• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fracas

#fuckonami
I appreciate that the guy is actually reporting facts and not just rewording PR. You don't see that in the videogame journalism industry often.

daedalius

daedalius did jeff gerstmann post in that thread?

Some guy quoted him from somewhere else, he likely posted something on GB I'd imagine.

I appreciate that the guy is actually reporting facts and not just rewording PR. You don't see that in the videogame journalism industry often.

I guess journalism is in a pretty piss poor state when the journalists are trolling company's PR.

I think it may be getting blown a BIT out of proportion. Two launch games aren't running as well as they could be, who could imagine such a thing!

Gaming side is starting to get a little frustrating to view as a Xbox One buyer. :/ The "Ghost and Battlefield 4 are 720p." thread is just filled with people laughing at the Xbox One, which is pretty much the same as the people buying it. It's so frustrating. I know the PS4 is the better system but it's no reason to laugh at the console and hope it fails. Competition is good. :/

The COD ghosts thread was burned to ashes very fast.

I don't like battlefield or call of duty so the whole 720p thing isn't bothering me. It's the potential OS/hardware issues that raises concern. I HOPE this is being blown out of proportion and I can enjoy Killer Instinct on day one with no problems.

If cboat or some other reliable source reveals some sort of huge problem with the console then I will cancel my pre-order, and maybe get a PS4 once Naughty Dog reveals something. I just don't want to waste 500+ bucks for a system that could have giant issues.

sigh

I don't like battlefield or call of duty so the whole 720p thing isn't bothering me. It's the potential OS/hardware issues that raises concern. I HOPE this is being blown out of proportion and I can enjoy Killer Instinct on day one with no problems.

If cboat or some other reliable source reveals some sort of huge problem with the console then I will cancel my pre-order, and maybe get a PS4 once Naughty Dog reveals something. I just don't want to waste 500+ bucks for a system that could have giant issues.

sigh

cboat never said anything about hardware issues. OS is software related. Also you may not care for cod and bf but this could be an issue for other games in general down the road. I think MS skimped on hardware for the kinect.

There are some major problems being hinted at (and in some cases outright said) by several members of the media as well as GAF insiders. I don't know what in the world is going on, but I'd be a little concerned. I don't want the XB1 to fail either, but something is going down.

It's very simple, it's not ready for launch. I don't think they planned to launch this year and then had to change I'm sure a lot when they did the 180's. I wouldnt be thatworried about the OS over time they will get that ironed out. I fully expect some growing pains from Xbox because their focus was in the wrong place.

Don't be shocked if the special edition Halo Xbox One doesn't come with Kinect. Which is the one I will be getting.

TCKaos

It would be better if they limited skin sets to races, like only human weapons get a steampunk skin and only covenant weapons get engraved space alien gibberish textures or something.

Speaking of weapons, I have more or less finished that new BR I was working on:

halo_battle_rifle_re_imagining_by_prinzeugn-d6rwpkh.png

So yaaaaaaay. Lemme know what you guys think!

It looks pretty amazing.

Also, the way the BR is drawn here means that you could potentially remove the sight mount and replace it with a configuration that resembles the DMR. Neat.

Right now HaloGAF again discuss' stuff that is discussed in other threads just to discuss it alone.

Don't close us again :(

I will wait till CBOAT will release these infos about huge hardware issues .... people have to know ifthere will be 2nd RROD

Also played some great games of Halo 3 again <3 Though it really shows that also Halo 3 has the problem any online Halo had... bad gametype selection and what is running in matchmaking.
Heh... I actually only posted that here because I was going to post it in that thread, but I hesitated. Don't want to be mistaken for a shill and banned again. I'm trending very carefully with Gaming Side now. :p

belushy

Banned
It looks pretty amazing.

Also, the way the BR is drawn here means that you could potentially remove the sight mount and replace it with a configuration that resembles the DMR. Neat.

Could even look like a shot gun if the barrel looked a little different also. Not like that is very realistic but hey, the Halo series has a gun that shoots little pink crystals at people so why not?

Computron

It would be better if they limited skin sets to races, like only human weapons get a steampunk skin and only covenant weapons get engraved space alien gibberish textures or something.

hmmmmm...

Might have to load up max tomorrow.

Omni

That's actually really awesome.

Omni

I don't know. I've been playing Halo for years and I don't think that looks like something that belongs in Halo.

What does this mean? Halo 4 has blown any preconceived notions about what "belongs in Halo" out of the water.

Obviously it looks like a compact model of the BR, but easily looks like it belongs in the same family. I think the biggest thing that's perhaps jarring about it, is that it looks... too detailed in comparison to what we're used to in a Halo game.

and is it really all that different to this redesign:

I actually don't know why I'm defending this. Exam procrastination is a bitch. Haha

J10

Banned

This is dope.

blamite

This look really rad! It actually seems like a much more natural progression of how the BR's design might evolve over time than Halo 4's boxier redesign (although I still like the look of the H4 BR). The only thing I think I'm not crazy about is the smaller, more square looking (maybe, it's hard to get an impression with just the one view to go by) scope that doesn't seem to mesh with the overall sleeker, curvier look of the rest of the gun. Well, that and also I really like the design of the original BR's scope.

But yeah, overall I like your design a lot and I'd love to see something like it in-game. Good job!

I'd also recommend a more Halo 2 / 3-ish scope, but I think my favorite part about the design is how varied all the materials are. It looks like something made out of real parts compared to the Halo 4 BR consisting of generic squishy space metals in different colors.

belushy

Banned
So... COD has had the bots treatment for a long time now.

Any chance Halo gets bots? I know it might be hard to program them correctly, considering how tactical Halo actually is and how important jumping in the Halo games have always been. I just feel like a mode similar to squads would be pretty fun in Halo. Could easily be related to the lore, saying that the Infinity got some kind of new technology on the ship that allows for AI units to take over Spartan armor.

Could also be used for Firefight (pls bring it back 343) and Spartan Ops.

So... COD has had the bots treatment for a long time now.

Any chance Halo gets bots? I know it might be hard to program them correctly, considering how tactical Halo actually is and how important jumping in the Halo games have always been. I just feel like a mode similar to squads would be pretty fun in Halo. Could easily be related to the lore, saying that the Infinity got some kind of new technology on the ship that allows for AI units to take over Spartan armor.

Could also be used for Firefight (pls bring it back 343) and Spartan Ops.

I dunno, Seems like it would split up the playerbase. Halo's first week depends on the casuals playing MP and being matched properly against other casuals and the better players ascending to higher ranks to play competitive matches. Everyone has fun and the games population doesn't plummet.

Let me go a bit further: It needs "grinders" playing endlessly for exp to get unlocks. It needs "creative" types forging maps and creating custom gametypes (So dont make zombie and grifball) let Nockyard have his fun!

However I think in social playlists, bots taking over players who have left is better than drop in drop out (For Halo)

belushy

Banned
I dunno, Seems like it would split up the playerbase. Halo's first week depends on the casuals playing MP and being matched properly against other casuals and the better players ascending to higher ranks to play competitive matches. Everyone has fun and the games population doesn't plummet.

Let me go a bit further: It needs "grinders" playing endlessly for exp to get unlocks. It needs "creative" types forging maps and creating custom gametypes (So dont make zombie and grifball) let Nockyard have his fun!

However I think in social playlists, bots taking over players who have left is better than drop in drop out (For Halo)

True, I suppose COD does have the consistent population to warrant so many modes. Maybe a full mode wouldn't be a good idea, but rather bots added to the core for use in other modes.

I don't know, if I could live with the pain, that a bot gave me a 4 shot. Would probably quit Halo forever. :lol

Joking, but interesting point, isn't it? How difficult should the bots be? How do they work in objective game-types? Do they go for the flag, if all team-mates are down?

It will be pretty hard to program I'd think. I definitely would not be surprised if bots wouldn't be able to work on forge maps if they made it into the game. I believe the bots in COD have pre-defined paths and different variables in the game dictate which path they take. It would be impossible to set that for forge maps. As for objective gametypes, the bots in COD do play the object, however they play mob style. They just rush the flag over and over again for easy kills. Same with Hardpoints, as they will just rush for the hardpoint and get slaughtered in the process. Keep in mind I usually play against bots on the default difficulty, so maybe they are a bit smarter on the higher difficulties.

Akai__

I don't know, if I could live with the pain, that a bot gave me a 4 shot. Would probably quit Halo forever. :lol

Joking, but interesting point, isn't it? How difficult should the bots be? How do they work in objective game-types? Do they go for the flag, if all team-mates are down?

IHaveIce

Banned
I could have sworn we already got an explanation why bots don't work in Halo or are hard to do, though I can't find anything.

But like you said, it is hard to do it cause of the different map variants in Halo and that weapons have to be picked up etc.

I would like it that when somebody quits the game a bot fills the place, but I don't think it works... maybe I'm underestimating the Halo engine.. now that I think about it Gears also has bots.
But objective games like Oddball or anything would be interesting to see played by bots

Karl2177

I could have sworn we already got an explanation why bots don't work in Halo or are hard to do, though I can't find anything.

But like you said, it is hard to do it cause of the different map variants in Halo and that weapons have to be picked up etc.

I would like it that when somebody quits the game a bot fills the place, but I don't think it works... maybe I'm underestimating the Halo engine.. now that I think about it Gears also has bots.
But objective games like Oddball or anything would be interesting to see played by bots

Netcode. With Halo's AI you'd have to be in lockstep or just have some fairly dumb AI, like CoD or Gears.

IHaveIce

Banned
Umm no if UT did it 15 years ago pretty sure Halo can add bots. They just cant or wont do it for other reasons. It can be done though.
Different AI, different Engine, different game. OF course they could just add bots, though do they really function in the game? That is the thing I meant with "not working"
Netcode. With Halo's AI you'd have to be in lockstep or just have some fairly dumb AI, like CoD or Gears.
Ah see, thanks Karl
Imagine the driving AI for Campaign, but in MP.

Shit, the enemy team doesn't even need to kill you to win.

Oh god the horror... but on that: I played the Halo 3 campaign again and I still think the marine driving AI is better in Halo 3 than in Reach... Kat just was incredible.

So CoD: Ghosts has a mode that involves what looks like aliens.

We have come full circle

Yeah what the shit is that?!

Will probably be pretty cool

Been waiting for a true Sci-Fi CoD for years. When/If they finally move past the modern military style, I'll be ready to give a CoD game a legitimate shot.

Don't expect much Sci Fi CoD is a garbage idea, Aliens are the new zombies.

Yeah, I more meant if they put 100% focus of it on a new release. I think there's a lot of potential in that to reach mass market success, especially with the CoD title.

Different AI, different Engine, different game. OF course they could just add bots, though do they really function in the game? That is the thing I meant with "not working".

I know but what I meant was I think 15 years is good enough to remove the excuse of different game different engine different AI. Figure that shit out nubsluts.

Lets face it if they CANT do it by now. They need to toss that shit engine out the fucking window. Or fix it.

No excuses. Legacy Tech, Button Config not worth testing, fucking excuses, we want to see RESULTS. Every other company is achieving results in performance and features.

IHaveIce

Banned
I know but what I meant was I think 15 years is good enough to remove the excuse of different game different engine different AI. Figure that shit out nubsluts.

Lets face it if they CANT do it by now. They need to toss that shit engine out the fucking window. Or fix it.

No excuses. Legacy Tech, Button Config not worth testing, fucking excuses, we want to see RESULTS. Every other company is achieving results in performance and features.

Oh yes I give you that. Especially Button Configs have to make their way in..

belushy

Banned
Speaking of campaign, three of my friends and I played through Cortana and the final mission together on Legendary last night. I swear I remember Cortana being 100x harder because of the flood turret guys. We breezed through it in like 10 minutes when a few years ago we spent a good hour to beat it. The campaign just seemed so easy this time around. Its not like Reach or H4's campaigns were hard or anything.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of campaign, three of my friends and I played through Cortana and the final mission together on Legendary last night. I swear I remember Cortana being 100x harder because of the flood turret guys. We breezed through it in like 10 minutes when a few years ago we spent a good hour to beat it. The campaign just seemed so easy this time around. Its not like Reach or H4's campaigns were hard or anything.

Never got why people have such distaste for that level. It's certainly not the pinnacle of any of the campaigns, but it's also fairly short and they give you plenty of weapons to burn through the Flood.

daedalius

Never got why people have such distaste for that level. It's certainly not the pinnacle of any of the campaigns, but it's also fairly short and they give you plenty of weapons to burn through the Flood.

Its pretty tough solo legendary, the wall spine guys are a nightmare.

I'm doing a legendary playthrough of all the campaigns, off and on between work anyway, just started Halo 2. I really like that campaign actually. Reach was excellent, and the first halo of Halo CE is still great.

Confusing layout, lots of the Gravemind/Cortana interruptions that a lot of people didn't like, filled with somewhat frustrating enemies, silly punch the reactor moments, felt like it was building to a battle with the Gravemind who doesn't appear [the last 3 levels suffered for this in my mind].

Then for all of the games building of a sick Cortana, all her babbling during interruptions, you get to her and suddenly she's fine and ready to go with a statement of encouragement.

Then you backtrack your way out.

But for most people it's probably just the enemies. Most people don't enjoy fighting the Flood, especially in cramped & vertical heavy spaces.

The hidden paths, the ammo crate at the begining, hidden camo and the not to easy to pick up fire bombs made that level pretty interesting to explore.

Top Bottom