• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

FyreWulff

Never got why people have such distaste for that level. It's certainly not the pinnacle of any of the campaigns, but it's also fairly short and they give you plenty of weapons to burn through the Flood.

Flood levels are boring.

ODST and Reach were so much better for not having the previously obligatory Flood levels. Even Wars had 'em, and they had the same "remember that fun you were having? Time to stop for a bit" effect.

Thanks guys! Big quote post ahead:

Looks great, now you just need a tablet ;)
I bought a graphics card instead...
Good stuff man, have anything else to share?
Not Halo related... um, airplanes?
Looks great Prinz. Are you gonna make a 3D model of it?
No, but...
Might have to load up max tomorrow.
Sweet!
I don't know. I've been playing Halo for years and I don't think that looks like something that belongs in Halo.
Noooo u
This is dope.
That's actually really awesome.
Also, the way the BR is drawn here means that you could potentially remove the sight mount and replace it with a configuration that resembles the DMR. Neat.
This look really rad! It actually seems like a much more natural progression of how the BR's design might evolve over time than Halo 4's boxier redesign (although I still like the look of the H4 BR). The only thing I think I'm not crazy about is the smaller, more square looking (maybe, it's hard to get an impression with just the one view to go by) scope that doesn't seem to mesh with the overall sleeker, curvier look of the rest of the gun. Well, that and also I really like the design of the original BR's scope.
I'd also recommend a more Halo 2 / 3-ish scope, but I think my favorite part about the design is how varied all the materials are. It looks like something made out of real parts compared to the Halo 4 BR consisting of generic squishy space metals in different colors.
Thanks guys! I kept a Halo 4 style scope because I thought it looked more futuristic and because I thought the smaller size better communicated the type of range it was supposed to be used at (bigger scope, longer range). The Halo 2 and 3 scopes looked like you could buy them at Wal-Mart. And I did make the top specifically a rail so you could switch them out. I almost colored the round scope I had, but I just felt it was finished for now. Maybe later...

HTupolev

Never got why people have such distaste for that level. It's certainly not the pinnacle of any of the campaigns, but it's also fairly short and they give you plenty of weapons to burn through the Flood.
Halo 1's Flood levels could at least become awesome if you really made an effort to embrace them. Even The Library is pretty glorious if you play the fights really aggressively.

Halo 3 doesn't do quite as well. The Flood combat usually tries to permit aggression like Halo 1's, but it's a weird melee-centric thing that's less exciting and doesn't flow as well. Sometimes it's still decent; most of Floodgate is not bad, for instance. But when the ranged pure forms show up, it destroys what flow the combat had. There have been times when I'd almost rather be fighting Prometheans.

Why does Halo Reach feel better to me than Halo 3? Netcode seems better, Game seems to flow better. It has a more visceral feeling.

Did I adapt?

Why does Halo Reach feel better to me than Halo 3? Netcode seems better, Game seems to flow better. It has a more visceral feeling.

Did I adapt?

Netcode in Reach is light years better, aiming feels a lot better, visual and audio feedback is great, wider FOV.

It's not that crazy, I think they made plenty of bad design decisions but in more technical terms like the above Reach is a pretty huge improvement over its predecessor.

FyreWulff

Did I adapt?

Because Reach has better feedback and netcode.

On one of the pre-release Bungie podcasts, they said Reach's netcode took 40% less bandwidth to function than Halo 3's.

I jumped between H3, Reach and H4 a bit the other day to get a feel and the only one that left me satisfied was Reach. So much so that I want to play it more and more. A feeling I hardly ever have with games now.

I jumped between H3, Reach and H4 a bit the other day to get a feel and the only one that left me satisfied was Reach. So much so that I want to play it more and more. A feeling I hardly ever have with games now.

Elite Slayer as default Spartan movement/gameplay and better maps could've went a long way for that game.

Reach is seriously the best Halo game in terms of quality. Game was so smooth, polished, and perfect. <3 Full fledged, fully functional at launch. No real game breaking issues, no missing features at launch, no downgraded modes. Perfect.

daedalius

Reach was the best in the series aside from actual gameplay.

ZB/faster movement reach is pretty great still I think, definitely the most fun mode in the game. It is a bit skatey, and you have a bit too much inertia though.

100% bloom was absolutely infuriating, as are nuclear nades and regular slow movement speed. 3x zoom on the DMR was a mistake, as was a remade hemorrhage coupled with that DMR.

So yea, that seems like an accurate assessment.

So I tried carving a pumpkin in honor of Easter coming up and used my old Promethean Knight head / current personal logo as a base.

eOetUCH.png

iVkxNEH.png

6axE4et.png

It's kinda shitty on purpose because I needed something spoopy for an album cover since I'm having a surprise single released on Halloween. It doesn't look like complete shit in the dark, though, much like me.

bWWRKTH.png

Halo 1 gameplay.
Halo 2 maps.
Halo 3 Theater.
Halo Reach player feedback, features, etc.
ODST Firefight.
Halo 4 audio (feeling of POWER).

All improved with next gen hardware and new industry standards.

EDIT: Halo Wars commitment to hardcore fans.

So I tried carving a pumpkin in honor of Easter coming up and used my old Promethean Knight head / current personal logo as a base.

eOetUCH.png

iVkxNEH.png

6axE4et.png

It's kinda shitty on purpose because I needed something spoopy for an album cover since I'm having a surprise single released on Halloween. It doesn't look like complete shit in the dark, though, much like me.

bWWRKTH.png
"It looks shitty on purpose."

Sureeeeeeeeee.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Halo 1 gameplay.
Halo 2 maps.
Halo 3 Theater.
Halo Reach player feedback, features, etc.
ODST Firefight.
Halo 4 audio (feeling of POWER).

All improved with next gen hardware and new industry standards.

Industry standards such as hundreds of microtransactions, subscription-based DLC, and motion controls.

So... COD has had the bots treatment for a long time now.

Any chance Halo gets bots? I know it might be hard to program them correctly, considering how tactical Halo actually is and how important jumping in the Halo games have always been. I just feel like a mode similar to squads would be pretty fun in Halo. Could easily be related to the lore, saying that the Infinity got some kind of new technology on the ship that allows for AI units to take over Spartan armor.

Could also be used for Firefight (pls bring it back 343) and Spartan Ops.

I agree with the split player base comments but a possible use of bots could be to replace JiP. Loosely match the bots skill to the players TS rank that quit out, with the cloud maybe drivatar tech could be useful in Halo.

If you had 4 basic squad commands on the d-pad bots could actually be useful e.g. follow, defend, attack, partrol area.

daydream

Banned
Help me out, HaloGAF. Posted this in the recent LTTP Halo 3 thread:

Is there a Team Slayer-like mode that requires DLC maps? The people playing regular TS don't own any of them, so I'm always seeing the same maps.

HTupolev

The sentinel factory is one of my favourite hidden/kind of cut bits in Halo 2.
Hard to call it either "hidden" or "cut" when it's one of the areas you fight through in QZ.

Anyway, as much as SI/QZ isn't particularly my favourite part of Halo 2, it's got style. And a very strong allure for the tricking community part of me. Much of the coolest shit ever accomplished in the Halo campaigns was accomplished on Quarantine Zone.

Top Bottom