• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

i1VKjsdQin7ll.gif

Shame on you speedy, shame on you.

FyreWulff

While that sounds neat, it'd really suck that you'd win game just because you have a bigger friends list and those friends grind out in another game

I mean, think about it

"To make your units better, you need a lot of people to not play this game, but play another one instead!"

HTupolev

Didn't Halo 3 consistently outperform CoD for its first few years?
Not without qualification, but it was very competitive. Through 2008, CoD4 actually led most of the time on MajorNelson's UUs rankings. In 2009 Halo 3 came back to spend most of the time in the lead, outperforming any single CoD game, although the overall CoD community was probably substantially larger by then. MW2 finally kicked Halo 3 out of the #1 spot for good.

No matter how you slice it, though, Halo 3 had a lot of long-term fight in it.

lol, dat CEA listing.

If they redo the animations for H2A's cutscenes, they really better do mocap. The Halo 2 animations were godawful. I can only imagine the hilarity if they tried slapping Blast Processing Turbo HD Graphix on that arby .gif without any proper animation.

IHaveIce

Banned
This sounds more like Spartan assault 2 than like Halo Wars 2

Loadouts and abilities in 5? Palmer as cebtral character in Wars? Seems like I will still play Halo 3

Omni

This sounds more like Spartan assault 2 than like Halo Wars 2

Loadouts and abilities in 5? Palmer as cebtral character in Wars? Seems like I will still play Halo 3

I agree. I thought he was talking about Spartan Assault until I looked at the date.

To be fair... it does sound pretty cool for Firefight. I just hope - if true - it refers to points that you earn in game, and not linked to a ranking system or DLC cash packs (à la GTA V). Mirco-transactions suck ass... Spartan Assault is a joke because of them.

Madness

9xPEUCx.png

They should pin this up at 343 as a reminder of sorts. To show the strength of Halo 3 up until the launch of Reach. To show Halo: Reach top 3 for at least a year. To show the straight plummet of Halo 4, where by February, it had fallen to 4th or 5th.

You're never going to capture the CoD crowd because they have CoD to play. Don't lose the Halo crowd in the process.

Omni

343 Industries leads take a good look at this and come to the realization: "Time to get rid of
the current aiming mechanics
and
introduce ironsights
"
It makes sense. In the top 10 Xbox Live charts, the following games have ADS.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
Battlefield 4 Beta
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Battlefield 3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops

The following FPS games don't have ADS and are in the top 10:

It's the future, people. etc

It makes sense. In the top 10 Xbox Live charts, the following games have ADS.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops II
Battlefield 4 Beta
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Battlefield 3
Call Of Duty: Black Ops

The following FPS games don't have ADS and are in the top 10:

It's the future, people. etc

All those games also have marines so we play as a marine team hunting chief in halo 5 :p

/Back to lurking.

Talents

Banned
9xPEUCx.png

They should pin this up at 343 as a reminder of sorts. To show the strength of Halo 3 up until the launch of Reach. To show Halo: Reach top 3 for at least a year. To show the straight plummet of Halo 4, where by February, it had fallen to 4th or 5th.

You're never going to capture the CoD crowd because they have CoD to play. Don't lose the Halo crowd in the process.

Halo 3 lasts 3 years in Number 1 or 2 spot, Halo 4 lasts 1 month.

Nice job 343, truly the right people to inherit Halo.

gAg CruSh3r

Halo 3 lasts 3 years in Number 1 or 2 spot, Halo 4 lasts 1 month.

Nice job 343, truly the right people to inherit Halo.

Well in 343 defense they inherited Halo after Reach which pushed a lot of people away because Bungie wanted a different kind of Halo (Not saying Reach was bad but it was a lot different.). 343 was not ready or established so they kinda inherited some of Reach's gameplay traits; thinking people will enjoy it. Of cores they were wrong, a lot of people wanted Halo not COD in space. 343 has fixed a lot of things and seen what mistakes they made. So, don't judge Halo (5) so early because of what happen to Halo 4.

Omni

Well in 343 defense they inherited Halo after Reach which pushed a lot of people away because Bungie wanted a different kind of Halo (Not saying Reach was bad but it was a lot different.). 343 was not ready or established so they kinda inherited some of Reach's gameplay traits; thinking people will enjoy it. Of cores they were wrong, a lot of people wanted Halo not COD in space. 343 has fixed a lot of things and seen what mistakes they made. So, don't judge Halo (5) so early because of what happen to Halo 4.

Bullshit.

I'd argue that Halo Reach's effect on the franchise was minimal (in terms of driving people away from the series). Look at those charts. Halo 4 is number 1 until CoD came out. Not to mention that Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo game at release.

343i took over the reigns of Halo Reach and had years to listen to community feedback about armour abilities and playlist management. And for the most part they did with the TU and Anniversary. So I'm not buying at all that they simply "inherited gameplay traits" because they "weren't ready" as a studio. They knew exactly what they were doing and it's completely fair to judge the direction that they're taking the series in by looking at Halo 4.

While that sounds neat, it'd really suck that you'd win game just because you have a bigger friends list and those friends grind out in another game

I mean, think about it

"To make your units better, you need a lot of people to not play this game, but play another one instead!"

It's their master plan to keep the H5 population up.

didnt they add even more perks?

gAg CruSh3r

Bullshit.

I'd argue that Halo Reach's effect on the franchise was minimal (in terms of driving people away from the series). Look at those charts. Halo 4 is number 1 until CoD came out. Not to mention that Halo 4 was the fastest selling Halo game at release.

343i took over the reigns of Halo Reach and had years to listen to community feedback about armour abilities and playlist management. And for the most part they did with the TU and Anniversary. So I'm not buying at all that they simply "inherited gameplay traits" because they "weren't ready" as a studio. They knew exactly what they were doing and it's completely fair to judge the direction that they're taking the series in by looking at Halo 4.

You don't have to buy it that they "inherited gameplay traits" but Reach had AA and DMR. If I remember right, someone said from 343 that, They felt like they were all thrown into a studio and were told by Microsoft to build a Halo game. Also someone else said, they were happy to even get the game shipped out on time. This is all speculation and what I think what happen so you don't have to believe me.

Have you seen what they have done to Halo 4 since launch? Weapon updates, TUs, and weekly playlist updates. You can keep thinking Halo 4 is to judge; since what happen at launch. Things has changed since then and I feel like they are on the right path.

Striker

Every decision they made is their own fault. Quit blaming Reach for Halo 4's faults. It wasn't Bungie's fault that 343/MS had hilariously bad DLC implementation. It wasn't Bungie's fault 343 opted to make changes like flinch, introduce an ability where you can see through walls, or create waypoint CTF to use on asymmetric maps. Let's not forget the terrible Promethean weapons and enemies, or making bad vehicles like the Mantis.

gAg CruSh3r

Every decision they made is their own fault. Quit blaming Reach for Halo 4's faults. It wasn't Bungie's fault that 343/MS had hilariously bad DLC implementation. It wasn't Bungie's fault 343 opted to make changes like flinch, introduce an ability where you can see through walls, or create waypoint CTF to use on asymmetric maps. Let's not forget the terrible Promethean weapons and enemies, or making bad vehicles like the Mantis.

I'm not blaming Reach because Reach was good. I'm saying that a lot of people did not like what they did with Halo Reach because it was not like Halo 3.

Striker

I'm not blaming Reach because Reach was good. I'm saying that a lot of people did not like what they did with Halo Reach because it was not like Halo 3.
That's no excuse for what Halo 4 delivered. It was the next Master Chief installment and people knew that. It started off big but had a massive drop. There's a reason for that, and it's not because of what Reach had on its disc.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I would anticipate close to or a less weighting than the current Halo 4 system. Another 5-20% reduction of the current playlist setup for AA's and all that with the rest as classic Halo would be fine.

They have multiple audiences to cater for once again but expect far less Halo 4 launch type Infinity and more clean classic Halo balance IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with classic style games or variants not having sprint where AA based games do. It's not jarring like Reach's DMR vs. TU DMR vs. ZB. If they design the maps around settings/playlist ideals this works rather well. Bring in a simple loading screen like the Halo 2 loading screen and we're good to go.

Another option is player toggles for settings and maps allowing dynamic matching/voting variants so player choose what they want to play and match then vote for it. Again a reduction in developer playlist/setting static work and enabling players to find what they want to play in a less rigid system.

Considering the population is down to a peak of less than 20k daily I highly doubt there are many people that would be upset to see the back of Infinty/AAs/sprint etc. Most people will buy the next Halo because its Halo and because of MS's inevitable huge marketing drive. I actually think they are at a point where there is not much to lose by removing mechanics and changing the multiplayer.

I disagree with the idea of designing the game to accomodate sprint/AAs as I believe it will lead to a wide variety of other problems in the process. Games can be successful with just solid gameplay, they don't need all these lame gimmicks on top.

I really hope microtransactions aren't a thing in Halo 5. I can see the vidoc explaining it now.

"We've set up this great, highly competitive system that relies on player variance and allows for all these visceral experiences - two men enter, Speedy leaves..."

I really hope microtransactions aren't a thing in Halo 5. I can see the vidoc explaining it now.

"We've set up this great, highly competitive system that relies on player variance and allows for all these visceral experiences - two men enter, Speedy leaves..."

I would allow micro-transaction in halo but maybe only for Forge Packs to unlock.

I really want to. I really, really want to, but we've all done the blind faith thing, and look where that got us. I need proof. I need an announcement to say "Classic Halo is back. No Sprint, no Flinch, no perks, AA/Powerups's on map, that Classic Arena gameplay that you know and love."

It's not because I'm a Halo purist, I came pretty late into the game. I just realize that there is literally no console Arena FPS on the market right now. And if 343 recaptures that experience, people will come flooding back.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
9xPEUCx.png

Halo Reach. Poor gameplay, poor population for a Halo game.

Halo 4. Poor gameplay, poor population full stop. Outright embarrassing population for the number of copies sold and the previous success of Halo multiplayer.

I hope this finally kills the silly argument that Halo got stale/non modern and its clear to everybody that the fall of Halo was caused by changing the gameplay mechanics for the worse in Reach and 4. There is nothing "modern" about games like CoD. They are just full of gimmicks and have almost no gameplay depth. They are actually very simple if you strip away the nonsense. Halo had far more complex gameplay in actuality. This nonsense about Halo being simple and CoD supposedly modern and sophisticated infuriates me no end.

Halo Reach killed Halo 3 by splitting the population. I didn't go back to Halo 3 for a long time after Reach as I assumed nobody would be playing and I didn't play Reach much either.

Halo 5 would be amazing if they made it a blend of Halo 1-3 imo. Good maps, fast movement, primarily Halo 1 weapons with say a few extras such as covenant carbine, smg with lots of recoil, brute shot. Add 1 or 2 good power-ups such as speed boost. No equipment or only in social perhaps. Keep the Halo 1 beatdown system, no crazy lunging. Add the BR in as a single shot weapon with near identical traits to the CE pistol. Take the vehicle combat from Halo 3 along with the big maps suited to big team. Take the UI from Halo 3 and enhance it as well as the theatre system, perhaps evolve it into a proper spectator system as well. Maybe add some sort of thruster/speed boost/double jump system (see shootmania for a fairly good implementation), ideally something like strafe jumping from Quake but I doubt that could be well implemented with a controller. Give the players the tools and freedom for a good experience rather than impose your view of how the experience should be upon them.

A quote from that thread:
The unfortunate thing is, there are so many gametypes and maps and features that Halo 2 had that every game after failed to include. Things that made Halo 2 multiplayer the absolute pinnacle of the series when it came to online communities and competitiveness.

These include:
  • Almost every map.
  • The best capture the flag gametype so far.
  • One Flag, One Bomb, One Flag fast, One Bomb Fast.
  • A proper sudden death mechanic that didn't screw over players about to tie or win the game.
  • A flag and bomb return system that remains the best of the series. This included proximity flag and bomb freezing while your teammates regrouped for another attempt.
  • No spartan laser.
  • A fully fledged online friends list.
  • Clans and clan matches: something that has yet to be recreated to this day. Probably one of the biggest disappointments of the franchise to this day.

This man knows what's up. Objective games haven't been intense and exciting since Halo 1 and 2. The slowly paced Objectives of Halo 3 onward were painful after 6 years of what we had.

RIP. Waterworks + Assault + Flying the bomb guy on top of the Banshee = FUN

9xPEUCx.png

What happened to ODST, It when out loop in time to prevent Halo 4 and failed or something?

Striker

Halo Reach. Poor gameplay, poor population for a Halo game.

Take the vehicle combat from Halo 3 along with the big maps suited to big team. Take the UI from Halo 3 ...
Reach didn't have poor population, though. If you compare it to the big boss that became COD that made sales records, sure. To 99% of everything else, it was doing really well. It didn't have a sharp decline like Halo 4.

Also, no. The best mix of a UI would be to combine Halo 2 with Reach. Use Halo 2's interface that showcased the gametype, map, and settings. And use Reach's Active Roster.

belushy

Banned
Random lore-related question in the middle of H-Wars and MP talk...

Can the Didact be infected by the flood? I'm not too into the books or anything, so I'm sure if something like that has ever been said, and I'm drawing a blank thinking if something like it has been explained in the games.

Random lore-related question in the middle of H-Wars and MP talk...

Can the Didact be infected by the flood? I'm not too into the books or anything, so I'm sure if something like that has ever been said, and I'm drawing a blank thinking if something like it has been explained in the games.
In the terminals of halo 4. Didact kept experimentimg on himself to find ways in being immune to flood infection but failed. His attempts had mutated in the form you see now and is immune to the effects of the composer.

FyreWulff

Halo Reach killed Halo 3 by splitting the population. I didn't go back to Halo 3 for a long time after Reach as I assumed nobody would be playing and I didn't play Reach much either.

Unlike CoD, Halo has good player turnover to the next game. You usually never saw two Halo games stay up at the top like CoD and CoD - 1 did.

I mean look at what Halo 3 did to 2

halo2_gpd_h3launch.jpg

And in the previous chart, you can see Reach was pretty stable and survived another November wave of games the previous year decently well, until 4 comes out when the usual Halo switchover happens and 4 tanks it. Except after 4's drop, people don't go back to other Halos.

Top Bottom