• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Since Reach was a fully-powered UNSC versus a fully-powered Covenant, I have to wonder how a similar game would play out featuring the Forerunners and OG Precursors / Flood during the war.

blamite

I don't want to even think about how shitty it would be to try and kill flood with the scattershot.

That actually sounds like it'd be pretty cool, if you could like knock off limbs and stuff with the little Scattershot rounds. Like if you were fighting a bunch of flood guys you'd shoot at the all next to them and the shots would spread out and hit them from the side and slice them up and stuff.

It'd definitely put the Scattershot to better use than Halo 4 does where it's just another copy of the shotgun that dissolves people.

Ominym

Banned
That actually sounds like it'd be pretty cool, if you could like knock off limbs and stuff with the little Scattershot rounds. Like if you were fighting a bunch of flood guys you'd shoot at the all next to them and the shots would spread out and hit them from the side and slice them up and stuff.

It'd definitely put the Scattershot to better use than Halo 4 does where it's just another copy of the shotgun that dissolves people.

Of course it'd be nice if it worked like that. I'm more so considering the Halo 4 version which is extremely inconsistent and has less ammo than the shotgun.

I'm certainly not opposed to the thought if done right. I'm just weary of 343i's ability given that when tasked with weapon crafting, they only came up with skins.

The Scattershot is a weird weapon.
It clearly takes after Unreal Tournament's flak cannon (<3) but ends up coming off as kind of ineffectual/inconsistent.
It could stand to be a bit meatier going forward.

All Promethean Weapons are garbage and useless.

Supressor is a poor mans SMG
Boltshot is broken
Binary Rifle OP as fuck
Incinerator Canon OP as fuck
Scattershot so inconsistent its useless

They are all just carbon copies of other weapons with less nostalgia tied to them and some quirky effect.

No place at all, At least weapons like the brute shot brought a new element to the game.

Does anyone know if Shishka still works at 343? I remember reading somewhere that he doesn't, but I can't remember.

EDIT: Actually I want to know, how many people from Bungie still work at 343?

The Scattershot is a weird weapon.
It clearly takes after Unreal Tournament's flak cannon (<3) but ends up coming off as kind of ineffectual/inconsistent.
It could stand to be a bit meatier going forward.

Flak Cannon >

All Promethean Weapons are garbage and useless.

Supressor is a poor mans SMG
Boltshot is broken
Binary Rifle OP as fuck
Incinerator Canon OP as fuck
Scattershot so inconsistent its useless

They are all just carbon copies of other weapons with less nostalgia tied to them and some quirky effect.

No place at all, At least weapons like the brute shot brought a new element to the game.

325px-H3ODST-BrutePlasmaRifleLeftSide.png

They should just take the Promethean weapons out of loadouts and put them on the map. Then they could be really strong and difficult to use without worrying too much about balancing them with other loadout weapons. Pulse Grenade could have that EMP effect as a map pickup for example, but certainly not as a loadout weapon.

Nebula

You JUST realized that? :p

-----

I just told people to "get off their high horses" on the gaming side CoD thread.

See you on the other side, gaf.

Godspeed.

And yes, I never looked at a Plasma Rifle outside the game so I didn't really have the angle to see it the way it is in the picture.

So, seems like Snap is working perfectly with games on Xbox One, according to this video from an old build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIr5HUEP0c

Glad to see the insiders were wrong and it's fully functional. Going to be great being able to check your stats in Halo 5 on the fly. Boot up Halo 5, and snap on Waypoint or any other stat tracking site like QuickCSR, and not have to get up and move to your Computer, or stop paying attention to the screen to check your stats.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So, seems like Snap is working perfectly with games on Xbox One, according to this video from an old build.

Glad to see the insiders were wrong and it's fully functional. Going to be great being able to check your stats in Halo 5 on the fly. Boot up Halo 5, and snap on Waypoint or any other stat tracking site like QuickCSR, and not have to get up and move to your Computer, or stop paying attention to the screen to check your stats.

I wouldn't say perfect; it completely ruined the aspect ratio of KI and was a little slow/buggy. Still, it's very interesting to see and I'm glad it's at least functional. It could have some cool uses. Wonder if CBOAT or anyone else will pop up in the thread.

edit: why does that vid have so many dislikes?

Ominym

Banned

Quite frankly, I'd much rather 343i just put the CSR in the game UI. Not force me to open up a web browser to view it.

However, I think this technology is pretty cool. Great for web browsing? Not really. But When I see shots like this?

Xbox_One_Forza_with_Deadmau5_in_Snap.jpg

I'm excited for what the specific apps you can snap to will do. That is where snap should shine.

I wouldn't say perfect; it completely ruined the aspect ratio of KI and was a little slow/buggy. Still, it's very interesting to see and I'm glad it's at least functional. It could have some cool uses. Wonder if CBOAT or anyone else will pop up in the thread.

edit: why does that vid have so many dislikes?

That's what I asked in the topic on Gaming Side, it's gone up like 50+ dislikes since being posted on GAF. It's so terrible. Those guys are trying so hard to build an audience on YouTube, trying to make it. They even made and published an exclusive interview with the Community Manger at Respawn, regarding Titan Fall. They've been trying to become the "next" IGN or gaming news channel for 2 months, and they FINALLY make a video that gives the channel attention, and it's getting shit on with dislikes for no reason other than it's positive Xbox One news?

As a YouTuber myself, I know how shitty that would and does feel. :/ I'm not taking it as far as them, I couldn't imagine how shitty I would feel when I bought my own domain, paid money out of my own pocket to print out shirts advertising my channel/site, paid money to go to GamesCon, and tried my hardest to get interviews with Titan Fall and Ghost's community manager. Do all this, barely get 1,500 views at best. Then travel to an Area One Xbox One event, make a video that finally gets me publicity, and again, get's shitted on. I hope everything goes well for these guys. Hope they make it big one day.

Ozzy, what kind of shit are you trying to pull?

What is it you want me to answer exactly?

Quite frankly, I'd much rather 343i just put the CSR in the game UI. Not force me to open up a web browser to view it.

However, I think this technology is pretty cool. Great for web browsing? Not really. But When I see shots like this?

I'm excited for what the specific apps you can snap to will do. That is where snap should shine.

Agreed on in game rank is a must next time around. However having a Waypoint snap app could be very cool for additional features or YT watching/search typing via smartglass and stuff like that. I'd like to see a TV feed as a snap app/picture in picture with easy overlay e.g. kinect gesture/voice to switch the big/small window or use notifications etc.

There's some real potential there, I'm expecting a not so smooth feature set but as updates and months pass it will become a far better experience IMO.

I like my Kinect and snapping sounds nifty in entertainment scenarios, but both sound like pure bullshit in the context of actually playing a game of friggin' Halo.

I like my Kinect and snapping sounds nifty in entertainment scenarios, but both sound like pure bullshit in the context of actually playing a game of friggin' Halo.

it's not meant to be used in the middle of a game. maybe answering a skype call, but if you're waiting in a lobby, watching tv/browsing gaf/watching youtube would be sweet

danwarb

it's not meant to be used in the middle of a game. maybe answering a skype call, but if you're waiting in a lobby, watching tv/browsing gaf/watching youtube would be sweet
Yeah, quick snapping/flipping beats jumping from one device to another in that circumstance.

Are you, or are you not in my closet?

Kidding, jesus.

Anyway, Shotgun Ricochet is really bad, Legendary Ricochet had some potential, and Quickochet sounded interesting, but the Halo Waypoint Community shat the bed, yet again.

Weird joke, guess I missed it.

A few HaloGAFers and myself included posted here to get the Legendary Ricochet numbers up. Taking a look at the final numbers was it that hard for us to literally get 50 votes to secure the variant we wanted?
We've only ourselves to blame and not the Waypoint community at all

58FsnvD.gif

I'm sure they'll rotate these 3 around in the coming weeks/months anyhow.

nillapuddin

Yeah it's pretty cool, played it twice with a full team the other night. Same as always though imbalanced games due to regular team vs. randoms.

The community maps have so far been well made too.

Any multiplayer mode/map without a full~ team is gunna be a bad time.

I really enjoyed Legendary Ricochet also, but Shotties is a nice break from normal gameplay.

Yeah it's pretty cool, played it twice with a full team the other night. Same as always though imbalanced games due to regular team vs. randoms.

The community maps have so far been well made too.

The only one I played on was Firestone, I believe, but I liked it. Has lots of little nerdy jumps, which is one of the things I love about Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The only one I played on was Firestone, I believed, but I liked it. Has lots of little nerdy jumps, which is one of the things I love about Halo.

Yea that's one of the things that I loved about that map. Running around and jumping on it while juking enemies is too much fun.

The only one I played on was Firestone, I believe, but I liked it. Has lots of little nerdy jumps, which is one of the things I love about Halo.

Love those map movement skills. It's precisely why remakes like Blackout or Pitfall or Battle Canyon lose a few points when compared to their originals. All those little jumps that allowed fast map traversal or unexpected routes. When you combine them with player movement skill or enemy route awareness or timing in an engagement you can turn the tide to your favour.

The original maps were cleaner but the more you played the more of those jumps you found and integrated into your gameplay. Who remembers 2/3 customs where you were just showing/exchanging jumps/routes on maps? What about the trick jump videos? They've dropped off the scene with Reach/4 a fair bit.

The community Forge maps seem to have these nuances in mind more than the developer made ones, I'd like to see developer maps return to these design ideals.

Love those map movement skills. It's precisely why remakes like Blackout or Pitfall or Battle Canyon lose a few points when compared to their originals. All those little jumps that allowed fast map traversal or unexpected routes. When you combine them with player movement skill or timing in an engagement you can turn the tide to your favour.

The original maps were cleaner but the more you played the more of those jumps you found and integrated into your gameplay. Who remembers 2/3 customs where you were just showing/exchanging jumps/routes on maps? What about the trick jump videos? They've dropped off the scene with Reach/4 a fair bit.

The community Forge maps seem to have these nuances in mind more than the developer made ones, I'd like to see developer maps return to these design ideals.

Agreed, the only map in Halo 4 that seems to have pretty good jumps is Haven. I think that having good jumps should be one of the major considerations in making maps.

Top Bottom