• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Duji

BTV5oe7.jpg
This whole time I thought the cover of Led Zep 1 was the bottom of a very oddly shaped boot. Fuck me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can't even imagine Speedy's meltdown if the XB1 OS/XBL are buggy at launch.

These rumors exist for a reason. Both consoles are coming in hot.

IHaveIce

Banned
The only thing that's going to make me do that at this point is if they announce they are removing features.

You would like them to cut stuff like Theater etc?

That is dumb, I get cutting some weapons or armor abilities etc but real game features?

Or I'm misinterpreting this.

And man it sucks that half of HaloGAF is rehashed gaming side discussion :/

Fuchsdh

That is dumb, I get cutting some weapons or armor abilities etc but real game features?

As someone who is not a fan of Juices, he says far more intelligent things than what's going on gaming side. It's not rehashed for me, it's actual meaningful discussion.

At this point I'm hoping the PS4 has some RRoD issue of its own for maximum drama, because I can't see anything else productive coming out of the fanboy wars. Might as well be in it for the drama.

On the Halo front, would be cool for a new headlining feature, but I generally hunk at least for a player like me improved aspects of previous ones are far more useful. Dunno how the average player interprets that though.

As someone who is not a fan of Juices, he says far more intelligent things than what's going on gaming side. It's not rehashed for me, it's actual meaningful discussion.

At this point I'm hoping the PS4 has some RRoD issue of its own for maximum drama, because I can't see anything else productive coming out of the fanboy wars. Might as well be in it for the drama.

On the Halo front, would be cool for a new headlining feature, but I generally hunk at least for a player like me improved aspects of previous ones are far more useful. Dunno how the average player interprets that though.

No kidding. The signal to noise ratio in the gaming side has taken a huge dump in the past three months.

Homeboyd

Theater was already cut. Half of it anyways. I think he's referring to things like Spartan Ops, which I would agree with. I would take an exact replica of even Reach's FF over an expanded SpOps. No offense to anyone who helped developed it, just my sincere opinion. Felt like playing campaign all over again (which I also wasn't a huge fan of compared to earlier campaigns). Scoring/medals, somewhat creative 'challenges,' leaderboards, netcode, customization, theater, skulls, etc... were just a few of the reasons I much preferred Reach's FF to SpOps.

In this case, I too would be in favor of a feature being cut (if it meant a replacement could return).

No, I don't want both.

FyreWulff

They can do all the Spartan Ops they want. They just shouldn't prevent us playing the maps as straight Firefight arenas again, though.

Not only did it make Spartan Ops very one-and-done, we had to play the experiences 343 created and those only. You're not going to have the oh shit recaps of having 3 fireteams of mega elites after you or a Hunter sneaking up on you from behind. They either hit high (the Mantis Valhalla one, or the later tower defense-style one) or hit low. There's no emergence or anything organic about it. And you can't play the good ones over and over again, that gets boring since it's the same thing every time.

Add to that, Spartan Ops was held back by the fact that they were still using the Firefight engine. So every encounter had to take place in the single-loaded area. It was kind of boring knowing whatever area we were in, we were going to stay in, so the backtracking that would be required was apparent from the outset. If they had made in the Campaign engine they could have had at least multiple areas and a lot less "go to this side of valhalla. alright, now go back to the other end of valhalla"

edit: also, it was kind of annoying that Lasky and co always referred to the enemies as "the bad guys". Yeah, I know why they did it, they had to record the voice in advance and it has to be compatible with any possible encounter, so they couldn't have them calling out specific units or else put the VA before gameplay. Still, it came off as making the characters feel like they were childish in the way they were talking. Next time, they should record an assortment of specific enemy callouts.

Do you see theatre returning given the console recording and streaming services (campaign or multi)? I'm kind of expecting in game theatre for next gen titles (Halo X1 specifically) is going the way of the dodo. This goes for either PS4 or X1.

Fuchsdh

Do you see theatre returning given the console recording and streaming services (campaign or multi)? I'm kind of expecting in game theatre for next gen titles (Halo X1 specifically) is going the way of the dodo. This goes for either PS4 or X1.

I feel like we've talked about it previously, but my feeling is that Theater will not go away for games that prioritized actually having the feature. Streaming is an addition to raising the low bar and giving players a chance to cap events that they wouldn't otherwise without a cap card; for games that have theater mode it's not harder to offer a better product.

pretty sure after chief's gone they'll make way for SAWUH POLMOH an DA HALO WEENGS will be weplaced by COBADENT ENCAMBMENDS

there is always a COBADENT, a SAWUH POLMOH and POSHING DA BOTTONS

I think we ended up talking about it on the most recent Podtacular, but someone made the point that Spartan Miller might be a logical new character if they continue the present storyline (and don't do something crazy like The Forerunner Wars or something using that time period.) I think it makes sense, and I think there's plenty of room to explore him as a character and fit in more logically with how the Halo games have played in the past.

Gaming side is stupid.

Xbox One is going to be amazing.

-720p
-The awesome power of virtual servers virtually making things virtually awesome
-Awesome Kinect accessory in every box
-Awesome new Halo game from 343 Industries in 2014
-Only 500 dollars

We know the new Halo game will be awesome because Halo 4 was so awesome and got a 9.8 on IGN.

All of the rumors can't be true, so they're probably all false and Xbox One is probably more powerful than PS4. Anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy.

I don't think so, because Theater offers a tool set, like 3rd person and free camera, that regular capture doesn't.

heckfu

Banned
Gaming side is stupid.

-720p
-Only 500 dollars

We know the new Halo game will be awesome because Halo 4 was so awesome and got a 9.8 on IGN.

All of the rumors can't be true, so they're probably all false and Xbox One is probably more powerful than PS4. Anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy.

alice-oh-he-mad.jpg

Stackboy

Hey guys, I pop in and lurk this thread from time to time.

I jumped on Halo 4 late last week, online MP. It had been a few months. I noticed 343 was doing pretty active updates to playlists, so I figured there would be some good activity for someone like me, riding solo.

In Team Slayer there was 1800 people worldwide. Big Teams had slightly more with 2100. Why are the numbers so small?

Also, the matchmaking is still shocking!! How do you regular players tolerate it? Or are you mostly running in big groups?

Karl2177

I jumped on Halo 4 late last week, online MP. It had been a few months. I noticed 343 was doing pretty active updates to playlists, so I figured there would be some good activity for someone like me, riding solo.

In Team Slayer there was 1800 people worldwide. Big Teams had slightly more with 2100. Why are the numbers so small?

Also, the matchmaking is still shocking!! How do you regular players tolerate it? Or are you mostly running in big groups?

Those that do play, play in groups. Most of us in HaloGAF don't actually play that game though.

Homeboyd

Gaming side is stupid.

-720p
-Only 500 dollars

Aww snap!

is broken

Fracas

#fuckonami
Probably not the best time to ask, but if any of you guys missed out on preordering an Xbox One, I haven't cancelled my preorder from back when the 180 happened and I don't want it. Been trying to get rid of it in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for awhile but no one's biting. I'm not flipping or anything, you'd just pay the super special HaloGAF discount order amount and it'd be shipped to you; you'd have it release day.

The numbers are small because people don't have fun playing the game, and they moved on to other games.

Yup most people who still play are playing cause their friends play and they play in groups. Single players are going to get crushed. There's still no mercenaries playlist where a single player can enter into a team playlist because playlist management has been spotty. Sustain team needs a few more Tashis or Juices.

The numbers are the fastest declining and lowest of all Halos. Mainly cause the game is no good and has way too much crap like ordnance, personal ordnance, dlc restrictions, crappy useless tournaments that dont bring any new fans in etc. etc. the list could go on for days.

I'd suggest popping in Halo 3. Its free.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gaming side is stupid.

-720p
-Only 500 dollars

Such anger.

Anyone check out the Ricochet contest playlist yet? All of the maps are quite good. I'll be hopping on tonight to play. I wanna check out Shotgun Ricochet. I wish Legendary Ricochet won though :/

Top Bottom