• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Have you gotten a chance to play it yet? Pretty fun, but I'm not that into fighters.

I have not!

However I've been following the development since announcement, and it looks realllly good. 97% of impressions have been positive, which makes me even more excited. KI was my favorite franchise before Halo, and I've waited SO long for a sequel.

It's pretty much the only reason I'm getting the Xbox One at launch over the PS4

nillapuddin

I would like to believe that the vast majority of issues with spartan ops, were due to technical limitations.

Im willing to give them another chance.
If ODST firefight comes back

Omni

Dedicated servers will save the day. Spartan Ops in H4 was literally unplayable at times.
Sadly connection had little to do with that.

I hope they fix Spartan Ops. Its current iteration is absolutely terrible. I see what they're trying to achieve with the mode... but eh. If you're going to serve up some washed up copy and paste overly scripted clusterfuck, why even bother? Do it right or don't do it at all. Otherwise you're just going to get another two years of people saying that they want Firefight back.

image.php

Fracas

#fuckonami
http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/...-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

No fuckin way

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

I asked if could be fixed soon. He said that anything is possible and Microsoft is obviously working on it but he thinks it will be months, not weeks. Getting online launch games certified is taking so long that it’s pushing games after launch back.

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

i dunno sounds legit, thats exactly MS these days, just a bunch of "programmers" "engineers" and a bunch of "execs" and noone fucking knows about gaming.

To be fair, this Dodd dingus and his wife have both been spewing booty juices all over twitter about joining the winning side by getting a PS4 and other very definitely unbiased shit. The fact that he hyped these UI problems up to being the Ballmercaust could pose some legitimate problems, but at the same time he also didn't post the article on GAF in favor of getting some debatably-deserved blog hits.

Even if things do go to shit with the XBO launch (which they can and will), I can't say this dude's really the best platform to rally under.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't know what to think anymore. I think it's weird he posted it on his blog and not GAF.

And even if these problems are there now, Microsoft is literally throwing money at their programmers to fix it. It's interesting to think about the ramifications if these issues remain at launch though. Especially with 2 huge multiplatform FPSes coming out.

I don't know what to think anymore. I think it's weird he posted it on his blog and not GAF.

And even if these problems are there now, Microsoft is literally throwing money at their programmers to fix it. It's interesting to think about the ramifications if these issues remain at launch though. Especially with 2 huge multiplatform FPSes coming out.

cod and bf will mainly be played on last gen systems.

Madness

Well we're only 3 and half weeks from launch, so they've probably lit some fires under asses. Any hiccups and the word of mouth will spread before Christmas shopping really starts.

Defect

I trust Cboat way more than this guy. I thought he was a Sony insider at first but I guess he's not? Well if it's true, it'll get fixed eventually and that's all that matters.

posted in the comments of that article:

This is 100% false. Yes our OS had this problem, but months ago. I am talking E3 months ago even before the DRM. You’re right when you say we “changed the way it worked” and that did cause problems. DRM removal (your fault and a late decision upstairs due to the numbers) pushed us back even further. It wasn’t as easy as a patch, flipping a switch. It was built into the system. The online check went through more than the games. There were features that had to be redone including our sharing system and some other features we did not get to announce that we plan on adding on. Everyone is working their ass off 24/7 until launch. Yes it’s buggy but after you install the 2GB day one update, the UI will work just fine and also expect the console (if connected) to auto update when you’re offline, or in the background at night. This will happen throught the life cycle and the cloud enables us to patch In things remotely. If games were pushed back you’d hear about that. Actually XBO games have gone gold and are running fine. COD Ghost is 900p, RYSE. 900p, DR3 720p, FORZA 1080p, BF4 900p, KI 720p, ZOO TYCOON 1080p, TITANFALL running from 900-1080 (not finalized of course), Halo 1080p (they’ve been working on this for 2 years now and can fully take advantage like Turn10. ) To be truthful I can’t wait until the 22nd because when our system runs fine, you won’t be very popular in the industry. You and your friends at NeoGaf have some sort of anti Microsoft agenda that we get tired of reading. Also, Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive. Not Xbox. Respawn can leave EA at any time and we can publish it after the first year. Enjoy.

take with a grain of salt (obviously)

JDHarbs

This is why I generally avoid things at launch, except Halo games (gotta get in on all the sweet turbo BK action).
I do the same thing. Give everything time to iron out major issues and then join in. Launch hype tends to get the best of many people. (i.e. RRoD and Colonial Marines)

Madness

They've been working on Halo 5 for two years? That could easily be some fanboy writing that, especially since so many people have confirmed CoD:Ghosts is indeed 720p not 900p.

daedalius

Won't matter to gaming side.

Kinda cool to hear halo at 1080p and they've been working on the tech for 2 years, rumor of course still; but one that's mildly believable.

I imagine pre production started on 5 as soon as 4 was finished, probably during!

Kinda cool to hear halo at 1080p and they've been working on the tech for 2 years, rumor of course still; but one that's mildly believable.

I imagine pre production started on 5 as soon as 4 was finished, probably during!

if that comment is real, then yes it would be very interesting.

there's no doubt 343 will push the tech to it's limit.

Fracas

#fuckonami

They've been working on Halo 5 for two years? That could easily be some fanboy writing that, especially since so many people have confirmed CoD:Ghosts is indeed 720p not 900p.

It could be true, but verified insiders are saying basically the opposite.

Definitely during. The workload of artist, designers, and programmers, etc isn't completely balance throughout the process. For example, what I think happens is generally the beginning of a project is programming-heavy since they're working on the core engine (and probably concept-art heavy, too) but light on the general art since formats and resource requirements are in flux. Later on, the artists are crunching to make everything now that things are more or less settled, but a lot of the programmers don't have much to do since the engine is more or less complete, so they start working on the engine for the next project. If that makes sense.

Fracas

#fuckonami
"Verified insiders" lol lawdy

Uhhhh you basically just agreed with a random anonymous comment on someone's blog

I think I can trust posters that have been nearly spot on over that.
edit: not to mention gerstmann just backed it up http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to
I can't wait until these consoles come out so we could just play games.

Next gen in general has gotten so worse since the console announcements. Features missing, issues in development. On both sides. It feels like every day there's something new.

daedalius

Uhhhh you basically just agreed with a random anonymous comment on someone's blog

I think I can trust posters that have been basically spot on over that.

Next gen in general has gotten so worse since the console announcements. Features missing, issues in development. On both sides. It feels like every day there's something new.

I said it sounded cool and was obviously still a rumor.

Same as agreement, obviously.

You know, since the third console curse is a thing and it looks like fourth consoles turn out ridiculously powerful / effective, the Xbox One Two is gonna be nuts.

From what i understand COD is 720p due to optimization and not enough time. in theory next years COD will be 1080p and 60 fps.

COD Ghost is 900p

NOOOO THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE HOW THE HELL WHY MICROSOFT WHY-

Halo 1080p

Lol fuck CoD I don't need it. Thank you 343 <3 Excited for Halo 5 :)

I can believe it, seems to be based purely on facts, and hell, even admits to negatives like CoD and Battlefield 4 not being 1080p. Also gave us our first leak on the Day One update, it's (or is around) 2 GBs. So if we find out the update IS 2 GBs, we know his entire comment is true.

Come on! I believe!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I think I can trust posters that have been nearly spot on over that.
edit: not to mention gerstmann just backed it up http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65304165708/this-is-still-breaking-news-but-do-you-want-to

This shit always happens. It's just that with the way media is these days it spreads faster and there are easier methods for people to make their voice heard. It's not like PS4/XB1 are the first consoles to ever run into issues.

really hope its not that bad

i just want to play KI ;__;

Have you gotten a chance to play it yet? Pretty fun, but I'm not that into fighters.

I....... cannot wait for this game.

Let's think about this. Halo 5 is running at 1080p, right now, and it has been in development for 2 years.

Halo 4 was announced to have gone gold on September 26th, 2012.

So you mean to tell me they've been working on Halo 5 one year before Halo 4 went gold with an incomplete team and a lot of development problems?

If this is "mildly believable" then how are you accepting this as a Halo fan? I'd be pretty upset to find out that resources were deliberately spread thin and/or outright cut on Halo 4 to begin working on the next Halo. Isn't that what people were calling Ozzy crazy for?

Yet.. a lot of us here are crazy fans to you though, amirite? :]

Fracas

#fuckonami
If we're posting totally legit anonymous Halo 5 posts, then I can drop this one

There are a few drawbacks with aiming for 60 FPS. First the game will not render in native 1080p. Current resoultion on display plane 2 is 1920x720 (1,3 Megapixel compared to 2 for 1080p), display plane 1 (HUD an weapon) will be native 1080p. You literally cant tell the difference.

Top Bottom