• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

nillapuddin

Everyone is talking about a Kinectless XB1 but what if it becomes the Killer App?

I am so looking forward to this

The fact is, living with my gf, the xbox is used more for entertainment purposes than gaming, and one of us being able to say "xbox on" and it log us in individually, show our pins in an instant, switch between games/services. It sounds terrific.

If I was living solo and was poop sockin' it everynight, I could understand not wanting Kinect, but realistically, moving forward, its a piece of technology I very much want in my house.

I hope that player data that's hosted on BNET can be taken to any platform.
It's going to happen. No hope necessary.

I too hope that the Kinect will magically become awesome, because I have one that is pretty dusty, and it didn't impress the wife, either. It's sitting next to her 360 but she leaves it unplugged. Maybe one day it will come to life and bestow joy on our family again.

Everyone is talking about a Kinectless XB1 but what if it becomes the Killer App?
#TashiHired?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's going to happen. No hope necessary.

I too hope that the Kinect will magically become awesome, because I have one that is pretty dusty, and it didn't impress the wife, either. It's sitting next to her 360 but she leaves it unplugged. Maybe one day it will come to life and bestow joy on our family again.

#TashiHired?

It's just a question...

The fact is, living with my gf, the xbox is used more for entertainment purposes than gaming, and one of us being able to say "xbox on" and it log us in individually, show our pins in an instant, switch between games/services. It sounds terrific.

If I was living solo and was poop sockin' it everynight, I could understand not wanting Kinect, but realistically, moving forward, its a piece of technology I very much want in my house.

...things like this are why I ask.

FyreWulff

What do we know about Titanfall that'll benefit it from having 10 million players over 2 million players? I don't see it being of any significance to the individual player whether 80 million people are online or 5 million people in a game that probably won't have a RIP-Halo-esque ranking system. The game looks fun, but from what we've seen it doesn't look like it'll be a candidate for pro gaming circuits. It will have a healthy population on any platform IMO.

As low population Halo 3 and Reach have shown, when you have a lower population, you have less robustness in available players at each skill level, longer matchup times, and low game turnover.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
mad
EbsQspI.png
to the murdered
jrOxus0.gif

As low population Halo 3 and Reach have shown, when you have a lower population, you have less robustness in available players at each skill level, longer matchup times, and low game turnover.

Talking about those games years after they've been released? Also, I don't think we'll see a vast skill gap with this game, at least from the footage we've seen.

How serious will people take Titanfall is the question. Let's low-ball it and say 500,000 players, all on dedicated servers with much better tech than Halo 3 and Reach. Not to mention, this is also as a brand new franchise releasing in a time period where players are waiting for a game to dethrone CoD. Microsoft is clearly throwing a ton of money at it and the main focus is the Xbox One version, so I'd think the game would only grow over time. 500,000 then turns to 1 million. 1 million turns to millions.

I think if you get it on the Xbox One you'll be fine. Also, don't dismiss my comment about Halo 5 saving the franchise! Titanfall is merely an appetizer ;]

Guess my new avatar is semi-appropriate today...

It actually says banner not banned

I'm scared now. :(

Anyways, onto what I actually wanted to post. I just realized something, With Titan Fall being Xbox One exclusive, I wonder if Microsoft is going to care if Halo 5 ruins Titan Fall's playerbase or if Titan Fall outshines Halo. Microsoft needs to start pushing Halo 5 harder than they pushed Titan Fall. Titan Fall won't be Xbox Exclusive forever, as a franchise. Pushing Titan Fall so hard will just help Sony when Titan Fall 2 releases on PS4. They need to make Titan Fall look like the Silver Trophy while Halo is the Gold Trophy. First Place. Best shooter on consoles.

Microsoft needs to start pushing Halo harder, since E3, we haven't really heard much from Microsoft about Halo 5. The hype train needs to start.

Fuchsdh

They need to start releasing smaller Kinect apps for a few bucks. More of those lab creations or party games for dirt-cheap like mobile apps.

Hadn't thought about that, but it seems like an option.

One thing I do think we hardcore gamers discount is that Kinect sold like gangbusters, and from my limited anecdotal evidence, these aren't the people who really felt the deficiencies of the first iteration of the hardware (Dance Central works for what the game requires.

That doesn't solve the issues with getting hardcore gamers to disregard their general reluctance to try new things and the technical limitations (which at least for a wide swath of uses aren't an issue now), but it at least provides a foundation.

I'm actually really curious to see about using some Kinect sensors for some cheap mocap. All the Halo 4 terminal animation was done using the 360 Kinect.

Guess my new avatar is semi-appropriate today...

It actually says banner not banned

I'm scared now. :(

Anyways, onto what I actually wanted to post. I just realized something, With Titan Fall being Xbox One exclusive, I wonder if Microsoft is going to care if Halo 5 ruins Titan Fall's playerbase or if Titan Fall outshines Halo. Microsoft needs to start pushing Halo 5 harder than they pushed Titan Fall. Titan Fall won't be Xbox Exclusive forever, as a franchise. Pushing Titan Fall so hard will just help Sony when Titan Fall 2 releases on PS4. They need to make Titan Fall look like the Silver Trophy while Halo is the Gold Trophy. First Place. Best shooter on consoles.

Microsoft needs to start pushing Halo harder, since E3, we haven't really heard much from Microsoft about Halo 5. The hype train needs to start.

It all comes down to what kind of gameplay that people want. Most people don't care between arcade or arena shooter styles, but most people can recognize the differences between the two, and have a preference.

Titanfall will go after the people who want a a Sci-Fi arcade experience, and Halo 5 (hopefully) will go after the people who want a Sci-Fi arena experience.

Microsoft care more (hopefully) if Halo fails, because it's the "Killer App" of Xbox. Titanfall won't fail, but Microsoft won't care as much, because, though it's an exclusive, it's still a 3rd party title, so it's not really on them if the title fails, even though it won't

Hadn't thought about that, but it seems like an option.

One thing I do think we hardcore gamers discount is that Kinect sold like gangbusters, and from my limited anecdotal evidence, these aren't the people who really felt the deficiencies of the first iteration of the hardware (Dance Central works for what the game requires.

That doesn't solve the issues with getting hardcore gamers to disregard their general reluctance to try new things and the technical limitations (which at least for a wide swath of uses aren't an issue now), but it at least provides a foundation.

I'm actually really curious to see about using some Kinect sensors for some cheap mocap. All the Halo 4 terminal animation was done using the 360 Kinect.

Just busted out the Kinect 1 on 360 this past weekend for my 4 year old son, tried the controller with him and games like Rayman or Duck Tales but they're a little difficult given his hand size and gaming coordination without a touch screen. Throw on the Kinect 1 with Sports and some demos then we had fun for a couple of hours. I'm still surprised how much this form of gaming gets you moving and a bit of a sustained heart rate.

Aside from the navigation and voice snap control etc (for me) the Kinect 2 has me interested games wise (for my kids mostly). I'll check out the fitness one personally and with all the celeb/methods of training in there I think that really looks appealing for 20 mins a day or so to stay in some basic cardio/dexterity shape. Yoga sucks.

Project Spark is some great new innovation that I welcome and I'd like to see what a development unlock could do with retail X1/K2 as well. Mocap and voice input is some cool shit alright. Could be a fun tech toy to play with.

For my son I still prefer an original NES and controller as the games and controls suit my young son perfectly. He's great a Mario Bros or Super MB. Can't wait for the latency input, player recognition and room space improvements of K2 though, I think it will have a big impact.

Does lean and stuff interest me in Halo? Eh, if it works sitting down then maybe. The CEA library voice command was pretty cool but I don't think it really works for core gameplay...waiting on that killer core Kinect game for the older audience.

For what it's worth, lots of people (myself included) have said possibly the limiting factor of Kinect is that major multiplatforms will likely not use it simply because they typically want the same experience on each platform.

What will in all likelihood be the three biggest multiplats at launch, BF4, COD Ghosts, and AC IV all use Kinect on the X1. COD and AC haven't really talked about their implementation and admit it's nothing major, but the Kinect features are pretty nice in BF4 and are definitely features I will take advantage of. I didn't really expect this, especially from third-party games at launch.

The second Kinect is pretty cool tech, but of course how devs will implement it and what new and interesting ways the tech will be used will define how successful it ends up being in hardcore games.

Who's next?

YOU.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm hoping devs come up with some really cool uses for the kinect (which i'm sure is why MS forced it in every box - no risk of low hw adoption). I'm liking what BF4 is doing. Subtleties like that make a difference.

Also for the XB1 dudes that heard of the B2G1 deal on PS4 games at Target: it's apparently for all in stock games. So XB1 may be included, depending on when they get shipments

Not happening. Where are all the great new ideas, where are the titles. This being a gen 2 device and we STILL are seeing the same, fitness, dance, kinect sports. If they dont find something new to do with Kinect they are done.

Halo 5 Xbone will not have a Kinect.

BTW, what do we think Xbone's will be going for on Ebay since it looks like you wont be able to get one for a while. I would think the Titanfall news boosts prices for scalpers.

I'd say $650 easy.

Obscured

Same thing for me. I'm getting both and actually trying to increase my PC gaming intake, but the entertainment aspect and the potential seamless experience for my household (although, I'm anticipating launch not being great at first) is going to make the XB1 the main living room machine. Actually when I look at my friends list I typically see about 30-50% of the list using youtube, hulu, or netflix so the entertainment focus actually makes total sense to me. Though I would like both companies to get their act together, it's going to be a very interesting couple weeks.

Wow, $1500 is really going hard. Not sure if anyone will actually be willing to pay that price. Most I'd try for is $800. Launch is going to be so crazy for both systems. I planned to walk home (It's a 15 minute walk from my house to the mall where Gamestop is) from the Midnight launch of the Xbox One, but I'm actually really scared of getting robbed so I'm trying to find a ride now. It's so insane how much excitement both of these systems have.

The most I would pay is 720.
Pesos?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I planned to walk home (It's a 15 minute walk from my house to the mall where Gamestop is) from the Midnight launch of the Xbox One, but I'm actually really scared of getting robbed so I'm trying to find a ride now. It's so insane how much excitement both of these systems have.
Yeah, I don't know what your neighborhood is like, but at least get someone to go with you.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Not happening. Where are all the great new ideas, where are the titles. This being a gen 2 device and we STILL are seeing the same, fitness, dance, kinect sports. If they dont find something new to do with Kinect they are done.

Well I think the UI being completely Kinect enabled is pretty damn cool. There some 3rd party titles that have Kinect support. That Xbox Fitness thing looks pretty damn legit. Not sure when that's releasing though. And then there's Indie potential as well with Kinect. Let it marinate.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kinect is like the Wii Remote in that it has limited applications, and many of the things it is used for could be done just as easily if not more easily using traditional control inputs. Yeah, facial recognition is a cool gimmick, but signing out of a profile and into another one takes fifteen seconds at most on the 360, and will presumably be even faster on the XB1. Some of the gameplay stuff is cool, but so much of it is mere novelty, with little substance. Much of it isn't integral, nor is it impossible with a controller.

So, yeah, the Kinect seems pretty pointless to me. I think it's cool to have a diversity of input devices, but I see it being used about as often and creatively as the Nintendo DS's second touch screen or the Wii U gamepad -- which isn't much.

Omni

Do you reckon? I can see 343i building a few things around it in Halo 5. Just think of Halo CEA - for all we know they were testing the idea. Voice commands at least (Imagine being on the Halo 5 menu, saying "Xbox, play Capture the Flag" and bam. It puts you in a game of capture the flag.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It takes like five seconds to select a playlist using a controller. Out of all the possible uses of Kinect, UI stuff is what seems most pointless to me.

Some K2 quick ideas or things already detailed:
  • Machinima mocap and voice input.
  • Forge object manipulation (could suck or be great)
  • CEA style library
  • Multiplayer tagging (context sensitive reticle)
  • Campaign squad voice commands (context sensitive reticle)
  • Stop/start recording 30 seconds ago or next 30 seconds etc.
  • Snapchat for Skype while playing
  • Start/stop streaming while playing
  • BF4 head tilt or lean functions
  • Lip synching or facial capture
  • Player face or body scanning for in game character customisation/posing
  • Record a show from a pop up reminder while gaming uninterrupted
  • Automatic join to splitscreen when a second or third or fourth player is recognised by K2 (some games would be controller based but still this detection will work)
  • If combined with a projector style add-on augmented reality stuff e.g. microsoft demo videos floating around
  • Scrub game replays with analogue style speed/acceleration
  • Things developers or players haven't thought of yet

Compiled a list of things that I think would make a unique game/good experience:
-Things that developers/people haven't thought of yet.
Stop answering with logic!

Flood in Spartan Assault? Well, how the story had been told in Spartan Assault was awful. So I do not expect any meaningful. Anyway, we can expect the Flood to return in the next Halo game. Give me the encounter with Mendicant Bias. Oh man! Just imagine that! And now I got reminded how good the original cutscene idea of the Librarian cutscene had been compared to that what we got.

Stop answering with logic!

Flood in Spartan Assault? Well, how the story had been told in Spartan Assault was awful. So I do not expect any meaningful. Anyway, we can expect the Flood to return in the next Halo game. Give me the encounter with Mendicant Bias. Oh man! Just imagine that! And now I got reminded how good the original cutscene idea of the Librarian cutscene had been compared to that what we got.
"Let's replay history in a V.I. Ipad mini game!"
Really? REALLY!? In 2558?!

#EvilAwakensButInsteadIt'sGunnaBeMendicantBiasInGiantFalconZord

"Let's replay history in a V.I. Ipad mini game!"
Really? REALLY!? In 2558?!

#EvilAwakensButInsteadIt'sGunnaBeMendicantBiasInGiantFalconZord
The funny thing is they have real simulators, War Games. lol.

I mean I get they want to put everything into a context, but sometimes it just does not work out.

Compiled a list of things that I think would make a unique game/good experience:
-Things that developers/people haven't thought of yet.

Another zzz
dick
post, out of 16 points that's the one you comment on? Where's any meaningful discussion? Yes it's open ended as there is a lot of tech there and time needed for trials, errors and future development.

Welcome to the ignore list, you won't be missed.

Fuchsdh

I wonder if the problems with Halo 4's story, in comparison with much of the development, is they had too much time to work it over. Comparing the final work with what we've seen if the early script, the final *sounds* better and more polished but the underlying issues weren't correspondingly cleaned up, or in some cases they were aggravated. It's disappointing considering how good the story was in places that it got dragged down by these anchors you would have expected them to see coming, considering the work they did in the novels.

Nebula

GPe1RoN.gif

Gotta salute all the fallen.

I've been given a different view of next gen thanks to some guys at work
I work now YAY!
and it's weird speaking to people about games and consoles so casually.

Most of them have said they're looking to get both this time round cause they both look and sound great.

Top Bottom