• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Karl2177

IMDB entry on mobile has Joseph Staten as the writer for Halo TV series...legit?

p3HvPFk.png

That page has said that since 2007.

Maybe you should wait for actual verified news instead of making your buying decisions based on Sony fanboy forum posts.

The PS4 is 40% more powerful than the XBO, and of course MS isn't going to come out and say that their UI hangs, or their games are having trouble rendering in anything higher than 720p. At this point, I don't know where I'll go, I hate PC gaming because KB+M feels clunky to me, and all of the elitists, I've never been a fan of Playstation as a brand, and Xbox is going down the drain as of right now.

What have Halo 3 activity numbers been like since the free release?

The counters have said upto 45k, but they're borked, and 80% of the new population will be hanging out in either Lone Wolves, Team Slayer, Social Slayer, or Multi-Team. :p

Mindwipe

I would really rather see Halo 5 be 720p if it helped it stay at 60fps and allowed for bigger environments with more going on and bigger set pieces. I really didn't like how Halo 4 traded off it's graphics for feeling very, very claustophobic and on rails a lot of the time, and how there were no interesting large things to fight or tank battles or anything.

(This is not fanboy defending of MS for shipping an underpowered console, just an acceptance of what it is and that I'd rather have more Halo 3 esque campaign gameplay than a higher resolution or lower framerate if I have to choose in the constraints.)

Go where the games you're interested are. It's actually that simple.

Ding Ding Ding.

It's why I will not be getting a PS4 until later. Xbox One at launch because I care about Forza, Both DR3 and Ryse look fun, KI really interests me and my buddies are all get Xbox One's. Only thing I'm even interested in with PS4 is The order 1886 which won't be out for a good long while and Killzone which judging by how I felt about K1-3 I won't enjoy that much for its gameplay.

I'll grab battlefield 4 on Xbone and then once I have a good gaming PC double dip.

Why would they care, both games sold a crap-ton and both are Xbox exclusives.

Why would MS care? Public acknowledgement of an oopsie (like Halo 4 MP being really really bad) is an absolute imperative no-no. Remember "14 day buy and try"? Whole scheme was erected because they were afraid to say "Friggen tech dude was hungover and accidentally made the stuff free" and what a clever ruse that was!

Lets just hope for the best which is a silent acknowledgement and a 180 on all things current Halo.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yep, and for me it is that I don't want to miss out on anything I could like so I have a top notch pc, will get both next gen consoles and will gladly igjore the Wii U till late 2014 when X drops

For those who complain about Halo 4's replay value for the Campaign, how often did you replay the past Campaigns?

Personally, I enjoyed the Scarab fights in Halo 3 but I'd be lying if I said I replayed them over and over because of how fun they were. Sure I want a great Campaign, but if they have to cut it down to use more of those resources on Multiplayer then I'm all for it. The only Campaign I replayed several times was CE because it was a brand new experience going on such a grand adventure. Halo 2 released with XBL which sucked away all my time and Halo 3 released with 4p coop, so after beating it solo and coop I felt I had seen it all. Reach had Campaign Matchmaking but we all saw how low the population was for that.

Overall, Halo 4 received critical success with most reviewers despite its Campaign flaws, so how hopeful are you guys that we'll receive a vastly superior Campaign experience?

For me, I'm fine with any kind of flavor for Halo 5's Campaign as long as its well-constructed and FUN. Realistically, I'm not looking to replay it many times, I just want an enjoyable experience that once completed, I'll have that feeling of fulfillment. People crap on CoD Campaigns for how linear and action-packed they are, but I honestly wouldn't mind a similar Campaign for Halo as long as they maintain some open spaces for large sandbox battles because most of my time goes towards the Multiplayer anyway.

Ding Ding Ding.

It's why I will not be getting a PS4 until later. Xbox One at launch because I care about Forza, Both DR3 and Ryse look fun, KI really interests me and my buddies are all get Xbox One's. Only thing I'm even interested in with PS4 is The order 1886 which won't be out for a good long while and Killzone which judging by how I felt about K1-3 I won't enjoy that much for its gameplay.

I'll grab battlefield 4 on Xbone and then once I have a good gaming PC double dip.

Can't tell you how hyped I am for Killer Instinct! I want to wait and see how Sony handles its online services for PS4 because for me, there's no comparison; XBL is far superior.

Kind of blows when both systems both systems have games your interested in. :p Getting both of them at launch for different sets of games. Xbox One is being purchased to play Forza Motorsports 5, and the eventual Dance Central 4 and Halo 5, and I'll buy most third parties on her as well.

Playstation 4 purchased for The Last of Us 2, Destiny, and Watch_Dogs.

I just hope I don't make the same mistake with the PS4 that I made with the PS3. Purchase it with the assumption that a game that I find good and interesting comes out, and then nothing does until the last year. Seriously since 2007 when I got that damn thing, I didn't enjoy or purchase any exclusives until The Last of Us. :/ Naughty Dog better release The Last of Us 2 before they make another Uncharted!

Any other good exclusives like Titan Fall, Dead Rising 3, etc, are just bonuses.

Conor 419

Banned
For those who complain about Halo 4's replay value for the Campaign, how often did you replay the past Campaigns?

Personally, I enjoyed the Scarab fights in Halo 3 but I'd be lying if I said I replayed them over and over because of how fun they were. Sure I want a great Campaign, but if they have to cut it down to use more of those resources on Multiplayer then I'm all for it. The only Campaign I replayed several times was CE because it was a brand new experience going on such a grand adventure. Halo 2 released with XBL which sucked away all my time and Halo 3 released with 4p coop, so after beating it solo and coop I felt I had seen it all. Reach had Campaign Matchmaking but we all saw how low the population was for that.

Overall, Halo 4 received critical success with most reviewers despite its Campaign flaws, so how hopeful are you guys that we'll receive a vastly superior Campaign experience?

For me, I'm fine with any kind of flavor for Halo 5's Campaign as long as its well-constructed and FUN. Realistically, I'm not looking to replay it many times, I just want an enjoyable experience that once completed, I'll have that feeling of fulfillment. People crap on CoD Campaigns for how linear and action-packed they are, but I honestly wouldn't mind a similar Campaign for Halo as long as they maintain some open spaces for large sandbox battles because most of my time goes towards the Multiplayer anyway.

Can't tell you how hyped I am for Killer Instinct! I want to wait and see how Sony handles its online services for PS4 because for me, there's no comparison; XBL is far superior.

I replayed Halo 3 thirty six times, I am not joking. Halo 4's campaign is a fucking joke in comparison and there is no hope for the future of the series.

Nebula

I've only partially replayed Halo 4s campaign and that was because I promised a friend I would Co-op it with him. We never even finished it.

Kind of blows when both systems both systems have games your interested in. :p Getting both of them at launch for different sets of games. Xbox One is being purchased to play Forza Motorsports 5, and the eventual Dance Central 4 and Halo 5, and I'll buy most third parties on her as well.

Playstation 4 purchased for The Last of Us 2, Destiny, and Watch_Dogs.

I just hope I don't make the same mistake with the PS4 that I made with the PS3. Purchase it with the assumption that a game that I find good and interesting comes out, and then nothing does until the last year. Seriously since 2007 when I got that damn thing, I didn't enjoy or purchase any exclusives until The Last of Us. :/ Naughty Dog better release The Last of Us 2 before they make another Uncharted!

Any other good exclusives like Titan Fall, Dead Rising 3, etc, are just bonuses.

Play the Ratchet and Clank Future games. Some of the best PS3 exclusives.

On the subject of replaying campaigns. I've replayed Halo 4 twice. Once on Legendary solo, and once in co-op. It's just not on the level of Bungie's campaigns for multiple reasons. I have no desire to replay it. I've replayed Reach maybe 5 or 6 times, Halo 3 at least 30 times, Halo 2 more than 30 also, and Halo CE probably 100 times.

I replayed Halo 3 thirty six times, I am not joking. Halo 4's campaign is a fucking joke in comparison and there is no hope for the future of the series.

You replayed it as in from start to finish or just dabbled around certain areas? 36 times is bananas.

Play the Ratchet and Clank Future games. Some of the best PS3 exclusives.

On the subject of replaying campaigns. I've replayed Halo 4 twice. Once on Legendary solo, and once in co-op. It's just not on the level of Bungie's campaigns for multiple reasons. I have no desire to replay it. I've replayed Reach maybe 5 or 6 times, Halo 3 at least 30 times, Halo 2 more than 30 also, and Halo CE probably 100 times.

Those numbers are insane too!

Why are Halo 3s servers down, did 343 get desperate to get people back to Halo 4?

Joking ofc

Step 1: Release Halo 4 to experiment with perks and shit
Step 2: If fans hate it, update the game to resemble "classic" Halo
Step 3: Release Halo 3 for free to get a lot of fans back to Halo
Step 4: Cut out Halo 3 and hopefully more people will play Halo 4
Step 5: If people still don't play Halo 4, continue to make Halo 5 like Halo 4 so maybe people will play it more this time

Karl2177

CE, I've played through the first half a lot of times. Library and Keyes aren't the best to replay. 2, I'll play through everything but Sacred Icon/Quarantine Zone and High Charity. 3 I go through everything but Cortana(I've played through The Ark over 100 times). ODST, I'll replay the entire thing once in a while. Reach I've replayed a couple times. 4 just once on Legendary to get the achievement.

Man I would love this in firefight (COD Ghosts: Squad Mode)

Care Package drops, rotating 'mini' objectives, AI medics, weapon levels...

Is FF even coming back :/

So much potential.. There needs to be more Halo output than just relying on the mainline games to get our fix.

Just release FF with a fully realized Versus Mode (think Gears Judgment's OverRun) as its own package/service that can be updated frequently thanks to the infinite power of the cloud! Give it an open world and add missions on the fly; the potential is limitless.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Well the thing about fun is that it should last longer. Frankie (IIRC) had gone on record saying that the majority only plays Halo for the campaign and MP goes untouched. With that in mind, I would imagine the campaign having high replay value would itself be a high priority. You see it isn't that 343 doesn't know how to make good Halo, they admitted to making "traditional Halo" and as we know they then decisively went in a different direction. I've personally replayed the campaign's several times over for one reason or another. Sure you could point to reviews as a reason to slouch, but I find it hard to imagine any developer purposefully slouching. This is after all a creative business and creative people are generally passionate about their work.

As for what you'd like out of Halo 5, the issue is that you got exactly what you want from Halo 4 and well that wasn't so great. Halo 4 was linear with "open spaces", but the sandbox just wasn't there, it was just a gang of brain-dead enemies, bullet sponges and scripted set pieces.

Serious question: if Campaign takes precedence, why not create a dynamic campaign (think Metroid but a little more compartmentalized) and a linear multiplayer? When I say linear I don't mean invasion, I mean... streamlined. Y'know, minimalist and such.

Well the thing about fun is that it should last longer. Frankie (IIRC) had gone on record saying that the majority only plays Halo for the campaign and MP goes untouched. With that in mind, I would imagine the campaign having high replay value would itself be a high priority. You see it isn't that 343 doesn't know how to make good Halo, they admitted to making "traditional Halo" and as we know they then decisively went in a different direction. I've personally replayed the campaign's several times over for one reason or another. Sure you could point to reviews as a reason to slouch, but I find it hard to imagine any developer purposefully slouching. This is after all a creative business and creative people are generally passionate about their work.

As for what you'd like out of Halo 5, the issue is that you got exactly what you want from Halo 4 and well that wasn't so great. Halo 4 was linear with "open spaces", but the sandbox just wasn't there, it was just a gang of brain-dead enemies, bullet sponges and scripted set pieces.

While what you said may be true, how many of those people who buy Halo for the Campaign move onto the Multiplayer? I'd like to know why the Campaign-only people buy Halo; is it for the name or is it because they research pre-release footage of the Campaign and like what they see?

Also, I'd like to know what % of Halo's population are actually still playing the Campaign on a regular basis weeks/months/years after release because as we've seen with Reach, the numbers are abysmal and that was with Campaign Matchmaking. Not saying that they are going to care less about the Campaign by any means, but I can understand why if in Halo 5 we get an entire CoD-esque Campaign.

As for the bolded, I don't think so. Many people gave crap to 343 for playing it too safe and I believe that to be true. Sure the game was more linear, but it was no where near the level of action and intensity as other games (CoD, Uncharted, etc.). Halo 4 was pretty much caught in the middle of familiarity and trying keep things fresh by adding in more high-action moments, but they never really went too far on either side resulting in a subpar Campaign experience.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Serious question: if Campaign takes precedence, why not create a dynamic campaign (think Metroid but a little more compartmentalized) and a linear multiplayer? When I say linear I don't mean invasion, I mean... streamlined. Y'know, minimalist and such.
I don't see some magical splintering of resources ultimatum where they must choose between Campaign and MP. The "resources" are already in place, the teams are already in place. That said, the only minimalist approach needed for MP is playlist management and removal of the fluff (perks.)

I don't see some magical splintering of resources ultimatum where they must choose between Campaign and MP. The "resources" are already in place, the teams are already in place. That said, the only minimalist approach needed for MP is playlist management and removal of the fluff (perks.)

I don't mean it in a definitive resource sense. Map output is one thing, but I'm saying a nitty-gritty multi and a fluffy campaign (with the possibility of a third "wildcard suite" that meets both halfway e.g. firefight / cwimson skies) seems like the way to go.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
While what you said may be true, how many of those people who buy Halo for the Campaign move onto the Multiplayer? I'd like to know why the Campaign-only people buy Halo; is it for the name or is it because they research pre-release footage of the Campaign and like what they see?

Also, I'd like to know what % of Halo's population are actually still playing the Campaign on a regular basis weeks/months/years after release because as we've seen with Reach, the numbers are abysmal and that was with Campaign Matchmaking.
Not saying that they are going to care less about the Campaign by any means, but I can understand why if in Halo 5 we get an entire CoD-esque Campaign.

As for the bolded, I don't think so. Many people gave crap to 343 for playing it too safe and I believe that to be true. Sure the game was more linear, but it was no where near the level of action and intensity as other games (CoD, Uncharted, etc.). Halo 4 was pretty much caught in the middle of familiarity and trying keep things fresh by adding in more high-action moments, but they never really went too far on either side resulting in a subpar Campaign experience.
Well I wouldn't be able to give you any concrete numbers or reasons as to why, but it's just the way it is. It's important to note that the netcode for campaign is generally abysmal so I could cite that as a reason for low player count, but I digress.

I do agree that in a way 343 was stuck in a rock and a hard place, but if it's a sample of things to come, I imagine I'll be disappointed in the long run. I just don't think that building a campaign around scripted set pieces is a good idea for a series that is known for allowing you to create amazing moments yourself.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I've played Reach and Halo 3's campaign countless times. I've gone through CE and 2 multiple times as well. I did 2 playthroughs of Halo 4; the first time through on normal co-op and then solo Legendary.

Halo 4's campaign was adequate, but there were some major design errors. More articulate people than me have laid out the Promethean design flaws; i.e. the Watcher is ALWAYS the first enemy you need to kill, bullet spongy Knights, etc. Many of the levels feel restrictive and linear, moving from a sandbox towards the more common FPS design. QTEs hurt the replay value, as does the axing of campaign theatre and scoring.

I liked that 343 took a deeper look into Chief and Cortana's relationship, but some of the dialogue felt incredibly forced. The QTE ending completely took me out of the game.

Corridors gameplay killed my mood of replaying the campaign, I got used to play in big enviroments and no rely to kill X enemies to trigger the next stuff.

Knight? they cant hit on its sides and rarely kills you with theirs best weapons, Watchers? Kill a Knight then go for him to got stuck in the reviving animation, Robo dogs? mobile ammo supplies.

Well I wouldn't be able to give you any concrete numbers or reasons as to why, but it's just the way it is. It's important to note that the netcode for campaign is generally abysmal so I could cite that as a reason for low player count, but I digress.

I do agree that in a way 343 was stuck in a rock and a hard place, but if it's a sample of things to come, I imagine I'll be disappointed in the long run. I just don't think that building a campaign around scripted set pieces is a good idea for a series that is known for allowing you to create amazing moments yourself.

Why not both? Missions that are as linear as some CoD missions with insane, over-the-top Spartan action, but also some missions that have open-ended fights like H3 Scarab battles.

Come to think of it, 343 did a much better job at depicting a Spartan's true potential compared to Bungie. This is what I'd like for them to tap into when I say high action sequences as it wouldn't really make sense to be doing backflips during normal gameplay moments.

Not a majority.

Note that to date, we have a Halo made entirely for the campaign userbase. That's ODST. We still don't have a multiplayer-only Halo.

Definitely not a majority, otherwise we'd see far greater multiplayer populations for each game.

I think Halo's multiplayer on the Xbox One needs to be more of a service than what we've seen previously. It just sucks waiting a few years for a new release to fix things that could be addressed in a current game if the online capabilities were better. For that to become a reality though, the culture of console gamers needs to change which should hopefully be the case with the recent rise of open world games on next gen hardware.

Top Bottom