• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

The map pack system is absolutely awful and needs a serious change. Bungie had it right with Halo 2 before Microsoft's genius mucked everything up. When you're forced to play Haven/Abandon 80% of the time it's no wonder people would quit the game. Hell it's why I did last november. Nearly a year later, I buy the Pitfall pack and in 90+ games I haven't even been able to vote for the maps I purchased. Abandon is seriously a fucking garbage map in just about every way. Christ, just pisses me off even thinking about that piece of trash.

Paywall the dumb barbie unlocks (and other dumb shit people love to waste money on) and pump out quality maps for free.

You will rarely see the DLC maps outside the DLC playlist also Abandon killed my mood of playing Dominion real fast. The Blue team have the upper hand in most of the matches.

Abandon was in Dominion?

I mean Exile, damn I never tried to remember the maps names.

GECK

You will rarely see the DLC maps outside the DLC playlist also Abandon killed my mood of playing Dominion real fast. The Blue team have the upper hand in most of the matches.

Pretty much all of my games played the past few days have been in DLC playlists. Pitfall has never even showed up. Granted, I'm been searching mostly solo, but still. 343 launched a flagship FPS with the worst mapset in Halo history.

Although, 343 gets props for successfully trolling me I guess. I buy back into Halo 4 for a re-skinned Halo 3 map that I can't even play in matchmaking. I guess it's back to yellow bar Halo 3 MLG.

Got accused of hacking in Halo 2 PC for using the lock on feature of rockets lol

Halo 2 PC players went super crazy one time at me and a buddy because we joined a sever on lockout with BR spawns than had unlimited (or at least super high) kill limit and within 30 mins we had got to the top of the leaderboards and they started telling us that using controllers was cheating because we could jump too much.

Yeah I know, all of that is true but I was posting with the hopes that 343 finally gave us the options to adjust these settings. Hopefully with the less restrictive policies on the Xbox One we'll see quicker updates to these glitches too.

The map pack system is absolutely awful and needs a serious change. Bungie had it right with Halo 2 before Microsoft's genius mucked everything up. When you're forced to play Haven/Abandon 80% of the time it's no wonder people would quit the game. Hell it's why I did last november. Nearly a year later, I buy the Pitfall pack and in 90+ games I haven't even been able to vote for the maps I purchased. Abandon is seriously a fucking garbage map in just about every way. Christ, just pisses me off even thinking about that piece of trash.

Paywall the dumb barbie unlocks (and other dumb shit people love to waste money on) and pump out quality maps for free.

Volunteer+reacts+to+fist+bump+from+Bolt_fe78ad_3997753.gif

Halo could be so much better with free maps.

wwm0nkey

Halo 2 PC players went super crazy one time at me and a buddy because we joined a sever on lockout with BR spawns than had unlimited (or at least super high) kill limit and within 30 mins we had got to the top of the leaderboards and they started telling us that using controllers was cheating because we could jump too much.

Yeah I mean its not my first time but seriously I though the "he's a cheater!" stuff died a year or two ago.

Now if I was using a carbine with the PS4 controllers triggers I may have understood since that shit it like rapid fire lol

December of 2009, a month after MW2 launched

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1    Modern Warfare 2 
2    Halo 3 
3    Call of Duty: WaW 
4    Call of Duty 4 
5    Left 4 Dead 2
6    FIFA 10 
7    Assassin’s Creed II 
8    GTA IV
9    Madden NFL 10 
10  Gears of War 2 

Halo 3 is still #2, two years after it launched. And only because MW2 launched, otherwise here is a chart about two months earlier.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Halo 3 
2 Call of Duty: WaW 
3 Call of Duty 4 
4 Gears of War 2 
5 Madden NFL 10  
6 GTA IV 
7 FIFA Soccer 10 Demo
8 FIFA 09 
9 Left 4 Dead 
10 Batman: Arkham Asylum 

Halo 5 will return to it's roots. Believe.

FyreWulff

agl 10 cancelled.

Hardcore community needs to build a community out and evolve settings. Prize money needs to come later, after a good decentralized foundation is set.

Don't let single people run the process, take the money and run or ditch the community when something shinier comes along. The hardcore community needs to know it's okay to make league companies serve them, instead of them serving the needs of the league's angel investors trying to cash out in time for their next portfolio vest.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know, the guy that's better than DOTA than you.

Oh wait. That's everyone.

Oh shit son!

edit; I'm also not about to join in on this "Fuck AGL" bandwagon that seems to be happening on Twitter. I don't know all the details of what happened but I do appreciate what they've done for the competitive Halo scene this year. I know there were bumps along the way. I'm just sad that this event isn't going down, I was looking forward to it. I also feel bad for all the people who have to now cancel their flights . I've been there, it fucking sucks.

Put all the terrible gametypes that Ozzy has a hard-on for in some deep, dark corner of a custom browser which should've been added to Halo two games ago.
A server browser really is the answer. Any gametypes that aren't the core gameplay and settings are allowed to be as popular or not popular as the playerbase demands and matchmaking playlists house a small core group gametypes and settings that are homogeneous.
NSA Director: We got him now. Constant surveillance on Karl2177. We'll teach him a lesson for putting the Washington Monument as his dong.
:lol

EDIT:
At first I thought this was BS from the get go and it's just wishful thinking. Until I kept on reading and came to the conclusion that it's probably possible. Idk.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62222/t1898042-halo-wars-2-leak/

If this isn't true I will be heartbroken..

At first I thought this was BS from the get go and it's just wishful thinking. Until I kept on reading and came to the conclusion that it's probably possible. Idk.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62222/t1898042-halo-wars-2-leak/

I received this tip from an industry insider who was at a private preview event recently as part of Microsoft's Gamescom schedule in relation to Halo Wars 2. His notes from the preview are as follows:

Today we saw a video and some brief game-play footage of Halo War's 2, an up coming action/strategy game from 343 Industries. The presentation opened with a mostly pre-rendered trailer inter-cut with brief amounts of what looked like game-play footage. The story seems to focus on female officer type aboard the UNSC Infinity and her shadowy AI partner. We see her commanding armies in a war room type setting and lots of action with Spartan soldiers on the ground. We see a Spartan wielding an energy sword facing off against a group of 3 Covenant warriors in close combat and at one point we see a squad of Spartan soldiers boarding a large Covenant Scarab and fighting on top of it. It was high octane and seemed to have a large focus on action mixed with large battle scenes.

Next we were treated to a demo of what was called an early alpha game-play build showcasing a new mode called Spartan Ops. We're told this mode is similar to Halo 4's Spartan Ops in that it features episodic content that is tied to the up-coming Halo TV series. It seemed to play a lot like Halo Wars for the Xbox 360, the demo began with commanding a squad of troops and a Warthog vehicle to take over a sniper tower inhabited by Prometheans which they subsequently defended until Spartans arrived. We see the troops set up a command center from which they trained more units and repaired the Warthog. A lot of weapons from Halo 4 were present like the Promethean shotgun that vaporizes enemies. From here we saw the UNSC troops expand and start to explore new areas. Predictably, Smart Glass integration allows you to interact with the game and we saw a demo of how you can drop ordinance to your troops and can trace lines across the battlefield to give you greater control over where airstrikes will fall. Next we're treated to a new system introduced to Halo Wars which allows you to play from the perspective of one of your Spartan soldiers. With a press of a button you're able to enter 'assault mode' and take control of a Spartan and navigate the battlefield and fight just as if it were any other Halo game. The action seemed smooth and frenetic despite what looked like about 100 characters on screen. While on the ground mode you're able to shoot, punch, throw grenades, and take control of friendly and enemy vehicles. We're told that in co-operative modes you can be controlling the troops from above while up to three friends play as Spartans on the battlefield below.

Next we saw the return of an old Halo favorite, Firefight, a co-operative mode which sees players fighting increasingly stronger waves of Covenant and Promethean enemies. We saw a scoring system and the ability to bring up leader-boards at any moment to see how you compare to your friends. Perhaps the most novel new feature was a system 343 Industries call Allied Infantry Deployment, cleverly shortened to A.I.D. At any point in between waves you're able to spend points you've earned on new equipment and units. One of these upgrades is to permanently conscript your friend's Spartans into your army. What this means is that anyone on your friends-list who has played Halo 5 will be able to join your army, complete with their custom armor and emblem. On top of this your friend's Spartan will perform based on how your friend plays Halo 5. This means that is your friend favors a certain weapon, a certain load-out or abilities they will be reflected by their Spartan in your game. 343 Industries also said that if your buddy has reached high ranks or obtained specific weapon commendations in Halo 5, you'll see that reflected in their Spartan's behavior should you conscript them into Halo Wars 2.

All in all it looks promising with some unique and fun ideas. The embargo will be up around the time that 343 Industries begins talking about Halo 5 in the Game Informer feature later this year.

Release bl1: "Halo Wars throws you into the next generation of explosive Halo action in a whole new way. You and your friends will explore a brand new adventure packed with intrigue and suspense that unfolds each week. You are in control of the battlefield like never before."

Release bl2: ""Halo Wars throws you and your friends into the next generation of explosive Halo action like never before."

Wait... not ONLY are they making a Halo Wars 2, 343 themselves are wasting their valuable time working on Halo Wars 2 instead of making Halo 5 the best it can be? Wow. Halo 5 launches in a year, and 343 doesn't even have 100% of it's employee's working on it.

m23

Wait... not ONLY are they making a Halo Wars 2, 343 themselves are wasting their valuable time working on Halo Wars 2 instead of making Halo 5 the best it can be? Wow. Halo 5 launches in a year, and 343 doesn't even have 100% of it's employee's working on it.

"Wasting their valuable time working on Halo Wars 2"

I'd gladly take a Halo Wars 2 over Halo 5....as long as its not screwed up.

It sounds more legit than the paste bin "leak", but it doesn't feel like something 343 would do. They did say that they were working on other projects besides Halo 5 and the tv show. I feel like we are going to get some news in the next couple of weeks.

m23

We're told that in co-operative modes you can be controlling the troops from above while up to three friends play as Spartans on the battlefield below.

Oh man....please let this be true.

Madness

It's one thing for one of the best RTS studios in the world to take on a challenge like Halo Wars, quite another for 343 to do it.

I'd rather they focus all their efforts to make Halo 5 as best as possible and not have to cut any legacy features or have hiccups at launch.

Even worse is that it looks like they made Palmer a central character again.

Madness

The story seems to focus on female officer type aboard the UNSC Infinity and her shadowy AI partner. We see her commanding armies in a war room type setting and lots of action with Spartan soldiers on the ground.

On top of this your friend's Spartan will perform based on how your friend plays Halo 5. This means that if your friend favors a certain weapon, a certain load-out or abilities

So not only will we have Palmer as the central character, but they said your friends actions in Halo 5, particularly if they favor certain weapons, loadouts or ABILITIES means that's all still in Halo 5 as a central focus.

I hope it's all BS.

I'm still salty because I bought Halo Wars for $60 when it came out, put it into my disc tray, and realized I fucked up. I didn't know it wasn't a shooter.

I was like 12 at the time and wasn't that in the known with Gaming news yet, just barely getting into Halo, say Halo on the front cover, didn't pay attention to the back, and asked my father to buy it for me.

So not only will we have Palmer as the central character, but they said your friends actions in Halo 5, particularly if they favor certain weapons, loadouts or ABILITIES means that's all still in Halo 5 a central focus.

I hope it's all BS.

I was actually kind of interested in who the Female UNSC officer would be. I thought we'd potentially get a new exciting character. Forgot about Palmer. ughhhhhhh. Why does 343 insist on pushing Palmer down our throats. No one freaking likes her. I don't want to see her again unless it's to kill her character off in Halo 5.

JDHarbs

Don't forget about Halo 3 PC too so if this is true then we've got the studio split across 3 projects right now. Yikes.

I'm still salty because I bought Halo Wars for $60 when it came out, put it into my disc tray, and realized I fucked up. I didn't know it wasn't a shooter.

I was like 12 at the time and wasn't that in the known with Gaming news yet, just barely getting into Halo, say Halo on the front cover, didn't pay attention to the back, and asked my father to buy it for me.

i1VKjsdQin7ll.gif

Top Bottom