• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Booshka

Next-Gen is going to be so fun to spectate. Gonna hang back with my Gaming PC and watch the shit show that is the first year of these new consoles.

For you guys unsure of what to buy, just stick to current gen, get Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 in March, enjoy those two games until when the dust settles.

Defect

Wow. Reponding directly to Albert too. Cray cray.

CBOAT dropping the big truthbomb.

Guys... I want to believe D'; I just... wow Call of Duty isn't running at 1080p on Xbox One... how the fuck is this happening. This is probably the worst news I've heard all year regarding the Xbox One. God damn I almost regret pre-ordering and paying off the damn thing now.

I'm begging that CBOAT, Fort., and all the other Insiders have outdated information. I'm hoping their wrong, cause if they aren't, I'm SERIOUSLY disappointed.

It's Call of Fucking Duty. Who cares?

CBOAT dropping the big truthbomb.

Guys... I don't want to believe D'; I just... wow Call of Duty isn't running at 1080p on Xbox One... how the fuck is this happening. This is probably the worst news I've heard all year regarding the Xbox One. God damn I almost regret pre-ordering and paying off the damn thing now.

I'm begging that CBOAT, Fort., and all the other Insiders have outdated information. I'm hoping their wrong, cause if they aren't, I'm SERIOUSLY disappointed.

Madness

DKomsqx.gif

I can sort of see the difference between 720p and 1080p here. Don't know if it will be that pronounced when you are playing on television 5-6 feet away.

FyreWulff

Doesn't it also depend on available player pools e.g. population at a given time and playlist? I thought the parameters widened the longer your search times went.

It does widen as it looks for more games. They can adjust it though.

They can make it do stuff like "okay, looking for other people with dlc.. okay, I can't find any of those people. looking for people close to your skill. I found a couple. How about I look for people outside the skill range, but with good ping? Ah, that filled the game up. Let's go to the next screen."

Booshka

That's a huge difference, it will only be more pronounced in motion. For all dem Tryhard CoD pro's 1080p is the clear choice, 720p looks blurry in comparison.

If you are on a big ass screen sitting on your couch, the input lag is the bigger issue, so it won't matter. But, if you are hunched over in an office chair 3 feet from a monitor, it's gonna be a big difference.

Who is Cboat
No one knows. That's what the miracle is. CBOAT is CBOAT. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Believe

Industry insider who is anonymous. Posts leaks on GAF in tish wya, in order to be harder to track. No one knows who he is, he's been here since 2007 apparently and leaks a lot of Microsoft related things. Been really active this year.

Nowise10

No one knows. That's what the miracle is. CBOAT is CBOAT. Nothing else. Nothing more.

Believe

Industry insider who is anonymous. Posts leaks on GAF in tish wya, in order to be harder to track. No one knows who he is, he's been here since 2007 apparently and leaks a lot of Microsoft related things. Been really active this year.

That is extremely creepy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Dude claims to know final native resolution of Titanfall?

Lol okay

Famousmortimer backed him up. Both posters have had their legitimacy verified by mods.

Obviously the res is subject to change, but there's no real reason to doubt it for now.

edit: speedy has a point as well

Lol okay
I find it strange that he waited for the rumor to start from other insiders before leaking it himself
Anyways, I will be a bit disappointed if these rumors turn out to be true, biggest shocker would be that Microsoft settled on a console design that couldn't run COD at 1080p 60fps.

Lol okay

Everyone ignored me in the Titan Fall is 720p thread... Like seriously guys. You could have asked me a month ago what resolution Titan Fall is and I would have told you 720p. It's a pretty common fact, has been since August. We don't need an Insider to tell us this.

For as up to date GAF is on gaming, we all seemed to have ignored this article by Eurogamer. :p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-respawn-the-titanfall-interview

Digital Foundry: 1080p60 on Xbox One?

Drew McCoy: We'll see how performance goes. Frame-rate is king.

Pretty big confirmation that it isn't 1080p. This was published on August 25th. This isn't new. I tried pointing out that this is old but no one paid attention to me. :/

Everyone ignored me in the Titan Fall is 720p thread... Like seriously guys. You could have asked me a month ago what resolution Titan Fall is and I would have told you 720p. It's a pretty common fact, has been since August. We don't need an Insider to tell us this.

For as up to date GAF is on gaming, we all seemed to have ignored this article by Eurogamer. :p

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-respawn-the-titanfall-interview

Pretty big confirmation that it isn't 1080p. This was published on August 25th. This isn't new. I tried pointing out that this is old but no one paid attention to me. :/
Resolution isn't a step function speedy.
It isn't 720p or 1080p. It can be somewhere in between.
There's a lot of pixels between 720p and 1080p.

Resolution isn't a step function speedy.
It isn't 720p or 1080p. It can be somewhere in between.
There's a lot of pixels between 720p and 1080p.

Of course it can be 900p. or 768p. (and I believe that's it), but the most common one is 720p. It's the one I would go for, and aside from Ryse, I don't think any other games will go for 900p.

I'm not saying that Cboat isn't legit, but it's been clear that not everything he's said has been true. I seriously doubt that Respawn has a final resolution set in stone, nor do I think native resolution something that they are just throwing around to people around the industry.

Related, why are games now all of the sudden 720, 1080, or maybe 900, but nothing in between?

Most 360 and PS3 games are some weird resolution in the ballpark of 720.

Of course it can be 900p. or 768p. (and I believe that's it), but the most common one is 720p. It's the one I would go for, and aside from Ryse, I don't think any other games will go for 900p.
Speedy man... Why wouldn't you push for a higher resolution if you could? Anything under 1080p is going to be upscaled, feeding the upscaler a higher res image will always produce a better quality image.

Speedy man... Why wouldn't you push for a higher resolution if you could? Anything under 1080p is going to be upscaled, feeding the upscaler a higher res image will always produce a better quality image.

Makes sense. :p Forgot about it being upscaled. I always assume 720p since that's what most HDTV support and is more common than 768p and 900p on TVs. Totally forgot about upscaling.

I'm not saying that Cboat isn't legit, but it's been clear that not everything he's said has been true. I seriously doubt that Respawn has a final resolution set in stone, nor do I think native resolution something that they are just throwing around to people around the industry.

Related, why are games now all of the sudden 720, 1080, or maybe 900, but nothing in between?

Most 360 and PS3 games are some weird resolution in the ballpark of 720.
For 360/PS3:
They settle on scale, effects, etc. then push the resolution as high (up to 720p) as they can until framerate starts to give.
Probably is a bit more scientific than that, but I assume that's the gist of it.

As for why 720/900/1080 on next gen consoles...
Consoles output 1080p image, if game can't render 1080p native then the console will upscale the image (or else you'd end up with black bars to fill empty space).
When upscaling the resolution, you want a similar aspect ratio so that the image doesn't look stretched.
720/900 both have an aspect ratio of essential 16:9, which is the same aspect ratio as 1080p.
So the image won't look stretched when upscaled, but it'll look a bit blurry.
900p will look less blurry than 720p because it is a higher resolution.

Well.. that is my current understanding of it..

IMDB entry on mobile has Joseph Staten as the writer for Halo TV series...legit?

http://i.imgur.com/p3HvPFk.png[img][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Staten#Bungie"]"On September 24, 2013, Bungie announced that Staten had left the company to pursue new creative challenges."[/URL]

:O if true

Google doesn't bring up any confirmation. Either way, just wanted to say this. I'm surprised you don't own a Windows Phone, Ozzy. :p

Truth be told I own 2 windows phones, 3 androids and 3 iPhones :) mobile emulation only tests so much for web development. I like real testing on real phones and I prefer the iPhone for my day to day operations. Microsoft you suck not integrating outlook really tightly with your windows phones...

Bungie back to finish the job.

If true can you imagine the send off. Bye from Bungie but hi from Halo, awkward much.

I wonder if Microsoft is going to sell Halo TV to any network to show it on TV, and if they do, I wonder if a Halo TV show can be a success. I wonder if it'll be good enough, and interesting enough, for non-gamers to tune in.

HTupolev

Consoles output 1080p image, if game can't render 1080p native then the console will upscale the image (or else you'd end up with black bars to fill empty space).
When upscaling the resolution, you want a similar aspect ratio so that the image doesn't look stretched.
720/900 both have an aspect ratio of essential 16:9, which is the same aspect ratio as 1080p.
So the image won't look stretched when upscaled, but it'll look a bit blurry.
900p will look less blurry than 720p because it is a higher resolution.

Well.. that is my current understanding of it..
That's not it at all. There's nothing unusual about using a non-square pixel grid; a backbuffer with a "4:3" aspect ratio can easily contain a 16:9 image, as long as you render it squished so that the final scaling results in a non-stretched image. For instance, Halo Reach's backbuffer is 1152x720, which is not 16:9... but the image you get on your screen does not look "stretched," because the backbuffer was rendered "squished" to compensate.

Some devs think that such "squished" rendering, followed by scaling on a single axis, actually results in better image quality than scaling on both axes with a backbuffer of similar total size.

Chances are the typical resolutions just happen to be supported nicely. The same situation exists this gen; 576 lines, 640 lines, 720 lines, all were formats used by a number of titles. If you look closely, you'll notice they're all reasonably sane multiples of common output resolutions.

That's not it at all. There's nothing unusual about using a non-square pixel grid; a backbuffer with a "4:3" aspect ratio can easily contain a 16:9 image, as long as you render it squished so that the final scaling results in a non-stretched image. For instance, Halo Reach's backbuffer is 1152x720, which is not 16:9... but the image you get on your screen does not look "stretched," because the backbuffer was rendered "squished" to compensate.

Some devs think that such "squished" rendering, followed by scaling on a single axis, actually results in better image quality than scaling on both axes with a backbuffer of similar total size.

Chances are the typical resolutions just happen to be supported nicely. The same situation exists this gen; 576 lines, 640 lines, 720 lines, all were formats used by a number of titles. If you look closely, you'll notice they're all reasonably sane multiples of common output resolutions.
Haha oops! Well there is the correct answer then, thanks

Fuchsdh

Huh. I didn't realize that the up scaling could work similar to anamorphic lenses and physical film.

I think 1080p60 is certainly a reachable target for 343, but I suspect like many devs smoother framerate will take priority and they'll sacrifice some of the former for the latter. Fine by me, I imagine the vast majority of GAF probably couldn't tell the distance between 720p/900p/etc. and 1080p at standard television viewing angles. Same reason 4K gaming isn't going to happen any time soon.

So for any grizzled veterans of GAF, was the site as pathetic as this when the last generation of hardware was coming, or is this more recent?

Well, depends. The games still look solid, and I was more excited for the media/TV stuff. PS4 may be my main console this gen, but I'll still get the One for the solid exclusives and media features (and Kinect 2).

I'm staying away from it, at least at launch, because it's starting to turn out to be as reliable as a land-mine, frequent os crashes? flaky multiplayer? 720p on a game that is one of the least graphics intensive engines on the market? No thank you. I agree that Kinect 2 looks pretty great, and the controller is probably supreme again, but it's worth $150-200 less than it is currently priced.

Microsoft should have just priced it more competitively and removed the kinect from every box. I'm buying it, but honestly I feel like kinect is basically Siri for the iPhone. Yea it's cool the first couple times, but after a while you get frustrated with it.

Should have priced it at 299.99 or 349.99 without the kinect. Or include some software and charge 399.99.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think it'd be a completely different story if Microsoft took a loss on hardware and offered a kinect-less SKU for $350. Or even just dropped the current bundle to $400. The price difference is important.

Fuchsdh

I'm staying away from it, at least at launch, because it's starting to turn out to be as reliable as a land-mine, frequent os crashes? flaky multiplayer? 720p on a game that is one of the least graphics intensive engines on the market? No thank you. I agree that Kinect 2 looks pretty great, and the controller is probably supreme again, but it's worth $150-200 less than it is currently priced.
Maybe you should wait for actual verified news instead of making your buying decisions based on Sony fanboy forum posts.

Top Bottom