halo 4 to sell consoles/subscriptions for Halo X1?

tumblr_m5ucskjrhC1qht7v2o1_400.gif

You know as well as I do that that's just completely absurd.

wait

Are you saying that Halo 4 was shit so people would buy an X1 instead of a 360? That's some fuckin' delusional shit.

You think it's completely crazy to speculate in game rank was withheld from Halo 4 on purpose? I'm not saying it's a certainty but if I was about to launch a console for the next 10 years I wouldn't release a game on current gen that would keep players happy for another 5 years. I'd want great up front sales, happy customers for a year or so and a real reason to leapfrog into next generation uptake e.g. in game rank specifically.

Omni

You think it's completely crazy to speculate in game rank was withheld from Halo 4 on purpose? I'm not saying it's a certainty but if I was about to launch a console for the next 10 years I wouldn't release a game on current gen that would keep players happy for another 5 years. I'd want great up front sales, happy customers for a year or so and a real reason to leapfrog into next generation uptake e.g. in game rank specifically.

I think you're verging on the ridiculous now.

So how do you feel about Halo games coming out every two years now??

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 4 had the exact opposite effect of what you're describing here. The game turned a lot of people off the franchise and even caused them to jump the Microsoft ship entirely.

Bah, you edited. Interesting if I interpreted that right though

Do you guys think Halo for Xbox One will be 1080p? Or do you think Microsoft won't force their biggest title of next year (Unless they consider Titan Fall their biggest title... lol) made by their developers to make their game 1080p.

I'm hoping it's a standard Microsoft has for their developers, our games need to run at 1080p. Third parities don't have to, but first party does. Forza 5 is 1080p, anyone know what resolution Kinect Sports Rivals is?

Do you guys think Halo for Xbox One will be 1080p? Or do you think Microsoft won't force their biggest title of next year (Unless they consider Titan Fall their biggest title... lol) made by their developers to make their game 1080p.

I'm hoping it's a standard Microsoft has for their developers, our games need to run at 1080p. Third parities don't have to, but first party does. Forza 5 is 1080p, anyone know what resolution Kinect Sports Rivals is?

Halo 5 is going to be 60 fps so i doubt it will be 1080p too.

Knowing 343: 1080p with 48x FXAA, "buttery smooth" 60fps

If you turn your head too fast in campaign it'll go to a buttery smooth 15fps, while in multiplayer it'll be fine. Sort of. Texture popping will be PS2 levels and splitscreen will force your Xbone to implode.

Homeboyd

Ellis bout to cut the cord

Madness

This part always stuck with me when I read the Digital Foundry analysis of Halo 4.

"Perhaps this is not surprising bearing in mind that the 343i tech team had the know-how and the time to push the 360 hardware further and harder than any other developer we're aware of. Factor in how key 343i staff contributed to the development of DirectX 11 (and almost certainly, the genesis of the next-gen Xbox) and we have some idea of the spectrum of talent Microsoft put to work here."

I think 343 would have been given some of the first devkits for Xbox One. I think they might be able to pull off 1080p/60 FPS by next year.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Just looking at some launch games, Ryse is 900p/30fps, Forza is 1080p/60fps, and Killer Instinct is 720p/60fps. It's a possibility, but I don't think it will happen. I was actually surprised when 60fps was confirmed.

Oh I totally get it, they made Halo 4 shitty on purpose so everybody buys the Xbox One!!!

Thanks Ozzy, its all so clear now...

The only thing is, and I think I just have one more question left.

Are you, dead, fucking, serious? Like are you legitimately typing this shit and the things you typed dialed up your brain and synchronized agendas and are up to date on their issues? Because I swear I just cant believe this is happening?

Seriously look at my post above I'm trying to have intelligent, well designed, thoughtful conversation about Halo mate.

Don't immediately dismiss Ozzy on this one. Microsoft did this kind of thing for full games, so why does it seem unreasonable that this happened to a part of a game?

Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Ryse

Just a few examples of games that were bumped up generations; Kameo having a more complicated history. We all know about 343's situation with Halo 4 and building a new team from scrap, so why is it unreasonable to think:
Alright guys, we can either try including X and spread resources thin or we can focus on what we have so at least that's as optimal it can be. Realistically, Halo 5 is right around the corner and that Halo hype can't be stopped, especially on a new generation of hardware. Let's just mind game the fuck out of our fans and appear to "save Halo" with updates to things that should've been there day one so we can seem like the heroes to the sheep who buy into our every word.
This doesn't mean they're evil, it just means they're human and thinking strategically. High level mind games folks.

wat

I think they'll keep it at 720 so they'll be able to sell more of the next xbox.

Definitely. Seems dumb not to do that.

--------------

Seriously though, I doubt it. They probably could, but I kind of assume they'll prioritize other visual aspects of the game.

FyreWulff

No. Well, it was withheld from Halo 4 on purpose, but not for the reason you state.

The reason viewable rank in-game was already explained long ago, by both Bungie re: Reach and by 343 re: Halo 4. They stopped having visible ranks because of the detrimental effect it had on the playerbase with account sales, account stealing, and it causing cheating, amongst a collection of other effects.

Bungie's solution was to drop the ranked/social split and have Arena reset itself every X months, making it nonviable to boost accounts and sell them. 343's solution was to basically have playlists exist in a multidimensional rift where they're both ranked and unranked. People that like ranks go to the site to check their rank and improve it, most of the playerbase doesn't see the ranks, so account sellers have nobody to sell to still. CSR was/is intended as what you go for after hitting SR130, in their words.

Omni

Absolutely not. They're trying to achieve 60fps, remember.

Hope for 900p. Expect 720.

No. Well, it was withheld from Halo 4 on purpose, but not for the reason you state.

The reason viewable rank in-game was already explained long ago, by both Bungie re: Reach and by 343 re: Halo 4. They stopped having visible ranks because of the detrimental effect it had on the playerbase with account sales, account stealing, and it causing cheating, amongst a collection of other effects.

Bungie's solution was to drop the ranked/social split and have Arena reset itself every X months, making it nonviable to boost accounts and sell them. 343's solution was to basically have playlists exist in a multidimensional rift where they're both ranked and unranked. People that like ranks go to the site to check their rank and improve it, most of the playerbase doesn't see the ranks, so account sellers have nobody to sell to still. CSR was/is intended as what you go for after hitting SR130, in their words.

I never liked their reasoning for it. Cheaters, account sellers, boosters, etc, all remained regardless of having a TrueSkill rank. In my opinion, TrueSkill being exchanged for a Progression based ranking system damaged the community more. Thanks to the progression based ranking system, you still had the unwanted members of the community, they're behavior just changed. In Reach you had players jump into games, AFK, and basically ruin the game by not playing. They still got their XP, and they just repeated it for days. You also had more players objective holding in order to make sure games go for a longer duration to get more XP. There was no real motivation to NOT objective hold. You win in 3 minutes? Great you get nothing except 500 XP. You objective hold and spawn kill for 15 minutes? You bastard here's 3000 XP plus another 500 XP gained from kills. You also DID have players selling their Inheritors, it just took too god damn long to achieve people hardly could sell them.

I honestly don't remember anything about how the progression ranking system in Halo 4 works since it's been so damn long since I played that trashy game, but I remember it was still bad. A little better than Reach, but still bad. Just now people didn't sell their SR 130 because everyone and their mothers who played Halo 4 for a month received a SR 130. This time around people just sold their Pre-Order exclusive codes and Console exclusive codes and Limited Edition codes.

The removal of TrueSkill is one of the worst decisions Bungie made regarding Halo, and a decision 343 shouldn't had kept. All it did was make Skilled Players have to play with the lower skilled players, causing un-even match ups. Games were no longer intense and challenging. 99% of the time you either stomp the other team, or get stomped. 1% you get a match that reminds you how good and fun competitive Halo used to, and makes you enjoy playing Halo.

Knowing 343: 1080p with 48x FXAA, "buttery smooth" 60fps

If you turn your head too fast in campaign it'll go to a buttery smooth 15fps, while in multiplayer it'll be fine. Sort of. Texture popping will be PS2 levels and splitscreen will force your Xbone to implode.

Don't forget the fact that zooming with any weapon will cause your system to drop 20 frames and screw up any chance you had of nailing that headshot.

HTupolev

I'm not saying it's a certainty but if I was about to launch a console for the next 10 years I wouldn't release a game on current gen that would keep players happy for another 5 years. I'd want great up front sales, happy customers for a year or so and a real reason to leapfrog into next generation uptake e.g. in game rank specifically.
Even if I hadn't just spent the last couple months playing JRPGs on my new PS3, that would strike me as a highly suspect strategy.

FyreWulff

The removal of TrueSkill is one of the worst decisions Bungie made regarding Halo, and a decision 343 shouldn't had kept. All it did was make Skilled Players have to play with the lower skilled players, causing un-even match ups. Games were no longer intense and challenging. 99% of the time you either stomp the other team, or get stomped. 1% you get a match that reminds you how good and fun competitive Halo used to, and makes you enjoy playing Halo.

Trueskill is still there in Reach and 4. You just don't see a 1-50 number for it any more.

Arena had the strictest TS parameters out of all of Reach's playlist and theoretically the most closely skill matched games. Every other playlist's TS weightings were also not all equal. Some were adjusted by Bungie and 343 to get the game quality/search time balance they wanted.

It should be noted that your experience also depends on how many games you play. If you only play 15 games in a 4v4 playlist, it doesn't have enough data yet to figure out your Trueskill. If you've played 500 games in Team Slayer though, you should be getting fairly competitive games.

TS strictness also has an impact on search times. Stricter = slower matching.

I agree with Bungie/343i in tackling the cheating/selling/boosting but not to the extent of removing in game rank or not having a persistent highest achieved rank (hence why I never played Arena). It just seems like my speculation would be the tipping point. I'm curious how Frankie's posts about perhaps dedis and future tech improve anti-cheating processes where in game rank can return will play out. Same goes for Josh's ranked vs. social comment.

We all want it back, whatever the reason(s) for removal.

Trueskill is still there in Reach and 4. You just don't see a 1-50 number for it any more. TS strictness also has an impact on search times. Stricter = slower matching.

Doesn't it also depend on available player pools e.g. population at a given time and playlist? I thought the parameters widened the longer your search times went.

Top Bottom