• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

HTupolev

The Xbox version looks better than the PS4 screens, what
Same thing that happens this gen with 360 versus PS3 multiplat versions. Drop your screen's brightness and increase the contrast, and the PS4 version will look more or less like a cleaner variant of the XBO game.

Everything looks "OMG NEXT GEN" if you smash everything dark while keeping the highlights reasonably bright. Even Halo 3:

EK2loRi.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey Fracas, sent you a tweet, but do you still have that XB1 preorder? I know a former gaffer who may want it.

Yep. If you can, PM me their email or a way to get into contact with them. I gotta go to bed but I can get everything set up tomorrow

So hmmm about the PS4 account creation for the 1 month free of PSN+, should I wait to get the console and made my account or I just make it right now.

Omni

Looking at those X1 BF4 pics...
I'm disappointed that it just looks like a 360 game, only at 60fps and toppled with a few extra effects... the jump doesn't seem big enough. Certainly not enough to justify $600, anyway. It's the aliasing that gets to me... At the very least the PS4 is rendering at a higher res and aliasing is a lot less prominent.

I dunno. Maybe getting a PS4 first and an X1 if Halo 5 looks good is the way to go this gen

Madness

"...giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One."

"...Nevertheless the image in motion is clearly the superior of the two."

"...PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code"

All I really noticed from the article, that in a lot of areas, the PS4 version is superior.

720p = 921,600 pixels
900p = 1,440,000 pixels

It's not just a handful of pixels like people think. It's not comparable to current gen. The ps3 was largely at parity with a lot of releases, with slight texture/lighting differences. Almost always, the Xbox 360 versions were better until the end when finally ps4 started to have the better multiplats.

But here, you have the cheaper console be the lead console, the one easier to develop for and one more powerful. Battlefield 4, much like call of duty: Ghosts is easily superior on the ps4. I fear the Xbox One will be a console I get for only a handful of games, chief among them, Halo.

FyreWulff

I find it funny that the Wii U was supposedly screwed for having only 2GB of ram and 3 cores, but the One is just a step below the PS4 and it's also doomed for "lacking" power.

I'm not jumping on an Xbox One at launch because of Microsoft's behavior, not because it has slightly less gigacores than the PS4. All 3 consoles can potentially do games that are physically impossible execute on the 360 or PS3. Its gun b good

Looking at those X1 BF4 pics...

I'm disappointed that it just looks like a 360 game, only at 60fps and toppled with a few extra effects... the jump doesn't seem big enough. Certainly not enough to justify $600, anyway. It's the aliasing that gets to me... At the very least the PS4 is rendering at a higher res and aliasing is a lot less prominent.

I dunno. Maybe getting a PS4 first and an X1 if Halo 5 looks good is the way to go this gen

Expect third party games to look like 360+ for the next two to three years, unless the game is not available on the 360/PS3. Don't expect third parties to ever push the hardware except in very rare cases, either. Their interest is most bang for the buck, not selling your console for you.

J10

Banned
Launch games are indicative of the entire gen, DOOOOOOOOOM!

It's the same shit every wave, like people have never been through this before. And if they haven't, they're just kids and lack perspective. These can't be grownups who have been gaming for more than a few years arguing like that.

daedalius

It's the same shit every wave, like people have never been through this before. And if they haven't, they're just kids and lack perspective. These can't be grownups who have been gaming for more than a few years arguing like that.

Well, I've seen every launch since Atari... and there have been some stinkers for every system along the way.

It doesn't seem like there are many adults in those threads.

Gaming side makes me embarrassed that I frequent this site so often. Fucking .gifs of emergency sirens and 'meltdowns'. The OS crashes are a major issue but the vast majority of the caterwauling was about pixel differences.

They're acting like 720/900 is completely unexpected despite the fact that we've known since E3 or before that the PS3 is a more powerful console. The XBO is more expensive because it comes with a Kinect and MS feels that the market will pay that. Early adopters of consoles almost always get screwed in one way or another so the best advice is to purchase neither. I honestly don't see any launch games that justify a full price, day one buy. No Mario 64 or Halo:CE.

The only game I'm remotely interested in within the first half of 2014 is Dark Souls 2, which is current gen. Oculus Rift is my real next gen curiosity.

monome

Flood in a game between Halo 3 and Halo 4 is not canon.

Yet the game is canon.

Why do I have to suffer through this...

#killPalmer

Tawpgun

...it's not canon how, exactly?

Not to mention we don't actually know the context for the co-op mode.

I just want to know why in the SA storyline does the UNSC come into contact with a parasite that defeated the forerunners and almost destroyed all life on earth, not to mention the galaxy.

Havok

Yet the game is canon.

#killPalmer
The whole game is set as a training simulation, so they can kind of do whatever they want there (they would just have to ditch the "historical battle simulation" aspect of the story for that section).

It's also not a very good dual-stick shooter, so you kind of don't miss out on anything by skipping it. I went through the whole thing about a month ago and I just don't think the Halo action verbs translate well at all into a flat-plane context.

monome

...it's not canon how, exactly?

welp...343i has this "everything in the extended Halo universe is now canon".

isn't a simple Flood spore capable of conquering the Universe?

The whole game is set as a training simulation, so they can kind of do whatever they want there.

holly molly.
Palmer + training simulation...
so weak.... so so weak...why did you bother with the Forunner books by Bear only to tear them to pages and use them to wipe your asses 343i...

Tawpgun

The whole game is set as a training simulation, so they can kind of do whatever they want there.

It's also not a very good dual-stick shooter, so you kind of don't miss out on anything by skipping it. I went through the whole thing about a month ago and I just don't think the Halo action verbs translate well at all into a flat-plane context.

*sigh* this is what that rumored Halo Wars 2 thing was supposed to be also. Battle simulations. disregarding the fact that its just a rumor, I think this kind of "story telling" can be a cop out.

On one hand, it doesn''t advance the universe, nor expand upon it.

On the other, it lets us do things and scenarios that wouldn't be possible.

monome

*sigh* this is what that rumored Halo Wars 2 thing was supposed to be also. Battle simulations. disregarding the fact that its just a rumor, I think this kind of "story telling" can be a cop out.

well, I have ideas of fun in the Halo universe that don't involve Palmer, and the reuse of old ennemies.

Yet the game is canon.

#killPalmer

Halo Wars. Unfortunately, Palmer doesn't end up in dead space light years away from UNSC rescue.

Also, breaking my vow of stupidity for a sec for a srs question: is Forward Unto Dawn accepting fan articles? I was thinking of writing up a serious blog post / megapost thing on the whole Halo-Steam rumor thing and the possibility of Halo 2 Anniversary. With pictures and everything!

J10

Banned

I agree that it is lame, but the games still need to be fun before anything else. The story/lore/universe has already gone to shit, so fuck it, one less thing to keep track of.

Top Bottom