• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I....... cannot wait for this game.

Let's think about this. Halo 5 is running at 1080p, right now, and it has been in development for 2 years.

Halo 4 was announced to have gone gold on September 26th, 2012.

So you mean to tell me they've been working on Halo 5 one year before Halo 4 went gold with an incomplete team and a lot of development problems?

If this is "mildly believable" then how are you accepting this as a Halo fan? I'd be pretty upset to find out that resources were deliberately spread thin and/or outright cut on Halo 4 to begin working on the next Halo. Isn't that what people were calling Ozzy crazy for?

Yet.. a lot of us here are crazy fans to you though, amirite? :]
"Hey 343, we're finally working on the Xbox One, we NEED a Halo game within the first year. Pull half of you're very giant studio, and have them working on Halo 5 NOW. Learn the ins and out of our new system. Get ready to release a Halo game in 2015." - Microsoft 2011

At this point, all they need is the go ahead to start building the basic foundation of Halo 5. Story is probably already written and ready to go, and has been for a while, regardless of what they like to claim. Hell, maybe this is the reason Halo 4 was so outsourced to hell and back, maybe too much of the team was working on Halo 5, so they hired Certain Affinity to basically create Forge, the Multiplayer Maps, etc. Also why the hired Axis to make basically every cutscene, or why they hired random companies to make and model the in game armor. I totally see it as a possibility that 343 had split their almost 400 employees onto two projects, one which is certainly more important to Microsoft, Next Gen Halo.

daedalius

Let's think about this. Halo 5 is running at 1080p, right now, and it has been in development for 2 years.

So you mean to tell me they've been working on Halo 5 one year before Halo 4 went gold with an incomplete team and a lot of development problems?

If this is "mildly believable" then how are you accepting this as a Halo fan? I'd be pretty upset to find out that resources were deliberately spread thin and/or outright cut on Halo 4 to begin working on the next Halo. Isn't that what people were calling Ozzy crazy for?

Parts of the team work on different parts of the game.

I doubt the concept artists, for example, were working on halo 4 up until it shipped.

Engineers probably weren't either for the most part, the ones that would be investigating the new tech and making tools to use it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I jumped between H3, Reach and H4 a bit the other day to get a feel and the only one that left me satisfied was Reach. So much so that I want to play it more and more. A feeling I hardly ever have with games now.
Yupppp, I feel the same way. Reach is easily my favorite Halo on Xbox Live.

This is why I generally avoid things at launch, except Halo games (gotta get in on all the sweet turbo BK action).
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about hardware issues with the PS4 launch. I would just be so disappointed if the thing broke down on me in a year or two. I'll probably get an extended warranty, just in case. Feels like a total rip off to pay for good custom service, but there's not much I can do about that.

And damn, I hope those XB1 rumors aren't true.

If they were working on Halo 5 before 4 released it would explain all the outsourcing.

Reach is easily the best playable XBL Halo game right now.

Halo CE doesnt have Live
Halo 2 can no longer be played
Halo 3 has aged really hard and the support for it stinks
Halo 4 is just awful. Not a lot of fun to play honestly. Too much crap going on too.

Reach you can go ZB MLG and have some crazy competitive matches, Good netcode, Game/Map selection is easiest to get what you want. The game engine itself is really good too in my opinion. Runs smooth for me at least, a few framerate issues here and there but nothing that other Halo's aren't guilty of as well.

They really should nerf the nades a bit in terms of radius and damage imo though and get a playlist consolidation as it can no longer support that number of playlists but of course thats crazy talk. Also possibly make universal 75% bloom or something so it resets a bit quicker.

Parts of the team work on different parts of the game.

I doubt the concept artists, for example, were working on halo 4 up until it shipped.

Engineers probably weren't either for the most part, the ones that would be investigating the new tech and making tools to use it.

The engineers were already well into working on Grunt Lunch Rush Simulator 2013 after they finished Halo 4, though.

Halo 5 1080p? Nah. Probably 720/900p

Reach is easily the best playable XBL Halo game right now.

Halo CE doesnt have Live
Halo 2 can no longer be played
Halo 3 has aged really hard and the support for it stinks
Halo 4 is just awful. Not a lot of fun to play honestly. Too much crap going on too.

Reach you can go ZB MLG and have some crazy competitive matches, Good netcode, Game/Map selection is easiest to get what you want. The game engine itself is really good too in my opinion. Runs smooth for me at least, a few framerate issues here and there but nothing that other Halo's aren't guilty of as well.

They really should nerf the nades a bit in terms of radius and damage imo though and get a playlist consolidation as it can no longer support that number of playlists but of course thats crazy talk. Also possibly make universal 75% bloom or something so it resets a bit quicker.

H3 is the best even with lag.

Madness

Bonnie when she went on stage only mentioned 60 FPS and dedicated servers as what they're guaranteeing for Halo 4.

Now obviously 343 is greatly talented in terms of technical ability especially with the help they'll get from other MS engineers, but it'll be tough to pull off 1080p and 60 FPS in their first run through, especially if others are having trouble. Not even Killzone is 60 FPS at 1080p.

Maybe by the time it launches, it'll happen, but the more I think about it, it'll be tough.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a pretty solidly converted PS4 fanboy, but I honestly don't give a shit about 1080p. It's nice, but 720 works fine for me. Sweeping problems with Xbox Live, however, would concern the hell out of me if I were getting an XB1.

Madness

X1 zZZzzzzzzzzzzz

MP is.

Damn you're right. I just searched and they say it runs at 60 fps 'a lot of the time' though it does dip. Maybe 343 can pull it off then.

For me it's not much that 720p is bad compared to 1080p, it's more the fact that the cheaper console runs the same game better.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm a pretty solidly converted PS4 fanboy, but I honestly don't give a shit about 1080p. It's nice, but 720 works fine for me. Sweeping problems with Xbox Live, however, would concern the hell out of me if I were getting an XB1.

You're crazy man. I much prefer 1080p or even 900p if at all possible.

And while I care a lot more about the PS4 now, I want the Xbox One to be good. I just want reliable hardware and quality games. I'm not even really sold on the PS4's launch lineup, but the fact that multiplats are better there coupled with Destiny's exclusive content while being $100 cheaper...it's an easy decision for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just not that picky about visuals. I could play Halo CE in HD and 60 FPS forever and ever and be happy with it.

And while I care a lot more about the PS4 now, I want the Xbox One to be good. I just want reliable hardware and quality games. I'm not even really sold on the PS4's launch lineup, but the fact that multiplats are better there coupled with Destiny's exclusive content while being $100 cheaper...it's an easy decision for me.

I'd rather 720p 60fps over 1080p 30fps any day. Plus, Halo doesn't need all sorts of ridiculous strings pulled to look great anyway - I'd love a more minimalist colorful title with emphasis on the lighting / collision / etc. engines over ridiculously detailed models and textures, sort of like a natural extension of what Halo 3 did.

HTupolev

Damn you're right. I just searched and they say it runs at 60 fps 'a lot of the time' though it does dip. Maybe 343 can pull it off then.
There's no question as to whether they can or cannot pull it off. They could do a 1080p60 Halo on Xbox 360 no problem if they felt like it. The question is whether they want to. The XBO is likely going to be reasonably happy until you start bleeding into DDR3, which means that devs might have to pick between 1080p and large G-buffer formats. Targeting 1080p60 on XBO with a KZ:SF-style graphics engine is probably an insane goal; I'd be very surprised if "using the hardware well" would make that amount of DDR3 framebuffer access practical.

But a lean G-buffer format at a lower resolution (like what Bungie has been doing with Reach and soon Destiny on 360)? That could work just fine.
Or throw modern sensibilities to the wind and just forward-render everything xD

Computron

There's no question as to whether they can or cannot pull it off. They could do a 1080p60 Halo on Xbox 360 no problem if they felt like it. The question is whether they want to. The XBO is likely going to be reasonably happy until you start bleeding into DDR3, which means that devs might have to pick between 1080p and large G-buffer formats. Targeting 1080p60 on XBO with a KZ:SF-style graphics engine is probably an insane goal; I'd be very surprised if "using the hardware well" would make that amount of DDR3 framebuffer access practical.

But a lean G-buffer format at a lower resolution (like what Bungie has been doing with Reach and soon Destiny on 360)? That could work just fine.

Didn't Crysis 3 do some clever stuff to get the console versions running at (Full 720p?) resolution? IIRC, they packed everything in their "thin G-buffer" using different color space that they would compress even further to save bandwidth and they limited the number of g-buffers by using less complex shaders and forward rendered the more complex shaders that would otherwise require the additional g-buffers.

Do you think anyone writing their own engines will be using the old forward rendering methods anymore? (Not forward+ or any of those things)

My 2 cents on the situation:

With the consoles going into manufacturing late August-early September, I'd hazard a guess that the OS build on the X1 is probably from late July to early August, and I'd believe that build is probably quite buggy, knowing that they were going to push an update out to it in early November for launch. I assume this is largely the reason the review embargo is until the 12th, they don't want the media reviewing the console without "final" software and considering that most of the launch games have already been printed, that also gives devs a chance to put out a "day one" patch/update to their game assuming they planned on that (almost all games do these days).

The same is likely true with the PS4, where apparently the media will not be getting consoles and all console reviews and first-party game reviews will be taking place at review events only a few days prior to the console's launch. Again, probably because they want reviews based on the software that consumers will actually be using on day one.

Will both console launches be 100% flawless with no issues? No, but for the most part it's going to be okay and I really doubt it will be the disaster that some dude's with wordpress blogs like to claim in order to get some hits.

----------------------

2 years on Halo 5: For core engine work, that's definitely possible for a small team to be working on that for the last two years. Most high-level core engine work is probably not changed within the final year of development (for Halo 4), so I think it's feasible that a very small team has been doing engine work for about 2 years at this point.

Sai-kun

Banned
tumblr_mv7dakQnnz1stve7yo1_250.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My 2 cents on the situation:

With the consoles going into manufacturing late August-early September, I'd hazard a guess that the OS build on the X1 is probably from late July to early August, and I'd believe that build is probably quite buggy, knowing that they were going to push an update out to it in early November for launch. I assume this is largely the reason the review embargo is until the 12th, they don't want the media reviewing the console without "final" software and considering that most of the launch games have already been printed, that also gives devs a chance to put out a "day one" patch/update to their game assuming they planned on that (almost all games do these days).

The same is likely true with the PS4, where apparently the media will not be getting consoles and all console reviews and first-party game reviews will be taking place at review events only a few days prior to the console's launch. Again, probably because they want reviews based on the software that consumers will actually be using on day one.

Will both console launches be 100% flawless with no issues? No, but for the most part it's going to be okay and I really doubt it will be the disaster that some dude's with wordpress blogs like to claim in order to get some hits.

----------------------

2 years on Halo 5: For core engine work, that's definitely possible for a small team to be working on that for the last two years. Most high-level core engine work is probably not changed within the final year of development (for Halo 4), so I think it's feasible that a very small team has been doing engine work for about 2 years at this point.

I would agree with this. Aside from them I believe the last year of Halo 4 was all hands on deck. I would imagine someone like Corrine Yu has been hard at work on the next gen Halo for 2 years or more.

I'd rather 720p 60fps over 1080p 30fps any day. Plus, Halo doesn't need all sorts of ridiculous strings pulled to look great anyway - I'd love a more minimalist colorful title with emphasis on the lighting / collision / etc. engines over ridiculously detailed models and textures, sort of like a natural extension of what Halo 3 did.

I'd love for a more simplistic and clean look too; more maps like Haven over highly detailed maps for example, but I don't think we'll get it since Halo will be seen as the best way for Microsoft to show off the Xbox One's power.

The next Smash is a good example of going from too much unnecessary detail (Brawl) to a more simplistic colorful art style. Dem Mario denim jeans.

nillapuddin

Nov 15th. The day Ive been waiting for
Pokemon Origins in English

It would be ridiculous to assume anything other than the fact that they have been working on Halo 5 for "years"

remember the good ole days, when games were on 3+ year dev cycles?

If I heard they had not been establishing the ground work for Halo 5 pre Halo 4 I would be upset.

I just think to the fact that they brought in some serious engineering muscle to 343, and that Halo 4 could probably only be taken so far with console and disc limitations. I seriously look forward to what the proverbial all star team 343 has assembled can do with their own dev cycle and a full~ team

IHaveIce

Banned
Steely is mostly right. The article isn't on the latest update. No worries about the software, except the normal simple hiccups.

Hardware is more interesting..mostly because I have no clue if the hardware runs perfectly.

The Halo stuff is mostly right besides that the 1080p thing is so subject to change like it is possible. They are 1 year away from launch, they will see how difficult it becomes to hold 60fps and 1080p...

Edit: I mean I guess so.

Duji

Halo 1 gameplay.
Halo 2 maps.
Halo 3 Theater.
Halo Reach player feedback, features, etc.
ODST Firefight.
Halo 4 audio (feeling of POWER).

All improved with next gen hardware and new industry standards.

EDIT: Halo Wars commitment to hardcore fans.

Hopefully Halo 5 does more than having the best online connection and best frame rate.

I don't know what to think anymore. I think it's weird he posted it on his blog and not GAF.

And even if these problems are there now, Microsoft is literally throwing money at their programmers to fix it. It's interesting to think about the ramifications if these issues remain at launch though. Especially with 2 huge multiplatform FPSes coming out.

He didn't post it on GAF because he was awaiting confirmation/permission from bish/CBoAT. I'm not sure if I believe what the comment says, I doubt 343 could manage 1080p w/ 60fps, most likely is 720p w/ 60fps.

Fuchsdh

It could be true, but verified insiders are saying basically the opposite.
If they aren't going to actually come out, state their names and jobs, then there's always going to be a credibility gap, especially for fanboys, attention whores or idiots to fill with nonsense.

Once the consoles actually come out, we'll know for sure. Until then I'm not buying the crap any of these guys are selling any more than I believe everything PR from Sony and Microsoft tells us.

Helljumper is good, Fall of Reach is good, Bloodlines is okay (Spartan characters are pretty weak), Uprising is forgettable.

mo60

People on a site I moderate are going crazy over all the next gen rumours being posted by insiders here. I rather not believe any of these rumours until both consoles launch.

I actually enjoy playing halo 3 even though I mostly played the campaign so far. I can;t wait to play more of the multiplayer, but sadly I still need to buy one of the map packs to play in some of the playlists.

Top Bottom