• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

The whole game is set as a training simulation, so they can kind of do whatever they want there (they would just have to ditch the "historical battle simulation" aspect of the story for that section).

It's also not a very good dual-stick shooter, so you kind of don't miss out on anything by skipping it. I went through the whole thing about a month ago and I just don't think the Halo action verbs translate well at all into a flat-plane context.

Thats the War Games simulations. SA is just a recreation of historical battles on your future Ipad or wharever its called in the Halo universe for the Recluits.

So in some moment between Halo 3 and Halo 4 the USNC encountered the Flood again.

Fuchsdh

Halo Wars. Unfortunately, Palmer doesn't end up in dead space light years away from UNSC rescue.

Also, breaking my vow of stupidity for a sec for a srs question: is Forward Unto Dawn accepting fan articles? I was thinking of writing up a serious blog post / megapost thing on the whole Halo-Steam rumor thing and the possibility of Halo 2 Anniversary. With pictures and everything!

We accept non-staff articles, but in the past they've all been fiction-oriented.

welp...343i has this "everything in the extended Halo universe is now canon".

isn't a simple Flood spore capable of conquering the Universe?

holly molly.
Palmer + training simulation...
so weak.... so so weak...why did you bother with the Forunner books by Bear only to tear them to pages and use them to wipe your asses 343i...

As much as a whole bunch of Flood didn't wipe us out last time. Scream foul when we've actually learned the story--although from the simulator perspective why wouldn't you be fighting the Flood to prepare?

Havok

Thats the War Games simulations. SA is just a recreation of historical battles on your future Ipad or wharever its called in the Halo universe for the Recluits.

So in some moment between Halo 3 and Halo 4 the USNC encountered the Flood again.
I know that the main game is a recreation of historical battles, but there's nothing preventing them from ditching that aspect for new content, which will almost certainly just be another chapter or set of chapters, just like "oh wait here's what REALLY happened I swear!" Operation Hydra was. The entire point of my post (well, besides saying the game wasn't good) was that the narrative is not being told in real-time, it's a retelling of a story within a frame of simulation, so there's no reason they have to be confined by the contextual restrictions of the base game. I wouldn't be surprised if they Halo Wars it and contrive something ridiculous in the canon to allow these events, but they don't have to in order to get the Flood in.

We accept non-staff articles, but in the past they've all been fiction-oriented.

As much as a whole bunch of Flood didn't wipe us out last time. Scream foul when we've actually learned the story--although from the simulator perspective why wouldn't you be fighting the Flood to prepare?

It could handle retcons / new terminals and the like if that's your cup of tea. I'll post specifics / PM drafts when I have them just to give you an idea if it'd be FUD material.

Wait... FUchsDh.

IT'S BEEN IN YOUR NAME THE WHOLE TIME

I know that the main game is a recreation of historical battles, but there's nothing preventing them from ditching that aspect for new content, which will almost certainly just be another chapter or set of chapters, just like "oh wait here's what REALLY happened I swear!" Operation Hydra was. The entire point of my post (well, besides saying the game wasn't good) was that the narrative is not being told in real-time, it's a retelling of a story within a frame of simulation, so there's no reason they have to be confined by the contextual restrictions of the base game. I wouldn't be surprised if they Halo Wars it and contrive something ridiculous in the canon to allow these events, but they don't have to in order to get the Flood in.

Time to play hydra mission then, I played SA before that update.

Fuchsdh

What was necessarily ridiculous about the Flood in Wars? It doesn't change canon because the Spirit of Fire was stranded in deep space. Sure, it had to be addressed, but ridiculous to me would be "everyone ran into a singularity on the way home and lost their memory" or something.

Havok

What was necessarily ridiculous about the Flood in Wars? It doesn't change canon because the Spirit of Fire was stranded in deep space. Sure, it had to be addressed, but ridiculous to me would be "everyone ran into a singularity on the way home and lost their memory" or something.
I never liked the inclusion of the Flood in that game, personally. I just thought it cheapened their mystery and lessened the impact of Halo 1's reveal by shoving them into a plot in that long period between initial ring firing and the first game. The actual plot movement they developed was done well enough, I just don't like that concept in general.

At any rate, they can kind of do whatever they want - I'm pretty much checked out on the state of Halo fiction given my distaste for how it's developed recently.

I never liked the inclusion of the Flood in that game, personally. I just thought it cheapened their mystery and lessened the impact of Halo 1's reveal by shoving them into a plot in that long period between initial ring firing and the first game. The actual plot movement they developed was done well enough, I just don't like that concept in general.

At any rate, they can kind of do whatever they want - I'm pretty much checked out on the state of Halo fiction given my distaste for how it's developed recently.

Yeah, theoretically infinitely dangerous space zombie spore just doesn't seem as threatening the fourth go around. I was kind of pleased it wasn't in 4 in that regard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
shawn-michaelstycvn.gif

rip heckfu

Heckfu Banned? For calling out someone shitting on the Xbone?

For saying someone should get a eye doctor or something. Not even really sure what rule he broke honestly its one of the shittiest unjust bans I've seen in all my years here. GAF mods need to quit being such babbies IMO.

#HGS

For saying someone should get a eye doctor or something. Not even really sure what rule he broke honestly its one of the shittiest unjust bans I've seen in all my years here. GAF mods need to quit being such babbies IMO.

#HGS

I registered an account and didn't get my confimation email. #knowwhenyou'renotwelcome.

GAF mods are fickle lately. Don't see why he got banned. The Xbone version of BF4 does actually look better in some of those shots.

Nebula

I find it funny that people are getting so into graphic wars when it comes to consoles. You don't buy a console based solely on the graphic power it has. That's what a PC is for.

JEEEEZ

BigShow36

I find it funny that people are getting so into graphic wars when it comes to consoles. You don't buy a console based solely on the graphic power it has. That's what a PC is for.

JEEEEZ

Seriously. Also, wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the Xbox360? We all saw how that turned out for Sony.

JEEEEZ

This is my stance. If I wanted bleeding edge graphics I'd be building a gaming rig. I want the social experience I had with the Xbox and the 360 to continue hench why I'm getting an Xbone. God willing Halo 5 is great and we can all stay up till stupid o'clock playing at 60 fps on those amazing dedi's.

I've never had that type of experience on playstation and without PS+ my PS3 would have largely sat unused (it still has to an extent) I'm interested in Killzone and The Order 1886. I can wait for that.

Right now I'm playing Arkham Origins at 1080p 60fps with settings on pc with a 360 controller on old ass hardware from 2006.

This is why I'm being really cautious with gaming side. :p Hope it's not perma.

Anyways, so PS4 games at launch will be Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target.

Hope Xbox One games will be available for purchase early, I'll cancel my game purchases from GameStop and go buy Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3, and then get either Ryse or CoD Ghost Free.

Then I'll buy Battlefield 4 Digitally. Hmm... actually I'm not sure what game I'll buy digitally with the close to $60 in my Microsoft account. I need to hurry up and decide what game I know I'll never sell. To be honest, the only game at launch I know I'll want forever is Forza 5, but I want that a physical copy of it. :/

EDIT: It runs from runs 11/10-11/16.

nillapuddin

Mobile at work gaf checking in.
So I can download spartan assault on up to 81 windows 8 PCs, but I will have to rebuy on X1?

Plz no, its tied to my MS account, don't do this.

But I knew it would get ported with co-op, I'm down. After that update + controller + extra missions its a really fun game. Hopefully more free missions.

Mobile at work gaf checking in.
So I can download spartan assault on up to 81 windows 8 PCs, but I will have to rebuy on X1?

Plz no, its tied to my MS account, don't do this.

But I knew it would get ported with co-op, I'm down. After that update + controller + extra missions its a really fun game. Hopefully more free missions.

Microsoft is seriously lacking when it comes to Cross Buy, every Windows Phone Xbox Game I've bought on my 1020, I have to rebuy to play on my Windows 8 PC. It's awful.

If Target does the same for Xbox One games I'll probably get Forza, Dead Rising, and Ryse. I'm burnt out with generic FPS games from last gen so I'll pass on BF4 and CoD.

Really wish Xbox One had a launch title that was a platformer like knack (rip banjo ;_;)

Nebula

I think the GAME near where I work is doing a deal where you trade in your current gen title for £40 off of the price of the same title but on the corresponding next gen console (so if you bought it for 360, you can trade your 360 title in for £40 off of the Xbone version)

If Target does the same for Xbox One games I'll probably get Forza, Dead Rising, and Ryse. I'm burnt out with generic FPS games from last gen so I'll pass on BF4 and CoD.

Really wish Xbox One had a launch title that was a platformer like knack (rip banjo ;_;)

I believe Microsoft will allow Rare to make a new Banjo-Kazooie game. The goodwill they'd receive from gamers, and the hype it would create (RETURN OF THE CLASSICS, BEST PLATFORMING GAME GETTING A SEQUEL, MAYBE CONKER WILL GET A SEQUEL, etc) would be enormous. Microsoft would be dumb to not let Rare make one.

I'm sure Rare will make a non-kinect game after Rivals. Hopefully. Maybe.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty burnt out on FPSs, too. I'm gonna go in on that Target deal and get BF4, Knack, and then either COD or KZ, but I could easily see myself selling Knack and KZ/COD and just keeping BF4. I want to have more than one game with my PS4, but I'm not gonna keep a game if it's not fun.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This is why I'm being really cautious with gaming side. :p Hope it's not perma.

Anyways, so PS4 games at launch will be Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target.

Hope Xbox One games will be available for purchase early, I'll cancel my game purchases from GameStop and go buy Forza Motorsport 5, Dead Rising 3, and then get either Ryse or CoD Ghost Free.

Then I'll buy Battlefield 4 Digitally. Hmm... actually I'm not sure what game I'll buy digitally with the close to $60 in my Microsoft account. I need to hurry up and decide what game I know I'll never sell. To be honest, the only game at launch I know I'll want forever is Forza 5, but I want that a physical copy of it. :/

EDIT: It runs from runs 11/10-11/16.

BOMBA

Buy the 2 exclusive titles available at launch, get #DriveClub Watch_Dogs Need For Speed Rivals Assassin's Creed 3 free!

The amount of delays suck. I'm still pretty upset that Kinect Sports Rival Was delayed. :( Although on the plus side, the most interesting part of Rivals is free at launch now to apologize.
2532623-5658883528-KSRwa.gif

Seriously it's beautiful. One of the few things in Next Gen that really scream "Next gen!" to me. So pretty.

IHaveIce

Banned
The Heckfu ban really riles me up. I saw worse stuff the last months all the time on GAF, surely it went in the direction attacking the Xbox One, but now it is a different thing and he gets banned for 3 weeks?

Unacceptable

Tashi

Buy the 2 exclusive titles available at launch, get #DriveClub Watch_Dogs Need For Speed Rivals Assassin's Creed 3 free!

The amount of delays suck. I'm still pretty upset that Kinect Sports Rival Was delayed. :( Although on the plus side, the most interesting part of Rivals is free at launch now to apologize.

Seriously it's beautiful. One of the few things in Next Gen that really scream "Next gen!" to me. So pretty.

WTF is this? Getting some serious WaveRace 64 vibes

WTF is this? Getting some serious WaveRace 64 vibes

Wave Racing, one of the 6 sports in Kinect Sports Rivals. Since Kinect Sports Rivals was delayed till March of 2013, Microsoft is going to release Wave Race as a stand alone free game at launch, for users to play and it'll have monthly unlocks that'll carry over to Rivals when it launches. Fucking so happy, since Wave Racing is the best part of the game. Also, game can be played with a controller, doesn't need Kinect. So even better. So good.

Here's gameplay if you want to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKLAukSzX0

TheOddOne

The Heckfu ban really riles me up. I saw worse stuff the last months all the time on GAF, surely it went in the direction attacking the Xbox One, but now it is a different thing and he gets banned for 3 weeks?

Unacceptable
I read this all in Lemon Grab's voice.

tumblr_luogxjJZ5Z1qew5ie.gif

Tashi

Wave Racing, one of the 6 sports in Kinect Sports Rivals. Since Kinect Sports Rivals was delayed till March of 2013, Microsoft is going to release Wave Race as a stand alone free game at launch, for users to play and it'll have monthly unlocks that'll carry over to Rivals when it launches. Fucking so happy, since Wave Racing is the best part of the game. Also, game can be played with a controller, doesn't need Kinect. So even better. So good.

Here's gameplay if you want to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKLAukSzX0

Wow, fucking hype.

This is what it reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmNYVlRul6k

Wave Race 64 is one of my favorite games man.

Fuchsdh

Microsoft is seriously lacking when it comes to Cross Buy, every Windows Phone Xbox Game I've bought on my 1020, I have to rebuy to play on my Windows 8 PC. It's awful.

Well it's got a greatly expanded featurelist than the old version of the game. Would be nice to see some sort of discount for people who already bought the W8 version though.

Nebula

Very possible that MS saw how well recieved TitanFall is and stepped up on the exclusivity front. I would if I had pockets that deep.

DeadNames

Banned
As time draws nearer, I am more tempted to get a next gen console. Was leaning towards PS4, but now that Titanfall is exclusive... I don't know :( I could get it on PC.

guess i'll be adding that to my download list on day one.

As time draws nearer, I am more tempted to get a next gen console. Was leaning towards PS4, but now that Titanfall is exclusive... I don't know :( I could get it on PC.
How's that 3DS going for you? :p Should have kept your Pre-Order, even when it got really bad I kept both my Pre-Orders, I'll decide fully if I want to cancel a week before release, doesn't seem like I'll cancel either though.

Microsoft made the right choice. Titan Fall has the potential to be the "next big" shooter. It's a killer app already. The hype and love for it is tremendous. They should do all they can to make the entire IP Xbox Exclusive. Buy out EA's contract with Respawn and publish Titan Fall themselves. This is all assuming, of course, that Respawn wants this.

Top Bottom