• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Omni

Gaming side is stupid.

Xbox One is going to be amazing.

-720p
-The awesome power of virtual servers virtually making things virtually awesome
-Awesome Kinect accessory in every box
-Awesome new Halo game from 343 Industries in 2014
-Only 500 dollars

We know the new Halo game will be awesome because Halo 4 was so awesome and got a 9.8 on IGN.

All of the rumors can't be true, so they're probably all false and Xbox One is probably more powerful than PS4. Anyone who says otherwise is a fanboy.
code-22.gif

I'm serious, guys. I switched my pre-order this morning. Think of all the sweet things that will carry over from this generation:

-gamerscore

Your GIFs cannot hurt me, take them back to gaming side, PSFanboys.

And Tashi, I'm sorry Shotgun Ricochet beat Legendary Ricochet too, :(.

I actually think one of Ricochet's greatest strengths is the fact that it plays with the normal weapon sandbox. Never understood the need for these specialty variants, they had a good thing from the get for once.

Hirednoobs zzzzzzZZzzz something trueskill.
Can't wait to get my Day One fift...I mean achievement.

You guys think I'm joking, but look at my achievement streak on the Halo games. I have almost all of them (just a handful left in Spartan Assault). You really think I'd let it end because of a bunch of PSFanboy hype?

Since with Halo 4 we just now finally got to 720p, I find all this talk about 1080p or die pretty funny.
720p is good enough. I mean, I went into Best Buy and all of the TVs are native 1080p but GUESS WHAT, they can UPSCALE to 1080p! Many people forget this simple truth.

Fuchsdh

Such anger.

Anyone check out the Ricochet contest playlist yet? All of the maps are quite good. I'll be hopping on tonight to play. I wanna check out Shotgun Ricochet. I wish Legendary Ricochet won though :/

Getting on now, actually, to try them out. I wish they'd put panos in the bulletin so you had a better feel for the maps.

Video walkthroughs for all maps in the future plz.

Havok

Such anger.

Anyone check out the Ricochet contest playlist yet? All of the maps are quite good. I'll be hopping on tonight to play. I wanna check out Shotgun Ricochet. I wish Legendary Ricochet won though :/
I actually just jumped back on for the first time in over two months for that playlist, and got Firestone (I had to look up the name - Forge map names are still the most opaque and arbitrary things on the planet). It wasn't bad, though the players on the other team definitely were so it was only a 5 minute game, which might make my impressions useless. I like the how that trench was implemented, the nooks are smart. I'm not a big fan of putting items on ledges like it does with the OS and sniper, though - no particular reason for that, it just never sits well with me especially when the pieces near it have railing. It also has some pretty wonky spawns, but I guess that's to be expected.

Wish I had more to say, but for whatever reason matchmaking was taking upwards of five minutes to find a game (well, after backing out of every JIP lobby it tried to put me in, that is), and Halo 4 is exactly as I remember, so I didn't keep going.

Seriously. He's probably my favorite HaloGAF poster when it comes to gameplay critique. Havok, too, but he barely posts anymore.

RIP Havok.

Whoops. The result of A) work taking all of the wind out of my sails, B) not playing the current Halo game for months on end, and C) I ran out of Halo-ey things to write about exhaustively. Totally open to suggestions for the third item, and to employment offers for the first.

Wait holdup people voted Shotgun Ricochet over Legendary Ricochet?

Man there are some masterful trolls on the internet. 343i you realize thats not actually what real people wanted right? Nobody wants to play that garbage.

Some of my pals are telling me they are getting an email from gamestop about changing your console preorder for the other console (Xbox to PS4 or PS4 for the Xbox). not sure if is only for Mexico and maybe the rest of America.

nillapuddin

Since with Halo 4 we just now finally got to 720p, I find all this talk about 1080p or die pretty funny. I wonder how many gamers actually know the resolutions their favorite games natively put out.

Im happy 343 wants to shoot for 60fps, Ive recently played some 60fps games, and although it feels weird at first, if it provides a "better" experience for everyone, then go for it.

Wait holdup people voted Shotgun Ricochet over Legendary Ricochet?

Man there are some masterful trolls on the internet. 343i you realize thats not actually what real people wanted right? Nobody wants to play that garbage.

Ozzy raised an army of the dead and banned to vote for Shotgun Ricochet just to spite the community.

Not even
Kidding.

I mean come on. That's the worst choice of the three. At least Quickochet sounded interesting.

Madness

Since with Halo 4 we just now finally got to 720p, I find all this talk about 1080p or die pretty funny. I wonder how many gamers actually know the resolutions their favorite games natively put out.

Im happy 343 wants to shoot for 60fps, Ive recently played some 60fps games, and although it feels weird at first, if it provides a "better" experience for everyone, then go for it.

It's really apples and oranges. It's not about 720p or 1080p, it's about the fact that the cheaper console can play multiplatforms much better. So it's not that CoD: Ghosts is shit because it's 720p only. It's that CoD:Ghosts is 1080p on the console that is $100 cheaper.

Microsoft has really bungled everything about their console from day one. Everything they said at their reveal and at E3 was nixed and they did a 180. Then, they're forcing everyone to get a Kinect 2.0 with their Xbox One, and yet they now say, it's not required, you can even turn it off or unplug it or whatever.

It's only launch, these issues will be smoothed out as time goes on, but you can't say it's surprising that people are upset. PS4 is poised to be the lead development platform, it's more powerful, and yet cheaper.

Whoops. The result of A) work taking all of the wind out of my sails, B) not playing the current Halo game for months on end, and C) I ran out of Halo-ey things to write about exhaustively. Totally open to suggestions for the third item, and to employment offers for the first.

Oh just noticed this, but damn that sucks.. I hear 343 is hiring. Something something save Halo, etc. etc.

So where do you stand on the Xbox One/Halo? What are your deal breakers and/or things that would give you hope for Halo 5?

What are your deal breakers and/or things that would give you hope for Halo 5?
Traditional-style Halo game. No more Sprint. No armor abilities. Timed weapons and power-ups. All-purpose precision spawning weapon. Keep the visual design clean. Keep the audio design clean. Build the game for professional competitive play and it will be fun enough for everyone else too. The game should scream "depth and fun through simplicity".

A pretty fighting game. I can't wait for it to revolutionize gaming. A game such as Killer Instinct is only possible on next-gen consoles for sure.

yes double helix should have revolutionized the fighting game genre with a 20 year old fighting game.

because that worked out incredibly well for a certain 343 industries and halo 4. Double Helix has done everything right, and in my eyes this is the best launch title I could have ever asked for.

Fuchsdh

I'm someone who likes the design they gave the H4 shotgun (better than the chunk-tastic Reach one at least), but I really love the first-person view of the 1-3 shotgun. Dunno why, but something about those little lights. Kinda' friendly, when you're fighting through Flood soup.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Evade or Thruster Pack?
The first is too powerful and the second isn't powerful enough. I absolutely love using Evade, but it launches players too far, especially considering how slow the default movement speed is. And having two uses per full charge makes it even worse. And then Thruster feels like it just scoots you over a few inches.

I want something in between for Halo 5, and I want it to be a default ability. No more sprint.

Omni

I'm someone who likes the design they gave the H4 shotgun (better than the chunk-tastic Reach one at least), but I really love the first-person view of the 1-3 shotgun. Dunno why, but something about those little lights. Kinda' friendly, when you're fighting through Flood soup.
I don't understand this. Chunktastic?

If anything, Halo 3's is more "chunktastic" because of the FOV. Reach's shotgun is by far the best design... because essentially, it's Halo 3's with more polys.

The redesign is awful in Halo 4 (not that they did a good job at redesigning anything anyway). It doesn't even look like it belongs with the rest of the UNSC arsenal. There's absolutely nothing going on and it has lost all uniqueness. I'd go as far to argue that it's just an angular blob.

I'd put it on the same level as the sniper in terms of terrible redesigns that I can only assume made it through because the lead art designer is on crack.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think the Halo 4 shotgun looks fantastic. I love the unconventional, menacing design. Halo Reach is my second fave. The models before that are whatever.

Ominym

Banned
People actually think that Halo 4's shotgun looks good? What. It doesn't even look like a gun in first person. Hell, it looks more alien than most of the Forerunner weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XqWRACk2zY

So this is what the big deal was about. Both of them look exactly the same to me, except Xbox One is set to "cool" mode while PS4 is "warm" or something lol.

If this is what the differences between both consoles will be, 720p vs 900p, I don't care. No longer regretting my Xbox One purchase. Hell, I bet 720p Ghost vs 1080p Ghost probably look the same after Xbox One upscales it or whatever it does.

I'm much more excited for Guilty Gear Xrd next gen personally. Really hope they bring USFIV to Xbox One within 8 months of launch though.

Like I mentioned, I'm not huge into fighters..I didn't even know that game existed lol. KI was my favorite franchise before Halo, and maybe that's clouding my vision...but impressions have been good so far! I used to be huge into fighters when I was a kid, pretty bad, but I had lots of fun. Might get back into them this gen.

The BF4 footage looks the same? Am I missing something?

HTupolev

Hell, I bet 720p Ghost vs 1080p Ghost probably look the same after Xbox One upscales it or whatever it does.
Rofl.

Even if they had such an insanely good scaler that it matched comparable sharpness (which at the present time generally requires extremely snazzy offline methods), 1080p would still offer a huge advantage for details where it's hard to avoid undersampling. You could stand 50 feet from your TV, and Halo 3's specular highlights would still have blatantly obvious aliasing/shimmering issues (I've tried it).

Didn't Crysis 3 do some clever stuff to get the console versions running at (Full 720p?) resolution? IIRC, they packed everything in their "thin G-buffer" using different color space that they would compress even further to save bandwidth and they limited the number of g-buffers by using less complex shaders and forward rendered the more complex shaders that would otherwise require the additional g-buffers.
Crysis 3 on consoles is similar to Reach in terms of backbuffer size; 1024x720 on PS3 and 1152x720 on 360 (the latter being identical to Reach's backbuffer).

If they are using really slim G-buffers, using forward methods to apply special-case shading would indeed be expected. Bungie has talked about doing the same sort of stuff with Destiny (and Reach, I believe).

Do you think anyone writing their own engines will be using the old forward rendering methods anymore? (Not forward+ or any of those things)
Anyone? Yeah. They'll show up to the party.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Even if they had such an insanely good scaler that it matched comparable sharpness (which at the present time generally requires extremely snazzy offline methods), 1080p would still offer a huge advantage for details where it's hard to avoid undersampling. You could stand 50 feet from your TV, and Halo 3's specular highlights would still have blatantly obvious aliasing/shimmering issues (I've tried it).

Crysis 3 on consoles is similar to Reach in terms of backbuffer size; 1024x720 on PS3 and 1152x720 on 360 (the latter being identical to Reach's backbuffer).

If they are using really slim G-buffers, using forward methods to apply special-case shading would indeed be expected. Bungie has talked about doing the same sort of stuff with Destiny (and Reach, I believe).
sp9HDQj.gif

Top Bottom