• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

belushy

Banned
In the terminals of halo 4. Didact kept experimentimg on himself to find ways in being immune to flood infection but failed. His attempts had mutated in the form you see now and is immune to the effects of the composer.

Ah, thank you.

I just asked because I kind of expect the flood to be re-introduced into the series in Halo 5 & 6, and was thinking a flood infected Didact would make a neat boss battle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
z63eJzv.gif

TheOddOne

I wonder how much effect that many different designers had on Halo 4. Each section, such as Campaign, Multiplayer, Spartan Ops, got their own main designer and under them were even more designers. First conclusion I would make is that there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

Multiplayer is more focused on (Infinity) Big Team Battle, and to some extent it is promoted as premier mode. BTB has never really been the mode people have associated with Halo, tight 4v4 maps has always been its bread and butter. This is moving in a direction which was never something a lot of people wanted or expected.

Singleplayer went in a more linear direction, with smaller spaces and story being even more front and center. Last 3 halo games have all had huge open spaces, something that was a trademark of the series. Again, moving in direction that alienated a lot of what made Halo special.

Spartan Ops wanted to fill the shoes of Firefight. It does one thing right, it has larger playspaces than the campaign. But that does not really make up for the loss of adaptive AI and the loss of customization options Firefight had. Again, something people didn’t wanted or really would not see it as a good trade.

The philosophies seems all over the place and is kind of strange too. We want the campaign to have large open spaces, but that philosophy is somehow found its way into multiplayer and Spartan Ops modes. We want more 4v4 maps, yet the campaign philosophy is pushing for smaller spaces. That seems so strange, all modes are doing the polar opposite of what we want and expect from them.

/Saturday rant.

Fracas

#fuckonami
have you tried it with PS3 yet? I heard it works if you use a usb cable.

Not yet; I don't have a micro usb cable and the cheapest one any of my local stores carry is about $20. Ordered one from Amazon, and I should have it Tuesday. For now, I paired it to my laptop with bluetooth and I've played a few games.

There's a list of games the DS4 works with on PS3, but I'm not sure where to find it. It doesn't work with everything, but there may be a patch coming? I'm not sure

As much as I'd love to take his word for it, I'm going to wait on the halo community's patented Otaku Data Ninjas to get some hard facts out about Halo 5 gameplay before I bother this time around. It's one thing to foam at the mouth and curse game devs for using "buzzwords" and the like, but the gaming industry has a very, very separate lexicon to entertainment than the fandoms assume and it ends up biting a lot of the community in the ass when they don't realize that. Case in point: "competitive crowd" brings to mind images of MLG and tourneys and dudes who'll BXR you before nading Purple Snipe to send the rifle into their hands before you can even respawn and then immediately use vertex-based spawn-trapping to 180 quickscope you. In reality, and I know I'm becoming a broken record about this, the gaming industry defines "competitive crowd" as anyone who plays the multiplayer aspect of their game.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Frankie is the franchise director, and he's probably not going to admit mistakes that have been made in development until post-launch, and even then it'd only be if MS would allow it. We're going to hear about gravitas and visceral experiences and dynamic, fresh, return-to-roots evolutionary revolutionary gameplay up until the thing ships.

The only potential for firsthand shitstorms (that is, from playing the game itself) is if Halo 5 leaks to the French again and people confirm additional loss of features.

That being said, there are some gaming companies that run on heart more than profit and may be willing to admit mistakes along the way, but a AAA, first-party proprietary of Microsoft of all people isn't going to be one of them.

I remember when Halo 4 reveal trailer at E3 got me so hyped and happy about the development of the game in the works and that majestic feeling of Halo will return again.

And when the Halo 5 (XB1) trailer came out this year, I wasn't even feeling really happy about Halo atm. It was a surprise and I was excited seeing an interesting trailer but I lost everything from Halo 3's & 4's reveal trailer.

Idk. If it was just me or could be the same for others maybe but I wanted to see more than just Master Chief beneath a cloak. I'm not speaking out of nostalgia but it was missing something. Kinda hard to explain it exactly. Probably b'cuz it didn't had me feeling like "This Is Halo" not by Master Chief or the Halo Logo being in it but how the overall trailer was setup up to be...

I remember when Halo 4 reveal trailer at E3 got me so hyped and happy about the development of the game in the works and that majestic feeling of Halo will return again.

And when the Halo 5 (XB1) trailer came out this year, I wasn't even feeling really happy about Halo atm. It was a surprise and I was excited seeing an interesting trailer but I lost everything from Halo 3's & 4's reveal trailer.

Idk. If it was just me or could be the same for others maybe but I wanted to see more than just Master Chief beneath a cloak. I'm not speaking out of nostalgia but it was missing something. Kinda hard to explain it exactly. Probably b'cuz it didn't had me feeling like "This Is Halo" not by Master Chief or the Halo Logo being in it but how the overall trailer was setup up to be...

Dat marty music ; )

Fuchsdh

Those followup comments cause me physical pain.

Some of his issues seemed bizarre--weapon skins are not a problem. And I will still not understand the "why are we fighting the Covenant" bit. The games never even implied that we'd done anything but ally with the Elites.

What's changed about games is people have actually applied psychology to games. Stuff to chase makes people play more--for some people that's rank, for some that's achievements, for some that's unlocks. People who prefer older Halo games should want the cosmetic stuff to expand so it doesn't interfere with the actual gameplay.

Some of his issues seemed bizarre--weapon skins are not a problem. And I will still not understand the "why are we fighting the Covenant" bit. The games never even implied that we'd done anything but ally with the Elites.

What's changed about games is people have actually applied psychology to games. Stuff to chase makes people play more--for some people that's rank, for some that's achievements, for some that's unlocks. People who prefer older Halo games should want the cosmetic stuff to expand so it doesn't interfere with the actual gameplay.

I don't like skins either, especially when they are ugly as sin in halo 4. It makes weapons lose their identity.

"We want to make sure every weapon has an identifiable profile and design."

*steampunk covenant weapons and AR that looks like a Flamethrower*

IHaveIce

Banned
Guys I saw this post in the Halo thread on gaming side
The franchise was still raw and exciting back then, in the years since it's been milked to death to the point where releases aren't even that special.

And I have to agree, an announcement of the new Halo title was super exciting back then.

Now it is expected and like everyother game.

The longer release gap actually made it more exciting.

"We want to make sure every weapon has an identifiable profile and design."

*steampunk covenant weapons and AR that looks like a Flamethrower*

It would be better if they limited skin sets to races, like only human weapons get a steampunk skin and only covenant weapons get engraved space alien gibberish textures or something.

Speaking of weapons, I have more or less finished that new BR I was working on:

halo_battle_rifle_re_imagining_by_prinzeugn-d6rwpkh.png

So yaaaaaaay. Lemme know what you guys think!

It would be better if they limited skin sets to races, like only human weapons get a steampunk skin and only covenant weapons get engraved space alien gibberish textures or something.

Looks good, it looks like a natural progression from the Halo 2/3 BR, to the Halo 4 "fuck-all we'll start over design"

Wow, this one benefitted a lot from coloring. Looks really organic and it'd mesh with UNSC tech great.

wwm0nkey

I like this, feels more in line with the 2/3 BR while being a good evolution of the design.

Gaming side is starting to get a little frustrating to view as a Xbox One buyer. :/ The "Ghost and Battlefield 4 are 720p." thread is just filled with people laughing at the Xbox One, which is pretty much the same as the people buying it. It's so frustrating. I know the PS4 is the better system but it's no reason to laugh at the console and hope it fails. Competition is good. :/

wwm0nkey

Gaming side is starting to get a little frustrating to view as a Xbox One buyer. :/ The "Ghost and Battlefield 4 are 720p." thread is just filled with people laughing at the Xbox One, which is pretty much the same as the people buying it. It's so frustrating. I know the PS4 is the better system but it's no reason to laugh at the console and hope it fails. Competition is good. :/

Everyone knows it wont end up like the WiiU so its all good.

gAg CruSh3r

I know that feeling... It bugs the hell out of me..

Looks good, it looks like a natural progression from the Halo 2/3 BR, to the Halo 4 "fuck-all we'll start over design"

Wow, this one benefitted a lot from coloring. Looks really organic and it'd mesh with UNSC tech great.

I like this, feels more in line with the 2/3 BR while being a good evolution of the design.

Thanks guys, that's what I was going for. Someday I'll put a sharkmouth on it, dripping with grunt blood or something.

daedalius

Looks great, now you just need a tablet ;)

daedalius

It's GAF gaming side. Ignore them. If you've got the console that works for you, then why do you care what some spec-whoring fanboys say?

Think I should post in that thread...

iseYkqHWju9kS.gif

But doing that would almost be as ineffectual as trying to promote reasonable discussion in Halogaf most of the time.

I agree with Gerstmann's assessment, although its probably completely buried in that thread now.

Fracas

#fuckonami

There are some major problems being hinted at (and in some cases outright said) by several members of the media as well as GAF insiders. I don't know what in the world is going on, but I'd be a little concerned. I don't want the XB1 to fail either, but something is going down.

belushy

Banned

Looks great Prinz. Are you gonna make a 3D model of it?

There are some major problems being hinted at (and in some cases outright said) by several members of the media as well as GAF insiders. I don't know what in the world is going on, but I'd be a little concerned. I don't want the XB1 to fail either, but something is going down.

lol it won't fail if its weaker. People need to stop worrying about what others get and just get what you like.

Madness

Yeah. It seems there are genuine problems with the OS of Xbox One, and that quite a few devs are having trouble.

No sense in downplaying the problems. We're all Xbox fans here, since we're Halo fans. Hell I haven't bought a playstation console since the first one. I think it just comes down to Microsoft looking beyond strictly gaming now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
lol it won't fail if its weaker. People need to stop worrying about what others get and just get what you like.

I'm referring more to things like the rumored OS crashes and broken Live matchmaking, the absurd embargoes covering up something, and this post:

If CBOAT ever spills publicly what s/he shared via PM regarding a myriad of other technical issues going on right now...

I'm going right back in that shelter and welding it shut.

The resolution differences aren't earth shattering, but frequent hardware malfunctions can be.

Good stuff man, have anything else to share?

wwm0nkey

I'm referring more to things like the rumored OS crashes and broken Live matchmaking, the absurd embargoes covering up something, and this post:

The resolution differences aren't earth shattering, but frequent hardware malfunctions can be.

There is also this imagine from the one thread.

imageskkyz.jpg

Madness

Except they sort of are no? When you are charging $100 more for your console than your competitor, it is. Even if you take $100 off price for Kinect, the Xbox One is still same price as the PS4. And yet the differences are significant enough that they can easily achieve 1080p/60 FPS on PS4 for CoD: Ghosts but can only achieve 720p for Xbox One.

And sure it'll get better, they'll easily get 1080p soon enough, just like Forza and others. But the hardware gap will remain, as will the fact it's genuinely harder to develop for Xbox One, than it is PS4 and this won't bode well for multiplats, nor a few years from now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Except they sort of are no? When you are charging $100 more for your console than your competitor, it is. Even if you take $100 off price for Kinect, the Xbox One is still same price as the PS4. And yet the differences are significant enough that they can easily achieve 1080p/60 FPS on PS4 for CoD: Ghosts but can only achieve 720p for Xbox One.

And sure it'll get better, they'll easily get 1080p soon enough, just like Forza and others. But the hardware gap will remain, as will the fact it's genuinely harder to develop for Xbox One, than it is PS4 and this won't bode well for multiplats, nor a few years from now.
For me, it's a big deal, but for those that really like Microsoft's ecosystem, it could be a trade-off. Stuff like hardware issues would affect everyone in a negative way.

IHaveIce

Banned
Right now HaloGAF again discuss' stuff that is discussed in other threads just to discuss it alone.

Don't close us again :(

I will wait till CBOAT will release these infos about huge hardware issues .... people have to know ifthere will be 2nd RROD

Also played some great games of Halo 3 again <3 Though it really shows that also Halo 3 has the problem any online Halo had... bad gametype selection and what is running in matchmaking.

Madness

Right now HaloGAF again discuss' stuff that is discussed in other threads just to discuss it alone.

Don't close us again :(

I will wait till CBOAT will release these infos about huge hardware issues .... people have to know ifthere will be 2nd RROD

Also played some great games of Halo 3 again <3 Though it really shows that also Halo 3 has the problem any online Halo had... bad gametype selection and what is running in matchmaking.

I don't think it's a bad thing, nearly every other community talks about this stuff in their thread. That's the whole point of the Halo community. Plus, they locked us because it turned into meta talk, blatant insults and that we'd post info here but not create threads.

Gaming side moves too fast, and has too many knee-jerk posters that it's hard to actually discuss these things in that thread. But you're right, no point discussing it here then.

Top Bottom