• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Wave Racing, one of the 6 sports in Kinect Sports Rivals. Since Kinect Sports Rivals was delayed till March of 2013, Microsoft is going to release Wave Race as a stand alone free game at launch, for users to play and it'll have monthly unlocks that'll carry over to Rivals when it launches. Fucking so happy, since Wave Racing is the best part of the game. Also, game can be played with a controller, doesn't need Kinect. So even better. So good.

Here's gameplay if you want to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKLAukSzX0

I love that they're doing this. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of this going forward.

Wow, fucking hype.

This is what it reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmNYVlRul6k

Wave Race 64 is one of my favorite games man.

Wave Race Wii U, HD, online multiplayer with new features. Won't happen though because Nintendo.

I don't know who's worse at handling their exclusive franchises: Nintendo or Microsoft.

Madness

"Why's he banned Dad?"

"Because we had to ban him."

"He didn't do anything wrong."

"Because he's the hero GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

RIP Heckfu.

All joking aside, in my short time here, I've seen so many unjust bans. Often times you get banned because the mods are in a bad mood themselves.

TheOddOne

EA CFO Confirmed Titanfall is exclusive for its entire life to PC, 360 and X1. SonyGAF already looking for the loopholes.
Fun thing to note: a bunch of people who worked at the EA partners program now work for Microsoft. Titanfall was one of the projects that was picked up by EA partners. Overlap? WHO KNOWS!?!?

Obscured

I'm glad that part of sports rivals is coming at launch. I'm also hoping project spark will fill that platformer itch (I think it is slated for launch). I always come back to the FPS, but looking forward to some of these other things coming out.

Unfortunate to hear about Heckfu's ban. I feel like I've seen a few lately that seem very knee-jerky.

I've stayed out of those threads because it doesn't seem like much discussion is actually going on. It is interesting to see the news, but my biggest takeaway is that I think things are going to be okay. While there are certainly differences I can't see how most people won't be pretty happy with whatever direction they choose. I fully expect some bumps the first few weeks, but strangely that has made me more excited.

I really want to more info on the next Halo. With the launch window we kind of have an embarrassment of riches in regards to info, but I'm hungry for what's next.

Madness

Well Mass Effect 1 was a Microsoft published title. Everyone said there'd be no way it'd come, BioWare said the same. But ps3 users finally got to play it as part of the mass effect trilogy.

So you can't ever really say 'never' unless it's a first party game.

Just means I'm getting TitanFall for Xbox 360 and will wait for the Halo 5 bundle to get Xbox One.

That's what has been happening to the Halo franchise since 2007; the gaming industry advances but Halo doesn't give us shit.

• We have no new features.
  • We have less customization options.
  • We still have the same crappy online problems with coop modes.
  • Matchmaking has not only not advanced, but it's gone backwards by removing those measly 4 filters we used to have (Good Connection, Language, etc.)
  • The list goes on.. and boy, does it go on.
And yet, we keep on supporting. We keep on having hope. We keep on being disappointed and allow ourselves to be ripped off. When does it end for a diehard Halo fan?

#bringbackheckfu
#bringbackkyle
#hiretashi
#givejuiceyinternship

LOL idk why I found that so funny..

done
done
done
done

KNOCK KNOCK!
orznge you glad I didn't say bznana..

I can finally put that shit behind me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Titanfall being exclusive makes me even more likely to get an Xbox One when Halo 5 comes out. I mean, assuming both games are good.

Tawpgun downnnnn. RIP in peace those who were lost in the great console wars of 2013.

So you talk shit about SonyGAF and ban, They talk shit about XboxGAF and that's fine? The general feel over on Gaming side is that if you aint shitting on the Xbone 180 24/7 and dare to call people out on their bias and/or hypocrisy you are an astroturffer/plant etc.

So you talk shit about SonyGAF and ban, They talk shit about XboxGAF and that's fine? The general feel over on Gaming side is that if you aint shitting on the Xbone 180 24/7 and dare to call people out on their bias and/or hypocrisy you are an astroturffer/plant etc.

I knew TawpGun was dead when I saw the words "HiveMind" in his post. Only took like 2 minutes for it to happen. :( I hope it's not permanent. Using terms like "Hive Mind" and generalizing GAF is against the rules, and clearly listed in the ToU, but I don't think it's worth a perma ban.

So many users have gotten banned in that thread, it's scary. You really have to read your post multiple times and try to keep your cool with everything. One thing I hope for is that users who aren't interested in the Xbox One hopefully don't start trashing Titan Fall now that it's confirmed to be a permanent exclusive. In the past, there was lot of praise followed with "I can't wait to play it in a year" from a few users in Titan Fall related threads. Hope people can still appreciate a good game for being a good game, even if they'll never get to play it on the system of their preference.

EDIT: This should be an interesting thread, a compare and contrast thread on the XBox One and PS4. I hope it manages to remain rather civil, I'll have fun posting there with my thoughts and opinions on both systems.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Did Heckfu and Tawpgun get banned in the Titanfall thread? There's so many awful console war threads lately that I can't keep track.

So PS4 dudes can but you cant ?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gaming Side is a hellhole for anyone but rabid Sony supporters around console launches.
Naw, this is a new thing. The PS3 got plenty of shit here back in 2006, especially after the $599 price tag was announced. And the Vita has been a running joke on the forum for ages. NeoGAF has obviously always had an enclave of zealous Sony fans (remember the Uncharted 3 review thread?), but it wasn't until Microsoft made an ass of themselves over and over and over with the Xbox One that the forum as a whole became so fervently one sided. And even that has died off a bit since the XB1 DRM reversal, etc.

Personally, I'm cool with a clear majority favoring one console over the others, but it's how they talk about it that makes Gaming Side so unbearable lately. I seriously can't wait for two years from now when all this shit will be a distant memory and we can just be excited about video games again.

GECK

Yeah, Titanfall on PC, Destiny on 360 (for dat controller) and maybe Halo bundled Xbone in the future assuming 343 doesn't go full CODtard with it.

I'll probably end up buying both consoles but definitely after price drops.

It smells like a Nintendo forum in here.

Seriously. Also, wasn't the PS3 more powerful than the Xbox360? We all saw how that turned out for Sony.
I can never be that subtle. It's not in my nature.

I think SA is a fun DA shooter, and I love the Halo aesthetic in it. Then again, I still haven't finished it. But I like the way the game feels. I think most of HaloGAF will like it too.

Destiny on 360 (for dat controller).
Really? How can you watch something like the Moon trailer and still want to play on current gen?

FyreWulff

I'm getting Titanfall and Destiny on 360 for the same reason: so I have actual people to play against and with.

Dem small userbases on the PS4 and Bone

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I might end up getting Titanfall on 360, too. I really want to play it! But I don't want to have to pay for XBL on top of PSN, and I'll probably want to put my 360 in the closet by then, anyways... So maybe not. I guess I'll wait and see how hyped I am, and how the 360 version turns out. It'll be nice to revisit Halo multiplayer again, too.

Madness

I'm getting Titanfall and Destiny on 360 for the same reason: so I have actual people to play against and with.

Do you think the fact Destiny had been a 360 developed game for so long, might mean that it will also probably be very polished and play without a hitch?

They've been working on it since at least 09, well before any next gen devkits or anything no?

HTupolev

2532623-5658883528-KSRwa.gif

Seriously it's beautiful. One of the few things in Next Gen that really scream "Next gen!" to me.
"Next gen"? More like last-gen. It looks like something from late 2001.

However, I mean that in a good way.

Has it been confirmed either way for cross generation same platform play? e.g. destiny sharing player pools between 360 & X1.

I know they're not allowing PS3/4 to mix players with 360/X1 but what about on the same platform? I haven't seen that explicitly stated.

Omni

Not coming out until fall 2014, no? Obviously the userbase will be smaller than those of the 360/PS3, but I would imagine by then it will be substantial?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Not coming out until fall 2014, no? Obviously the userbase will be smaller than those of the 360/PS3, but I would imagine by then it will be substantial?
Titanfall is coming out in March 2014. Just a few months away. And Destiny is coming out Spring 2014.

Yeah definitely enough to find quality matches. Even if the Xbox One only sells 500,000 units, 99% of them will buy Titanfall.

Hasn't been confirmed and from everything that's been said I don't think it will happen.

I hope that player data that's hosted on BNET can be taken to any platform.

Yes one would imagine developers/platforms would be promoting such a feature if it was about to drop on us.

Given the login system on B.net already handling multiple platform logins I think that's a very likely scenario.

nillapuddin

Microsoft is seriously lacking when it comes to Cross Buy, every Windows Phone Xbox Game I've bought on my 1020, I have to rebuy to play on my Windows 8 PC. It's awful.

ffs. MS is in a unique position to offer games on 4 different exclusive platforms* (Desktop, Tablets, Phones, Consoles), they need to support a single MS account purchase.

*the exact reason they are charging multiple times

GECK

Really? How can you watch something like the Moon trailer and still want to play on current gen?

Well, I plan on playing the Destiny beta on the 360 to see how the game feels/looks. I can always cancel the pre-order/double dip down the line. But as fyrewulf mentioned, the playerbase will definitely be more active on the 360 in year number one.

I was burned pretty hard last gen. Launch 360 RROD 5 times and PS3 died a month after warranty expired.

FyreWulff

Do you think the fact Destiny had been a 360 developed game for so long, might mean that it will also probably be very polished and play without a hitch?

They've been working on it since at least 09, well before any next gen devkits or anything no?

Yeah, Bungie's experience on 360 also plays a part. I really wish they'd cut the BS and show some footage / shots of the 360 version, by the way.

Has it been confirmed either way for cross generation same platform play? e.g. destiny sharing player pools between 360 & X1.

No cross gen play. Destiny's userbases on PS3, PS4, 360, and One are all going to be separate. I still don't know how Bungie is going to handle that. Sidenote and fun fact: the PS3 version of Destiny is going to be the only version that doesn't require you to pay to play it online.

The population of even successful games will always operate as a percentage of the install base. At that time PS3 and 360 will be at 80 million+ on their own. PS4/Bone will be at 4 million at best. The sheer saturation works out in the 360 and PS3's favor. Even Halo doesn't sell to more than about 15% of the Xbox install base. Call of Duty isn't much higher either.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd honestly consider skipping the PS4 and getting the XB1 next spring if it were $399. Titanfall is that persuasive to me, not to mention the sliver of a chance Halo 5 has of being exciting.

Fuchsdh

There's a gaming side?

AV5C3Dr.png

I'd honestly consider skipping the PS4 and getting the XB1 next spring if it were $399. Titanfall is that persuasive to me, not to mention the sliver of a chance Halo 5 has of being exciting.

I dunno if either of the consoles will drop $100 by next year. Something like $30-50, maybe. I also doubt we'll see a Kinectless SKU for at least that long--I don't even think the Xbox cratering sales for the first year would necessarily make them. At some point though it seems like you would want to offer one without it, since that's more motivation for people with old models to upgrade their box, especially if you've already got a perfectly functional Kinect.

Probably just going to wait for Halo bundle and keep rockin' this generation anyhow.

Fuchsdh

Everyone is talking about a Kinectless XB1 but what if it becomes the Killer App?

I personally hope it does, but aside from KSR I'm not sure Microsoft has done enough. They're including it in every box, but that's only half the equation to success if they don't give it good software.

The population of even successful games will always operate as a percentage of the install base. At that time PS3 and 360 will be at 80 million+ on their own. PS4/Bone will be at 4 million at best. The sheer saturation works out in the 360 and PS3's favor. Even Halo doesn't sell to more than about 15% of the Xbox install base. Call of Duty isn't much higher either.

What do we know about Titanfall that'll benefit it from having 10 million players over 2 million players? I don't see it being of any significance to the individual player whether 80 million people are online or 5 million people in a game that probably won't have a RIP-Halo-esque ranking system. The game looks fun, but from what we've seen it doesn't look like it'll be a candidate for pro gaming circuits. It will have a healthy population on any platform IMO.

In reality, we're all just using Titanfall until Halo 5 saves the franchise anyway.

I personally hope it does, but aside from KSR I'm not sure Microsoft has done enough. They're including it in every box, but that's only half the equation to success if they don't give it good software.

They need to start releasing smaller Kinect apps for a few bucks. More of those lab creations or party games for dirt-cheap like mobile apps.

Pop

Everyone is talking about a Kinectless XB1 but what if it becomes the Killer App?

By the time anything useful comes out for it, Titanfall will drop and everyone will forget about Kinect. Then later that year Kinect-less X1 comes out just in time for H5. Perfect time to drop the price, so everyone picks up H5 with a X1.

Madness

Well, I plan on playing the Destiny beta on the 360 to see how the game feels/looks. I can always cancel the pre-order/double dip down the line. But as fyrewulf mentioned, the playerbase will definitely be more active on the 360 in year number one.

I was burned pretty hard last gen. Launch 360 RROD 5 times and PS3 died a month after warranty expired.

I know that feeling. My launch 360 was perfect until like 08 when it got RRoD for the first time, and after three consecutive repairs, worked well enough that the warranty ran out and when it went bad again, had no choice but to get an Elite. And as soon as I bought an Elite, they came out with the Slim. Now I use a 4gb slim with an official 320 gig hdd in it.

As for price drops, I remember the year after 360 launched, the price was $100 less than the year before to take advantage of Gears of War and Christmas 2006.

Any sale though would probably be at the discretion of the store as opposed to an official price drop. Though it's not going to be as quick as March.

Top Bottom