• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

At the point I'd rather use my laptop or tablet, which is has better interface and better multitasking capabilities. All this stuff is cool, but I don't see myself using it when there are better suited devices around me at all times.
Wait, having more than one electronic device on at the same time? Whhhhaaaaa..?????

Next thing you'll tell me is that you're able to have more than one thing connected to the webernet simultaneously.

One of the maps in space has really bad spawns. Can't remember what it's called :/. Otherwise, you dun good son.

Pretty sure that one's called "Heckfu" or something...

LvPUW.gif

Late on this, but just imagine the "powerful but crazy fun" you'd have fighting actual Flood with Promethean weapons.

Incineration Cannon could kill a Carrier AND the infection forms with the afterburns. Duuuuuude...

Also, 343 should run a simulation where they send a "platoon" of Halo 4-era Promethean troopers in a path through the Library. It'd be fun to see who would win.

daedalius

Pretty sure that one's called "Heckfu" or something...

LvPUW.gif

Hekau? something like that. Terrible spawns.

Just got BF4 on PC, might actually be something that comes close to maxxing out my system.

I see DOZIZ made the OT, and claims that sniper rifles are fun like BFBC2 again; this makes me happy.

The plains of the wrecked Ark better look this good in H5 Frankie!

untitled_307_by_dennisk4-d6scb0d.gif

Booletin is up

Another community voting poll, so click and vote (don't be lazy like last week)

• Free Guilty Spark emblems for all players who play on 6th NOV.
  • Slayer is getting a rework by Bravo, Quinn & Menke with a change to team CSR, a reset and a highlighting the top slayer teams/players featurette.
  • Very limited time Smashing Punkins playlist, so jump on in the next 24-48 hours to play
  • Insight to creation process for GC
  • Community creations this Halo-ween week are insane, seriously check them out
  • SA wallpapers, one is actually really cool

CyReN

From the sounds of it CoD: Ghosts is like their Halo 4.

Problems so far
  • A lot of cut gametypes
  • Can't turn off dynamic events
  • Insanely fast kill times (think SWAT with CoD)
  • Maps are cluttered, no competitive/arena merit
  • No caster mode

CyReN

yikes.. but not really surprising after the mess that was MW3.. doesn't seem like Infinity Ward has gotten back on their feet yet =\

Best part going on right now is their community manager said they had pros at their studios. she's was referring to more of their casters/youtubers (fFwiz/Benson/Tmartn etc). Someone called her out and checked. She follows 2 pros from the Top 8 teams.

Community manager aren't required to do that, but to straight up lie or be that misinformed is kinda sad. We are lucky with Bsangel at least.

Problems so far
  • A lot of cut gametypes
  • No caster mode

How fast are the kill times? Got any videos to show the kill times?

Best part going on right now is their community manager said they had pros at their studios. she's was referring to more of their casters/youtubers (fFwiz/Benson/Tmartn etc). Someone called her out and checked. She follows 2 pros from the Top 8 teams.

Community manager aren't required to do that, but to straight up lie or be that misinformed is kinda sad. We are lucky with Bsangel at least.
yikes, that is such a strong contrast from David Vonderhaar (who isn't even a community manager, even though he pretty much does that job too!)
very unfortunate that relationship with the competitive side isn't being maintained by infinity ward

You mean Slegde Hammer, the ones just copy paste some assets from COD4 for MW3.
haha yeah.... apparently now sledgehammer is working on their own entry to the series...
lookin' forward to that.

Problems so far
  • A lot of cut gametypes
  • No caster mode

They've also cut 18 player matches from current gen, max is 12 players.

This isn't that surprising in my opinion. IW was completely gutted just a few years ago, there's no way they have the near the level of talent that they did (and judging by the other studios Activision has brought in to help, they never replaced the manpower either).

Can't say I have much interest in what whatever's left of this studio is making, especially with franchises like Battlefield feeling 10 years ahead in tech.

Just to think, if Activision wasn't so terrible, they could have just let Treyarch make Call of Duty, and Infinity Ward make Titan Fall. They could have pretty much owned the FPS market with those 2 games.

malfcn

I don't see a price for Spartan Assault yet. And what are Halo 3 numbers looking like, LiVE update soon?

Halo continues to chug along. When will we see some Halo 5 stuff? E3?

daedalius

Booletin is up

Another community voting poll, so click and vote (don't be lazy like last week)

• Free Guilty Spark emblems for all players who play on 6th NOV.
  • Slayer is getting a rework by Bravo, Quinn & Menke with a change to team CSR, a reset and a highlighting the top slayer teams/players featurette.
  • Very limited time Smashing Punkins playlist, so jump on in the next 24-48 hours to play
  • Insight to creation process for GC
  • Community creations this Halo-ween week are insane, seriously check them out
  • SA wallpapers, one is actually really cool

Apparently I should have drawn a spooky master chief to be featured in the bulletin.

Edit: BOOLETIN!

TheOddOne

Problems so far
  • A lot of cut gametypes
  • No caster mode
Senior Designer for Ghost is
Jesse Snyder

Karl2177

All players who complete a game in War Games or Spartan Ops matchmaking on November 6th, 2013 will earn the Guilty Spark emblem.
Let's hide more stuff behind the Gold paywall. 343... It's impossible to support anything you guys do anymore.

Enfinit

It's a fucking emblem lol

Sure, it's just an emblem. Nothing too important or significant. It's the fact that it's content on a disc that I already paid for that is JUST NOW being released to me.

Am I going to use the emblem? Nah. But knowing that it was sitting there, and 343i forbid me access to it for whatever reason, is mildly frustrating. How much other content is being withheld from us?

But who gives a shit, I haven't touched this game in months.

...is it just me or did that bulletin's pumpkin results not showcase any that displayed things from the Bungie games? It's all Halo 4 logos, Mister Chief and Disney Collarbone 4 Chief.

I'm out of Halo 4. :p Got rid of it during E3. Never felt the need to rebut and probably never will.

Then why are you complaining about not getting it? It'd be one thing if it's armor or weapon skins, but it's FUCKING EMBLEMS. I figure if people are still playing the game, they might as well get something out of it.

I don't understand the community sometimes, you don't play the game because it sucks, but you complain about not getting some 2d image in game THAT YOU PROBABLY WONT EVEN USE.

Question for OddOne: ever since creative director what's-his-name left the dev team last January, have we gotten a new "definitive" lead for 343 since Halo 4 shipped out?

Then why are you complaining about not getting it? It'd be one thing if it's armor or weapon skins, but it's FUCKING EMBLEMS. I figure if people are still playing the game, they might as well get something out of it.

I don't understand the community sometimes, you don't play the game because it sucks, but you complain about not getting some 2d image in game THAT YOU PROBABLY WONT EVEN USE.
Srsly. Bungie locked away a whole armor set for themselves, double standards much? Hell, 343i should have had their own spiritual successor to recon, then at least Tashi would have something cool to show for all his work FUN.

Striker

Putting emblems behind commendations and other shit was a terrible, terrible idea. Some were simply cut but others were locked by "Get x wins in Dominion" or "Get 500 kills with x weapon" shit. But it's just an emblem! I am sure that type of plan will continue for future titles.

Question for OddOne: ever since creative director what's-his-name left the dev team last January, have we gotten a new "definitive" lead for 343 since Halo 4 shipped out?

I'm not the OddOne but Josh Holmes is the creative director and he is still there. Are you talking about Scott Warner or Jesse Snyder? They are the two biggest names I can remember that have left.

Ramirez

Putting emblems behind commendations and other shit was a terrible, terrible idea. Some were simply cut but others were locked by "Get x wins in Dominion" or "Get 500 kills with x weapon" shit. But it's just an emblem! I am sure that type of plan will continue for future titles.

You're arguing with a zoojoo, don't bother.

Karl2177

Here's a fun little story. Do you remember this contest described in this weekly bulletin after Reach was unveiled? Well I submitted that emblem below for it, you might have seen it somewhere before. I didn't win the contest, but it was in the game. For Halo 4, I had to unlock it and that was quite frankly really stupid.

0YB6hvf.gif
HhCzMoT.gif

You're locking out player customization for the sake of making yourself a birthday cake. The sad thing is that I can see this trend of locking out player identity continuing into Halo 5/One.

You're arguing with a zoojoo, don't bother.

I was going to call him out, but I figured I'd let him get one more moronic statement before I did anything.

Srsly. Bungie locked away a whole armor set for themselves, double standards much? Hell, 343i should have had their own spiritual successor to recon, then at least Tashi would have something cool to show for all his work FUN.

Knowing 343's thought processes, they probably didn't want to create another situation that's basically "Give me 1600 MSP, and I'll get you Recon" or whatever they would used. I don't agree with it, if you don't have enough common sense to know if that's a scam, you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

That was 343's master plan to "ensure" that people still played the game. But people figured that the reward was not enough to justify the grind, which I can understand, the only way that I get armor/emblems through commendations, is if I just randomly get the commendation without even realizing it. Unfortunately, people would rather get a lot of little somethings like the sense of satisfaction of ranking up a level after a hard-fought game, than grind for a long time to get a piece of player customization that they won't even use.

Here's a fun little story. Do you remember this contest described in this weekly bulletin after Reach was unveiled? Well I submitted that emblem below for it, you might have seen it somewhere before. I didn't win the contest, but it was in the game. For Halo 4, I had to unlock it and that was quite frankly really stupid.

0YB6hvf.gif
HhCzMoT.gif

You're locking out player customization for the sake of making yourself a birthday cake. The sad thing is that I can see this trend of locking out player identity continuing into Halo 5/One.

I agree that it's bullshit that you had to unlock your own emblem, but I'm not sure how 343 could've automatically locked it out for you. I also agree that it's bullshit that they removed a bunch of emblems like the marathon/reclaimer emblem, they had their own design of the logo, they could've used that.

I don't agree with what 343 did, I'm just saying that I understand why they did it, they were trying to compensate for lacking in other areas.

Unfortunately, you are probably right, the industry is moving towards micro-transactions, and it's frustrating to completionists, but monkey see, monkey do, I guess.

And about the monitor emblem, it's not like it's locked behind getting 1000 kills or anything, just go play a match of Halo 4. I understand what you are saying about the LIVE deal, but Bungie did the same thing to get the Blue Flames or Recon, you had to be connected to LIVE and Bungie.net. I can't really think of anytime that a player that wasn't connected to LIVE would really want the monitor emblem.

Machinima purposes? Maybe?

But even then to grind out all of the armor, they would have to be connected to LIVE in order to get the XP in the minimum time possible.

Top Bottom